• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EDGE: The next Xbox: Always online, no second-hand games, 50GB Blu-ray and new kinect

Hanmik

http://www.edge-online.com/news/the...hand-games-50gb-blu-ray-discs-and-new-kinect/

Microsoft’s next console will require an Internet connection in order to function, ruling out a second-hand game market for the platform. A new iteration of Xbox Live will be an integral part of Microsoft’s next console, while improved Kinect hardware will also ship alongside the unit.

Sources with first-hand experience of Microsoft’s next generation console have told us that although the next Xbox will be absolutely committed to online functionality, games will still be made available to purchase in physical form. Next Xbox games will be manufactured on 50GB-capacity Blu-ray discs, Microsoft having conceded defeat to Sony following its ill-fated backing of the HD-DVD format. It is believed that games purchased on disc will ship with activation codes, and will have no value beyond the initial user.

Our source has also confirmed that the next Xbox’s recently rumoured specs are entirely accurate. That means an AMD eight-core x64 1.6GHz CPU, a D3D11.x 800MHz graphics solution and 8GB of DDR3 RAM. As of now, the console’s hard drive capacity is said to be undecided, but Microsoft’s extended commitment to online delivery suggests that it will be the largest unit it has put inside a console to date.

Though the architectures of the next-gen Xbox and PlayStation both resemble that of PCs, several development sources have told us that Sony’s solution is preferable when it comes to leveraging power. Studios working with the next-gen Xbox are currently being forced to work with only approved development libraries, while Sony is encouraging coders to get closer to the metal of its box. Furthermore, the operating system overhead of Microsoft’s next console is more oppressive than Sony’s equivalent, giving the PlayStation-badged unit another advantage.

Unlike Nintendo, Microsoft is continuing to invest heavily in motion-control interfaces, and a new, more reliably responsive Kinect will also ship alongside the next Xbox. Sony’s next-generation console camera system is said to have a similar set of features, and is expected to be discussed at the company’s PlayStation event on February 20.

You can read more about how Sony’s next generation console compares in last week’s story, PlayStation 4 revealed.

Nibel

No second hand games?

i8LsCoqiRpokg.gif

Hoo-doo

Banned
No way it will require an internet connection. Absolutely zero fucking chance.

Think about kids having a console in their bedrooms, or the mass of people that never even bothered to connect their consoles to the net in the first place. They are never going to abandon that group so suddenly.

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
their is same rumors for sony going always online so dont start bashing ms just yet

Sophia

So in otherwords, if I want to take my Xbox some place where I won't have internet, like relatives, I'm SOL?

Screw that if true.

ranmafan

While my interest in the next Xbox was low already since I live in Japan, if they went down the no used game route I would never ever consider getting one. I just hope Sony doesn't follow suit.

Zizbuka

Banned
Clever marking by Microsoft; release horrible rumor, when only half of said rumors are true people celebrate.

Think about kids having a console in their bedrooms, or the mass of people that never even bothered to connect their consoles to the net in the first place. They are never going to abandon that group so suddenly.

That demographic is not online paying for Xbox Live or buying DLC. They're expendable.

keit4

Banned
I don't believe the "always connected" part. The second hand thing can be true, according to some reports Sony is going to do the same.

Sid

Interenet required just for game activation like that other rumor mentioned
Physical boxed titles will remain on sale in shops, but "activation codes" will need to be verified online, the report adds.

dc89

Isn't the PS4 supposed to prevent 2nd hand games from working too?

They have a patent which can block second hand games from working using a RF tag and stuff.

If any console blocks used games, I'm out. It's not like I actually buy many used games, I'd say I've only bought 2 used games in the past year. But it's principle for me.

Top Bottom