• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EDGE: The next Xbox: Always online, no second-hand games, 50GB Blu-ray and new kinect

bede-x

So basically it will be like retail PC games with Steam codes. Not surprising.

Maybe not, but still horrible. Not supporting anti-consumer moves like this by Microsoft and Valve as much as possible. What'll be next? They take our games away if we don't agree to their EULA? Oh wait...

Drek

Though the architectures of the next-gen Xbox and PlayStation both resemble that of PCs, several development sources have told us that Sony’s solution is preferable when it comes to leveraging power. Studios working with the next-gen Xbox are currently being forced to work with only approved development libraries, while Sony is encouraging coders to get closer to the metal of its box. Furthermore, the operating system overhead of Microsoft’s next console is more oppressive than Sony’s equivalent, giving the PlayStation-badged unit another advantage

That shit makes Tim Lotte's comment about a more restrictive, layered environment on Durango sound a lot more likely as well.

Despera

Banned
Why do people think this is so crazy and outrageous when everyone buys PC games with these restrictions everyday?
I refused to buy Diablo III specifically for this reason, and all my friends did so as well.

And even if I wanted to support such DRM measures, I can't. Where I live the internet is just so damn inconsistent.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Please consumers. Please be smart enough to realise when you're being lead up the garden path to be shot in the back of the head. Do not support this console if this all turns out to be true.

Saying that, we're fucking doomed if both PS4 and 720 do this. Gaddamit.

PBY

Banned
I have a hard time thinking MS would do this without knowing Sony would too. They are greedy, not dumb.

Kokonoe

Banned
-Internet required
-No used games
-Can only use a disc on one console

If any of these three things are true I am not interested.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
Please consumers. Please be smart enough to realise when you're being lead up the garden path to be shot in the back of the head. Do not support this console if this all turns out to be true.

They already happily pay to play their purchased games online. Why would they start caring about being dicked now?

Were I to shake my head at the idea of no used games I fear I would not be able to stop until my head fell off.

The only way this even half functions is if MS and Sony both, as rumoured, go this route. Even then, I'd probably forgo both consoles initially and make PC my main gaming platform until discount prices for first-hand games were more readily available in the marketplace.

Refusing to believe this only because I don't think Microsoft is stupid enough to require always on internet AND block second hand games.

Galang

Banned
No way this is true. I would be really really disappointed if both consoles required constant internet connection or something along those lines..

I refuse to believe these rumours are true, if they aren't then forget shooting themselves in the foot, Microsoft may as well be chopping their own legs off. It basically cuts off a large segment of the mass market, those on low incomes and children, both of which primarily buy used games.

This is soo stupid, i can't find proper word to describe it.

I'm just hoping MS will change their mind in the meantime, this will make their fans go rage.

Linkified

Not caring so much about second-hand games, I would be more concerned about this:

Although I guess MS may relax restrictions later. But still...

Isn't that what Sony did this gen though encourage third parties to get to the metal of the box without producing good enough tools to do it?

velociraptor

Sounds great! The prices of games will be comparable to Steam right, and regularly available cheaper through 3rd party sellers? Right guys? Guys?

I highly doubt it.

Games on Steam ARE expensive. £30-40 for new releases is fucking insane.

DD prices on the PS3 store are even more crazy. £60 for PS3 downloads.

Fuck DD.

Stuart444

I take this with a pinch of salt (same with the Sony one mentioned before) but

If this was true and if the PS4 preventing used games is true then it would spell the end for Non-nintendo consoles. There would be a huge backlash from consumers (obvious reason), Gamestop, GAME, etc since they wouldn't be able to stock used games anymore. While the former means lower than expected sales (since people who don't care will still buy the consoles), the latter could easily make GS, GAME, etc refuse to stock the consoles (and games for the consoles) entirely.

Now that would really help end both Sony and MS' console career.

Still, I'm hoping neither of the rumours like this are true.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
The only way I see this working is if the games deliver on really frickin' massive Steam-sale scale discounts during key times of the year, or if the launch day RRP will be lowered. I doubt either is going to happen, to be honest.

Can't see Microsoft doing this with one time activation codes and Sony not following suit.

Think we could see this across both consoles. Or at the very least have the system in place for publishers to do so if they wish, the likes of EA and Activision will have wanted the infrastructure there to make this happen.

King_Moc

Banned
Why do people think this is so crazy and outrageous when everyone buys PC games with these restrictions everyday?

The rrp for a PC game isn't £50. You can get the majority if games at launch for £20-£25. Makes the lack of resell value far more reasonable.

Coupled with their diminished list of exclusives, this new xbox is sounding like a gamers worst nightmare.

Yeaaaahhh I don't see this happening. Really. Many people's major contact with games is second hand. Those people buy the systems to play those second hand games. I thoroughly doubt Microsoft's research looks so different to all the other research which says second hand games are a vital purchasing market.

Our source has also confirmed that the next Xbox’s recently rumoured specs are entirely accurate. That means an AMD eight-core x64 1.6GHz CPU, a D3D11.x 800MHz graphics solution and 8GB of DDR3 RAM. As of now, the console’s hard drive capacity is said to be undecided, but Microsoft’s extended commitment to online delivery suggests that it will be the largest unit it has put inside a console to date.

Hmm.

So superDAE or Edge?

Sony please don't do this!

From the other thread:

Didn't Sony recently patent a method to prevent second hand game sales using RFID tags.

Yes.

Eurogamer said:
The idea sees individual game discs matched to user accounts. Games which have been associated with another user's account will be rejected.

Discs would come branded with a contactless tag which would be recognised and read by your console, using the same sort of NFC technology present in modern bank cards.

SmokyDave

They will do it and their bottom line won't take a hit. For all the uproar, people will soon forget and capitulate. Wait & see.

Kaako

Felium Defensor

Saying that, we're fucking doomed if both PS4 and 720 do this. Gaddamit.
Sadly, the majority of console demographic will buy it/them regardless of whether this rumor is true or not(hope not). Which is quite sad but out of our hands, mostly. I will be very pissed and disappointed if either MS/Sony go this route though.

Weren't there rumors of Sony going anti used games also this gen? They seemed to have died down with all the recent leaks, but I shall nor forget....

However if MS is the only company to block used games this gen, then PS4 purchase confirmed!

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
Trial balloon alert.

Until the NextBox reveal there's no way I'm going I believe any of this is set in stone.

MS is getting feedback and waiting for Sony to announce.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Isn't that what Sony did this gen though encourage third parties to get to the metal of the box without producing good enough tools to do it?

Not sure what you mean. Devs could go low level if they wanted. Or stay high level. Their choice.

Top Bottom