• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EDGE: The next Xbox: Always online, no second-hand games, 50GB Blu-ray and new kinect

CronoShot

ee9073fc50c7b0f472ded37f92b23807.gif

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Not caring so much about second-hand games, I would be more concerned about this:

Though the architectures of the next-gen Xbox and PlayStation both resemble that of PCs, several development sources have told us that Sony’s solution is preferable when it comes to leveraging power. Studios working with the next-gen Xbox are currently being forced to work with only approved development libraries, while Sony is encouraging coders to get closer to the metal of its box. Furthermore, the operating system overhead of Microsoft’s next console is more oppressive than Sony’s equivalent, giving the PlayStation-badged unit another advantage.

Although I guess MS may relax restrictions later. But still...

Though the architectures of the next-gen Xbox and PlayStation both resemble that of PCs, several development sources have told us that Sony’s solution is preferable when it comes to leveraging power. Studios working with the next-gen Xbox are currently being forced to work with only approved development libraries, while Sony is encouraging coders to get closer to the metal of its box. Furthermore, the operating system overhead of Microsoft’s next console is more oppressive than Sony’s equivalent, giving the PlayStation-badged unit another advantage.

Interesting. I don't really understand why they enforce that, if it gives them a disadvantage. Maybe BC for the future? Doesn't sound to clever when they are already behind power-wise.

Murrah

Banned
But everyone on gaf assured me this always online, no secondhand games future was still a ways away

If only god was still alive to see this

anddo0

This can't possibly be true.. MS might as well put a gun to their head.
Sony better not be this stupid. I don't think this is true, it can't be.

Kariodude

Banned
Always online
Dumb
No second-hand games
Double Dumb
50GB Blu-ray
Late
New kinect
Triple dumb

In recent months I've finally realized how much of a waste paying for Xbox Live is. If the anti-used games thing is true, I guess I'll complete my transition to PC gaming and have to miss out on their boring exclusive games.

plainr_

I can live with no second hand games since I don't buy much games, but I refuse to have my console online in order to work.

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
What if both the consoles do the same thing? PC Gaming would EXPLODE this fall.

pc gaming already has this problem .... steam , diablo , activation codes, why is pc gaming salvation when they will only be doing what pc gaming has done for years ?

Duffyside

Banned
Always-pay-to-be-online.

"XBox Live Gold has now added even more value to our incredible customers, by allowing them to play even their single-player games, while others can't."

Sounds great! The prices of games will be comparable to Steam right, and regularly available cheaper through 3rd party sellers? Right guys? Guys?

Whilst its possible I find it hard to believe. Microsoft has had the chance to put in online passes on their games (Gears, Halo, Forza etc) and yet have never done it (compared to the likes of THQ, Sony, Ubisoft, EA) so it would seem like a drastic change of position if they suddenly forced activation codes with games.

ugoo18

Ugh this no second hand rumor is getting annoying, i really hope it's not true.

EDIT: Always online -_-

Diablo 3 taught me the pain of that, i'll be skipping Sim City 5 because of it :(

I definitely hope that's not true.

Hindle

Banned
Historically how accurate are Edge rumours? In the months leading up to the this gens reveal were thier rumours regarding the 360 and PS3 true?

TheOddOne

New kinect and no second-hand games? Get hype!!!

Praise our Sony overlords.
Mmmm:
Unlike Nintendo, Microsoft is continuing to invest heavily in motion-control interfaces, and a new, more reliably responsive Kinect will also ship alongside the next Xbox. Sony’s next-generation console camera system is said to have a similar set of features, and is expected to be discussed at the company’s PlayStation event on February 20.
Kinect for everybody.

Speevy

Banned
Wow.

This means lots of people here will proclaim this product dead on arrival while it becomes the market leader.

Xater

No thank you MS if this is true. You have 0 chance of my being your console. If Sony does the same I no longer have a reason to play on these consoles at all. Will go to PC gaming instead.

gaming_noob

If true then I'm skipping Xbox as well. How can anyone support a console that strips so many rights from the consumer?

If Sony follows (and if this rumor is in any way true), it's time to build a new gaming rig it seems, godspeed consoles you had a good run.

PC has this problem already I know, but if consoles follow this trend then I'll just stick to a more open system

slider

If MS is doing this it'll be in conjunction with third parties I assume. The corollary being Sony must be on board too.

Hmm. Will wait for more details before making an informed decision.

Top Bottom