• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EDGE: The next Xbox: Always online, no second-hand games, 50GB Blu-ray and new kinect

javac

We still have the Wii U... right?

Its not so much as Wii U VS the world, on the contrary. Its just, people always state that customers shouldn't put up with Nintendo's 'shenanigans' in regards to power, online etc. Now that the outlook for 720/PS4 could be grim (maybe not! It could be false info, or not as bad as we thought even) and I'm just curious if the tune will indeed change for the new consoles or will the pied piper continue to play its tune in the so called 'echo chamber' despite the fact you cant play second hand games even though its more anti consumer then anything done by the 'other' party.

Its no big deal if someone buys the 720/PS4 even if it does indeed have this 'feature' and no one will hold it against them and it doesn't make them 'fanboys' it just more to do with the shoes on the other foot.

Seriously, this would be terrible. I don't even want to contemplate what would happen if both Sony and Microsoft did this. I don't like people who say doomed, but yeah. The thing should be torn to fucking pieces in the media and by gamers if this is the case.

Pooya

I'm okay with this if it means they'll:

A) Encourage third parties to release non-blockbuster games (i.e. games that aren't Call of Duty, Assassin's Creed or Madden) at less than $60.

B) Have Steam like sales on legacy content.

It's safe to assume, it won't. this is just a response to all the used games are killing industry blah blah.

Wow.

This means lots of people here will proclaim this product dead on arrival while it becomes the market leader.

Yep. Loving the melt downs.

My 360 is always on the internet, so is my PS3 and PC. No big deal to me. 2nd hand games well..again, i like to keep my games but i think people should wait for confirmatoin before jumping off the boat as usual.

The horror of no second hand games is terrible, but I guess I could see Microsoft doing that in some weird way. (will not buy if true though)
What makes this seem untrue to me is the always online function, this would be a complete 180 from Microsoft's push into the casual market with the Kinect.

Please Sony, don't follow in Microsoft's footsteps.

Look, see...

ibqYNFif5Q7k2O.gif

There's a face you can trust.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
WiiU, WiiU, WiiU.

No way - all the companies will be behind the "no second hand" idea/consoles due to the misguided belief that second hand sales are a terrible evil in this industry, which means all the third party support will go to them and the Wii U is left for dust. Again. :<

I take this with a pinch of salt (same with the Sony one mentioned before) but

If this was true and if the PS4 preventing used games is true then it would spell the end for Non-nintendo consoles. There would be a huge backlash from consumers (obvious reason), Gamestop, GAME, etc since they wouldn't be able to stock used games anymore. While the former means lower than expected sales (since people who don't care will still buy the consoles), the latter could easily make GS, GAME, etc refuse to stock the consoles (and games for the consoles) entirely.

Now that would really help end both Sony and MS' console career.

Still, I'm hoping neither of the rumours like this are true.

I don't think you understand. This feature will be there because publishers want this. If you don't want this, you will have to ignore all non-Nintendo games too (oh, and have fun with region-locked Nintendo games).

slider

I'm wondering how to lessen the blow. Or at least the perception of it.

Online passcodes, or a variation of it, is the obvious one but that sucks too (as someone who has never bought secondhand). Hmm.

miksar

I'm sure most of you who complain about second-hand games and internet-only will buy one, probably even at launch. Unfortunately gamers are very forgiving when it comes to such bullshit.

XenodudeX

Its not so much as Wii U VS the world, on the contrary. Its just, people always state that customers shouldn't put up with Nintendo's 'shenanigans' in regards to power, online etc. Now that the outlook for 720/PS4 could be grim (maybe not! It could be false info, or not as bad as we thought even) and I'm just curious if the tune will indeed change for the new consoles or will the pied piper continue to play its tune in the so called 'echo chamber' despite the fact you cant play second hand games even though its more anti consumer then anything done by the 'other' party.

Its no big deal if someone buys the 720/PS4 even if it does indeed have this 'feature' and no one will hold it against them and it doesn't make them 'fanboys' it just more to do with the shoes on the other foot.

Lets face it, people will bitch and moan about, but will still buy it in droves. Sony and Microsoft knows this for a fact.

lefantome

All the rumors pointing me towards: "I'm not buying the console" hopefully in few weeks we will se what sony has to offer.

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
Why do I have a feeling that some of these articles are done on purpose to just dick around with people being obsessed with rumours before any official reveals? This stuff is crazy.

Omikaru

Oh dear. This further cements me not getting Durango if it's true. I really, really, really hope Sony don't go down this path.

If I ever bought a console that did this, I'd definitely wait until bomba prices before buying a game. No way I'm paying £30-£40 for something I can't sell.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Definte deal-breaker if Sony and MS go through with this "no second-hand" bullshit. Always online is also a terrible concept, but I'll live with it though.

so... it begins.

not that I'm presuming Sony and MS won't BOTH do this (either both or neither, anything else is suicide), but talk of devs finding it harder to code for etc, on top of the lower paper specs has me really hoping that Sony unveil the PS4 with a controller I don't hate (I hate the DS3 personally).

It's the main thing that gives me pause when it comes to buying a PS4 before a Durango. Maybe third parties will come to the rescue, but usually third parties controllers are shit too.

dan2026

You guys cant seriously believe any of this?

There is zero chance of the xbox needing to be always online, zero, zero, zero.
Maybe in twenty years when internet connections are better and more importantly everywhere. But for now zero chance.

Also for the anti-secong hand games thing, is extremely unlikely.
Are they really going to cut out all the high street stores.
I doubt it.

You guys are fools if you believe this rubbish.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
On further thought, the 'requiring an internet connection' bit, to merely function, seems really crazy.

Then again I guess they need that to do the second hand thing :/

Hoo-doo

Banned
To be fair, none of these things would dissuade me from a purchase, really.
Never buy used and have reliable fast internet.

The always-online thing would just be way less convenient, and bring lots of headaches to the experience of playing a console. Hope they decide against.

Riposte

I see this as fumbling the football. Now to see if Sony grabs the ball... and run straight out of bounds for no damn reason.

madmackem

their is same rumors for sony going always online so dont start bashing ms just yet

Ill bash all them if they go this route, its fucking silly and rules out a large market. Also no second hand games fuck that, i often by second hand games or sell my games on to friends and family.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.

Haha, I rescind the "good people" status. You're clearly playing a side here. A shame, maybe you'll mature over the years when you gain more for funds for easy multi-console ownership.

I guess the irony is Nintendo couldnt even do this with the WiiU if they tried due to the lack of an account system and owning your games to redownload across boxes.

Since the device is aimed as a television streaming device for the usa, they better have some really really great exclusive games for me as a european to buy it. Rght now, it sounds like just a ps4 WiiU combo for me.

Online activation is fine, I need to go through that same shit with my Steam games. However, always-on as a requirement would be unacceptable. Getting a boot out of the game or whatever I'm doing every time my connection hiccups? No, thanks.

Steroyd

I generally buy games when they're so cheap there's almost no point in re-selling anyway.

That being said, I do tend to sell Pro Evo/Fifa [insert year] every year when the new one is out, so it would be absolutely shitty to be stuck with every iteration of Fifa/PES during the duration of the PS4/Nextbox era.

Also it's sounding like the roles are reversed in which company is providing the more developer friendly environment to develop on, very interesting.

Xater

Lets face it, people will bitch and moan about, but will still buy it in droves. Sony and Microsoft knows this for a fact.

Will they? I am really not so sure about it. I don't think the general consumer is that dumb. I mean how did the PSP Go work out for Sony?

Top Bottom