• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PopGAF |OT5| We Are Bionic, So Damn Bionic

Status
Not open for further replies.

royalan

0XjlnCH.png

HELLO! *.*

I am Royalan (pronounced Roy-keeps-you-pressed), and WELCOME to the fifth iteration of the IconiC PopGAF - The OT GAF loves to hate but secretly wants to penetrate. Here, the musically superior amongst our GAF brethren and sistren gather to sample the Tea and Crumpet of Pop music, pop culture, Stan culture, the art of Kiiii, and the general Shade of it all. So pull up a seat, lurk and be blessed. Or, if your lacefront is laid like world peace, state your faves and join in on the fun. *.*

kaWrrdR.png

While many things get discussed in this OT and passionately so (...just don't attempt to discuss video games or Mariah Carey's deteriorating whistle register at length or prepare to be dragged from on high), the MUSIC is ultimately why we're all here. As the late, great Madonna once said many, many years ago: music makes the people come together.

Now, I will shamelessly be pulling a Beyonce with this section and getting "inspiration" from the iconic sistren Aguila's time-tested and flawless format with posting the release dates and artwork for all OT-related albums, EPs, singles, as well as videos, month-to-month, for as long as this OT lasts. You'll find the sections below.

You may also notice on occasion that artists/songs/albums that don't immediately smack of Pop will be listed in the OT. This is a common occurrence as the modern definition of what counts as "Pop" tends to be very broad, and often you'll see the genre expand to include any type of sound/movement that becomes a popular cultural moment. (except for 2 Chainz. GAF-HOP can keep that shit)

March

Albums/EPs
GBP3h9Y.png
CSMF5TT.png
tqMA3uw.png
yt627W2.png

Singles

Music Videos

5bOiVHA.png

The lifeblood of PopGAF, the individual members are the RedOne to our Lady Gaga - and this OT wouldn't slay the lessors so effortlessly without the knowledgeable contributions from the regulars.

As such, I was also inspired by Aguila's iconic star system, and it will be continued here.

Diamond Star (Worth 4 Gold Stars) - Awarded to the most steadfast among us who make it their life's work to constantly provide the OT with riveting original content.
Gold Star (Worth 2 Silver Stars) - Awarded to members who post in-depth reviews of all the albums we care about (and even the albums #neaux1curr about).
Silver Star - Awarded to those members who provide the OT with entertainment that, while not Gold Star worthy, nevertheless gave us all a good kii and required a bit more work than a typical post.
The Dust Star - Paid to members who make it their life's work to keep the OT eternally presseD.

Note to PopGAF: New OT. Clean Slate.
But please don't hesistate to check out |OT4| for a comprehensive list of all our star members. *.*

|OT5| Star Members *.*

ZIWCYo7.png
idiynw9.png
kDZAk2Y.png

Nemesis (Platinum) - For his tireless work not only in keeping PopGAF swimming in album reviews, tour reviews, and gifs, but for keeping us technologically clocking the lesser OTs with his PopGAF script (see below).

Botty (Platinum) - For his critically acclaimed directorial debut: Pop Gaf: The Movie (Argo tried iT).

Supermanisdead (Gold) - For his...ahem...dedication to the Beyhive and edifying PopGAF with Beyonce's 20 Best Songs.

The Graveyard ;______;
For all our fallen sistren - some to be Rise Up soon, others to never return again.

j6mNpIq.png
8WFRQ8K.png

0Oycfzp.gif
Join us in our Plug.dj room!(Be sure to mention you are a gaffer to keep from being kicked
Christina Aguilera shade is also a punishable offense
)

kS5Zff4.gif
Minus accounts for all your giffing needs can be found for the following members: Koodo | Second | Marius_ | Nemesis_ | Pupi18 | botty | Aguila

lR31ASA.gif
Previous OTs: OT1 | OT2 | OT3 | OT4

Updated for the new OT.

YOU MUST REMOVE YOUR OLD VERSION before USING THIS ONE

Ca425.png

INTRODUCING the POPGAF USER SCRIPT.

• Jump to your latest unread post in PopGAF OT5
  • Easy and quick access to the (new) Plug.DJ room
  • STYLISH LOOK to match NeoGAF
  • Compatible with FireFox, Safari and Chrome
To install: UserScripts.org

To install on FireFox: You need to install GreaseMonkey first, then install the script from UserScripts
To install on Chrome: You can either install TamperMonkey or manually drag and drop it to the extensions window.
ie. Save the script to your computer, navigate to Menu -> Tools -> Extensions and then drag and drop the saved script to the extensions menu.​

To install on Safari: You have to follow a weird process that you can find at SimpleHelp.net

If you have Internet Explorer you don't deserve to use this tbh, sorry.

Give me a star TBH I can't believe you wiped them

NOTE: This is only going to work for OT5. I will update as each new OT comes along.

STAY TUNED FOR MORE EXCITING UPDATES TO THE OT. I HAVE SOME FUN THINGS PLANNED. I'LL LET YOU TROLLOPS KNOW AS IT HAPPENS.

|OT5| Has been brought to you by the following Beyoncé range of products:

iyepQ869RBFzz.gif
iy5JgBpKIDZDH.gif

DMeisterJ

Banned
BEGINNING OF THREAD NEW NEWS

BILLBOARD NOW USES YOUTUBE VIEWS IN CALCULATING THE HOT 100

HARLEM SHAKE IS YOUR #1 THIS WEEK

STAY IS #3

WHAT KIND OF FUCKERY

RIH IS GOING TO CLOCK SO MANY #1s #iCANT

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
This is amazing tho, 1D, Nicki, Justin, and Gaga now have a chance of debuting higher with the latter possibly debuting at #1

PSY must be seething tho
ahh.gif

DMeisterJ

Banned
This is amazing tho, 1D, Nicki, Justin, and Gaga now have a chance of debuting higher with the latter possibly debuting at #1

PSY must be seething tho
ahh.gif

It's going to be so easy for everyone with impacT to clock #1s. Gaga will, Rih will, JT will, La Nina will, etc as long as the video and single are released the same week. Especially if you clock a Radio deal like Justin did the for 100M AI in the first 7 days.

This is some mess.

Koodo

Banned
It's going to be so easy for everyone with impacT to clock #1s. Gaga will, Rih will, JT will, La Nina will, etc as long as the video and single are released the same week. Especially if you clock a Radio deal like Justin did the for 100M AI in the first 7 days.

This is some mess.
Justine?

None of her videos this era have broken 10 million views yet.

Do we know the exact formula? What % of the formula will be off Youtube?

I would doubt it is THAT much.

My guess:
Airplay 30%
Downloads 30%
Streaming 15%
Youtube 15%

Or it could be a less drastic change
Airplay 40%
Sales 40%
Streaming 15%
Youtube 5%

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
Do we know the exact formula? What % of the formula will be off Youtube?

I would doubt it is THAT much.

My guess:
Airplay 30%
Downloads 30%
Streaming 15%
Youtube 15%

Or it could be a less drastic change
Airplay 40%
Sales 40%
Streaming 15%
Youtube 5%

well....

sales of 262,000 downloads. That sales sum alone, good for a No. 3 ranking on Hot Digital Songs, would have placed the track within the top 15 on the Hot 100 without the inclusion of YouTube streams into the calculation.

As "Shake" takes over atop the Hot 100 (and Dance/Electronic Songs, where it leaps from No. 12), it dethrones Macklemore & Ryan Lewis' "Thrift Shop," featuring Wanz, after a four-week reign. Showing just how strong "Shake" is in streaming, "Shop" registered an impressive 10.1 million streams in the chart's tracking week (dipping 1-2 on Streaming Songs), but the figure is clearly exponentially lower than the 103 million for "Shake." "Shake," in fact, leads the Hot 100 with three-and-a-half times the overall chart points total of "Shop."

We will see. Thats a massive jump.....

Though it could be GREAT for 1D. So not sure whether I want to complain or not.

Here is my main question. Billboard is supposed to be US based.... do they filter out views from other countries?

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
We will see. Thats a massive jump.....

Though it could be GREAT for 1D. So not sure whether I want to complain or not.

Here is my main question. Billboard is supposed to be US based.... do they filter out views from other countries?

Youtube knows from what region a video is being watched so its only US based.

And I guess we are going to be making more threads in the OT once our faves releases their videos for that promo, not that we already dont

Ugh. The more I think about the change the less satisfied I am with it.

I can stand 3/4 weeks a year where the #1 is a viral video. However, I think it will be SIGNIFICANTLY more than that.

It will help 1D. Hell.... One Way Or Another could go top 10 this week.

However, it could lock Kelly out of #1 since her video's are pretty "meh".

SCREAMING @ the H100 rules, tho they make sense

I agree. It was coming eventually.

It NEEDS to be possible to go #1 without a hit music video though if you have enough airplay/sales.

Harlem is going #1 with virtually NO airplay at all and significantly less total sales than Thrift Shop.

royalan

I agree. It was coming eventually.

It NEEDS to be possible to go #1 without a hit music video though if you have enough airplay/sales.

Agreed.

Ultimately, I think this is a silly move and part of me thinks (WANTS to think) that it won't last long.

I mean, there are so many factors when it comes to what makes a Youtube video popular, and a LOT of them don't have shit to do with the actual song that's playing. And, frankly, I don't want to see any #1s clocked by the latest boyband of the moment because their videos rake in millions of views from horny preteen girls who want to see cute boys act dopey and homoerotic and couldn't give a shit about the song (sorry Waffle/Marius).

I think this could make things more confusing and unfair in the long run.

EDIT: THANKS EVERYONE FOR THE COMPLIMENTS!!!! *.*

Koodo

Banned
Agreed.

Ultimately, I think this is a silly move and part of me thinks (WANTS to think) that it won't last long.

I mean, there are so many factors when it comes to what makes a Youtube video popular, and a LOT of them don't have shit to do with the actual song that's playing. And, frankly, I don't want to see any #1s clocked by the latest boyband of the moment because they're videos rank in millions of views from horny preteen girls who want to see cute boys act dopey and homoerotic and couldn't give a shit about the song (sorry Waffle/Marius).

Gerl, that's not even the worst part:

Billboard said:
Billboard is now incorporating all official videos on YouTube captured by Nielsen's streaming measurement, including Vevo on YouTube, and user-generated clips that utilize authorized audio into the Hot 100 and the Hot 100 formula-based genre charts
ibyKL6lKwolQeB.gif

cory64

It's a factor that needed to be represented but it's going to get so messy.
There should be a 2 minute minimum for inclusion.

Agreed.

I mean, there are so many factors when it comes to what makes a Youtube video popular, and a LOT of them don't have shit to do with the actual song that's playing. And, frankly, I don't want to see any #1s clocked by the latest boyband of the moment because their videos rake in millions of views from horny preteen girls who want to see cute boys act dopey and homoerotic and couldn't give a shit about the song (sorry Waffle/Marius).

I am going to wait a few weeks to see how it plays out before I make any concrete judgement.

Another major issue is that it could unfairly favor uptempo tracks which tend to get significantly more parody/fan tracks. I can't see a ballad ever doing what Harlem Shake/Gangnam Style/1D/Bieber/etc have done spawning massive quantities of support video's.

Maybe they could put a cap? Or maybe award pointed based on position (#1 song on youtube gets X points, #2 Y, etc).

Also:

iblOJeXkxOJmpf.gif

This change will definitely favor 1D who struggle on radio due to their lack of cross format appeal.

....but poor Kelly. Her bread and butter is radio.

DMeisterJ

Banned
Viral videos are coming to clock the Hot 100 this whole year. Videos are going to be made with the intention of strictly going viral and nothing else. Harlem Shake is just the start. The big names will clock #1s but the smaller ones will not.

Great job on the OT Roy! I don't even mind Bionic being in the thread title, because lately I've been bopping to "Lift Me Up" and "You Lost Me" on Spotify.

I look forward to what this thread shall bring. I expect Avril to slay us during this OT run. Kelly will probably have "People Like Us" smashing on the radio as well. So many great things I expect to happen.

Oh, and speaking of Kelly, I didn't get to reply to that Clive mess in that last thread. Clive can go on with his old grinch self. He needs to leave my Queen alone, and go to a retirement home or something. Such bad taste that man has.

And for off-topicness, I really want a PS4 like right now.
DAMN!!!!

brb

So glad you are back.

cory64

At least this means that it's always going to be an "exciting" #1 even if it's just viral bait. *cough*One More Night*cough*

At least this means that it's always going to be an "exciting" #1 even if it's just viral bait. *cough*One More Night*cough*

Lol. Not sure whether it would change anything. One More Night has plenty of views on Youtube.

What I HOPE this doesn't do is make artists wait to release music video's until they are nearing their peak to try to game a #1. The big video artists could debut at #1 from a video but the mid tier artists would not be able to..... and so they may try it.

I've been wanting to ask this for a while... is Godel permanently banned? I thought he was temporarily banned due to him wanting to focus on life or something? I miss his posts.

cory64

Stay would have been at #2 if it only counted full-song plays.

Lol. Not sure whether it would change anything. One More Night has plenty of views on Youtube.

What I HOPE this doesn't do is make artists wait to release music video's until they are nearing their peak to try to game a #1. The big video artists could debut at #1 from a video but the mid tier artists would not be able to..... and so they may try it.
Yeah, this is a similar situation to what happened in the mid-90s when you could only chart with a physical single.

Koodo

Banned
I've been wanting to ask this for a while... is Godel permanently banned? I thought he was temporarily banned due to him wanting to focus on life or something? I miss his posts.
The good sis is focusing on ha education and should be back in two months or so.

Bladenic

What the fuq at them rules. Absolutely awful. Music is dead.

In a way it's kind of good because it makes music videos relevant again, but shit like Gangnam Style is gonna clock 6 months at #1.

Koodo

Banned
Another thing is that it's now easier than ever for obscure acts to break through. There have been so many great songs in the past that have gone unfairly unnoticed.

Run from Angela Vickers
I saw her with you
Monday morning small talking on the avenue

katy-perry-teenage-drqbs5k.gif

She's got a fancy car
She wants to take you far
From the city lights and sounds deep into the dark

katy-perry-teenage-dr28itu.gif

Another thing is that it's now easier than ever for obscure acts to break through. There have been so many great songs in the past that have gone unfairly unnoticed.

Meh. Not sure about that.

I don't really see that any more unknown artists break through and have huge hit youtube videos than break through on radio.

If anything it will make it harder for new artists as we play ring around the rosy as each big name act goes #1 on their debut week with Sales+Streaming+Youtube.

botty

Banned
I wonder how this will effect how artist put out videos. They might try to make them as trendy as possible... Like Single Ladies, or Gangnum shit

royalan

Loreen (remember her?) premiered the music video for her
ethereal-but-boring
song "heal" today:

The video is actually quite well-done. I'm always amazed at how small-named artists manage to pull off such expensive-looking videos.

On that same token, Bat For Lashes might have just released the trippiest video I've seen so far this year for her song "Lillies":

In other news, some chick with an EP named Stacy Barthe just released a song called "Lonely Disco Ball". This track is notable for once being slated for Cassie's sophomore album as far back as '11. It's quite a bop, as well.

Nemesis_

Updated for the new OT.

YOU MUST REMOVE YOUR OLD VERSION before USING THIS ONE

Ca425.png

INTRODUCING the POPGAF USER SCRIPT.

• Jump to your latest unread post in PopGAF OT5
  • Easy and quick access to the (new) Plug.DJ room
  • STYLISH LOOK to match NeoGAF
  • Compatible with FireFox, Safari and Chrome
To install: UserScripts.org

To install on FireFox: You need to install GreaseMonkey first, then install the script from UserScripts
To install on Chrome: You can either install TamperMonkey or manually drag and drop it to the extensions window.
ie. Save the script to your computer, navigate to Menu -> Tools -> Extensions and then drag and drop the saved script to the extensions menu.​

To install on Safari: You have to follow a weird process that you can find at SimpleHelp.net

If you have Internet Explorer you don't deserve to use this tbh, sorry.

Give me a star TBH I can't believe you wiped them

NOTE: This is only going to work for OT5. I will update as each new OT comes along.

cory64

"Shake," in fact, leads the Hot 100 with three-and-a-half times the overall chart points total of "Shop."

Streaming /325 = 316,923
Radio /7500 = 267
OD /125 = 2,472
Sales /12 = 21,833
Harlem Shake total = 341,495

Thrift Shop:
Streaming /325 = 31,077
Radio /7500 = 14,800
OD /125 = 16,000
Sales /12 = 34,333
Thrift Shop total = 96,210

ATRL wishes they had me.

Streaming /325 = 316,923
Radio /7500 = 267
OD /125 = 2,472
Sales /12 = 21,833
Harlem Shake total = 341,495

Thrift Shop:
Streaming /325 = 31,077
Radio /7500 = 14,800
OD /125 = 16,000
Sales /12 = 34,333
Thrift Shop total = 96,210

ATRL wishes they had me.

Thats just damn ridiculous.

Gross, the charts become even less relevant now.

But whew is even surprised tho, the era of true chart kings and queens is over. The fact that the latest lowest common denominator excrement that Maroon 5 (as a particularly egregious example) can stick around for so long tells you something's busted.

#stayinglotus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom