• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yoshida on Vita Remote Play: "We ask devs for PS Vita controller mapping"

RoKKeR

Paraphrased quote, but here's the full segment. Lock of old.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2013/02/21/interview-shu.aspx
Q: You showed us how you could use the Vita as a second screen in your living room. Is that local only, or is there any ambition with Gaikai to use that as a server and get further away in the living room?

A: Technically speaking, it works from anywhere, as far as you have a wi-fi connection from your Vita to the PlayStation 4. It needs to be wi-fi. However, for some games, when you play or connect from far away, it accumulates latency. Some games may not be playable, like fighting games or shooting games. But some other slower paced games will be playable. As long as you have home routers anywhere in your home, you can play every PlayStation 4 game. We ask developers when they finish the PlayStation 4 product and submit a master to make sure that they have the appropriate controller mapping to work on PS Vita. All games will work – unless it is a dance game [laughs].

I find this to be encouraging news. I was worried about Remote Play being limited to some titles, but it sounds like Sony will require PS Vita control mappings to be submitted along with the final build of the games. This is my most anticipated feature for PS4.

Skyzard

Banned
Incredible news! Really happy they seem to be pursuing this properly. Thanks Wii U! Although it did seem like the PS3 just couldn't cut it for most games. Glad it's finally happening though. Especially with standby!

Durante

That's great. I was a bit concerned about "most" games working, but it seems like that's just there to exclude stuff that e.g. depends on the PS eye.

IQ will be absolutely fantastic on Vita, if the games are downscaled from 1080p. 4xSSAA on 220ppi OLED yes please.

Gadirok

It only took Sony about 8 years and a full buyout of a company to do this.

Hopefully remote play actually gets supported with actual titles this time around.

I think sony requires devs for trophies on most PSN games so I guess vita control mapping shouldn't be too much trouble.

I am more concerned whether or not gaikai will deliver, it will either be hit or miss like remote play was before.

I do not have much faith in david perry and how 2moons felt as if it was shafted by acclaim back in the day. Kinda tipped me off MMOs back then. Immediately after I noticed the guy started working on cloud gaming technology (back when I had no interest in the eighth gen consoles or PS3) and ditched acclaim. Didn't imagine it would go anywhere.

Xbudz

Remote Play has the option to map buttons, and it's as easy as touching the screen.
Don't bother devs with your suggestions, Sony- just make the damn machine and OS work properly.

RoKKeR

How is this going to work for games that use L2/R2?
That's the entire point of the quote. Sony's asking them to alter control schemes to make it work. Whether it be a touchscreen or touchpad (back of Vita) function, they are asking for compatible control schemes.

mclem

Hmmm. The Vita has fewer controls than the DS4, hasn't it? If that's the case, there's no guarantee a 1:1 mapping is even possible, but if it's a requirement...

This strikes me as something that devs will find a pain in the arse to implement. In no way a major one, I ought to stress that, but suddenly they're completely obliged to consider a similar but not *quite* the same control scheme and make it as functional as the default.

Are L2 and R2 analogue on the DS4?

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I'm a bit confused--so is it as laggy as the current Remote Play? Because it sounds like it is when he's saying you can't play fighting games or shooting games. If so, dealbreaker.

Goon Boon

Banned
I'm really happy with this sort of mandate, but I really hope they eliminate most of the lag, remote play was neat but hell did it always lag.

wheapon

It sounds like it might not be a big improvement over the current Remote Play, which is too bad. I was looking forward to it. :(

RoKKeR

I'm a bit confused--so is it as laggy as the current Remote Play? Because it sounds like it is when he's saying you can't play fighting games or shooting games. If so, dealbreaker.

I think he was talking about playing from distances. He was talking about how it can technically work from anywhere, but the farther away you get, the more latency you accumulate. I think it suggests that if you're in the house with the PS4 latency should be fine. It's not like he's going to come out and say "Yeah it lags from your bedroom".

Danlord

I am so happy about this now. At first I did seem unsure as to when it mentioned "most" games work, but the clarification just puts that to rest. I know I will be spending more money on games next-gen, purely because of this. For me, some games are really good to enjoy on the big TV but sometimes, I just want to lay in bed and be super comfortable and this will be so great for that.

PSABR made touching the screen a button, and I'd say it works pretty well. Have the left half of the screen be L2 and the right half R2. I'm sure it'll be fine, especially since they've asked for the control scheme to have Vita in mind; L2/R2 should be mapped to less popular actions.

Baleoce

I'm happy with how that is worded. It means it's less likely I'll have to upgrade to a Vita v2.0 with L2/R2/L3/R3 shenanigans. Even if that would be more ideal than remapping. Wallet etc.

deviljho

He is confirming that there is some lag. Just that it is less noticeable/bothersome in certain games compared to others. Distance is a factor, but it's there will always be some baseline lag.

RoKKeR

so it's sorta mandatory no? he said "ask" so that means they don't have to.
"All games will work" sounds like it's mandatory. I don't think "ask" in this case is used in the polite, "do it if you want" form.

Seems to me like it will be a requirement to get your game onto PS4, similar to Trophies.

"All games will work" sounds like it's mandatory. I don't think "ask" in this case is used in the polite, "do it if you want" form.

Seems to me like it will be a requirement to get your game onto PS4, similar to Trophies.

aggressive sony is best sony.

Durante

In that part he's just saying distance (and wireless signal quality) affects latency.

I've actually missed that bit about them requiring devs to give them a master copy at time of release so they can do the remote play right this time - even though I've reposted it in multiple places haha. So awesome - really excited to hear that and finally take it in fully now.

Guess Who

Banned
PSABR made touching the screen a button, and I'd say it works pretty well. Have the left half of the screen be L2 and the right half R2. I'm sure it'll be fine, especially since they've asked for the control scheme to have Vita in mind; L2/R2 should be mapped to less popular actions.

Or, make the left half of the back touchpad L and the other half R.

RoKKeR

Hopefully they are able to iron out the input lag.

I like to think that, within a reasonable distance, the latency will be fairly low. Now, as opposed to what they did with PS3, the PS4 has a dedicated system (Gaikai) built in for this exact feature, and as a result I imagine that they're able to get a much smoother stream as a result.

Again, this is within reasonable distance, (same household) but I think it'll be a big improvement over PS3 remote play.

deviljho

In that part he's just saying distance (and wireless signal quality) affects latency.

It sounds like the signal goes from Vita to Router to PS4 to Router to Vita. There has to be some baseline of lag before you even get into distances and signal strength.

Robertto

Neo Member
awesome if it actually happens, much was promised with ps3 / psp remoter play at the ps3 reveal, hopefully this bears fruit

Or, make the left half of the back touchpad L and the other half R.

Or have the option to do either. Apparently, some people like to interlock their fingers around the back of the device (???????) when holding it. Aside from that, I've triggered the back pad unintentionally a few times so I'd prefer front. Then again, if I have to hold a face button at the same time then I'd be screwed. Maybe back is better.

DMeisterJ

Banned
Vita Remote play of the patched PS3 classics (GoW HD, SotC/Ico) works really well (only tried it with SotC so far), so I have high hopes for this.

RoKKeR

LPl.png

This makes me happy.

Darknight

I think Remote Play (think of it as 2.0 version) on PS4 is way more advanced than Remote Play ever was on PS3 simply because its a built in feature from the start. PS3 had it added or it was "optional". Even if it was, it was for smaller titles.

Also PSP was not that technically capable of playing PS3 games via stream and PS3->Vita is also limited like I said. PS4<->VITA remote play should be way better experience.

deviljho

I think Remote Play (think of it as 2.0 version) on PS4 is way more advanced than Remote Play ever was on PS3 simply because its a built in feature from the start. PS3 had it added or it was "optional". Even if it was, it was for smaller titles.

Also PSP was not that technically capable of playing PS3 games via stream and PS3->Vita is also limited like I said. PS4<->VITA remote play should be way better experience.

He's talking about the lag. No matter how nice the Vita hardware, how great the encoding on the PS4, this remote play has to go Vita > Router > PS4 > Router > Vita, I think. That will add lag no matter what, which isn't acceptable for some people in certain games.

Top Bottom