• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony considering Gold, Silver & Platinum memberships for PS4's online services

Nibel

Kazifiy if old (Note: I used Google Search and GAF's own search engine and found nothing)

Speaking to The Guardian following PlayStation 4's reveal last week, Yoshida suggested that Sony could take a leaf out of Microsoft's book for its upcoming console and adopt a "gold, silver or platinum" membership similar to Xbox LIVE.

"As more and more services and contents become available digitally, we'll have more of an option to create attractive packages," said Yoshida. "So hypothetically we can look at different models – like a cable TV company.

"We could have gold, silver or platinum levels of membership, something like that. We can do subscription services when we have more content – especially now that we have the Gaikai technology available. With one subscription you have access to thousands of games – that's our dream."

Source (Videogamer)

As long as what's on the PS3 now (online gaming, complete store access, media apps) is included with the free version, I'm ok with this.

Oppo

We did discuss this a little in the big Yoshida interview thread, at least briefly.

It's an interesting idea, but I'd be worried about creating confusion.

That said if they do this I suggest naming the next tier a nice Orwellian PlayStation Double-Plus Good.

I'm expecting online play and basic app access to remain free on a "silver" level, with the social features etc. revealed on the 20th to be behind the PS+ paywall. Once they have actual games streaming on the Gaikai service, that should be a "PS+ Platinum" kinda thing.

Platinum: 1st party games 'free,' everything else, £80 per year, unlimited friend list
Gold: PS+, added share and social features, £40 per year, extended friend list
Silver: Normal, free, cross game chat and multiplayer

Just keep online play free, don't care about all the rest.

Hope people make this loud and clear to Sony. They need to know through FB, twitter, the blog, everything and anything. Basic free online is probably the most important feature for me. If they want to add other levels with better features, fine.

Hanmik

this is the qoute from the Guardian..

On that subject, I really expected you to announce a "Spotify for games"-type service, allowing gamers to sign up and pay a monthly fee to access as many titles as they like. Is that something we can look forward to?

As more and more services and contents become available digitally, we'll have more of an option to create attractive packages. So hypothetically we can look at different models – like a cable TV company. We could have gold, silver or platinum levels of membership, something like that. We can do subscription services when we have more content – especially now that we have the Gaikai technology available. With one subscription you have access to thousands of games – that's our dream.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/gamesblog/2013/feb/22/ps4-shuhei-yoshida-interview

Nibel

I think that people who think that the most essential feature - online play - will be free are in for a surprise

Gold/Platinum wouldn't make sense otherwise

I think they're going to differntiate their content package (Plus) and a new services package, similar to XBL Gold. By 'seevices' I mean stuff like Cross Game Chat, Sharing etc.

I think that people who think that the most essential feature - online play - will be free are in for a surprise

It would make absolute sense. Gold could be what you get with PS+ now, and Platinum would be their "Netflix for gaming" thing. I'm willing to throw down money that they're keeping online gaming free. It's one of the staples of who they are.

ElRenoRaven

Like other's said I don't care if you have extra subscription tiers as long as what we have now meaning online play with access to the PSN store is free. Anything else you can throw behind a paywall. I don't care as long as I can play for free.

Takuya

Banned
This is REALLY old and also they take the statement out of context.

"We could have gold, silver or platinum levels of membership, something like that. We can do subscription services when we have more content – especially now that we have the Gaikai technology available. With one subscription you have access to thousands of games – that's our dream."

What Yoshida is saying is that they could have a tiered subscription model like that, but their dream is that one subscription offers everything instead of going with the multiple subscription model.

Hanmik

On that subject, I really expected you to announce a "Spotify for games"-type service, allowing gamers to sign up and pay a monthly fee to access as many titles as they like. Is that something we can look forward to?

this is the question he is answering.. they are talking about Gaikai and that.. not about online gaming.

Duster

It would be better if you can pick and chose the features you want in your package and get charged accordingly.

I just want the EU PS+ as it exists now, I don't want to pay extra for features I'll never use.

Xbudz

9qAhIUm.jpg

PhpXzcu.jpg
I'm ready for the future, but is the future ready for me?
Internet speeds are still slow in many areas.

khaaan

I was pretty skeptical when David Perry (Gaikai) mentioned that whole "Play what you want, buy it if you like it!". Even at the current PS+ price I saw no way they could add that to the list of features. Putting the "Netflix for games" feature at a higher tier makes a whole lot more sense.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
As long as the Silver package includes online play, I'm cool with this.

On the other hand, if they charge for online play I'll be saving a lot of money by not buying anything from them, so I'm cool with that too.

Midou

Honestly this seemed like the most logical approach. I think:

Silver: Basic online gaming, Netflix, etc

Gold: PS+ with some light Gaikai features (i.e game streaming)

Platinum: Eventual full access to Gaikai features, PS1-PS3 library access

Though maybe they will push online play into gold and keep silver for other online features, still keeping stuff like Netflix, but I hope they don't.

Mupod

Just keep online play free, don't care about all the rest.

A lot of people think like this, yeah. I personally would pay to use those sharing and friend-observing functions along with PS+ benefits, but I don't care at all about onlive/gaikai game streaming stuff. So lots of tiers makes sense.

However I don't think locking online multiplayer behind the paywall is a good idea at all. It was a big selling point for the PS3 over the xbox and even though it's a good revenue stream for microsoft, I think they could make up for it by letting everyone have F2P online games like Planetside 2 instead of just subscribers. Just make the subscription services attractive in other ways.

It's okay so long as crossgame voice chat, current video service options and online gaming stay free as a bird.
Honestly this seemed like the most logical approach. I think:

Silver: Basic online gaming, Netflix, etc

Gold: PS+ with some light Gaikai features

Platinum: Eventual full access to Gaikai features, PS1-PS3 library access

Though maybe they will push online play into gold and keep silver for other online features, still keeping stuff like Netflix, but I hope they don't.
They'd be smart to make PSN+ an even better value instead of charging even higher fees. :I

%$@#

edit: what I get for not reading article first.

That would actually be a good deal, wouldn't mind paying for a sub like that but why not just roll that in to PS+. Just keep online free and we'll be good.

Top Bottom