• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 9, 2013 (Feb 25 - Mar 03)

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Wii U did better than I expected by apparently stabilizing at 10k. I thought it would continue to fall (there wasn't any release this week right?). I meant that's probably the same level as the weekly sales in Europe and the US :p

Totally anecdotal and reaching for a "slight uptick":
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=48025910
Monster Hunter 3 3DS is going online through Wii U

Plus with all the other news of patched in adds from the western version, could have tipped some of the MH hardcore over the edge and see WiiU as a must have accessory for MH play. Could make at least a little wave to explain it dragging back up and over 10k with no real new releases of note. Never underestimate the MonHun effect!

duckroll

Senran Kagura [3DS] - 53,951 / 79,113
Senran Kagura Burst [3DS] - 70,569 / 87,271
Senran Kagura: Shinovi Versus [PSV] - 91,639

It's incredible how Marvelous was able to make the series grow (along the breast of the protagonists, lol). It's becoming one of its best selling series along with Rune Factory and Harvest Moon.

The sequel must be 3DS / Vita; I don(t see any reason why leaving Vita without a main chapter when it's becoming the house of otakus.

Considering how Burst and SV both paid off, I see no reason why MMV should go multiplatform with a single game. Just keep making original games exclusive to different platforms. Seems like people will be happy to buy them.

- Sort of disgraceful ending to the Layton franchise. The numbers aren't horrible, but it's certainly not ending on a high note. Too bad. I'm looking forward to the last game!

- The Vita did okay-ish. There's no relief in sight, but I guess people can get motivated to buy a Vita now and then. SS will be interesting to watch.

- PSO did great. There really can't be two opinions about that.

- SK shows what a well timed anime/game release will do. Kinda funny how that franchise continues to be a highlight on struggling platforms. They should make a WiiU version.

- The 3DS continues to be in its own nice and peaceful world where things are selling well.

- who cares about dragon ball jeez

Nah the next main game will be 3DS exclusive and the Vita will get a follow-up to this spin-off. Its is working well for them - multiplattform for the same game will result in less sales if people own multiple consoles and it would limit the more powerful hardware.

We'll see.
I think the sequel is already under development.

also

Banned
Those seem like pretty low numbers for Phantasy Star Online 2. There IS a downloadable F2P option, right?

edit: how does Layton compare to previous entries?

edit2: or better yet, please show me how to look myself. "give a man a fish etc." Isn't someone keeping a public database?

Use http://garaph.info/index.php

1 DS (2007-02-15) Professor Layton and the Curious Village 119,816 / 968,033
2 DS (2007-11-29) Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box 307,771 / 928,089
3 DS (2008-11-27) Professor Layton and the Unwound Future 360,778 / 862,967
4 DS (2009-11-26) Professor Layton and the Last Specter 301,290 / 659,504
5 3DS (2011-02-26) Professor Layton and the Mask of Miracle 117,589 / 354,344
6 3DS (2013-02-28) Professor Layton and the Legacy of Civilization - 130.686 / NEW

bonus: 3DS (2012-11-29) Professor Layton Vs. Ace Attorney 135,450 / 279,633

Level 5 also released Mask of Miracles Plus (an enhanced release of the original MM) on the eShop on 2013.02.06.

Delio

I'm curious as to why the Vita didn't drag up a lot of older Vita games with the price cut. Unless im remembering wrong didn't the 3DS do that?

001.gif

This pie chart looks more delicious than last week's.

Animal Crossing Watch. Week 17 [Famitsu]

Note: [How much it sold on Week 18]

New Super Mario Bros: 3,044,580 [54,595]
Pokémon Black and White: 5,036,724 [18,696]
Pokémon Black and White 2: 2,773,699 [7,645]
Pokémon Heart Gold and Soul Silver: 3,465,912 [43,953]
Animal Crossing: Wild World: 2,245,524 [88,292]
Brain Age 2: 2,022,425 [No Data]

Animal Crossing: New Leaf: 3,088,130

It's funny because we all thought Layton would give a boost to Ace Attorney but that was probably what dragged the game down.

I'm curious as to why the Vita didn't drag up a lot of older Vita games with the price cut. Unless im remembering wrong didn't the 3DS do that?

Used games market which doesn't affect Nintendo as much.

duckroll

You could just not buy them? I quite enjoy my yearly Layton, thank you.

I'll rather they devote their resources to creating something new and creative. With declining sales on the franchise they have no reason to keep milking it. I don't want to see the franchise eventually die because it starts to sell <50k and each release is more painful than the last. It'll be better for everyone if they can reinvent Layton into something lots of people can enjoy again.

watershed

Banned
20-25k is too high for any new baseline imo, probably somewhere either side of 15k is more realistic

What does the Vita's release schedule for the next couple months look like besides SS? If it continues to be bone dry then I agree 15k is probably where it will fall.

The games are far too old and the boost isn't as big as the 3DS was.

I'll rather they devote their resources to creating something new and creative. With declining sales on the franchise they have no reason to keep milking it. I don't want to see the franchise eventually die because it starts to sell <50k and each release is more painful than the last. It'll be better for everyone if they can reinvent Layton into something lots of people can enjoy again.
They don't really need to reinvent the wheel with Layton, just give it a big break.

Artemisia

Banned

6 3DS (2013-02-28) Professor Layton and the Legacy of Civilization - 130.686 / NEW

Level 5 also released Mask of Miracles Plus (an enhanced release of the original MM) on the eShop on 2013.02.06.

Could the poor performance of the series now be because many of the fans don't have 3DS systems yet? There were many people complaining on Amazon US and UK about the game not being available on the 'regular' DS and refused to buy a 3DS. I wonder if the same thing happened in Japan

May16

What's the next big PSV game after Soul Sacrifice?

Tales of Hearts-R launches on the same day and should do decent numbers (not huge, but decent). Later in March there's some ports and multipatform stuff like Atelier Meruru Plus, Dead or Alive 5 Plus, the Japanese baseball league game, and Muramasa.

What does the Vita's release schedule for the next couple months look like besides SS? If it continues to be bone dry then I agree 15k is probably where it will fall.

15 is too high for where Vita will fall. Once again Vita's software ecosystem is still abysmal and worse than the Gamecube which didn't have that kind of baseline.

Could the poor performance of the series now be because many of the fans don't have 3DS systems yet? There were many people complaining on Amazon US and UK about the game not being available on the 'regular' DS and refused to buy a 3DS.

Maybe in the west, but this is just franchise destruction in Japan.

Delio

It's funny because we all thought Layton would give a boost to Ace Attorney but that was probably what dragged the game down.

Used games market which doesn't affect Nintendo as much.

Ah yes I forgot about the used game market. Pity if that's what is holding back the games charting.

friz898

Tales of Hearts-R launches on the same day and should do decent numbers. Later in March there's some ports and multipatform stuff like Atelier Meruru Plus, Dead or Alive 5 Plus, the Japanese baseball league game, and Muramasa.

Ya last I looked, it seems like Vita is gonna hit dry spell for a little while after Tales and SS.

Hope not. Need nonstop momentum.

Yes.
When 3DS had the price-cut, Professor Layton and the Mask of Miracle, One Piece: Unlimited Cruise SP, Nintendogs + Cats (French Bulldog, Shiba, Toy Poodle & New Friends) and The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D rised. But it had only Pokémon Rumble Blast as a new release, and 3DS already had some evergreen game. Minna no golf is the only one on Vita now.

There's God Eater 2 multiplat with PSP, and... um... well, they're certainly counting on SS being the saviour, let's leave it at that.

Hero

Tales of Hearts-R launches on the same day and should do decent numbers (not huge, but decent). Later in March there's some ports and multipatform stuff like Atelier Meruru Plus, Dead or Alive 5 Plus, the Japanese baseball league game, and Muramasa.

I see. That's not looking too good then for sustaining good hardware sales.

Glass Rebel

Thanks to you as well.

Wow, Level-5 really is fucked. Time for a new series I guess.

I wonder if Senran Kagura Shinovi Versus got a boost from gamers waiting for a Vita price drop to pick one up and SK being the "new" game of the week.

Thanks to you as well.

Wow, Level-5 really is fucked. Time for a new series I guess.

Or that the audience that made Layton a hit on the DS hasn't made the move to the 3DS.

wrowa

Not really sure what to make of the Vita numbers. They're about what I expected but I'd hoped I was being a little pessimistic. So-so, I'd say.

I'm rather disappointed to be honest. 80k was what I was hoping for it to sell at least. I still remember when 3DS hardware sales pretty much exploded in the week of the price cut, while pretty much no software was sold. It's like people were so interested in it that they only bought the hardware and nothing else.

Now we're looking at Vita's price cut and... yeah. I didn't expect it to match 3DS's price cut week - that ship has sailed - but I did expect it to do better, especially considering it had some popular games coming out this week. These sales don't show me that people are actually really interested in the Vita, it's like people outside of the hardcore audience already stopped paying even a little attention to it.

I'm not confident that the price cut was actually in Sony's favor now. I can easily imagine the Vita falling back to sub-15k next month, which wouldn't really be a success.

Who knows though, maybe more people than we think are actually excited for Soul Sacrifice and will pick up Vita hardware together with the game.

Is Layton really doing that much worse than expected despite doing higher than Senran Kagura?

Being able to compare both games shows how much the once so mighty Layton has fallen. We're talking about a series than once scratched on the million and now it's lucky to hit a third of that.

OP Kaizoku Musou 2 aswel although big chunk of sales will be for its big brother I reckon.

duckroll

Could the poor performance of the series now be because many of the fans don't have 3DS systems yet? There were many people complaining on Amazon US and UK about the game not being available on the 'regular' DS and refused to buy a 3DS. I wonder if the same thing happened in Japan

The series was originally announced as a trilogy. You'll see that after the trilogy concluded and they announced a new trilogy, the sales started declining. The 4th game was on the DS, and it already lost 200k of the audience.

squall23

I see. That's not looking too good then for sustaining good hardware sales.
Well to be fair, 3DS only has 1 (maybe 2) high profile games for March with SRWUX and possibly Luigi's Mansion 2. MH4 would have destroyed this month but that obviously got delayed.

The series was originally announced as a trilogy. You'll see that after the trilogy concluded and they announced a new trilogy, the sales started declining. The 4th game was on the DS, and it already lost 200k of the audience.

Yep. A spiritual successor should have been announced, maybe sharing the world but with new characters and style.

People plainly aren't all that interested in the early adventures of Luke and Layton.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Well to be fair, 3DS only has 1 (maybe 2) high profile games for March with SRWUX and possibly Luigi's Mansion 2. MH4 would have destroyed this month but that obviously got delayed.

Get ready for Luigi's Mansion 2.

The price cut can't have been cheap for Sony. We'll see in the coming weeks, but if it really does fail to boost the weekly baseline in the prime territory for dedicated handhelds, I think pressure on SCE to cut their losses is going to increase a few notches.

duckroll

OP Kaizoku Musou 2 aswel although big chunk of sales will be for its big brother I reckon.

I think OPM2 is going to be interesting because it is a big enough title so we can use it as a sort of benchmark to see how many people are actually interested in playing a PS3 game on the Vita. If the Vita version does decently enough, there could be a market for more of such games. If it doesn't, it probably means people who buy console games in Japan tend to not think of portable versions of those games as an attractive offer.

Somnid

It's weird and kinda surreal that we're seeing what is essentially the end of Vita. I guess Soul Sacrifice could be the next Monster Hunter but if it does less than absolutely phenomenal then that's pretty much it as far as future prospects go. I can't even think of meaningful rumor at this point.

Top Bottom