• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War Judgement |OT| Brothers from the beginning, Bros till the end

ShogunX

Haven is a pretty solid map. It seems large but then everybody re spawns around that circular centre piece anyway.

I like the layout of the cover as it makes for some crazy in and out battles especially when you are outnumbered.

Two piece is noticeably weakened. I threw a couple of bankers out there and instead got blasted to bits.

Haven is a pretty solid map. It seems large but then everybody re spawns around that circular centre piece anyway.

I like the layout of the cover as it makes for some crazy in and out battles especially when you are outnumbered.

Two piece is noticeably weakened. I threw a couple of bankers out there and instead got blasted to bits.

@PeteNub 14h
Stun from melee hit made slightly shorter, same deal as smoke update, didn't force it, just wait for it.

edit: bahh! I didn't see that Skilotonn post

nateeasy

Banned
I have the Microsoft store preorder DLC codes for Alex Brand and the Hammerburst if anyone wants to swap them for something else.

doodle

I am enjoying playing on Haven more than any other map so far. I must ask, is there really a point in having a one second duration spawn protection?

Xamdou

I have the Microsoft store preorder DLC codes for Alex Brand and the Hammerburst if anyone wants to swap them for something else.

I really want the Alex Brand dlc character, I got some steam games if you are interested or we can work something out.

Aske

I really want the Alex Brand dlc character, I got some steam games if you are interested or we can work something out.

Me too. Hope she goes up for sale before too long. I have nothing to trade besides the Gears 1 download, so I doubt I'll be able to barter for a spare code before the skin hits the store.

So, what's the consensus on completing Insane w/wo declassifieds? Single player? Co-op 2 player? co-op as many players as you can muster?

Seems easiest playing solo since your 3 ai squadmates can't die. Just hang back and let them take most of the hits.

I don't spose that'll get you too far on your way to achieving 3 Onyx Stars though, would it? Plus I imagine the timed/defend missions will be a MASSIVE pain in the arse.

Meh... can't hurt to try I guess.

A friend of mine is waiting for his copy to arrive and wants to play through in co-op. I wonder if the old trick of him playing Casual while I play Insane would be of any use?

ShogunX

I don't spose that'll get you too far on your way to achieving 3 Onyx Stars though, would it? Plus I imagine the timed/defend missions will be a MASSIVE pain in the arse.

Meh... can't hurt to try I guess.

A friend of mine is waiting for his copy to arrive and wants to play through in co-op. I wonder if the old trick of him playing Casual while I play Insane would be of any use?

Doesn't work on Judgement. Well.....it works in that he can still kill the enemies easier but you can only earn casual stars. If you want Onyx then everybody has to be on insane.

Doesn't work on Judgement. Well.....it works in that he can still kill the enemies easier but you can only earn casual stars. If you want Onyx then everybody has to be on insane.

Apparently it works if the person playing on casual leaves the game at the point where you press up on the dpad to continue. By all accounts, once that happens the amount of stars earned are locked in, so if only the person on insane is left in the game then Onyx stars are awarded.

Not tried it, so don't know from experience.

JB1981

Been playing Gears 1 Annex games lately. Seems the community creates Annex rooms but doesn't actually take the circles. They just use the game type as a way to play with spawns. The game is so fun

Been playing Gears 1 Annex games lately. Seems the community creates Annex rooms but doesn't actually take the circles. They just use the game type as a way to play with spawns. The game is so fun

I suppose that is much better then people teaming up to score boost in gears 2 annex matches, I used to love party crashing those public games.

I've gone through the campaign three times now and am letting it sit for a bit while I give Bioshock a spin. One thing about Judgment though keeps sticking in my craw.

Failing a checkpoint because one player dies isn't a good fit for this kind of gameplay, especially on legendary with so many one-hit kill possibilities from random grenades, tickers, and lambent wretches exploding amidst the chaos. Giving the remaining players a chance to complete the checkpoint ala classic Horde, or some kind of timed respawn would be less frustrating, and keep that frustration aimed at the game's challenge, and not the weakest link in the group.

Vee_One

Any word of them making the 4 over-run/survival maps available in TDM (and vice versa)?
I'm loving the game but it is really suffering from only having 4 (+1) maps to play on.

Also, any Aus players add me - gamertag is veeoneuhh. Can't promise I am any good but all the old crew I used to play Gears with aren't playing ; _ ;

Kabuto

Wow people are already at the 8th re up, which is a gold star. How do people play a game that much?... I've almost at my 2nd re up and I would say I played the game a good amount. Pretty crazy

Nori Chan

Wow people are already at the 8th re up, which is a gold star. How do people play a game that much?... I've almost at my 2nd re up and I would say I played the game a good amount. Pretty crazy

Read on the epic forum that somebody is 12 prestige.

Lot of double xp I see

Just booted up Gears 3 for comparison and there are more people playing that than Judgment in my region ; _ ;
I'm not a big multiplayer guy, especially for Gears, but after giving the Judgment multiplayer modes a shot with bots, I'd go back to Gears 3 easily. Cog versus Cog is still the worst design decision I've heard in a very long time. Hell, even with bots, Gears 3 mutiplayer modes are a great time, and locust (and the original horde) are a big part of that for me.

I still love the shit out of the campaign though, and it sucks that something really new to the series is getting overshadowed by major missteps in multiplayer.

MjFrancis

I'm not a big multiplayer guy, especially for Gears, but after giving the Judgment multiplayer modes a shot with bots, I'd go back to Gears 3 easily. Cog versus Cog is still the worst design decision I've heard in a very long time. Hell, even with bots, Gears 3 mutiplayer modes are a great time, and locust (and the original horde) are a big part of that for me.

I still love the shit out of the campaign though, and it sucks that something really new to the series is getting overshadowed by major missteps in multiplayer.
The Gears 3 multiplayer is hands down the better bargain compared to Judgment. Overrun is the only competent MP addition so far as I can see - it would supplant Beast mode in Gears 3 no problem. I played one Execution match in Gears 3 and that's all I needed to remind myself how much the MP in Judgment is watered down. I like the new maps, but I also miss the old maps and the other game mechanics that went with them.

The campaign is definitely getting overshadowed in all this. A lot of the complaints boiled down to cinematic flair, or the lack thereof. I thought we were getting tired of bombastic set pieces with little input required from the player? Not all of us, I guess.

Shit, the omission of vehicle sections and rail shooting sections in Judgment is a boon. I never finished Gears 2 on Insane becase of sections like that.

Mayyhem

I bought the game.
Have not had time to play it though.

I plan on mostly just playing TDM cause Into gears competitive multi, but I'm wondering, theres only 4 maps for that mode right? When are more maps coming?

I see myself growing tired of 4 maps really fast

Xamdou

I bought the game.

I plan on mostly just playing TDM cause Into gears competitive multi, but I'm wondering, theres only 4 maps for that mode right? When are more maps coming?

They just added an extra map last Tuesday called Haven, another one is up within the month.

MjFrancis

I bought the game.

When you are tired of Judgment you can play Gears 1 and Gears 3. I believe it's still pretty easy to find a community for those games. Gears 3 has TDM which would probably be more up your alley. The TDM in Judgment has lots of changes, no DBNO, Cog v. Cog, different weapon loadout, etc.

shiptoncraig

Neo Member
A big part of Gears multiplayer was the sound that the characters made when running/rolling and IIRC back in the Gears 1 days, people would pick characters like Baird who were almost silent for that reason. Now that the maps are more vertical, sound travels through solid objects and everybody's COG, it becomes impossible to gauge whether the noises you hear are friendly or not.

The campaign is definitely getting overshadowed in all this. A lot of the complaints boiled down to cinematic flair, or the lack thereof. I thought we were getting tired of bombastic set pieces with little input required from the player? Not all of us, I guess..
The more I play it the more I see that Gears has the hands down best third person shooting/combat design out there.

Most encounters take place at pretty close quarters compared to most other shooters, so you get to appreciate the enemy animations, reactions and gibs up close, and feel the danger of getting rushed. There are a ton of weapons available with their own distinct active reload rhythms, playstyles and many with their own unique mechanics (mortar, torque bow and grenade sticks in particular). Toss in distinct executions per weapon, a wide movement and cover/handling/mantling/bouncing set, drop-in, drop-out co-op throughout and a nice collection of enemies and difficulties and you have something truly special.

And then of course Judgment adds challenges, more weapons (including auto turrets) and detailed scoring. There is enough gameplay depth here to get by purely on mechanics alone, and Judgment's design exemplifies that.

Yeah, I'm in love.

A big part of Gears multiplayer was the sound that the characters made when running/rolling and IIRC back in the Gears 1 days, people would pick characters like Baird who were almost silent for that reason. Now that the maps are more vertical, sound travels through solid objects and everybody's COG, it becomes impossible to gauge whether the noises you hear are friendly or not.

yes, hearing humans and locust speech was a good pointer of being close to the enemy or not also.

I been playing gears 3 again today and even with peer 2 peer hosting the game is quite playable, double frags are better then the guy with better ping always winning.

But then I look at twich feeds of judgement and it looks like it should have been a high priced MP expansion pack, not many players would have bought it I guess but most of the judgement hud and menu looks like a tweaked gears 3 setup, it screams expansion to me. All those novelty player skins make it feel like gears of unreal tournament, which is both a good and bad thing...

I might buy and try this game once it's in a good sale, right now playing 3 is the better option imo.

heh this guy must be american as the team DM list says about 3500 in his region, 3600 players overall.

Aske

The campaign is definitely getting overshadowed in all this. A lot of the complaints boiled down to cinematic flair, or the lack thereof. I thought we were getting tired of bombastic set pieces with little input required from the player? Not all of us, I guess.

Gears 1 struck the best balance as far as I'm concerned. As much as people rag on the story, the game does a huge amount of worldbuilding, establishes a strong personality for each member of Delta squad, and even gives the silent Raam sufficient character; all with a scant handful of cutscenes and no on-rails junk. Gears characters were always painted with broad brushstrokes, but each of the previous campaigns consistently delivered a great cast and fun dialogue.

By contrast, Judgment fails to successfully establish Karn and Kilo squad to the same degree. Baird and Cole are shadows of their snarky/bombastic selves, and Sofia's best-in-the-class cadet is paper-thin. "I studied that! Lucky I'm awesome at that. Academy!". Paduk has some character, but more by virtue of his former Indie status than due to his dialogue. It helps that he returns in Aftermath with, presumably, a different team of writers. Loomis is almost conspicuously weak. All he has to do is shout pompously, but he comes off as more of a weak stereotype than the traditional Gears archetypes.

Sure, not every Gears player cares about this stuff, but it represents the only aspect of Judgement's Campaign that isn't on a par with or better than the previous games.

MjFrancis

I care about that stuff quite a bit. The Gears of War mythology is pretty fucking cool when you get down to it. At it's best you really feel like there's a fleshed out world beyond those chest-high walls.

Gears 1 struck the best balance as far as I'm concerned. As much as people rag on the story, the game does a huge amount of worldbuilding, establishes a strong personality for each member of Delta squad, and even gives the silent Raam sufficient character; all with a scant handful of cutscenes and no on-rails junk. Gears characters were always painted with broad brushstrokes, but each of the previous campaigns consistently delivered a great cast and fun dialogue.

By contrast, Judgment fails to successfully establish Karn and Kilo squad to the same degree. Baird and Cole are shadows of their snarky/bombastic selves, and Sofia's best-in-the-class cadet is paper-thin. "I studied that! Lucky I'm awesome at that. Academy!". Paduk has some character, but more by virtue of his former Indie status than due to his dialogue. It helps that he returns in Aftermath with, presumably, a different team of writers. Loomis is almost conspicuously weak. All he has to do is shout pompously, but he comes off as more of a weak stereotype than the traditional Gears archetypes.

Sure, not every Gears player cares about this stuff, but it represents the only aspect of Judgement's Campaign that isn't on a par with or better than the previous games.

I bet there will be a Karn's shadow type DLC at some point.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Paduk was easily my favorite character in the story. Better than Baird and Cole.

Also what happens to loomis after judgment?

Aftermath sheds light on that.

He ends up having a statue of himself made, he died defending the area.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Baird and Cole are shadows of their snarky/bombastic selves....

SP is about the only thing I really care about with these games (don't have much time to play/get good at mp). I really have to agree that Judgment's campaign was mostly a failure when it came to writing good dialogue for these characters (with the exception for Paduk, except I wanted more backstory beyond the hints that we got). Going from Judgment (mostly silence) to Aftermath (banter-ama) was like slipping into a comfortable pair of shoes.

Aske

I care about that stuff quite a bit. The Gears of War mythology is pretty fucking cool when you get down to it. At it's best you really feel like there's a fleshed out world beyond those chest-high walls.

Then we're on the same page - I wonder how many people complaining about the lack of cinematic flair are talking about story and characters, and how many want to ride Brumaks in mine carts through a giant worm.

I don't think anyone misses the shitty vehicle segments of previous campaigns, but Judgment's story takes place in comparatively pedestrian territory. It's all man-made buildings aside from Onyx Point beach, so there's much less environmental variety. The campaign doesn't take players on the same journey as Gears 1, despite being an almost identical story premise with a similar length, and I could see that bugging some people. I loved seeing more of urban and suburban Tyrus, but I think lack of diversity in environment design is a legitimate complaint.

Just thought I'd throw this out there since all the other Gears threads haven't had replies in years.

I plan on playing Gears of War 1 for the first time tonite or tomorrow (Got the code from Judgment) and I was wondering if anybody wants to play campaign on co-op with me? :)

Grisby

Paduk was easily my favorite character in the story. Better than Baird and Cole.

Also what happens to loomis after judgment?
Paduk was good. I felt like it was a good time to shine light on Baird and Cole meeting each other,etc but they stumbled on that bit.

Also, a bit of a cop out that (Aftermath spoiler)
Sophia gets kidnapped.

SonicBoom

Call me nuts but I'm enjoying the multiplayer way more than Gears 2 & 3. Gears 1 had the best maps and great gameplay besides host issues lol . Gears J has solid multiplayer but not enough maps :/ but I'm enjoying them & I'm hooked.

Woooooah. I guess the two-piece nerf just came into effect on my end. It's been gimped something chronic. The delay between melee and subsequent shot has been quadrupled at least.

Kabuto

Woooooah. I guess the two-piece nerf just came into effect on my end. It's been gimped something chronic. The delay between melee and subsequent shot has been quadrupled at least.

Peter Knepley ‏@PeteNub

Melee stun timings and shotgun firing after melee timings have been adjusted again

Smoke cringe time decreased slightly, lancer damage decreased slightly

gonna hop on to see the changes right now. Love how Pete is listening to fans' opinions!

gonna hop on to see the changes right now. Love how Pete is listening to fans' opinions!

Ha. Yeah, it's good, I guess, but had they followed the generally steadfast rule of 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it', then none of this would have been necessary.

It's also a bit annoying, as having only played Gears 3 MP heavily, my initial reaction was "ugh, what is this two-piecing nonsense?" Many rage-inducing moments later, I then decided that I needed to adapt to survive, so I became a massive two-piece wang. And whaddayaknow? Now it's become redundant again and my shotgun skillz have suffered!

Grisby

Any details on when the first pack of that season pass deal hits? Guess that Maxim map isn't out till the end of the month (?) or something.

SegaManAU

Gold Member
Really hating the online. I spent so much time on Gears 3 MP and loved it despite it's flaws.

I'll hop on later tonight and check out the new updates, but melee was so annoying.

Top Bottom