• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku - Leaked details on Star Wars: First Assault, 'Predecessor' to Battlefront III

RoKKeR

Update:

Kotaku has provided three more screenshots of Star Wars: First Assault.
http://kotaku.com/5990147/more-leaked-screenshots-from-star-wars-first-assault-show-a-glorious-cloud-city
original.png

original.png

original.png

http://kotaku.com/5989910/leaked-star-wars-game-is-predecessor-to-battlefront-iii-source-says

Kotaku is at it again.

Today, Kotaku can reveal that Star Wars: First Assault is a downloadable multiplayer shooter that was originally slated for release this spring. The game supports up to 16 players—one eight-person team of rebels and one eight-person team of Stormtroopers—as they face off on Star Wars worlds like Bespin and Tatooine.

And according to one person familiar with the project, First Assault is "step zero" to the heavily-rumored, highly-anticipated Star Wars: Battlefront III. If First Assault sells well—assuming it is released at all—the third Battlefront could be next.

Last September, when executives at LucasFilm—the parent company of LucasArts—found out that Disney had signed an agreement to purchase the company, things got murky. LucasFilm froze all hiring and new game announcements, our source says. They had planned to announce First Assault and launch a closed beta by the end of September—which explains the Xbox listing leak on October 1—and First Assault was supposed to be out this spring.

So since September, employees at LucasArts have been working on the game with no knowledge as to whether or not it will actually come out. According to our source, LucasArts is "bleeding talent" as employees wait to see what executives at Disney and LucasFilm want to do with First Assault and other games the studio is working on.

The game is said to be running on Unreal Engine, and is a scaled back version on what could be Battlefront III. Kotaku provided two alleged images of First Assault:

first-assault-1-640_w_1.png

first-assault-3-640_w.png

Despite the leaked information about the downloadable title, its status is still unknown and is presumably in 'development limbo', similar to what we've heard about Star Wars 1313.

The status of First Assault—like the status of Star Wars 1313 and other projects that LucasArts is currently working on—remains unclear today. The new direction of LucasFilm is also unclear—just today, the company announced that they would no longer be releasing new episodes of the Clone Wars television show on Cartoon Network.

For now, that's all they have on the game. Thoughts?

Graphics look really nice.

Disney meddling with LucasArts releases is stupid. Star Wars 1313 looked great and this also looks like it has potential. Star Wars games usually sell well, focusing all on stuff for the Episode release is ridiculous when you have stuff like this that already a long way in development.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
And I thought Disney killing off Clone Wars was going to be the worst Star Wars related decision of the day.

Battlefront 3 is never happening. Neither is this game. Nor is Star Wars 1313.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
I would love to play this. We are badly missing a StarWars Battlefront type game with modern graphics.

I really wonder how they can achieve an epic Star Wars experience with 8 vs 8 players. BF3 with 24 players already seems lacking...

RoKKeR

Gemüsepizza;49750920 said:
I really wonder how they can achieve an epic Star Wars experience with 8 vs 8 players.

I don't think that's the point of the game. It seems that it's supposed to test the market for interest in a Star Wars shooter.

Am I the only one who thinks it's silly the fate of Battlefront III - a AAA sequel - rests on the potential success of an arcade title that may not even come out?

Regardless, those screens are pretty cool. Battlefield in space is exactly what came to mind and I'm 100% fine with that.

Zeknurn

It is a shame if the fate of Battlefront 3 is tied to what seems to be Call of Duty Star Wars.

This new Battlefront would use nothing from the Battlefront III that has already been in production at studios like Free Radical and Slant Six, our source says.

If they aren't including the seamless planet to space transitions I'll be angry.

Doesn't really seem unique.

I'm not a huge Battlefront fan, but what distinguishes it from other shooters? Looks run-of-the-mill.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Where is my TPS Battlefront damnit.

Some of the 'awesome' factor was in seeing your stormtrooper mow through dudes and realizing 'oh shit, I'm in Star Wars'.

Because battlefront was?

Battlefront had a TPS view with optional FPS capability. While it's true that not having it in the screens doesn't mean it doesn't exist, it looks much more like Battlefield, which to my knowledge, doesn't have a tps view outside of vehicles.

baphomet

Looks pretty similar to that cod:mw Star Wars mod but even better.

I'm not even a huge Star Wars guy, but damn that looks like it would be fun.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
The Star Wars universe would be a great place for a newer FPS. CoD and BF are getting a bit stale with modern day, so looping in the Star Wars fiction into a shooter would be cool.

Moonlight

Banned
This could not look more generic. Get rid of the HUD elements and it'd take me a lot longer for me to even recognize this came out of Star Wars.

Top Bottom