• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku - Leaked details on Star Wars: First Assault, 'Predecessor' to Battlefront III

majik13

Battlefront was great for its time. i wish we had 3 by now. If this is just a stripped down arcade then, I am currently not very interested.

The status of First Assault—like the status of Star Wars 1313 and other projects that LucasArts is currently working on—remains unclear today.

I hope we see both, this especially though. Looks great and would immediately drag me back into the world of competitive multiplayer.

Not a Jellyfish

but I am a sheep
Graphically it looks nice but man does it just scream CoD, still will most likely pick it up because I am interested to see how weapons from that universe will handle in an FPS.

wwm0nkey

They should seriously just say "If this does well we will make Battlefront III" in their press release and when they start releasing trailers. I seriously see that working lol

bill0527

Unfortunately, Disney doesn't have anyone that is passionate about games.

They are sitting on a gold mine with LucasArts, and they don't even know it, or possibly worse, know it but don't care about it.

When they bought the Lucas Empire, they were interested in the films and characters, and not much else. I really wish they would find someone passionate about the Star Wars IP and gaming and give them a chance to see if they can make Star Wars gaming great again.

wwm0nkey

Unfortunately, Disney doesn't have anyone that is passionate about games.

They are sitting on a gold mine with LucasArts, and they don't even know it, or possibly worse, know it but don't care about it.

When they bought the Lucas Empire, they were interested in the films and characters, and not much else. I really wish they would find someone passionate about the Star Wars IP and gaming and give them a chance to see if they can make Star Wars gaming great again.
Wrong, they wanted to licence out Starwars more to game developers, with them we might actually see Battlefront 3 and not see it canned 3 times.

Orayn

16 players might be enough if there were tons of bots and each player was in the role of a squad leader. Too bad that's not what this game is going for.

Next-gen Battlefront III, please. Make it happen, Disney!

Forget you guys I think it looks cool! I'm particularly interested in that AA gun in the first pic and the fact that they are being flown around in a gunship in the second pic.

Sheroking

Daaaamn I need this.

And what? 1313 is in development limbo? Shit. Is this all Disney's fault?

Actually, I could see Disney having a huge problem with an M-rated Star Wars game when they're planning a multi-billion dollar cycle of Star Wars films.

smr00

Banned
Quite possibly one of the most bland looking shooters i have seen. Granted i am just judging it by 2 screenshots but it just looks so vanilla.

Those screens looks pretty good, very modern FPS though.

Now excuse me while I go play Battlefront 2 PSP on my Vita and weep due to this and Battlefront 3 probably never happening...

FoneBone

If (as rumored) everything LucasArts was doing pre-Disney acquisition is now on hold, what exactly are they working on? Are they even still a going concern? Disney doesn't exactly seem eager to stay in the AAA console business.

Shaanyboi

Banned
Wait... is Clone Wars cancelled, or just moving to Disney?

Cancelled. Whatever, for what they were trying to do with that show, it was probably time to end it anyways. Six seasons for an animated series ain't nothing to gawk at though. That's a helluva run.

FoneBone

Daaaamn I need this.

And what? 1313 is in development limbo? Shit. Is this all Disney's fault?

Likely. Disney's not big on AAA development, they want to focus the Star Wars brand on the next trilogy, and they probably also want to keep it family-friendly (not exactly a good fit for an M-rated project).

FoneBone

If (as rumored) everything LucasArts was doing pre-Disney acquisition is now on hold, what exactly are they working on? Are they even still a going concern? Disney doesn't exactly seem eager to stay in the AAA console business.

OK, actually I see the article addresses this. Kinda suprised the OP didn't mention it, as it's a pretty big deal:
Last September, when executives at LucasFilm—the parent company of LucasArts—found out that Disney had signed an agreement to purchase the company, things got murky. LucasFilm froze all hiring and new game announcements, our source says. They had planned to announce First Assault and launch a closed beta by the end of September—which explains the Xbox listing leak on October 1—and First Assault was supposed to be out this spring.

So since September, employees at LucasArts have been working on the game with no knowledge as to whether or not it will actually come out. According to our source, LucasArts is "bleeding talent" as employees wait to see what executives at Disney and LucasFilm want to do with First Assault and other games the studio is working on.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
who is developing this? I feel bad about all these cancellations man...Star Wars 1313 looked awesome

LucasArts.

They went around a few years ago and picked up a lot of high end talent to make quality Star Wars games, and it was going well, but then Disney bought LucasFilm and basically is choking off the division.

LucasArts.

They went around a few years ago and picked up a lot of high end talent to make quality Star Wars games, and it was going well, but then Disney bought LucasFilm and basically is choking off the division.

terrible....any chances Star Wars 1313 will see the light of day?

Top Bottom