• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BioShock Infinite among most expensive games of all time?

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
http://www.destructoid.com/bioshock-infinite-among-most-expensive-games-of-all-time-249310.phtml

And people wonder why this industry is unstable

Developers, like Rockstar, have bragged in the past that games make more than films at the box office, so why not fund games like Hollywood does? 2K Games is doing just that by throwing nearly $200 million at BioShock Infinite, according to The New York Times which cited unnamed analysts. Not since Grand Theft Auto IV -- allegedly $100M and produced by 2K's owners Take-Two -- has so much money been thrown at a project

Around $100M was spent on Infinite's production and as much as another $100 will be spent on marketing. Remember when we were all gobsmacked that Gears of War cost $10 million? While game budgets have gone up, BioShock Infinite is pushing to the top of the list of most expensive productions. Shenmue ($94M in today's economy) says hi!

Destructoid recently reported that Ken Levine decided to axe the BioShock film when Universal declined its $200 million budget. I wondered where that ridiculously high number, usually reserved for major franchise sequels (Harry Potter, Transformers), came from. Well, it may have come from BioShock Infinite's budget. Hard to go back to a measly $80 mil, right guys!?

The exclusive review, generous pre-purchase offers, and massive marketing push around this game is all starting to make sense: 2K doesn't want to take any chances after investing so heavily in this risky venture. Even a 90+ Metacritic score and strong ad push may not be enough to make this bird fly. I sure hope so, as the resulting dialog among publishers may lead to less ambitious games in the future.

Update:
https://twitter.com/IGLevine/status/314909899295444992

67632A35-E1B6-4274-B68C-289BC8D772F3-984-0000009DB383B2A4_zps1a2915c6.jpg

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
They're trying to be really aggressive on the PC front at least. Pretty much everyone is giving out a free copy of XCOM and other goodies for PC preorders

Wii Tank

Personally I'm finding that these massive budget games tend to be worse than lower budget games. I'm hoping I don't feel that way about this game.

DarkoMaledictus

Tier Whore
I wonder how much is real cost vs rewrites/issues... aka the Water World cost ;). Sad to say that after 2 I lost all interest in this franchise. 1 was a masterpiece however!

UberTag

I think they should have picked a different release date given that level of investment. Probably May where Take-Two has flourished previously.

Darkkn

Impressive how much more bang for the buck you get today for 100mil compared to Shenmue. Tools have gotten a ton better since Dreamcast days.

WOW 200 million seems insane. I'm not sure 100 million in marketing will pay off.

I wonder how much Ubi spent on AC3 that game was plastered everywhere I looked.

I think it was pretty obvious. Shit's just too expensive now and it's accelerating the inevitable crash. I've never seen an industry that was so suicidal before.

I'm not saying that's not a valid discussion to have, but considering that nobody here has played Infinite yet, it just comes across as pointless sniping. Until we see 1. how Infinite actually turns out and 2. what its returns are like, starting a budget vs. quality pissing contest is futile.

Yasae

Banned
What they're going to recoup is what matters. They could've spent 500M - don't care. We'll see what the profit is.

I find those numbers a bit hard to believe.

Or maybe they are true and that explains why hardly anyone can make money in this business anymore.

DrSlek

Half the budget for the game on marketing? Man, I thought that shit about AAA marketing was just hyperbole!

Skyzard

Banned
Efficiency, I bet they lack it greatly. It's basically the same engine right? Why not plan the game out before you start full swing.

100 mill marketing isn't surprising, you can't let the 100 mill you spent on the game go to waste. I think they're asking too much though.

they will easily sell around 3 million so its not a bad situation at all

They'll probably manage it. I'm not surprised at this at all, tbh.

wait that's it? Suddenly this structure doesn't sound so insane after all. (to select games of course, not as a model overall)

Oh come on. He totally made up that number. They need to sell MUCH more than that to turn a profit. Basic math show that number doesn't make any sense.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I expected $100 Mil, not $200. That is a good chunk of change. I think it's going to sell really well on the PC DD market, so the NPD's won't be an exact measure of success.

Yasae

Banned
No. That's 96 million in gross revenue. To get total expenditures back you double this number and add in what profit is made on each sale - which is definitely not $60.

Gut number? More like 5 or 6 million hard sales across all platforms just to recoup. For greedy pigs that's about 10-12 million units sold to make "good" money.

EDIT: oh look, I'm right again based on nothing more than intuition - no math involved.

EDIT 2: you make more money with DD. Their cuts are about 30-35%. So gross profit there is about $39-42 per "unit " (more accurately: per sale). I'm trying to think of the other costs involved but nothing comes to mind. Feel free to chime in folks.

Top Bottom