• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BioShock Infinite among most expensive games of all time?

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
I wonder how much the first one cost to make/market. I'm guessing it's not even comparable.

Animator

Around $100M was spent on Infinite's production and as much as another $100 will be spent on marketing.

What are you guys complaining about, the article says the marketing cost is just a hundred bucks. Thats pretty conservative.

ASIS

Oh come on. He totally made up that number. They need to sell MUCH more than that to turn a profit. Basic math show that number doesn't make any sense.
I'll be honest, I didn't do any basic calculation to validate the 1.6 mil claim, not even in my head. For some reason I just thought it was an educated guess.

Yes, I do realize how dumb this sounds now.
4 million

So that budget would be really dumb and hopefully this projection is pretty far off.

Maybe they will port it to next gen consoles as well. That's the only way to make sense of this movement.

Ein Bear

I think it was pretty obvious. Shit's just too expensive now and it's accelerating the inevitable crash. I've never seen an industry that was so suicidal before.

This. It's like publishers want another industry crash. The way costs have ballooned over these past few years are absolutely mind boggling.

Hindle

Banned
The game should do 6m total sales. I still don't think that will be enough for them to break even. You'd think they would learn after MP 3.

icaB5CD8gXQIR.gif

Cor blimey!

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.

Skyzard

Banned
Maybe they will port it to next gen consoles as well. That's the only way to make sense of this movement.

It's going to look bad enough for this gen...maybe though, hopefully they can work some magic but I doubt it going on previous Bioshocks.

diamount

Banned
And developers like CD Prokekt can develop high quality games with a quarter of that budget.

Things are different in Eastern Europe development houses. Not to mention they have less people, don't have to pay them as much, use their own engine ect ect.

Bioshock isn't that big of a name

They should be happy if they break even. I just can't see this selling 5 million+ copies at full price

Busty

Banned
Yikes. That ludicrous. I never would have thought that the Bioshock was big enough to justify this kind of money being spent on development.

I have a feeling that history will not be kind to this game.

At all.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
The game should do 6m total sales. I still don't think that will be enough for them to break even. You'd think they would learn after MP 3.

It's a shame that I have to worry about the future of the Max Payne franchise after 3 sold decently, just not traditional Rockstar numbers.

I think it was pretty obvious. Shit's just too expensive now and it's accelerating the inevitable crash. I've never seen an industry that was so suicidal before.

Saying CD Projekt make games cheaper don't really matter since they are in another country .
I sure this game would be cheaper if it was made in Poland still $100 million on marketing seem like to much.
Not that i trust this source since it some unnamed analysts .

You're wrong unless 5 year development becomes a norm, and that means that Irrational inefficiency spreads like a virus.

I think everyone needs to just calm down about the games industry crashing and becoming too expensive to produce games. You don't have to spend $100M on marketing. Like frontovik said, Witcher 2 is graphically speaking one of the best looking games to date and it was made for a fraction of the budget. Things like xbla and psn are great for developers on a tighter budget. There are plenty of ways to release a game without a $10M budget much lessa $200M budget.

ASIS

Install base of PS3+X360 is above 150 million. Publishers always aim high at the end of the console cycle.

This kind of thinking is exactly what made Mcdonald's go in to the hotel business and fail miserably.
In other words, pushing higher numbers because the install base is larger can be absolutely fatal at times. There has to be different factors than just that.

diamount

Banned
"System Shock 2 was $600K"

And I bet it Infinite won't touch it quality wise.

Of course it won't.. but they could target a certain niche of people and still make their money back. They are unable to do that this time around, hence the box. AAA development is an inefficient mess a lot of the time.

as much as another $100 will be spent on marketing
This and season passes

Fuck them, no sale. Glad I didn't make an impulse buy when that gmg deal was posted earlier with the 3 games.

I'm not helping pay for 100 million dollar in ads and viral marketing, bought reviews and shilling.

Not a very sound business decision. No doubt bioshock will be good but it will definitely not sell more than 10 million units across 3 platforms. May not sell past 6 million since its single player only that people can just rent. There is a reason why many studios are dying. Boneheaded budgets like this.

AB12

$100 million only for a single player, probably an inflated number, hope the game is as good as the first one, at least.

$100 million only for a single player, probably an inflated number, hope the game is as good as the first one, at least.

yeah the number is probably inflated, its not like take 2 have ever blown that much on a game before and it was a fairly quickly made game right?

Top Bottom