• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is bread really THAT bad for you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Izayoi

Banned
Just what nutrition threads need, speaking in hyperbolic "not intended to be taken literally" statements. That certainly makes it easy for people to ascertain the validity of your statements.
God damn, dude. Chill the fuck out, yeah? We're only ever allowed to speak in literals? Why the fuck are you getting so confrontational about this? I'm trying to help people, and you're straight up attacking me for it.

http://www.sugarstacks.com/fruits.htm

In moderation, if you're active, fruit is great as a dessert. It has a lot of sugar, but it's much healthier than eating most dessert foods because it has great stuff like plenty of fiber and important vitamins. However, if you're eating a lot of it every day, it's no different than guzzling sugary juice or soda. That is a fact. I'm sorry if it offends you.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
That's their premise and they follow that as their dietary guideline which is arbitrary since humans ate whatever was available and we have evolved to eat a variety of different foods including wheat and other stuff that they claim is unnatural for us to eat. Also, different cultures develop different evolutionary advantages such as lactose tolerance due to selective pressures. The diet is great if you have celiac's.

The problem is that the modern Western diet is overrun by starchy and carb heavy foods primarily due to fast foods and sugary drinks. Cut that and eat more proteins and veggies, home cooked meals and bam! weightloss. That's what dietitians have been saying for the longest time.

There really isn't a "they" when it comes to paleo. There are a lot of different ideologies within the massive umbrella.

You say that we have evolved to eat wheat, but who is "we?" I gave up grains almost completely and I know for a fact that I'm better off. The fact of the matter is that wheat just really isn't very good for us. It's a great cheap source of energy and sustenance, but that doesn't mean it's actually "good" in any way.

What you wrote in your second paragraph is precisely what I did. And yes, it was "bam! weight loss." 80 pounds in under a year. Maybe I was just ignorant, but before I encountered the "Why We Get Fat" book and started doing a lot of research from there, I was still under the belief that "fat" was to be avoided at all costs and that "whole grain cheerios" were a healthy food.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
A single apple is not poisonous to the human body. How can that be when apples contain sugar, and you claim sugar is a poisonous substance?

As, I believe, Robert Lustig put it, "sugar is poison but naturally occurring fruits come with the antidote." That's not an exact quote, but his argument is that sugar is toxic, but it's not going to really harm you when consumed in the form of a whole apple, for example. It's when you turn that into apple juice that the real problems begin.

God damn, dude. Chill the fuck out, yeah? We're only ever allowed to speak in literals? Why the fuck are you getting so confrontational about this? I'm trying to help people, and you're straight up attacking me for it.

In moderation, if you're active, fruit is great as a dessert. It has a lot of sugar, but it's much healthier than eating most dessert foods because it has great stuff like plenty of fiber and important vitamins. However, if you're eating a lot of it every day, it's no different than guzzling sugary juice or soda. That is a fact. I'm sorry if it offends you.

When we are talking about nutrition? Yes I expect people to speak in literals especially when there is so much contradictory information out there.

You're not helping anyone by mucking things up with hyperbolic false claims, and goal post shifting when called out.

How about you just stick with sensible claims instead of starting with "SUGAR IS POISON!!!!"

Oh and how cute. I never claimed that eating fruit all day was healthy either. Just that fruit (which contains sugar!) is not poison. Sugar is not poison based on most sane definitions of the word.

But of course you then said your claim of it being poison wasn't literal so whatever. I don't know why you're bothering to misrepresent my position.

As, I believe, Robert Lustig put it, "sugar is poison but naturally occurring fruits come with the antidote." That's not an exact quote, but his argument is that sugar is toxic, but it's not going to really harm you when consumed in the form of a whole apple, for example. It's when you turn that into apple juice that the real problems begin.

Likely because a glass of apple juice is like 3-4 apples and not filling at all. If I ate 3-4 apples that would constitute an entire meal... and nobody would eat that many apples in a single meal. It violates the "in moderation" aspect.

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
If you eat a high fat diet you'll feel full for longer though, so where's the problem? It's a perfectly fine diet if you have a 9-5 job. If you eat lots of crabs you'll have to snack more and you could have a sugar crash. That hasn't happened to me on more than one occasion while I work. Once I ate a 12" subway sandwich at noon. By 2pm I was falling asleep at my desk. And By 3h30pm I was super hungry. Then I discovered my sandwich had like 100g+ of carbs in eat. Yikes..

But if you work out or you are an active person you'll have to increase your carbs a bit for sure

I always feel like shit after eating high fat foods. How fun it is to swallow down 18 large eggs or a pack of bacon to hit my calorie count...

Im always full on carbs and it lasts me until noon, 300g, I dont crash or get sleepy even with 6 hours of sleep. I've been carbing up for years this way up to 1000g a day.

Having a desk job might be the culprit. :p

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
shit... what am i suppose to eat out then at your typical 'american grill' or any restaurant for the most part if I'm not much of a salad fan?

Don't eat at your typical 'american grill' if you can avoid it. All you're doing is paying a premium for frozen foods from the local Costco at places like that anyway.

When we are talking about nutrition? Yes I expect people to speak in literals especially when there is so much contradictory information out there.

You're not helping anyone by mucking things up with hyperbolic false claims, and goal post shifting when called out.

How about you just stick with sensible claims instead of starting with "SUGAR IS POISON!!!!"

Likely because a glass of apple juice is like 3-4 apples and not filling at all. If I ate 3-4 apples that would constitute an entire meal... and nobody would eat that many apples in a single meal. It violates the "in moderation" aspect.

Do you think most people out there are going to think a glass of apple juice is outside of the bounds of "in moderation?" Most people think it's a healthy beverage. I can't count how many times I've heard of people talk about how they gave up soda and now only drink fruit juice as if it's something to be proud of.

Izayoi

Banned
What you wrote in your second paragraph is precisely what I did. And yes, it was "bam! weight loss." 80 pounds in under a year.
Yup. I cut out carbs (and all other sugar) and lost over a hundred pounds in a year, and that was without exercising.

Sugar is really bad for you, seriously. I am honestly trying to help.

I don't buy that quote. Exactly what about an apple is an antidote to sugar? One way or another, apples contain sugar.

But I'd agree that stuff like juice is far more sugar rich, and it doesn't fill you up like solid food can.

Do you think most people out there are going to think a glass of apple juice is outside of the bounds of "in moderation?" Most people think it's a healthy beverage. I can't count how many times I've heard of people talk about how they gave up soda and now only drink fruit juice as if it's something to be proud of.

I think many people believe (wrongly) that fruit juice is healthy.

I am not one of them, though Izayoi thought I was because I found his "sugar is poison" claim ridiculous, and think that mixing nutrition advice with hyperbole is stupid.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I don't buy that quote. Exactly what about an apple is an antidote to sugar? One way or another, apples contain sugar.

But I'd agree that stuff like juice is far more sugar rich, and it doesn't fill you up like solid food can.

The fiber.

I think many people believe (wrongly) that fruit juice is healthy.

I am not one of them, though Izayoi thought I was because I found his "sugar is poison" claim ridiculous, and think that mixing nutrition advice with hyperbole is stupid.

I think it's toxic as it has nothing but adverse effects on our bodies (outside of pleasure). But you know what? Alcohol is toxic, too. That's not going to stop me from drinking with friends every once in a while.

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
See a dietitian for a professional opinion. Should be covered by your insurance.
Dietitian is the legally protected term. Anybody can call themselves a nutritionist.

I work in medical foodservice and my job has me in constant contact with several R.D.'s. Nutrition is no joke, to be sure. Having access to them has really helped me with my weight loss. My department head has some kind of silly-ass advanced degree and just to hear these people sit around and discuss nutrition is awe-inspiring.

I'll totally second your recommendation of visiting a registered dietitian. Make sure you find one that keeps up-to-date and you will have a solid basis for healthy eating.

The fiber.

You don't think it has anything to do at all with the fact that liquid calories generally don't make us feel full while solids do? People can guzzle down 2 glasses of apple juice with dinner, but very few would sit down and be able to eat 6-8 apples in a single sitting.

I think it's toxic as it has nothing but adverse effects on our bodies (outside of pleasure). But you know what? Alcohol is toxic, too. That's not going to stop me from drinking with friends every once in a while.

And yet if I hear "sugar is poisonous" I would think to avoid fruit. When fruit does not have to be avoided. Fruit can be nutritious as long as you are eating actual fruit and aren't using it as your only source of nutrients.

Pedrito

http://www.sugarstacks.com/fruits.htm

Come on. People don't get obese by eating apples and grapes. You're not helping by telling them to avoid fruits. It's extremely low on the list of what's causing health problems. Is there sugar in fruits? Of course. Doesn't mean they should be avoided. Not to mention you have to eat a shit ton of them to have the same negative effect as drinking sugary juice or soda.

Bread is basically sugar, all refined carbs, and shoots your blood sugar level faster than sucrose. For the calories you get it's also pretty low in nutrients. So if you are worried about your weight you shouldn't eat too much of it.

White bread and multi grain is all the same shit.
Which is 100% Whole Wheat in that chart? 100% whole wheat with no high fructose corn syrup is what i buy

The fiber.

Fiber helps with your crap. It doesn't interfere with sugar absorption at all; you can't eat a cake and then reduce the number of calories you absorb by taking a fiber tablet.

You don't think it has anything to do at all with the fact that liquid calories generally don't make us feel full while solids do? People can guzzle down 2 glasses of apple juice with dinner, but very few would sit down and be able to eat 6-8 apples in a single sitting.

This makes alot more sense to me. If Lustig is arguing that sugar is poison, then apples would just be a less concentrated poison.

Horseticuffs

And yet if I hear "sugar is poisonous" I would think to avoid fruit. When fruit does not have to be avoided. Fruit can be nutritious as long as you are eating actual fruit and aren't using it as your only source of nutrients.

Certainly satiety has a lot to do with it. As a general rule, I never drink my calories. It simply isn't worth it.

The way I understand the fruit issue is that whole fruits often contain quite a bit of fiber, which slows your body's absorption of the fructose. Juices largely eliminate the fiber aspect and you get all that sugar almost immediately.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

Oh, I think the fact that you can't consume the sugar nearly as fast when it's in the form of an apple is also a big part of it.

I'd say to just generally avoid fruits that are very high in sugar or extremely starchy. That's just me, though.

Fiber helps with your crap. It doesn't interfere with sugar absorption at all; you can't eat a cake and then reduce the number of calories you absorb by taking a fiber tablet.

This makes alot more sense to me. If Lustig is arguing that sugar is poison, then apples would just be a less concentrated poison.

Actually, it's believed that soluble fiber, such as that found in an apple, can help prevent sugar from being absorbed.

I agree that your plan with the cake and supplement won't help much, though.

Izayoi

Banned
Oh and how cute. I never claimed that eating fruit all day was healthy either. Just that fruit (which contains sugar!) is not poison. Sugar is not poison based on most sane definitions of the word.
I never said fruit was poison. I said sugar specifically. Fruit has good things in it that sort of counter how bad sugar is for you (sort of, we both know that you can't "cancel out" unhealthy things with healthy ones), but it's definitely a better decision to eat fruit as opposed to almost anything else sugary if you're hell-bent on eating something sweet.

I don't. If it means people make healthier choices because of it, I don't think it's stupid at all. Sugar is fucking terrible for you in every way, there is nothing incorrect about that statement. If equating it to poison gets people to stop consuming it in such large volumes, then it is definitely worth a little hyperbole in my opinion.

Come on. People don't get obese by eating apples and grapes. You're not helping by telling them to avoid fruits. It's extremely low on the list of what's causing health problems. Is there sugar in fruits? Of course. Doesn't mean they should be avoided. Not to mention you have to eat a shit ton of them to have the same negative effect as drinking sugary juice or soda.
People don't get obese just by eating one thing specifically, at least most of the time. It's a combination of bad choices that build up over time (and in some cases genetics). Fruit should not be a large part of your diet unless you're very active. Like all things, it's just fine in moderation, but most people who have problem with their weight are not accustomed to moderation.

Cubsfan23

Banned
food studies are unreliable, too much bias both ways. If you feel like shit after eating it, don't eat it anymore. That's the litmus test.

flak57

No. You can't take two steps online without finding endless numbers of studies that show a wide variety and large quantity of fruits promote long life (same with veggies).

Pick a fruit. Google it. Give it a shot.

Sugar is fucking terrible for you in every way, there is nothing incorrect about that statement.
Well, not every way, clearly, given that glycolysis can produce a lot of the energy required by organisms like us. I wouldn't call water "poison" because you can die from drinking too much of it.

The body needs both short-term and long-term stores of energy.

Big-E

Be active and eat whatever the fuck you want. Don't want to do any lifting or exercise? Then eat nothing but steamed vegetables and boiled meat if you are worried about what you are eating.

I never said fruit was poison. I said sugar specifically.

Sugar is poison
Fruit contains sugar
It follows that fruit contains poison and thus is poisonous.

Also you act like fruit is a bad choice, just less terrible than a cookie or brownie. But there are studies that show positive benefits from fruit consumption. How do you explain that?

SummitAve

Banned
Yup. I cut out carbs (and all other sugar) and lost over a hundred pounds in a year, and that was without exercising.

Sugar is really bad for you, seriously. I am honestly trying to help.

Why were you not exercising? That can't be healthy for a sugar soldier such as yourself.

Izayoi

Banned
No. You can't take two steps online without finding endless numbers of studies that show a wide variety and large quantity of fruits promote long life (same with veggies).

Do these studies compare active and inactive people? You can eat as much sugary shit as you want if you're an active person. My bet is that most people aren't active enough to be able to eat fruit all day and not have adverse effects from it. There are antioxidants and things that are in fruit and good for you, but that doesn't change the fact that they also contain sugar, which is intrinsically bad for you. There are ways to get the things that are in fruit without consuming the sugar that comes with it.

So no fruit, juice, bread, pasta, rice, condiments, sugar. Sounds like a fun diet.

Apparently it extends your life but man, can a diet like that truly be considered living?

We all die eventually.

I'm not saying you aught to go tie off and shoot yourself up with heroin right now but life is too short to worry about how poisonous an apple is.

flak57

Do these studies compare active and inactive people? You can eat as much sugary shit as you want if you're an active person. My bet is that most people aren't active enough to be able to eat fruit all day and not have adverse effects from it. There are antioxidants and things that are in fruit and good for you, but that doesn't change the fact that they also contain sugar, which is intrinsically bad for you. There are ways to get the things that are in fruit without consuming the sugar that comes with it.

Grapefruit is loaded with sugar, and yet it promotes insulin resistance and weight loss for example.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16579728

I'd be skeptical of most studies that equate diet with human longevity, considering how many sources of error exists in studies of such nature. Besides, no one is advocating avoidance of fruits - it's just a Steve Jobs total fruit diet is going to get almost all the calories from sugar, which everybody here can probably agree isn't healthy.

Actually, it's believed that soluble fiber, such as that found in an apple, can help prevent sugar from being absorbed.

I agree that your plan with the cake and supplement won't help much, though.

Humans are really good at absorbing sugar, so I am a little skeptical. Wikipedia has it slowing down fiber absorption, but I know even laxatives are terrible reducing sugar absorption (bulimia is bad!).

Izayoi

Banned
Why were you not exercising? That can't be healthy for a sugar soldier such as yourself.
I was very, very busy at the time. I was working 80+ hours a week and attending college. Literally no time for exercise.

That's changed now, I exercise and maintain a healthy diet and have dropped another 30 pounds since. I'm in the best shape of my life and I feel great and full of energy every day, no sugar needed!

Horseticuffs

So no fruit, juice, bread, pasta, rice, condiments, sugar. Sounds like a fun diet.

For me, personally, one of the keys of weight loss has been to realize that eating is basically just fueling up and that it can't really be "fun" if I want to keep the weight loss.

I eat pretty much the exact same things, at the same times, every single day. I'll admit it isn't the funnest way to eat, but the problem with me was that for my whole life I was just having a great time eating with wild abandon. I didn't have an awesome time when I was almost 400 pounds, though.

I'm not saying it's for everyone, but taking the "fun" out of eating and being content with efficiently and consistently refueling my body in a healthy way has had a tremendous impact on my life, anecdotally.

cryptic

"There's almost an anti sugar cult that developed from the 90s' onward, a point at which most research showed it to be not only benign, but perhaps beneficial."

http://raypeat.com/articles/articles/sugar-issues.shtml
http://raypeat.com/articles/articles/glycemia.shtml
http://www.andrewkimblog.com/2013/02/quick-commentary-on-dr-lustigs-take-on.html

I have about quart of orange juice a day, 2 quarts of milk, as much haagen dasz as I feel like, all the fruits I want, and lots of steak, eggs, etc.

I've never felt better, and I was on the paleo diet for years. I've still kept off bread because I just don't see a reason, three+ years now.

My findings are that all the sugar I enjoyed without issue as a kid is not a problem and never was.

On a good day I'll eat about 3,000+ calories without issue, the only problem I'm having now is I'm losing weight and I'm worried about my lifts.

GhaleonEB

I cut out gluten three weeks ago, and discovered that the early onset arthritis I've been suffering from for 20 years has been autoimmune arthritis, caused by gluten intolerance.

I miss my bread dearly. But I don't miss the pain.

Liberty4all

Banned
Cutting out cola and cutting out carbs worked for me and my wife.

We were a big rice and bread family... Her culture dictated rice every day, and I loved my breads and pasta. For our diet for 6 months we ate only shakeology, meat, breast, fish and veggies and we both lost weight. I switched from sugar in my coffee to honey.

How bad is sugar anyways? I recently switched back to sugar in coffee... 2 spoons a day. Will that pack on the pounds? I also like wine... 2 - 3 bottles a week (red wine).

flak57

I'd be skeptical of most studies that equate diet with human longevity, considering how many sources of error exists in studies of such nature. Besides, no one is advocating avoidance of fruits - it's just a Steve Jobs total fruit diet is going to get almost all the calories from sugar, which everybody here can probably agree isn't healthy.

To be fair, most of the studies I find show specific health benefits, not focused on general longevity. I guess that was just a logical conclusion I came to when the risk percentages of various diseases are reduced.

Edit: Someone tried to equate fruit to a dessert food, I was refuting that.

cryptic

Cutting out cola and cutting out carbs worked for me and my wife.

We were a big rice and bread family... Her culture dictated rice every day, and I loved my breads and pasta. For 6 months we ate only shakeology, meat and veggies and we both lost weight. I switched from sugar in my coffee to honey.

How bad is sugar anyways? I recently switched back to sugar in coffee... 2 spoons a day. Will that pack on the pounds? I also like wine... 2 - 3 bottles a week (red wine).

Look at how fat these guys are:http://www.30bananasaday.com/.

Many of them eat more than 30 bananas a day and none of them are fat, more proof that you can lose wait on whatever you eat, you don't have to be keyed into some metabolic advantage bullshit low carb.
Most could do with a heavy influx of protein, though.

Pedrito

Apparently it extends your life but man, can a diet like that truly be considered living?

We all die eventually.

I'm not saying you aught to go tie off and shoot yourself up with heroin right now but life is too short to worry about how poisonous an apple is.

Yep.

It must especially suck when you avoid a large variety of delicious foods for years and then get diagnosed with a brain tumor at 41.

Reading threads about nutrition, you wouldn't think there's such large gulf between guzzling sodas and pigging out on fast food, and drinking a small glass of OJ with breakfast and eating a turkey sandwich for lunch.

Izayoi

Banned
I have about quart of orange juice a day, 2 quarts of milk, as much haagen dasz as I feel like, all the fruits I want, and lots of steak, eggs, etc.
Congrats, you're blessed with an excellent metabolism and you have the discipline to maintain an exercise regimen. It does not change change the fact that sugar is not good for you.

Two spoons a day is not going to do anything if the rest of your diet is healthy. That's less than most people consume in even a single beverage, usually. Wine ain't going to hurt you, its sugar content is relatively low. Unless you were drinking a bottle a day or something I wouldn't be too concerned about it.

Resilient

I enjoy sugar daily and I'm still a badass. I must know. Can GAF agree on a single food that is awesome for you? I don't want to eat that food.

cryptic

Congrats, you're blessed with an excellent metabolism and you have the discipline to maintain an exercise regimen. It does not change change the fact that sugar is not good for you.
I used to have a metabolism where adding a few potatoes in saw me gaining weight to the level of a few pounds a week or not "running" seven miles after a meal would slowly do the same.
Today, my "exercise regimen" is taking walks often as I enjoy doing so and going to the gym three times a week for probably less than 25 minutes of actual exercise each session.

I'm not arguing with you, you will believe what you want to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom