• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guerilla Games: PS4 has no performance bottlenecks

The PlayStation 4 has been so carefully designed that developers won't find a performance bottleneck, Michiel Van Der Leeuw, technical director at Guerrilla Games, has told Edge.

"The fact that the best pieces of hardware are also devised from, or optimized versions of, the stuff we find in PCs doesn't make it any less a console," Van Der Leeuw explained. "A PC is a number of parts that also [have] bridges in-between, where there are inefficiencies that may [come in if they're not] exactly the right match."

But with the PS4, Sony has - allegedly - been able to ensure these inefficiencies don't exist.

Van Der Leeuw continued: "We've got the right amount of memory, video card; everything's balanced out. It was a very conscious effort to make sure that – with the speed of the memory, the amount of compute units, the speed of the hard drive – there would not be any bottlenecks.

"I think it was for more than a year that we knew the main ingredients and there was just discussion after discussion trying to find a bottleneck. Take a look at this design; try to find the bottleneck."

Videogamer (couldn't find EDGE link)

DaBoss

Obviously it's going to take time to really reach a significant bottleneck.

It also doesn't have the hardware to match the top gaming PCs of today.

JohngPR

I call bullshit on that one.

Maybe it seems like it now coming from the PS3, but every system can always push a little more...and technology will always get better and need a better machine to run that tech.

Lathentar

Looking for Pants
Optical drives won't affect performance, just load times. Also do we know what speed it's going to be this time around? Certainly not x2 again.

Also, console comes with a huge HDD.

Optical drives will most certainly affect the experience unless the entire game is installed to the HDD. It'll take many minutes to fill up that much RAM from an optical drive.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!

Maybe it seems like it now coming from the PS3, but every system can always push a little more...and technology will always get better and need a better machine to run that tech.

Well all they're talking about is balance. Not that it literally can do anything, but rather that no one component is throttling another one. They can all smoothly access close to their individual maximum performance, without thinking "shit I could do more with this GPU if not for this fucking RAM." Shit like that.

Optical drives will most certainly affect performance unless the entire game is installed to the HDD. It'll take many minutes to fill up that much RAM from an optical drive.

Something that is either done during load breaks, or streamed. You won't get a worst performance out of it.

And I'm pretty sure a x6 BR (27MB/s) drive will let you stream it perfectly.

x-Lundz-x

always going to have a bottleneck... optical drive

This is why (hopefully) all games will be able to be fully installed to the hard drive.

So does that max out the console quicker since devs know exactly what they are working with?

If you mean by harnessing the power of the CPU/GPU/RAM devs will be making constant improvements over times as game engines advance just like with any console. You don't really "max out" a console for about 5 years or so. I mean just look at Halo 4 for example. The game looks stunning for something released on 7 years old hardware.

Lathentar

Looking for Pants
Something that is either done during load breaks, or streamed. You won't get a worst performance out of it.

And I'm pretty sure a x6 BR (27MB/s) drive will let you stream it perfectly.

Changed the word performance to experience in my original post. You're right, it won't affect per frame performance, but it could affect the experience. It'll be interesting if the texture pop-in present in UE3 games from this generation will be just as bad, if not worse this coming generation.

Well all they're talking about is balance. Not that it literally can do anything, but rather that no one component is throttling another one. They can all smoothly access close to their individual maximum performance, without thinking "shit I could do more with this GPU if not for this fucking RAM." Shit like that.

/thread

I think he means that just because it's X86, doesn't mean it has all the same bottlenecks as a PC does.

outsida

The hyperbole with the PS4 is starting to get a tad bit out of hand. Temper that shit before you end up overselling the product and under delivering.

Hyperbole from a first party developer?

Shock and also gasp.

theres no hyperbole in his statement, he is just saying ps4 is a well designed system. for example in my pc, the cpu is a bottleneck, it doesn't allow the 7970 to harness it's full potential, in fact it holds it back.

Ocaso

ITT, people misunderstanding the concept of a bottleneck.

Exactly. It may still be a PR lie, but the issue is not whether it's powerful, but whether it's extremely efficient. It's a good statement to hear and bodes well for the console, but it would be nice to hear it from other devs as well.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
IExactly. It may still be a PR lie, but the issue is not whether it's powerful, but whether it's extremely efficient. It's a good statement to hear and bodes well for the console, but it would be nice to hear it from other devs as well.

If that statement came from John Carmack then it would hold more weight. :p

Mechazawa

Ah , with the advent of a new gen comes the flood of stupid quotes.

I wonder how long until a developer tells us what percentage of power their game is using of a particular platform.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Metalmurphy said:
Optical drives won't affect performance, just load times.
Not even that if games require installs to run.
There was at least one rumor like that to date for nex-gen consoles...

People are missing the point. What he means is that it was designed to be as efficient as possible with the tech that is there. You look at it and nothing stands out in a negative way that could hinder the potential of the other parts, the system is optimized to have all components work in harmony in a way that maximizes them as much as possible.

"lulz it could have a gtx680 instead of the current gpu"
That's not the point.

Of course it ha bottlenecks but I'm sure after years of the difficult PS3 I'm sure it seems like a breath of fresh air. Plus it's their marketing to say "way better designed for ease of use devs!"

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
A bottleneck is a phenomenon where the performance or capacity of an entire system is limited by a single or limited number of components or resources. The term bottleneck is taken from the 'assets are water' metaphor. As water is poured out of a bottle, the rate of outflow is limited by the width of the conduit of exit—that is, bottleneck. By increasing the width of the bottleneck one can increase the rate at which the water flows out of the neck at different frequencies. Such limiting components of a system are sometimes referred to as bottleneck points.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bottleneck

As some have said, he is not talking about raw performance.

Derrick01

Banned
i dont think thats what he meant. Of course they could always use more power.

I was making a joke about the next consoles holding PC gaming back even more than this gen, since the ps4 specs have already been passed (sometimes by several iterations) and the rumored MS specs are the same or lower in places.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
theres no hyperbole in his statement, he is just say ps4 is a well designed system. for example in my pc the cpu is a bottleneck, it doesnt allow the 7970 to harness it's full potential, in fact it holds it back.

Yep, some just aren't as informed as others it seems.

Binabik15

With that much RAM the system (Durango too) can probably start filling it up from the game in the drive the second it turns on and still have plenty for OS or even keep the data from the last game played even when playing BR, yes?

That way load times would be at least better, maybe even good, depending on when you start to boot the game.

Top Bottom