• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Transformers: The Movie thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
soundwave05 said:
If they can make a "Dukes of Hazzard" movie, a "Bewitched" movie, two "Brady Bunch" movies, and something called "Dude, Where's My Car?" ... why not "Transformers"?

And while yes the TV show if you watch it now is obviously for kids (who else would it be for?) ... the Transformers animated movie is still pretty cool.
Seriously. I think a movie about giant fucking robot cars is about the only thing that HASN'T been done in America. What's the problem here? I never owned any Transformer toys as a kid, I've never seen the old cartoon, but just the idea of this movie is awesome. I can't freakin' wait.

tedtropy

$50/hour, but no kissing on the lips and colors must be pre-separated
Take the best parts from Season 3 of Beast Wars, tweak it into a 2 hour long movie, (obviously) bump up the CG, and you'll likely have something considerably better than whatever this movie will turn out to be.

tedtropy

$50/hour, but no kissing on the lips and colors must be pre-separated
xsarien said:
Beast Wars is a fucking quantum leap over G1. I kinda wish the movie focused on that series instead.

Amen. Nostalgia is neat and all, but have any of you actually gone back and watched the G1 stuff or The Movie lately? It hasn't exactly aged like wine. The later episodes of Beast Wars had some amazingly solid stories and characters. I nearly wept like a little bitch when they killed off Dinobot. :D

Mike M

Nick N
Outcast2004 said:
We'll see....
It sure as hell won't be realistically colored. You can't.
At the VERY least it WILL have a bright orange tip. That much is LAW.
Define realistically colored. He'll almost certainly be silver plastic (if not painted silver), and he's not a realistic gun to start with, which means they don't have to put a little orange cap on them (i.e. Jango Fett's toy blasters)

tedtropy said:
Amen. Nostalgia is neat and all, but have any of you actually gone back and watched the G1 stuff or The Movie lately? It hasn't exactly aged like wine. The later episodes of Beast Wars had some amazingly solid stories and characters. I nearly wept like a little bitch when they killed off Dinobot. :D

I hated the character designs in Beast Wars, and the fact it was done in CG. Despite this, I still loved the show and watched it daily. That speaks a lot about how good the show's story was. I'd agree that it was better than the original cartoon's story, but the original cartoon still kicks ass.

Sallokin

Hey, I work out here at Holloman AFB, in New Mexico. The Transformers movie started filming here last week. Some slight spoilers
Bumblebee is going to start out as a 1970's Camaro, get really f-ed up, then be rebuilt as a 2008 Camero. Starscream is going to be an F-22 Raptor, and the according to some of the gaffers, Optimus Prime is going to be a fire truck. I've also seen a call shee that had something regarding Vortex on them. They're basing part of the story on the war in the middle east with terrorists etc. They've done some filming with actual Autobot frames that stand roughly 15 feet high. They've done a shot where they buried an autobot (I don't know which one) in sand and had the fans blow the sand off of it as its eyes flickered to life. They're filming out in restricted areas, so cameras, cell phones, etc are prohibited. This info isn't 100% as it's come from different people associated with the production (extras, assistants, gaffers, caterers) but you can expect most of this in the film

Sallokin

Ichirou_Oogami said:
Fuck Optimus Prime being a fire truck. How lame.

Apparently this is Bay's decision, but it could change as they haven't done any filming with Prime yet. The production is moving to Albuquerque in about a week, then out to the Hoover Dam, then to Salt Lake, and back to L.A. I actually just got in from driving around the crew at a party they were having here on base. Apparently the region they were filming in out in the desert here is supposed to be
Quatar

Thai

Bane was better.
i get the feeling that we're going to see more humans than we are transformers. it's going to be like Sony's Godzilla..the big guy only showed up for a total of what..20 minutes?

Mike M said:
Define realistically colored. He'll almost certainly be silver plastic (if not painted silver), and he's not a realistic gun to start with, which means they don't have to put a little orange cap on them (i.e. Jango Fett's toy blasters)

Ahem....

megatron.jpg

megatron_blaster.jpg

Like I said... he won't be realistically colored. They've turned MEgatron into a green and purple NERF GUN.

Oh... and ANY toy gun has to have an organge tip on it. ANY.

jett

D-Member
Sallokin said:
Hey, I work out here at Holloman AFB, in New Mexico. The Transformers movie started filming here last week. Some slight spoilers
Bumblebee is going to start out as a 1970's Camaro, get really f-ed up, then be rebuilt as a 2008 Camero. Starscream is going to be an F-22 Raptor, and the according to some of the gaffers, Optimus Prime is going to be a fire truck. I've also seen a call shee that had something regarding Vortex on them. They're basing part of the story on the war in the middle east with terrorists etc. They've done some filming with actual Autobot frames that stand roughly 15 feet high. They've done a shot where they buried an autobot (I don't know which one) in sand and had the fans blow the sand off of it as its eyes flickered to life. They're filming out in restricted areas, so cameras, cell phones, etc are prohibited. This info isn't 100% as it's come from different people associated with the production (extras, assistants, gaffers, caterers) but you can expect most of this in the film

OH NOES. Worst movie EVER(if true).

Ponn

Banned
Sallokin said:

Interesting, this pretty much confirms the leaked script review from Latinoreview then. Everything you just said is spot on with what was going on there if this is true.
if so expect Soundwave to still be a boombox BUT when he transformers only 4 1/2 feet tall. Which is such irony. The guy reviewing the script was a transformers fan and he LOVED it. Sounded very action packed and was a far cry from the human driven story I had heard before. In that one you didn't even see a transformer in robot form till halfway through the movie. This one you see the above AFB scene in the middleeast with Vortex (a chopper) raiding them within the first Act. The only thing I wouldn't trust is the Prime as a firetruck. He has been one in the past and it was actually a pretty god damn cool toy and not a bad series but I think the truck they were showing off (in the pic above) was to actually be used in the movie.

Good stuff in this thread. I don't know why I love The Transformers so much I just friggin' do. I have all the box sets of the original 80s series, and they seem to have aged pretty well for me. I still enjoy the episodes. That being siad....we know Hollywood just doesn't get it, and I don't expect much from this movie. I don't know why anyone would even bother getting excited seeing the way Hollywood has trashed various childhood icons in the past.

But I'm just being more cynical and jaded than usual........

:lol

Sallokin

Like I said, I'm not 100% sure about the fire truck thing, as scenes with prime haven't been done here at Holloman, or at all as I've been told. But some of the Military fire trucks look very different from the civilian types we tend to think about when we hear the word fire truck. I believe the reasoning behind the fire truck thing has to do with them not really knowing what to do with Prime's trailer had he been a semi. Again most of this info is second hand anyway, so take it with a grain of salt.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
These More Than Meets The Eye redesigns are pretty good. Starscream looks awesome (although certainly a distant second to the Masterpiece version).

star_bot.jpg

star_veh.jpg

Why do Astrotrain if he's not going to turn into a train, though?

MattKeil said:
Why do Astrotrain if he's not going to turn into a train, though?

HE DOES for the third fucking time!
Jesus H. Christ...look at the pics. He turns into a bullet train instead f a steam locomotive.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Outcast2004 said:
HE DOES for the third fucking time!
Jesus H. Christ...look at the pics. He turns into a bullet train instead f a steam locomotive.

There is no pic of his train mode. Although I can see the parts that would be involved now that I look closer. They should probably have a shot of that, really.

Ponn

Banned
acidviper said:
Does anyone know if they are using the G1 voice actors?

Don Murphy was trying like hell to get Welker and Cullen but I don't know what came of it. Everyone else is pretty much a no. Original Starscream/Cobra Commander would be so nice though.

Sallokin

These props were parked outside of my office today, the tank is going to get blown up tonight, and that Mustang police car is apparently one of the cars that helps destroy 1975 Camero Bumblebee. It's getting blown up tonight as well from what I hear. The big rumor is that the 2008 Camero, and two 2009 GTO's are going to be delivered to the Auto Shop near my office sometime this week. I'll try to sneak a photo or two if the manager will let me near the building.

*EDIT* Picture removed at the request of the original picture taker

acidviper

Banned
acidviper said:
Does anyone know if they are using the G1 voice actors?
Its not like they are busy or anything I mean how many Eeyore jobs and GIJoeCons are there. I'd rather they skimp on the CG and get the orig voices.

shuri

Banned
They're basing part of the story on the war in the middle east with terrorists
how come nobody is reacting to how lame this is.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
shuri said:
They're basing part of the story on the war in the middle east with terrorists
how come nobody is reacting to how lame this is.

I doubt anyone has cared deeply about this movie for quite a while.

Ponn

Banned
Kreuzader said:

Tank you!

Bet that tanks Megatron. The script review I mentioned also said a police car was a Decepticon so damn, it is the real script. That's the only real problem I had with the script review was the police car being a decepticon. The police car is always fucking Prowl man. And from what I read
Prowl's not even in the movie. It's just Ratchet, Ironhide, Prime, Jazz and Bumblebee

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom