• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MCV: Retail sources talk used Xbox One games, £35 for used game in UK [U2: Eurogamer]

linko9

This defeats the value of used games for me. I buy used games off amazon sellers where the price is set by the market, rather than a price $5 less than the new game set by Gamestop. Effectively no benefit to buying used for me on this console.

Why should I be happy about this? Only gamestop will benefit so I guess no wonder they don't mind. I still won't touch this system with a 100 foot stick

Does anyone seriously - seriously - think Sony won;t bow to publisher pressure to do them same thing?

is everyone really pretending that?

Sony likes the Japan and Europe markets they dominate too much to care about what the publishers want. The publishers are more than welcome to publish their $20 million cost AAAA titles on Xbone only and have fun trying to recoup their costs on only one of the two next-gen consoles.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
There can't possibly only be one price point for used games surely?
If I want to buy Kameo now because I missed out on it at launch, I want to pay 5 quid for it, not fucking 40 quid. The big difference here is that retailers will no longer set the price of used games. MS will. How ANYONE can be fine with this beggars belief.

According to the article, retail can set whatever price they want and MS takes a percentage.

So unless MS has a minimum fee here, they won't really be controlling prices.

However, MS taking a cut will likely influence used game prices upwards and/or trade-in values downwards. Unless Gamestop is happy to take a cut in their margin.

Trade-in values at places like GameStop/EB are already ridiculously low. I'd imagine we'd get even less under this system so the retailer can keep profit at maximum. Also eliminates alternatives like eBay and private resell, trade or giveaway. No more rentals...

Yep, this doesn't benefit the consumer in any way.

1) Private transactions - lending, private sales, trades - are gone under this model * except user-to-user sales through MS's online marketplace, which sees the buyer paying full price, and the seller probably only getting Xbox Dollars credit
I really haven't seen any indication that there will be "user-to-user" sales with any sort of credit for the original buyer.

When they've talked about it, it simply sounds like the second user is just purchasing a new license for full price.

Amir0x

Banned
Well thanks for the holy PRIVILEGE of being allowed to sell my own fucking games used to a store of your own choosing, Microsoft. Do you want to hold my fucking dick when I take a piss next as I accept this in trade for renting, borrowing and lending?

What a fucking gas this shit is. I sincerely hope that the remaining few stragglers in the game community who continue to take this shit on the chin wake up and start vocalizing their distaste for losing extremely significant rights they've had since they started spending money in this industry.

This entire concept is about Microsoft thinking every consumer is a fucking piece of shit dishonest little sheep who at any moment themselves might commit piracy or actively decide not to play these horrible AAA games after they spend any time with rentals. You know, because you can't have people thinking for themselves and actually REJECTING the strategy you have adopted, can you?

I fucking hate myself right fucking now for ever buying an Xbox and Xbox 360. I helped made this shit possible. I fell right into this goddamn trap and I should have fucking known. This is Microsoft, after all. These goddamn animals.

Toki767

I would not put it past GameStop to give you less money for used game trade-ins than they already do with this new system to keep their profits up.

I think nobody is taking into consideration that the amount given to Publishers and Microsoft will come out of the customers pocket. If now you get jack shit for a new game at Game or GameStop in the future you will get jack shit - (%publisher) - (%Microsoft).

Futhermore, you won't be able to sell the game through Ebay, which many people do to avoid getting a shitty deal from Gamestop etc.

It is in no way fair to the customer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i guess. but personally for me, lending and borrowing are big. and ability to privately sell and buy is bigger. I don't sell my games but I do buy plenty from people on local ad sites.

Absolutely. I used to lend games all the time and if any of my gaming buddies were still console oriented, this would have sent them into rages.

It's a shitstorm waiting to happen and I hope retailers turn their backs on this system. That's pretty much the only hope there is now of it dying a quick death.

What's with all the "seems fair" comments?

Built into the RRP of a game is the expectation that a game will be lent out twice and sold pre-owned once.

If this is no longer possible, I expect a huge fucking drop in the RRP of games.

But hey, if you guys want to bend over and let Ballmer felch you, be my guest.

IrishNinja

So what? Who lends £40 discs to get scratched to fuck anyway?

get better friends/ask them to take care of your shit? jesus

There could be rental editions of games, or a game rental service on the console (similar to the PS+ game trial thing)

yoshida kinda hinted at this, and after nintendo's VC sony easily has the best back catalog; honestly i don't like re-buying shit but a well done PSN netflix like service at the right price - especially if we're talking a catalog including rare shit & imports - i'd bite

I dont care if you want the discs to scratch or to fuck once I've sold it to you.

preach

Huddy

Preferred trade in partners, reduced profits for brick and mortar stores, no competition from alternative means to sell.

Trade in values will become a joke.

/Second hand market.

Sony likes the Japan and Europe markets they dominate too much to care about what the publishers want. The publishers are more than welcome to publish their $20 million cost AAAA titles on Xbone only and have fun trying to recoup their costs on only one of the two next-gen consoles.

If large publishers tried to cut off PS4, Sony would throw them off PS3 and that would bankrupt EA and Ubisoft at least with Activision not too far behind. Sony can have used games as they currently are and still receive every single next gen game from all third party publishers, seriously this scenario isn't even on the table.

According to the article, retail can set whatever price they want and MS takes a percentage.

So unless MS has a minimum fee here, they won't really be controlling prices.

However, MS taking a cut will likely influence used game prices upwards and/or trade-in values downwards. Unless Gamestop is happy to take a cut in their margin.

Are they fuck. Microsoft/publisher cuts will come from the trade in value, not GameStop's margin.

Zemm

Sounds horrible and sounds like this might end up being mainly a USA only thing, again. So people in other countries are going to get screwed over even more.

Well thanks for the holy PRIVILEGE of being allowed to sell my own fucking games used to a store of your own choosing, Microsoft. Do you want to hold my fucking dick when I take a piss next as I accept this in trade for renting, borrowing and lending?

What a fucking gas this shit is. I sincerely hope that the remaining few stragglers in the game community who continue to take this shit on the chin wake up and start vocalizing their distaste for losing extremely significant rights they've had since they started spending money in this industry.

This entire concept is about Microsoft thinking every consumer is a fucking piece of shit dishonest little sheep who at any moment themselves might commit piracy or actively decide not to play these horrible AAA games after they spend any time with rentals. You know, because you can't have people thinking for themselves and actually REJECTING the strategy you have adopted, can you?

I fucking hate myself right fucking now for ever buying an Xbox and Xbox 360. I helped made this shit possible. I fell right into this goddamn trap and I should have fucking known. This is Microsoft, after all. These goddamn animals.

Yup.
It's less freedom for us to buy and sell and more money for Microsoft. Pure greed.

And yet no one complains about buying games on Steam, which is even worse in every way than this new Xbone system. In fact, everyone praises Steam to the heavens all the time.

It hurts man =(

I just have to say every post from you about this has been spot on though. We're not seen as consumers through MS eyes anymore. We're seen as dirty little peasants to extract money from and fuck off if you live in the 3rd world.

And yet no one complains about buying games on Steam, which is even worse in every way than this new Xbone system. In fact, everyone praises Steam to the heavens all the time

Give it a god damn rest. This has been explained so many times in so many threads you have to be purposely ignoring it to defend MS at this point

UrbanRats

All this shit is seriously giving me a headache.

I already don't like Steam too much, if they want me to buy this thing they really have to step their game up.

Wait so if the disc is the unique activator and they are thinking of private sales, possibly through XBone lives then what happens when I then take that disc to a retailer, does the private sale I just made go sour and the new owner lost the game or does the disc magically gain a license from the ether.

My guess would be you pay a restocking fee or get less credit (this happens with online passes).

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status

Well, it all started with paying for XboxLive to be honest. I just never understood why I had to pay for something I get for free on the PC (and is much better) and on the PS3.

I had an xbox360 because of the late PS3 release, and never paid for Xbox Live even during that time.

Jucksalbe

Banned
And a few years ago people thought it was ridiculous that publishers wanted a share of the used market. Seems like so long ago.
Looking forward to see what we'll accept in another few years.

Sheroking

Fixing a problem that only exists because companies over-spend by screwing the consumer out of their rights to re-sell.

I'm sorry, Microsoft. You suck.

Linkified

Indeed. This shit won't fly in Europe, the national competition boards and the EU CC will force MS to open up the system.

Of course it will fly in Europe - OPEC is a fucking cartel but you don't see Europe trying to break that up do you. Plus the only people who have been briefed are retail. WE don't know if there is a system in place for customers to do it themselves on the console. Plus Sony will do the exact same thing with PS4, EA doesn't give up on online passes if only one console is implementing this type of system

Krilekk

Banned
Or you could just create a new gamertag for each game you buy and then sell the account. Obviously not on eBay because they don't allow such practices but there are different sites. If it works anything like on 360 you would then log in to the console with the newly bought gamertag, plug in a second controller with your own gamertag and could play the game on your gamertag as long as the other profile is logged in.

Well damn, Phil just confirmed this:

The difference, though — the benefit of Xbox One is that that data can roam with me. I can go to my friend’s house. I can log in as myself into his machine. I can then play that game on his machine, and while I’m logged in, he can play it as well.

But he said another interesting thing. If I buy a game I can use it on any X1 in my house. That's not possible with the current XBLA setup. My guess is unlike now, where purchases are bound to your gamertag and your console the X1 is also able to chat with other X1 in the near surroundings to exchange those rights locally.

Toki767

COD: Ghosts - Trade in Value; 9.99 - Buy Pre-owned; 54.99!

And that'll be the high trade-in value. After your Power Up Reward bonus!

But he said another interesting thing. If I buy a game I can use it on any X1 in my house. That's not possible with the current XBLA setup. My guess is unlike now, where purchases are bound to your gamertag and your console the X1 is also able to chat with other X1 in the near surroundings to exchange those rights locally.
I think that's under the assumption that both systems have the same Gamertag as the owner.

Of course it will fly in Europe - the only people who have been briefed are retail. WE don't know if there is a system in place for customers to do it themselves on the console. Plus Sony will do the exact same thing with PS4, EA doesn't give up on online passes if only one console is implementing this type of system

Until they announce it, this is just an assumption. Of course I'm sure some people are praying that Sony does do it so everyone gets fucked.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
And yet no one complains about buying games on Steam, which is even worse in every way than this new Xbone system. In fact, everyone praises Steam to the heavens all the time.

Not everybody likes the way Steam does things and indeed we may see a change there sooner or later. Besides, the PC domain spaces has always operated a bit differently then consoles in the sense that it has always had a very small used games market.

oldergamer

That's nonsense, sony will bow to the big publishers making games. Or those publishers would pull support. That's usually how it works. I wouldn't be surprised if you see certain games exclusive on xb1 just because sony has different ideas. This clearly would not be the first time sony had been strong armed by publishers. In the ps2 era sony really hated rockstar for strong arming them on many occasions with GTA. GTA was huge in sales and moved many ps2 units.

btw for the resale of a licenses through xbox live, I'm hoping that the resale user can set the price they are willing to take. since all xbox live transactions are in dollars (or will be). I also think this won't stop cash trade-ins at participating used game retailers. You're essentially selling the license back to stores. Hopefully this all applies to mom and pop stores.

rentals is something else, I bet to rent games you need to purchase a special rental version of the game, kinda like how blockbuster would purchase rental copies at a higher price where proceeds go to the movie studios. Or perhaps it would be possible to purchase a floating licenses for a higher price ( like 3D animation software ).

devilhawk

This controversy bothered me the least out of all of it. Devs deserve their money. Games aren't cars. It would have been nice to actually have an answer planned though when someone asks it 10 minutes after your show.
A car seems to be a great analogy to physical media, actually.

You should apply for a job at Microsoft. They'd love to have you.

Plenty of people criticize Steam, myself included. I never buy digital unless there literally isn't a physical copy of the game available for sale.

And even if Steam has issues, it's still leaps and bounds better than this idiotic system that just forces a middleman into every transaction when they don't deserve to see shit from used games sales.

djyella

Publishers Win

Retailers Win

This is something both sides of the equation can support... what, therefore is the big deal if you can still go to a major retailer and trade in your stuff?

Who cares if it is wiped from your account? You no longer have the fucking game.

Consumers lose...how is that so hard to see? I don't think anyone is complaining about not having the game anymore.

- I can no longer loan a game to a friend for them to play
- I can no longer sell my game outside of approved channels

Why should Microsoft or the publisher get a cut?
Does Ford get a cut when I sell my car?
Does Levis get a cut when I sell my jeans?
Does Nike get a cut when I sell my shoes?
Does Sony get a cut when I sell my TV? Receiver?
I could go on and on...hell, Apple doesn't even go after preowned iPod sales...

People like you make me sick when it comes to this kind of stuff. Just go ahead and give up all your rights. I've said it before and I'll say it again. I hope they fail miserably. Crash and burn.

Alex

All digital services aren't cut from the same cloth. Is Microsoft going to open up, like Steam and start allowing publishers to work with other storefronts to foster competition and better deals/sales for the players like how I get 95% of my day one games for 50-60% off with added bonuses? PC titles are far cheaper, and more of an evergreen scenario because they're pretty much always being included in well advertised deals and promotions.

madmackem

It is possible i play between two now, what are you talking about?.

I hate myself right fucking now for ever buying an Xbox and Xbox 360. I helped made this shit possible. I fell right into this goddamn trap and I should have fucking known. This is Microsoft, after all. These goddamn animals.

I'm always the first to say someone's going too far, but in this case, I fucking curse their stinking blood.

That aside, you have to be a special kind of dense to not see the difference between OWNERSHIP OF A PHYSICAL XBOX DISC and a STEAM DIGITAL DOWNLOAD. This is a new kind of fuck.

Imagine not being able to sell a DVD. You wouldn't have bought any. Is the argument that nobody buys them anymore anymore? Great, let's see how that goes.

Of course it will fly in Europe - OPEC is a fucking cartel but you don't see Europe trying to break that up do you. Plus the only people who have been briefed are retail. WE don't know if there is a system in place for customers to do it themselves on the console. Plus Sony will do the exact same thing with PS4, EA doesn't give up on online passes if only one console is implementing this type of system

If EA try anything they would also have to give up publishing on PS3 which would basically end up in bankruptcy for them. Sony are in the position of power here because they have the console that sells the most software WW right now.

The EU won't break up OPEC because of retribution from oil producing countries cutting off supply and sending the economy into a tailspin. It is not a comparable situation in any way whatsoever.

That's nonsense, sony will bow to the big publishers making games. Or those publishers would pull support. That's usually how it works. I wouldn't be surprised if you see certain games exclusive on xb1 just because sony has different ideas. This clearly would not be the first time sony had been strong armed by publishers. In the ps2 era sony really hated rockstar for strong arming them on many occasions with GTA. GTA was huge in sales and moved many ps2 units.

That's not how it works this late in the generation when 30-40% of third party publisher revenue is made on one of Sony's platforms. Sony are the power player in this scenario.

I'm not even a PC gamer, and I don't have any problem with Steam. How the fuck would you even trade or resell a digital product anyways? Makes no fucking sense compared to an actual physical product (Xbox games). Get a non shitty argument already.

You know what terrifies me? That this piece of shit console is going to succeed.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
And a few years ago people thought it was ridiculous that publishers wanted a share of the used market. Seems like so long ago.
Looking forward to see what we'll accept in another few years.

No, it is not all that ridiculous and not just limited to the video games sector. I do recall Hollywood trying to stop the proliferation of the VCR because recordings we going to kill the market in their words. This is the same shit in a different pile.

Top Bottom