• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jonathan Blow : "doing a deal with MS is an existential risk for your company & game"

Polygon have an article with indie devs and the importance of self publishing, it focuses mostly on the difference between MS and Sony policies. Blow's comments really stood out :

Blow said that ultimately he went with Sony because he dislikes what Microsoft does and "doing a deal with Microsoft is an existential risk for your company and game."

"One day they might just wake up irritated, or just get a crazy idea that they want to do something a different way now, and in the process they make your life hell or screw up your game," Blow said.

"I think there are very few developers who will tell you that Microsoft treated them respectfully, though there are a few that do feel that way."

Vlambeer's Rami Ismail seems to agree to an extent :

"Microsoft has a terrible reputation within the scene," Ismail said. "A lot of people think that Braid, Fez and Super Meat Boy earning a lot of money on Xbox Live Arcade means that indies will be waiting in line for another go at the platform, but their experiences with dealing with the platform have been enough to scare a lot of developers away from it. We're people that love making games and that are willing to do business and work hard to make games, but we don't have the resources to risk dealing with people that are undependable."

But it's not all one sided :

Not everyone agrees on Microsoft and its policies. Capybara co-founder and president, Nathan Vella, praised Microsoft for their support on Super Time Force, currently in development for Xbox 360. Vella was also featured in the presentation video during Microsoft's Xbox One reveal.

http://www.polygon.com/2013/6/7/438...d-off-next-gen-consoles-and-the-importance-of

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Damning comments from the poster child for signing a deal with MS.

.. Well him and Phil Fish, who is also on the F*** Microsoft tip these days.

If Team Meat is anything to go by, aren't Microsoft really disrespectful and dishonest when it comes to partnering your game with them on Xbox Live Arcade?

EDIT: And Phil, said he can't patch Fez because Microsoft wants to charge him for it.

Sponge

Banned
I've been telling people that for years. Tons of studios have bit the bullet or lost quality after working with Microsoft.

Mikey Jr.

Holy shit, did MS kill his family or something?

I have never seen someone show as much hate for a company as this guy.

RobbieH

People should read the whole article and not just what Blow said. Quite damning, and just strengthens everything we've heard recently about Microsoft's stance on indie games.

Cipherr

Talk about his own shit maybe?

Like his past deal with Microsoft? Seems fine to me, you just seem annoyed that he doesn't have much positive to say about the way things went.

ugh...I could care less about MS; this dude is annoying.

If it was Phil Fish I might be there with you. But Blow isn't exactly 'always' talking about any damn thing. You are acting like he gets interviewed every 5 minutes.

At the end of the day they will go where the biggest audience is.

I'm sure the guys that made State of Decay are feeling terrible with the deal they did with MS and over 200k sales the first day.

dosh

Holy shit, did MS kill his family or something?

I have never seen someone show as much hate for a company as this guy.

To be fair he also has this to say about Sony:
"We know that Sony says they offer self-publishing, but I don't even know what that is going to be like yet, and I was in their launch show," Blow said. "It is possible that, in reality, ‘self-publishing' on the PS4 ends up being not that different from ‘not self-publishing' on the [Xbox One]."

StuBurns

Banned
He's in an unfortunate position, on one side, he's going to look like a dick for slagging off the company that made him a millionaire, on the other, he's a very notable indie figure and does have a responsibility to provide sage advice to the up and comers.

He's always going to get shit on either way.

The Witness will be incredible, and nothing else really matters.

BigDug13

Either console that charges indy developers to release a patch, especially when the fee is so ridiculous, is not a good place. Have either company stated if patches were still going to cost money next gen for self-publishing developers?

Cipherr

What fight? You fuckers are paranoid. I can't despise this guy just because?

Sure, but unless you have something constructive to say, or can add to/refute anything in the article, its probably best to despise him, quietly. Your post was shitty, and I'm sure you know that.

People should read the whole article and not just what Blow said. Quite damning, and just strengthens everything we've heard recently about Microsoft's stance on indie games.

I really wonder how this is all going to effect this gen. Will be interesting to see.

Risette

A Good Citizen
Talk about his own shit maybe?
Yeah, he should just shut up and know his place, am I right? Who the hell does this guy think he is, talking about issues in the industry as a developer? All he needs to do is talk about his GAME in a vacuum where nothing else exists or matters.

Drek

He sure likes to talk .

He is widely considered an indie scene role model, so I don't see the problem with that. Braid was one of the first indie game to break out on console and a lot of developers are trying to mimic his success by getting on consoles.

Top Bottom