• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jonathan Blow : "doing a deal with MS is an existential risk for your company & game"

Marleyman

Banned
Then how did Microsoft provided him with success if they neither conceived the game nor created the game nor funded the game? They just provided him the platform on which to sell his game much like they have done for all other indie devs over the years.

Right. He was successful on their platform.

Marleyman

Banned
Your condemnation of him sounded very much like it stemmed from him "shitting" on MS after they provided a platform for his first big success. Is that not about loyalty?

If you want to read about his game, you can. If you're tired of hearing about what he thinks about other things, blame the people who post threads about it and blame yourself for reading them.

Of course you don't have to like it, but you seem to be saying you wish he'd shut up. Can you not simply ignore the things he says when they aren't relevant to your interests?

I blame the press who is asking the questions.

dosh

'You're either against Microsoft or with them'. Not saying it's hivemind yet, but it's pretty much what's going on lately here.

Yeah, it's a bit annoying. I'm really angry with what I've been reading about MS these past few months, but seeing people getting jumped because they express something even remotely against the flow is strange.

To be fair, the guy goes on replying, that's not very smart either.

burning-bridge.jpg

A good quote from one of the Team Meat guys after they publicly called out MS on problems they had was something like "After we said all that nasty stuff about dealing with microsoft we had other developers came to us and ask "hey why did you say that and burn your bridge with Microsoft" and we just responded "hey man they burned their bridge with us".

Its nice to see developers grow some balls in these situations now that they dont have to play favourites to the one powerful platform holder like MS early this gen or Sony last gen.
So many other just as profitable options out there now means they can just say fuck you and still go make a living on steam or something.

Ho come on. He just doesn't like the guy, and his first post wasn't even that harsh. That doesn't make him an MS apologist.

My post wasn't based on this one instance.

And incase you missed it, I didn't express love for Blow. I don't hold him in high regard.

RedAssedApe

Banned
I doesn't sound like he's just being a schill cuz he's working with Sony now.

Braid is what made him a known commodity. I can't remember if it released on 360 or PC first but I think MS promoted it pretty well as part of its yearly Summer of Arcade?

DeBurgo

He sure likes to talk .
Why do people on this forum say stuff like this about developers and their opinions? Do you... want all developers to be mute? What kind of sentiment is that?
Didn't everyone hate Phil Fish for the same thing?
Yeah, they did, and it's disgusting. This getting angry over individuals for expressing their opinions thing needs to stop. It's fine if you don't agree with them, but getting mad about them even speaking out is ridiculous.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism

I didn't.

However, Blow has said some really smart shit and I respect him for being a smart, open guy. Fish just says dumb, off-the-cuff, sometimes insulting stuff. I don't hate him for expressing himself, but I don't necessarily value what he says.

codhand

no Fish said all japanese games are bad and was mean to some nice guy asking a question at a conference. then told fans on twitter to suck his dick when they criticized him.

Fish and Blow situation are different, when Blows starts throwing personal insults at people who disagree with him, then maybe

What? you haven't got he doesn't like MS ? Because many definitely have, not just me.

Does it upset you that he speaks his opnions? Is it keeping you up nights? Does it worry you that people will listen and maybe think differently as a result?

If the answer "no, of course not, don't be ridiculous" to each of these questions, then why so serious? (If the answer is yes to any of these questions, then maybe bail out.)

Marleyman

Banned
And do you really think the press shouldn't be asking indies what they think of the new platforms at this crucial time of generational transition?

They should be asking him more about his game; whatever else he is working on. Instead, every time he is interviewed it is about MS and their policies. What don't you get about what I want to hear?

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
I wonder at times if Sony had a time-traveller come back and help them make the absolute best strategic choices to cause the ultimate shitstorm for Microsoft really.

Their faces must ache from smiling so much when someone like Blow voluntarily spouts this kind of venom aloud.

Maztorre

You know what else is annoying? Being piled on for not liking the fact that this is the go to guy for shitting on a company that gave you your only hit.

You were "piled on" for posting nothing of substance ("he sure likes to talk"), then expecting him to ignore questions about console publishing policies to, and I quote, "talk about his own shit"...in an interview about the importance of self-publishing on next-gen consoles.

Oh yeah, and if you decide to post about how you hate someone "just because", please fully expect to be called out on the stupidity of such a statement, which contributes nothing, when you could simply have ignored the thread.

I blame the press who is asking the questions.

You're right, they should go back to softballing PR handlers by asking how awesome their upcoming release for xbone will be. Who cares about the concerns of indies anyway?

Blow does run his mouth. I like it when people speak their mind, but seriously....

It is ironic that XBLA and the push it got from MS was the method most people even got to know who he is. He's got a bit of petulant artiste to him. I quite like it.

Marleyman

Banned
Why do people on this forum say stuff like this about developers and their opinions? Do you... want all developers to be mute? What kind of sentiment is that?

I want him to talk..about his fucking game for once. It seemed like a cool idea but lately when I see his name, I come in and it is about MS. It isn't his fault; he is answering the damn questions.

codhand

id be willing to bet blow would shit on sony publicly just as much if they pissed him off enough

he got on stage and shat on "all those explosions" seriously god bless him for that, im sure Sony execs were thrilled with that feb reveal jblo opener where he disses killzone and whatever else he followed...

Marleyman

Banned
That's one I haven't seen. Most have been some variation on "But Sony hasn't said anything" which could come off to some that you're leaning one way over the other.

My apologizes.

It is no big deal. I just want them both to say what the hell they are going to do to us. MS has done it; it sucks. Now it is Sony's turn.

watership

Blow has always been opinionated, but he does think his games don't have to play by publishing and content submission rules. Rules all devs have had to deal with. MS Sony and Nintendo have always had these certifications, so that the user experience maintains a standard. And I think that in many cases Sony has now bent their rules, to attract more devs to their platform. MS does this too. Minecraft broke many XBLA guidelines, and MS accommodated them. Even blow said so in 2008

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=19748

Gamasutra said:
Responding to this article in the comments below, however, Blow said he also wanted to stress the positives of his interaction with Microsoft -- "they were also cool about a lot of things," he said.

"They didn't try to dictate the game design, as many publishers might -- they were very hands-off there, and what is in the final game is exactly what I wanted to put there."

"They also bent a lot of XBLA rules, in order to help me make the game the way I wanted, which was pretty cool of them," he said -- one example, the way in which Braid launches and places the player directly in the game is "technically illegal if you go by the book, but they saw what I was trying to do and went with it."

"For the most part, working with Microsoft has been great," says Blow. "There have been occasional problems, including one that I was very upset about -- but there are people at Microsoft who really got the game and worked very hard to help bring it to completion, and it would just be wrong to slight their contribution with some kind of blanket 'Microsoft = Bad' attitude."

Does it upset you that he speaks his opnions? Is it keeping you up nights? Does it worry you that people will listen and maybe think differently as a result?

If the answer "no, of course not, don't be ridiculous" to each of these questions, then why so serious? (If the answer is yes to any of these questions, then maybe bail out.)

His opinion isn't what's annoying about him. It's the fact that he thinks he speaks for others. Others may in fact share his opinion, but when he categorizes those who don't as a "few", he's a fool. As I said before, speak to what you know and people will pay attention. He has a valid story to tell about * his* own relationship with Microsoft. He also has a game coming out soon. Maybe talk about that too. I'm looking forward to seeing it be played at E3. The concept of an open-world puzzle game is far more interesting than rehashing his failed relationship.

Isn't that way too early to say? SoD's just come out.

225k sales in 3 days. The devs just referred to it as a "miracle". Obviously not too early for them to say.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
They should be asking him more about his game; whatever else he is working on. Instead, every time he is interviewed it is about MS and their policies. What don't you get about what I want to hear?

Here are the answers to those questions: He's not working on anything else. He'll tell you more about The Witness when he's ready. These are predictable responses and not the subject of the article.

As for what I don't get about your position, I don't get why you want him to shut up because he's not saying what you want to hear. I want all developers to say what they think, all the time. That's the ideal situation for someone interested in games. That, of course, cannot be a reality because games are a business with their own politics.

I'm badgering you because I hate it when people say or imply that someone who was interviewed should just shut up.

Blow has always been opinionated, but he does think his games don't have to play by publishing and content submission rules. Rules all devs have had to deal with. MS Sony and Nintendo have always had these certifications, so that the user experience maintains a standard. And I think that in many cases Sony has now bent their rules, to attract more devs to their platform. MS does this too. Minecraft broke many XBLA guidelines, and MS accommodated them. Even blow said so in 2008

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=19748

Huh, so what happened between them to cause this level of anger on Blow's part?

Marleyman

Banned
Here are the answers to those questions: He's not working on anything else. He'll tell you more about The Witness when he's ready. These are predictable responses and not the subject of the article.

You know he isn't? We don't know because every time he is interviewed it ends up being about MS and their policies towards him.

hey_it's_that_dog said:
As for what I don't get about your position, I don't get why you want him to shut up because he's not saying what you want to hear. I want all developers to say what they think, all the time. That's the ideal situation for someone interested in games. That, of course, cannot be a reality because games are a business with their own politics.

I'm badgering you because I hate it when people say or imply that someone who was interviewed should just shut up.

I clarified why I said what I said already; the same questions are asked of him every time there is a new thread about him lately. Is it really too much to ask for them to ask him about his title/future titles?

StuBurns

Banned
Over 221k sales in 48hrs says it worked out great for UDL.

MS properly advertised the game, dedicated dash time to it up to release. Things they've been rightly hammered for not doing in the past.
That is very impressive. It does seem like a strong game too. Although it also seems much more expensive than something like Braid/SMB.

I think either way, no one is really going exclusive, SoD is coming to PC, as is The Witness. As long as indie's are hedging their bets, it'll be best for everyone I imagine.

You know he isn't? We don't know because every time he is interviewed it ends up being about MS and their policies towards him.

And if Sony does him wrong, he'll cry and moan incessantly about them too. He doesn't come across as a company hater. It's his personality. He's the Taylor Swift of the video game business.

Judging by some of the replies I guess due to him being successful on there but he's free to disagree with what xbox has become

I think his would have been successful anywhere but I guess we really can't say. Even if it did do well JUST because it was on the 360, obviously the relationship with him and Microsoft wasn't so great. Same with some other indie devs out there.

Top Bottom