• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jonathan Blow : "doing a deal with MS is an existential risk for your company & game"

StuBurns

Banned
No matter what has happened with negative reactions to Blow over the years, lets be clear, he shits on others more than gets shit on.
Well no, clearly not. Because for every instance of him shittin' there's a GAF thread with fifty people shitting on him.

tfur

Eh, this opinion of doing business with Microsoft existed long before the existence of the Xbox. Not surprised to hear the same things being repeated.

Signing any kind of exclusivity deal for a indie is a risk IMO. A bunch of games have gotten burned by exclusivity this generation. Blow and Team Meat have been very public about there problems. We saw Joe Danger 2 get killed by its weird "dont mention the PSN version" deal. I have heard the "yeah it sold like shit so hopefully releasing it on steam will make it profitable" from a few PSN devs as well but nothing on the "fuck MS" levels we have head from some of the more vocal guys like Blow.

Anyway for a indie the goal should try get there games on everything.

JDSN

Banned
Obviously he has no idea what he is saying even tho he has worked with MS in the past.
Long Live One.

I don't mind him talking about his experiences at all. But when he starts talking for other devs and paints a picture that only a few people have liked working with Microsoft, then his opinion becomes worthless. Speak to what you know, not what you presume to be true.

I am not a public figure and rarely get interviewed; do you?
No but I have the common sense to realize it's not good to dodge questions and since he is almost like a sage, or elder figure in the indie scene its probably nice of him to help those up and coming or those interested in making a indie game so they don't get fucked (at least not as hard).

dosh

Paranoid about what?

You can despise whoever you want but don't expect to not be quoted on it if you post it on a public forum.

Ho come on. He just doesn't like the guy, and his first post wasn't even that harsh. That doesn't make him an MS apologist.

Ding-Ding

Who originally had a game made on XBLA. Try to keep up dear.

Not to forget he has been having digs at MS long before he got on stage for Sony.

It is a familiar story now. I can remeber not long ago, Id seen an indie devs twitter feed (cant remeber which indie though). He stated "Just got new contract from MS. Its insulting"

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
You know what else is annoying? Being piled on for not liking the fact that this is the go to guy for shitting on a company gave you your only hit.

Read the article. He's not the only one with complaints about MS policies. And since when does anyone who isn't an employee owe a corporation loyalty?

burning-bridge.jpg

Somebody should photoshop the Braid guy running across.

watership

Ho come on. He just doesn't like the guy, and his first post wasn't even that harsh. That doesn't make him an MS apologist.

'You're either against Microsoft or with them'. Not saying it's hivemind yet, but it's pretty much what's going on lately here.

BigDug13

So are both companies going to charge $40,000 per patch to indy developers again? Because that certainly clamps down on the indy development.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
To be fair, Blow was already blowing off steam at Microsoft since before the Sony deal.

i-Lo

Never said that

Then how did Microsoft provided him with success if they neither conceived the game nor created the game nor funded the game? They just provided him the platform on which to sell his game much like they have done for all other indie devs over the years.

As such why should J. Blow feel beholden to them for a financial arrangement even to this day?

codhand

i used to dislike jBlo. more, but the more i listen to his interviews, yes he's pretentious, esoteric, academic etc, but we need more of that in the industry, theres a shortage of thoughtfulness, and reasoned activism.

and ms should be kissing his ass, not the other way around,

ms shoulda put a ring on it

Marleyman

Banned
You "despise" Jonathan Blow because he speaks openly about his perspective on the industry and its major players?

What's wrong with you?

What is wrong with you? I would much rather hear about how game development is going for him than the same thing over and over again. It gets attention, which is why they ask him the same shit all the time. I don't have to fucking like it.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
He doesn't owe any loyalty; I just want to read about what he is doing with his games.

Your condemnation of him sounded very much like it stemmed from him "shitting" on MS after they provided a platform for his first big success. Is that not about loyalty?

If you want to read about his game, you can. If you're tired of hearing about what he thinks about other things, blame the people who post threads about it and blame yourself for reading them.

What is wrong with you? I would much rather hear about how game development is going for him than the same thing over and over again. It gets attention, which is why they ask him the same shit all the time. I don't have to fucking like it.

Of course you don't have to like it, but you seem to be saying you wish he'd shut up. Can you not simply ignore the things he says when they aren't relevant to your interests?

Top Bottom