• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 used game support same as PS3

http://www.polygon.com/2013/6/11/44...ty-publishers-can-dictate-their-own-drm-terms

"Well, I mean, we create the platform, we've certainly stated that our first-party games are not going to be doing that, but we welcome publishers and their business models to our platform," Tretton said. "There's gonna be free-to-play, there's gonna be every potential business model on there, and again, that's up to their relationship with the consumer, what do they think is going to put them in the best fit. We're not going to dictate that, we're gonna give them a platform to publish on.

"The DRM decision is going to have to be answered by the third parties, it's not something we're going to control, or dictate, or mandate, or implement," Tretton added.​

In short:

The PS4 will be exactly like the PS3 as it is now. That means publishers can implement some kind of DRM on their games e.g. online passes.

Unlike Microsoft, however, Sony will not facilitate this by making the PS4 always-online. So there are two immediate questions that spring to mind from this.

1. How could publishers implement an authentication system for PS4 games? Are they limited to online passes? Does EA backtrack?
  2. Does the PS4 make it so unrealistic for publishers to pursue DRM that they we may see them pull back from this on the Xbox One? Could Sony’s decision be good news for Xbox fans?

Loudninja

The Online Pass program for PlayStation first-party games will not continue on PlayStation 4. Similar to PS3, we will not dictate the online used game strategy (the ability to play used games online) of its publishing partners. As announced last night, PS4 will not have any gating restrictions for used disc-based games. When a gamer buys a PS4 disc they have right to use that copy of the game, so they can trade-in the game at retail, sell it to another person, lend it to a friend, or keep it forever.
http://www.gamefront.com/sony-third-party-drm-refers-to-playing-used-games-online-only/

Dammit gaf stay stable.

M.D

Statement from Sony clarifying what Jack Tretton said

“The Online Pass program for PlayStation first-party games will not continue on PlayStation 4,” he said. “Similar to PS3, we will not dictate the online used game strategy (the ability to play used games online) of its publishing partners. As announced last night, PS4 will not have any gating restrictions for used disc-based games.

“When a gamer buys a PS4 disc they have right to use that copy of the game, so they can trade-in the game at retail, sell it to another person, lend it to a friend, or keep it forever.”

I think it's worth editing the title and add this statement to the first post so people don't misunderstand

Samyy

I think they've seen the backlash but well see online passes from a few companies, maybe just EA to start.

Nokterian

I do not worry about it how it is now. But if they have not shown how it was with Diablo 3 and Simcity. Well i hope for the love of god that they don't do like Ubisoft did before with PC gamers.

Still going to buy a PS4.

So, if Microsoft gets rid of the always-online feature, then they are no worse then Sony? Also, Sony basically has the same DRM policy as far as "Publishers decide if they want to control used copies", from my understanding?

Or does it just mean, companies can do online passes and the such, but all discs will be unlocked regardless? The wording is throwing me off.

Samyy

Yea this news has been up for a while and no one seems to be confused in my circle or that much on twitter

ascii42

Statement from Sony clarifying what Jack Tretton said

I think it's worth editing the title and add this statement to the first post so people don't misunderstand

Makes sense that they wouldn't continue online passes since there you now have to pay to play online.

Yeah, same ol $10 online pass from publishers like EA.

It doesn't mean a publisher will try to pull something like XBone's DRM. And if they do, the game will bomb, because there will be a whole library of other games to choose from on the same system without said dumb DRM scheme. Simple as that.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Caused a bit of a fright initially just based on Tretton's comment, but the clarification answers a lingering question about what will and won't be allowed.

This is good - the implication is that DRM on single player/offline content on discs is not allowed by Sony.

KevinManLegends

Neo Member
Yup, giving the rights to game companies to offend or not offend their consumers is the correct choice. I don't really want the console manufacturer's dictating what the publishers/devs have to do with their games. Even if it means some are going to be indignant about my use of their games (which I will just not use).

Eric Hirshberg (Activision) was asked about it on GTTV's stream. He wouldn't be specific about what they would do because he says that they just found out about it, but he pointed out that they don't have a history of DRM. Pointing out that they never did the online pass model. He just believes in making content that people want.

Once again, Sony misleading people by being vague.

The first party games will not have DRM but third party can?
That's some bullshit misdirection right there.

Into

Just like current gen consoles, just like the PC has been for years.

Its not misdirection, its how things are on the PS3 and 360 now (and PC). No different

Nice to see Sony dropping online passes for their first party games.

Read the thread? Or even just the bolded in the OP would do it.

Some of the tech blogs jumped the gun on his initial statement, whipping up a bit of a panic. I'm looking at you Engadget & The Verge...

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey

They clarified Tretton's comments, someone should put it in the OP and change the title.

Certinty

To be fair Tretton worded himself poorly when asked about it.

But good to know all this confusion is now cleared up. I assume EA will bring back online passes now though, I just wonder what excuse they'll use for this.

RiPPn

Banned
I think they've seen the backlash but well see online passes from a few companies, maybe just EA to start.

Do you think EA can reinstate online passes after making a big deal about getting rid of them? Should be interesting to see how this plays out.

netBuff

First party games won't have online passes, but third party games can: This has already been clarified by Sony.

The Op is misleading.

Irnbru

Its no DRM for offline, online stays at the status quo, I'm cool with that, got an online pass, fu, and sony said they will not doing online passes anymore, so great. Crisis Averted.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
So, if Microsoft gets rid of the always-online feature, then they are no worse then Sony? Also, Sony basically has the same DRM policy as far as "Publishers decide if they want to control used copies", from my understanding?

Or does it just mean, companies can do online passes and the such, but all discs will be unlocked regardless? The wording is throwing me off.

It means they can do online passes but not drm on offline/singleplayer content on discs. It's the total opposite of Microsoft's system.

Also, Microsoft isn't giving much choice to pubs. People keep saying it's an opt-in system. But opting out on Xbox One means your games are blocked totally past the first user. It's a 'choice' between crap and crappier as far as the consumer goes.

GhaleonEB

So, with online gaming moved behind the Plus paywall, no online passes for first party games. 3rd parties do what they want, as with the PS3.

Works for me.

Top Bottom