• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA unveils new plan for Origin, includes consoles

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
And incredible analogies like Origin is not a DJ.

GamesIndustry.biz said:
"We think of Origin, in this new world, as the gracious host of the party. It's not the center of attention; it's not the DJ, it's not the dance director, it's just a gracious host. It's someone who greets you at the door and ushers you in to where you want to go and points you in the direction of your friends so that you can go and party with them together. That's really how we see it."
GamesIndustry.biz said:
"I think your perception is absolutely correct," Wilson agreed. "I think when I look at the journey that service has taken, I think the transaction component of that service has taken a disproportionate amount of the communication and mindshare of what we really try and provide, and the barrier that that puts in between you and the game that you want to play."
GamesIndustry.biz said:
"You don't want a service that competes with other platforms like Microsoft or Sony or iOS. You don't want a competitive service to them, what you want is a complementary service that enhances your game experience irrespective of where you made the transaction. That's the shift you're going to see from us."
GamesIndustry.biz said:
"I am not so naïve as to believe we will change that perception quickly. Certainly at a core Origin team level our job is to make your games better. There are things that Origin delivers that will in fact do that, and it can be completely silent and not come between you and your game."

"What we are really looking at now is how do we make sure that that's possible," Wilson continued. "How do we make sure that if you never want to see that gracious host again, you don't have to - you go straight to the game. But if you want to call them up and you want to find out where your friends are, where the latest cool party is or whatever that might be, you can do that. I think that's the difference.
GamesIndustry.biz said:
That's what you're going to see from us over the next year, which is really re-establish Origin as a service to gamers, not as a means to drive transactions."

Wilson appreciates just how difficult this task will be. "I want to re-iterate, it's very important for people to understand that we don't expect that all of a sudden people are going to get up and go 'Oh! Great! We now love Origin!'" Wilson said.
GamesIndustry.biz said:
Wilson acknowledged that the service has changed over time from that original vision. "Over the years ... there've been some permutations of that vision that have manifested as part of Origin," Wilson said. "I think what we've done is taken a step back and said 'Wow, we've actually done some really cool things with Origin.' It is by no means perfect, but we've done some pretty cool things. As you say, the plumbing is there. What can we do now to really think about Origin in the next generation?"

The task of moving Origin forward requires going back to its founding ideas, Wilson believes. "Part of the reason why I think it came back in to me was my history with Origin," said Wilson. "And the ability to take a step back and say OK, now that we have the plumbing what does 'make your EA games better' mean? What does 'make it easier to access those games' mean? What does 'enhanced gameplay' mean? What does 'connect with friends' mean in the context of Origin, and what does that mean for the PC, for console, and for mobile? Really coming back to our roots as a service for gamers, versus anything else that it may have been perceived to have been over the last few years by virtue of its various permutations or changes in direction."
Source: http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articl...n-is-not-about-transactions-its-about-service

Paches

That's what you're going to see from us over the next year, which is really re-establish Origin as a service to gamers, not as a means to drive transactions.

Really coming back to our roots as a service for gamers

Has it ever been a service that is gamer friendly in relation to its competition? I guess give them credit for understanding it blows and trying to make it better, but they have a long road ahead of them.

kick51

Banned
Origin is that weird guy at the party who found out you like video games and won't stop coming up to you to talk about video games while you're trying to party

Eusis

I'd argue that even in a best case scenario it's still a redundant service on top of another service, but I have to admit I think I might have some degree of lingering bad feelings just from GFWL on Steam games. At best you just had frequent password issues and had to play games with saves to get them recognized, and at worst... well, there's more than enough horror stories there.

I do think that for anyone who isn't inclined to be crazy and actually sign into all optional services (me) this is just going to be a pain in the ass for people, nevermind how fickle EA could be.

JustinBB7

They want to make it better? That means they will stop forcing it right.. and I can finally play Dead Space 3/Battlefield 3 right.. right.

Carl

It's someone who greets you at the door and ushers you in to where you want to go and points you in the direction of your friends so that you can go and party with them together

So it's the guy that everyone hopes would fuck off, but everyone is too polite to say anything.

BibiMaghoo

But origin is wank.

Taking BF3 as an example, the user interface is LEAGUES better on consoles than on PC. I can access everything from in game. You know, on a normal menu screen. I don't have to fuck around with browser updates and plugins, or quit to desktop to play coop or single player.

I assume this will not change though, as I can't see people using a browser on PS4/One to launch a game.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
A better analogy would be the guy who's just a little too old to be at the club, grabbing at girls' elbows and grinding with nobody in particular

I see Origin as a party host like Rick Moranis in Ghostbusters.

RYFKDRq.png

Wants everyone to like him but is actually really annoying and ends up getting locked out of his own parties.

Why does everyone hate origin?

(I'm not a PC gamer)

Personally, it's because they locked their games to it, then sold them everywhere else but Steam. Rather than trying to drive their own platform, it was like they sought to damage a competitor. Plus, it's a bit shit really.

BibiMaghoo

You know what the sad part is? That would be an upgrade.

I died a little saying that.

True though. Last time I used GFWL a couple of years ago, I could message people on XBL. I tried this the other day on my new ish PC, and the option to do so has been removed.

No pay wall? No messaging. Even EA would not stoop so low.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
How does this fit in with the "EA wanted origin as eshop for Wii U" rumour thingy?

Klyka

Banned
Origin as a software has worked so much better for me than Steam in any way, it's hard to take the comments in this thread serious.

daveo42

Banned
so is this a new variation of Online Pass for next-gen?

"We will no longer use online passes. Instead, you'll need to connect to Origin and hop through a few hoops before you can play your game. Good luck."

I am not surprised by this new at all. Putting all of your games behind the Origin wall gives them the control they want without having to really create anything new and it allows EA the opportunity to try and make their service look better than Steam because it's on consoles too.

Watashiwa

Why does everyone hate origin?

(I'm not a PC gamer)

It was obviously EA's attempt to replicate Valve's success with Steam, and a little while before the service launched they yanked a bunch of their games from Steam. It's also feature incomplete, a lot of stuff that Steam added over the years still hasn't shown up on Origin. Oh, and EA has a nasty habit of locking Origin accounts if you do something they don't like on one of their forums.

Owzers

I don't understand what "unveils" means in this context since it seems like a bunch of metaphors and not actual details.

Ichabod

Banned
Got excited for a split second thinking their new plan would be to deep six Origin, but then I saw "includes consoles" and sighed.

Top Bottom