• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA unveils new plan for Origin, includes consoles

jblank83

Aren't you a rebel. You surely are sending the big evil corporation a message.

Well, it was either not support a company whose business practices I don't like, which I think employs practices that are harmful to the industry as a whole, a company which has pursued these practices for not just 5 years, not just 10, but back to the mid-90s when they pressured and bought out numerous developers with promises of autonomy, then purposely mismanaged and sunk them, thereby acquiring IP, valuable worker resources, and decreased competition (e.g. Origin, Bullfrog, Maxis), then did exactly the same thing these last 10 years in the console space, practices exemplified by their lies regarding the Steam platform and their horrifying customer service, or post mealy mouthed, passive-aggressive, immature insults on message boards to anonymous message board posters.

It was a difficult decision, but I think I went with the right one.

So is this going to be like Uplay on PC where even if you buy a game on Steam you have to download the Uplay client and then sign into the Uplay servers every time you want to play a game?

"You don't want a service that competes with other platforms like Microsoft or Sony or iOS. You don't want a competitive service to them, what you want is a complementary service that enhances your game experience irrespective of where you made the transaction. That's the shift you're going to see from us."

This sounds like DRM or the Uplay example.

Danneee

It would seem that EA wishes to discourage me from purchasing their games on consoles now as well as PC.

Yep, and it's too bad as I was actually looking forward to play Battlefront. But I'm sure there will be enough games to play as always anyway.

So is this going to be like Uplay on PC where even if you buy a game on Steam you have to download the Uplay client and then sign into the Uplay servers every time you want to play a game?

This sounds like DRM or the Uplay example.

Thats where it looks like its going. Million dollar question is whether at some point because of this change they will allow their PC games on STEAM again.

zma1013

Origin is like a detour exit that you're forced to take and it takes you places you never wanted to go only to end up putting you right back on the same road you were just on that you still would have been on had you not been forced to take the detour in the first place.

EA abandoned the Online Pass because they care about gamers! That's why they've graciously* brought all gamers the very much lauded** Origin!

*Origin required for all EA games.
**LOL

Dear Origin, let us buy EA game on Steam. And fix that coop bug in BF3 that is around since launch (you know, roughly 18 month ago) and then we'll talk

Cynar

Origin as a software has worked so much better for me than Steam in any way, it's hard to take the comments in this thread serious.
Do you work for EA? it's really hard to take your comment seriously if you've used origin and compared it to others.

KKRT00

How come my account got taken over then?

username
password
security question

all changed

Reset password and send link to email?

---
Do you work for EA? it's really hard to take your comment seriously if you've used origin and compared it to others.

Steam can be buggy sometimes and was very buggy. Origin and EADM were always quite stable, but of course had less features.

And there is it.

Even more horrifying and draconian than I imagined. Expect a lot of accounts to be suddenly be locked and/or deleted based on what they've been doing in the past.

Madness

Wait so what exactly will this do for gamers? Consejo gamers especially? I think I've been forced to make an Origin account when I play games like NHL or Mass Effect on X360...Half the times it's annoying waiting for the server check or asking me if I want to send my usage info or sign up for emails.

Qwell

Put me and most of my friends in that camp that doesn't mind Origin. My only issue with it is that I can't gift games, but the prices have been fine, I can pickup great sales on Amazon and Greenman Gaming to easily add to my library. It was the first client where I could choose where to install each game on an individual basis.

I suppose it helps that me and a lot of my friends are Battlefield 3 junkies so we got tossed in early. We also all really like the web app to start BF3 games. It makes finding games and waiting for load times all that much easier. I mean heck PC are about multitasking so why not watch a youtube or whatever while waiting for a server queue, or simply adjust your loadout while the game loads in the background.

I can understand their reasoning. Why put my titles on the competitors Store when I can make my own? Origin originally was really shitty but it has improved somewhat, its not on the level of steam in regards to features and what no.

Origin is like 8 years old... It used to be called EADM

They almost as time as valve to make something decent but it's shit. No amount of rebranding is going to change that.

excowboy

It is generally difficult to believe that solutions in search of problems are good things, yes. If someone can identify to me the problem that all non-EA games have and EA games do not, I will readily cede that I have been unkind to Origin.

Fair enough - like I said I've never used it so don't 100% understand the negatives. What I got from the OP was that Origin will be something quite different from a digital distribution platform in future, so rather than a solution without a problem, will become something that adds value for gamers, whatever that might be.

Also, it seems like 90% of posters in this thread didn't read the OP but only responded to the thread title. Most of the comments boil down to 'Origin is pointless/doesn't work/is crap/I hate EA' - all of which may be fair/your opinion, but they are all addressed to some extent in the quotes in the OP.

As I said before, by all means believe it when you see it, but maybe EA will transition from the company we love to hate and earn gamers trust and respect, and I personally think they're making the right noises. It would at least be more interesting to discuss that possibility and what these plans for Origins are rather than just presume it'll be crap.

Refuse to bring games like Madden to PC because they're afraid the mod community will make a superior game out of it

Say they're not going to bring their new IGNITE engine to PC

I don't want to say I hate Origin, that's a very strong word, but I dislike it(A LOT)

I just don't believe they can ever be on the same level with Steam.

Put me and most of my friends in that camp that doesn't mind Origin. My only issue with it is that I can't gift games, but the prices have been fine, I can pickup great sales on Amazon and Greenman Gaming to easily add to my library. It was the first client where I could choose where to install each game on an individual basis.

I suppose it helps that me and a lot of my friends are Battlefield 3 junkies so we got tossed in early. We also all really like the web app to start BF3 games. It makes finding games and waiting for load times all that much easier. I mean heck PC are about multitasking so why not watch a youtube or whatever while waiting for a server queue, or simply adjust your loadout while the game loads in the background.

It makes no sense to have to run Origins and Battlelog together at the same time. Steam does it way more elegantly with TF2 server browser..they could've at the very least built everything into Origins instead of Battlelog being a web app.

Rafterman

Banned
I've been using Origin since it was just the EA downloader and I've never had a single issue with it. People love to hate EA, and some of them have valid reasons, but there is nothing wrong with Origin. In fact, if you aren't into all the superfluous junk that keeps getting added to Steam and just want a service to buy, download and play games on it's every bit as good as Steam or better. Most of the games don't even require the launcher and games download in about half the time.

Kanyon

Origin for me is this useless thing that always starts when I want to play Battlefield 3.

Pretty much sums up my thoughts on Origin. I just want to play Battlefield 3 and I'm cool with having to go through Battlelog, but having Origin pop up each and everytime I load a game is very annoying.

With Steam it's unintrusive and stays minimised, Origin still likes to pop up even after you turn on run minimised, run in system tray or whatever bullshit option it has that's completely useless.

PaulLFC

Sorry for the bump - this was the most recent Origin thread that I could see and I didn't want to start a new thread just for this.

Is anyone else getting terrible download speeds with Origin today? Nothing I try to download will go over 295 kb/s - even though I can pause Origin, start a download on Steam and get 1.1MB/s.

Speeds are never usually that bad on Origin, so I've no idea what they're doing that's causing them to be so bad. It's almost as if it thinks it's bandwidth limited to 300kb/s, but I know of no way to set or change that.

Wiktor

I have no big problems with it. Clean UI, fast and optimized client. Lots of plenty good sales. I just wish it would be fully support all EA products. It's ridiculous that I can't download free-2-play Old Republic from it or buy BioWare DLC through Origin.

Besides that though, it's been pretty damn good service. The more competition Steam gets the better.

Top Bottom