• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA unveils new plan for Origin, includes consoles

Gammacide

Why would I want another gatekeeper? Valve throws great parties. Steam parties are legendary! Just sell me the game ffs! Isn't it enough that I buy your game, but I have to play it through another portal too? I haven't bought ME3 on principal because of Origin. In other words, they are not making money by tying their product to that service. Wouldn't they rather just have me buy their game and play it however I like?? Sorry this is a bit rambling but I just hate some of their ideas for the future (and present).

CTLance

Pessimistic worldview, ho! "so that's where online passes went."

Meh. We'll see. Not keen on yet another login. Like, at all.

Maztorre

You don't want a service that competes with other platforms like Microsoft or Sony or iOS. You don't want a competitive service to them

...but that's exactly what you're doing with Steam right now. You thought you could compete with that platform so you took your toys and locked them into Origin and it has failed. Which is why you're now on another PR parade attempting to rebrand it, and talk about how it's different than before, which is everything we heard the last time around, and the time before that when it was the EA Download Manager.

If they want to be the gracious host then surely they should allow Origin to fade into the background and release their titles on Steam.

Providing Origin guarantees that I will not buy any game that uses it, forever.

They are playing the "we care about and love game players" card waaaay too heavily.

joeblow

Ever since they dropped Steam support on PC, I knew EA would pull this stunt on next gen consoles. So we now will have a PSN name and an Origin name for their games? The Konami ID layer with MGS4 failed completely, no lesson learned?

The new UIs in next gen consoles will have nearly every basic feature we need. EA doesn't need to force their own system on top of that. The ultimate reason for this? They want more control over their section of the online store and feature only their stuff and DLC. They don't want to be just another publisher on the PSN store. They better not make us set up a separate pay account to give EA money directly.

"We think of Origin, in this new world, as the gracious host of the party. It's not the center of attention; it's not the DJ, it's not the dance director, it's just a gracious host. It's someone who greets you at the door and ushers you in to where you want to go and points you in the direction of your friends so that you can go and party with them together. That's really how we see it."

I don't know exactly why, but this is the first thing I thought of when I read that:

anigif_enhanced-buzz-12758-1366465869-11.gif

I don't mind Origin as it is today... but this... this just... blerghf.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Origin does not enhance anything about the play experience and EA would be better served building ad-hoc per game experiences on top of the existing frameworks provided and available. Ditto uPlay.

Duster

What does 'make it easier to access those games' mean?

Put the disc in the console, the game works without having to input codes or sign into anything other than PSN/XBLA, doesn't get much easier than that.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I wish EA would get over Valve's DLC policy. While I don't mind using other clients/services if I have to, if Ubi can have its Steam games boot up individualised instances of Uplay, you can do the same, EA.

antitrop

As a PC gamer, I feel bad. It's as if I've taken a shit in a bag and left it on console gamer's doorsteps, I somehow feel personally responsible for their impending burden.

Liamario

Banned
Dear Mr Origin,

We don't want to go to your party. We tried it before and it wasn't for us. Some if the beverages you provide are delicious and we would very much like to consume them. But please, bring them over to our party which everyone already enjoys and then we can all enjoy what everyone brings to the party in one place.

Regards,

Mr Steam.

Paskil

Sorry if this was addressed in the OP or since, but two questions.

Does this mean a push towards cross-platform multiplayer? Does this mean cross-buy like PS3/Vita?

Really, this PR speak is fucking dumb. We don't need a gracious host on console. The console is that gracious host. PC is a fractured while consoles are closed, open environment so there is an expectation of some type of DRM or controls to at least attempt to curb piracy. Here, it's a non-issue. Is there actually anything substancial here, or is this high-level PR bullshit?

chiablo

Origin is not terrible. I'd say that my overall experience with it is positive and on-par with what Steam offers (minus the sale prices). The reason I hate it so much is because it's being made by EA, a company that cares more about their stock price than the customer's interests.

antitrop

Origin is not terrible. I'd say that my overall experience with it is positive and on-par with what Steam offers (minus the sale prices). The reason I hate it so much is because it's being made by EA, a company that cares more about their stock price than the customer's interests.
I hate it because it's like if 10 years ago I stored my PS2 and Xbox game discs in different rooms of the house for no reason.

FyreWulff

Why would I want another gatekeeper? Valve throws great parties. Steam parties are legendary! Just sell me the game ffs! Isn't it enough that I buy your game, but I have to play it through another portal too? I haven't bought ME3 on principal because of Origin. In other words, they are not making money by tying their product to that service. Wouldn't they rather just have me buy their game and play it however I like?? Sorry this is a bit rambling but I just hate some of their ideas for the future (and present).

Steam needs to let me talk to people outside of the Steam network via their client, or let me add my Steam friends to external clients like Pidgin and disable the in-client messaging. Oh wait, that'd defeat the social lock-in aspect.

jWILL253

Banned
Always-online DRM is coming to consoles. That's pretty much what this means. They are probably gonna set it up so that an Origin account is required to play of their games, and you will need to be constantly connected. They are probably gonna hide it behind a bunch of cloud shit, or some "we want to be able to give you content as soon as it's available" bullshit.

EA and Microsoft are both cancers of the industry...

JDSN

Banned
I think of Origin as the annoying guy I have to talk to so he can give a fuck-approval to his hot female friend. (Dark souls 2)

Top Bottom