• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo 2DS: Lighter than XL, worse battery, mono speaker, screens same size as 3DS

apana

I am not sure why people are pissed about it though, it is strange but it changes absolutely nothing for current 3DS owners or those expecting to buy one unless I am missing something here.

I don't get the resistance to the concept. It's ugly, sure, but it's meant to be a more budget-level system to compete with the iPod Touch and other cheap handhelds.

I am not sure why people are pissed about it though, it is strange but it changes absolutely nothing for current 3DS owners or those expecting to buy one unless I am missing something here.

It's Nintendo, they are the most popular whipping boy.

People sure can't get them off their minds though.

KarmaCow

I'm not livid but I would have loved a nonshit 2DS with better battery life since I don't care about 3D at all.

ElFly

I assume they are refactoring the manufacturing of the original 3DS to this, maybe even discontinuing it?

Still baffling that the battery life is worse.

x3sphere

I don't know why you all keep whining about this, it's meant to be a Pokemon machine for 7 year old kids.

Should be cheaper than $129 then no? I mean you can get an a cheap Android tablet for around $70 bucks. Something decent like the Kindle Fire isn't much more expensive either.

It's not designed to replace either 3DS so I guess it's okay. I'm obviously not the target for this device. Will stick to the XL.

How is this thing heavier than a 3DS?

Also: Apparently it's just one big screen under the plastic frame. If true, that would be one weird aspect, shitty screen.

Where did you hear this?! o_O

That's the most bizarre practice I've ever heard (well, close to it).

Explains the lack of being foldable.

What's funny about the whole 2DS thing is I played a round of SMB3 on my GBA SP last night and wondered if there was anyone inside Nintendo who wished we hadn't gotten all fancy with our Wi-Fi and our hi-res screens and so forth and could design a newer handheld that simplified things--back to the basics like the original GBA.

This isn't quite that system, but it tells me there probably is someone there, thinking those same things I am.

ASIS

Posted in the other thread.

image_60348_thumb_wide930.jpg

What a terrible looking family...

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Nintendo is clearly on a mission to confuse the shit out of consumers as much as possible.
I wonder if you guys were so vocal at the release of the DS lite, DSi, and DSi XL. I'd imagine not though. It's pretty in vogue to shit on Nintendo for any reason these days.

So how portable is this do you think?

It's not that big I guess

Looks a bit unsightly to try and take out in public though but whatever

I hate the XL, and even I would buy it over this crap. Literally no reason to get one. Should have used these funds to redesign that garbage ass Wii U system shell.

Timeaisis

Yeah, "My First Nintendo Handheld", indeed. Why is everyone attacking it? I'm not getting one, neither are most adults. It's clearly for young kids. Guess what? Christmas is coming up.

z6ln.jpg

Reminds me of this for some reason. Maybe It's the color? Anyways, like I said in the other thread, I just don't want this to cause market confusion, so long as it doesn't impact 3DS sale negatively I've got no problems with it.

Also, I guess this confirms that 3D on the console was always intended to be a gimmick.

Nintendo should allow retail games to be 2D-only if desired. It frees up power for better graphics and could allow for less headaches for smaller devs, who knows, could open up even more support.

Hell yeah. I don't know why but I really want one. Can't wait to pick it up as my new 3DS. Only thing that concerns me is if its gonna get a circle pad pro. Can't play monster hunter without one.

Meesh

Shouldn't they be fixing Wiiu issues first before sabotaging 3ds?
Edit: I just think this'll probably confuse consumers Is all...

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
The idea that the Nintendo faithful are trying to pass this off as "ITS FOR KIDS OKAY" is mind blowing. Especially when Nintendo themselves never stated such, and even released media of adults using the system.

Now you're just outright lying. It is explicitly made for a target age group of kids under 7.

According to Fils-Aime, the idea for the 2DS came from wanting to appeal to younger consumers, as the standard 3DS is aimed at players age seven and up.

link (IGN)

Should be cheaper than $129 then no? I mean you can get an a cheap Android tablet for around $70 bucks. Something decent like the Kindle Fire isn't much more expensive either.

Well I'm not a marketing expert but I imagine if you have the power of Pokemon backing your product there's really no need to drop it to $99.

Josman

Not foldable? Confusing the market more? Didn't they learn anything from the Wii U? This company, i swear...

jmls1121

Banned
I don't know why you all keep whining about this, it's meant to be a Pokemon machine for 7 year old kids.

Some gamers are truly offended when Nintendo periodically lets slip that video games and video game hardware are toys.

Do Apple fans get pissed when Apple releases hot pink and neon green versions of their products?

Jesus, settle down people.

jwhit28

I wonder if you guys were so vocal at the release of the DS lite, DSi, and DSi XL. I'd imagine not though. It's pretty in vogue to shit on Nintendo for any reason these days.

I remember explaining to my mom that Pokemon Gold wouldn't work on my Gameboy Pocket and I needed a Gameboy Color and then having to do the same thing again when Gameboy Advance was released 1 year later. It wasn't that hard.

GeeDuhb

After looking at it more, I can kinda understand Nintendo's thinking on this. The 3DS box DOES have a warning on it that it is not for kids younger than 7 (the 3D part, at least.) That could be off off putting to parents of younger kids. And they do this the week after the second biggest gaming event of the year, and less than 3 months before the holiday shopping season starts? It makes sense.

BUT, it's ugly as hell.

tuffy

Where did you hear this?! o_O

That's the most bizarre practice I've ever heard (well, close to it).

Explains the lack of being foldable.
It's mentioned in a hands-on article.

Faking two screens with one large single screen makes sense since Nintendo probably wants to go in that direction anyway with its future handhelds, and this provides backwards-compatibility. They just need to take out the bezels and let 4DS games drive the whole thing.

What?

It's the cheapest, doesn't fold, and plays all DS library (3D and 2D) games.

You guys need to find a new word to harp on because you've clearly lost the meaning for 'confusion'.

You're referring to a demographic that by and large had Nintendo's product offerings muddled by the letter 'U'

DigitalOp

Banned
The only way I could truly hate it is if I started seeing them in the wild like crazy and no Vitas lol

Its going to happen... matter of time

I just really hope this allows me to cop a 3DS XL for even cheaper. I fux with it (granted, it took a while though lol)

Top Bottom