• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Lost Worlds Impressions

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Hey everyone, this is Dusk Golem aka AestheticGamer. I have posted on NeoGAF since 2011, and have decided to resign. I have enjoyed posting about horror games here for years, but I no longer wish to support the site and will be leaving for good. I will still be around the internet, I go by AestheticGamer on YouTube, I make games on Steam as Yai Gameworks, and I plan to go by Dusk Golem on other forums. I'll be joining an off-set of the GAF community leaving to try other ventures like ResetEra (Official Twitter for that here: https://twitter.com/reseteraforum ). I hope some of you who read this may consider it, and I plan to try to expose more people to horror games in the years to come. Just not here.

I hope you all are having a good day, and know I always loved the community, and in the end it's the community I'm going to stick with, not the site itself. If you want to follow me, my official Twitter is here: https://twitter.com/AestheticGamer1

Nice to see a hands-on impression.
A question.
Did the mechanics/physics feel right?

Personally I was interested in Sonic Lost Worlds until
I heard it was for Wii U only > It looked like Mario Galaxy > They then brought back the wisps which I didn't enjoy at all and felt like they ruined Sonic Colours(which should've been a great game).

In the end, I just want Sonic Generations 2. Put off by too much of Sonic: Lost Worlds to care at this point, and I generally still enjoy the Sonic games.

Dusk Golem

Hey everyone, this is Dusk Golem aka AestheticGamer. I have posted on NeoGAF since 2011, and have decided to resign. I have enjoyed posting about horror games here for years, but I no longer wish to support the site and will be leaving for good. I will still be around the internet, I go by AestheticGamer on YouTube, I make games on Steam as Yai Gameworks, and I plan to go by Dusk Golem on other forums. I'll be joining an off-set of the GAF community leaving to try other ventures like ResetEra (Official Twitter for that here: https://twitter.com/reseteraforum ). I hope some of you who read this may consider it, and I plan to try to expose more people to horror games in the years to come. Just not here.

I hope you all are having a good day, and know I always loved the community, and in the end it's the community I'm going to stick with, not the site itself. If you want to follow me, my official Twitter is here: https://twitter.com/AestheticGamer1

Sciz

Wisps were in Somic Colors, and return here, but instead of using them automatically, in Lost Worlds (both in the WiiU and 3DS versions). They go into an inventory for you to use anytime in that stage

They weren't used automatically in Colors either. When you say inventory, did it look like you could hold more than one?

TheOGB

Banned
Thanks for the impressions. Controls sound as I thought, takes some getting used to but works out in the end. For parkour I think if you start slowing down you can quickly spindash before you fall of to keep your speed up. Is spindashing done with both triggers?

Oh, and you totally can choose not to use/pocket Wisps in Colors.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Seems weird that this isn't just called Colors 2.

but I'm just happy that it exists. I'm honestly a lot more hyped for this than Rayman and even DK.

cluderi

Sounds good, thanks for the impressions. Haven't played a Sonic game since Sonic Adventure, looking forward to getting back to it.

wrowa

The controls definitely feel a little unintuitive at first and I'm sure that the new way of controlling Sonic will lead to a lot of heated arguments when the game finally releases, but after you get used to the controls, the game definitely starts to shine. It's a very interesting new take for the Sonic franchise, though I'm not entirely sure yet if it actually fits a 3D Sonic.

RomanceDawn

Sounds good! I played this at Comicon and while I dont remember my playthrough the biggest impression I have is that Sonic finally felt 100% right for the first time in his 3D Life.

Elija2

I'm kinda worried about the 3DS version since it's being developed by Dimps, but your impressions of it make it seem like it's actually pretty good. I guess we'll see when it comes out.

NotLiquid

Seems weird that this isn't just called Colors 2.

but I'm just happy that it exists. I'm honestly a lot more hyped for this than Rayman and even DK.

Presumably because according to Iizuka the Wisps are "staples" of the franchise now so no point in calling it by the title they were introduced in.

Regiruler

I'm kinda worried about the 3DS version since it's being developed by Dimps, but your impressions of it make it seem like it's actually pretty good. I guess we'll see when it comes out.

Not every game they made has been shit: Sonic Rush Adventure was really good.

Dusk Golem

Tuck

Presumably because according to Iizuka the Wisps are "staples" of the franchise now so no point in calling it by the title they were introduced in.

Eh I hope not. The wisps were clever enough for one game but I'm not exactly happy they are returning. Maybe just cause they were annoying as fuck in that one Generations stage.

NotLiquid

Eh I hope not. The wisps were clever enough for one game but I'm not exactly happy they are returning. Maybe just cause they were annoying as fuck in that one Generations stage.

The Spike Wisp was crippled in Generations to support the different physics, it was a lot faster and snappier in Colors. Doesn't help that the Orange Wisp, the worst Wisp from Colors, was in it too.

I like the potential they offer but I've yet to see some flawless execution of them. Granted, this time around they seem to have taken the best ones from Colors, made them better and added some new ones which actually don't look too bad.

TheOGB

Banned
I think the line of thought for the Wisps in the future was "We'll use them when they fit what we're going for." Don't think they explicitly said that though, but we'll see.

You can
Carry one of each type of Wisp and they don't disappear for any circstance and can be used whenever.
Woah. So yeah, that is an improvement on Colors, then.

It doesn't take an entirely too long to to come at hands with the controls, but they're different and take a bit to get the fingers and mentality right for them. They feel very solid whenit starts to Click, though.
Cool, great to hear.

Hype train resumes!

Elija2

I just don't have much confidence in them making a good 3D Sonic game. From the footage I've seen of the 3DS version the game looks jankier than the Wii U version and the level design doesn't look great either.

qq more

Generations handled the wisps really poorly. I wonder what the hell happened there since the game was so good otherwise.

qq more

That's kind of the thing. They every now and then make a good game, but then they make really frustrating ones. Their last 3 games haven't been so impressive... (Sonic 4 Eps 1 and 2 and Sonic Generations 3DS). I'm not very confident about the 3DS version but we'll see.

Regiruler

I just don't have much confidence in them making a good 3D Sonic game. From the footage I've seen of the 3DS version the game looks jankier than the Wii U version and the level design doesn't look great either.

From what I've seen the 3DS version looks fine, outside of some people not bothering to pay attention to the mechanics: its very quick to punish you if you don't learn which I'm fine with.

Dusk Golem

TheOGB

Banned
edit: Dusk Golem it's funny you say FRENZY, because your avatar has always reminded me of a super fucked up looking Nega Wisp [Armor] for some reason

Aquarium Park is officially the greatest Sonic song

officially.
But how can that be when Sweet Mountain, Planet Wisp, and Terminal Velocity are all from the same game?

Colors has too many great tracks

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
I want to believe this will be worth it, Sonic generations and Unleashed have really soured me on the franchise as of late. However, I will be cautiously optimistic, looking forward to both games on the 3ds and wii u.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important

Sonic Rush Adventure was mediocre, with terrible missions, shitty friends all over and boring level design.
Sonic Rush was the superior game and was indeed awesome.
Sonic Generations 3DS range from good to very good.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
Sonic Rush Adventure was mediocre, with terrible missions, shitty friends all over and boring level design.
Sonic Rush was the superior game and was indeed awesome.
Sonic Generations 3DS range from good to very good.

Generations for the 3Ds was pretty uninspired. Obviously because some of the levels were near carbon copies of their originals but there was much to be desired in the level design. Still was better than the shitfest that was the console version though.

qq more

Generations for the 3Ds was pretty uninspired. Obviously because some of the levels were near carbon copies of their originals but there was much to be desired in the level design. Still was better than the shitfest that was the console version though.

Now I have heard everything. I mean I should respect one's opinion but this is surprising to hear.

RagnarokX

What they've shown so far is pretty damn good

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXmPNVZH9pQ

The songs we've heard so far seem heavily inspired passed Sonic games. That Windy Hill song sounds like a remix of Can You Feel the Sunshine Sonic Unleashed style.

I think wisps take away too much from Sonic's gameplay. Apart from drill and spike none of the wisps in Colors were particularly fun to use. Hover was just awful. The ones we've seen so far don't look so great, either. You got one that turns you into a slow moving eagle, one that makes you destroy and suck up pieces of the environment as you clumsily jump around, and one that lets you slowly jump between musical notes.

Good to hear. I'll be getting this game when I get my Wii U then.

No it wasn't. Of all the portable Sonic games you choose that one? The original Sonic Rush was good, and the three Sonic Advance games were good. Did they also do Sonic Battle? Regardless, the 3DS version will be fine.

WillyFive

I was also somewhat disappointed for some design decisions in the game after I heard about them, but I'm liking the impressions.

That's just nuts.

Ivan 3414

Have you played Colors? The color powers are much better there; Spike is far less wonky in particular and Rocket is used sparingly.

RagnarokX

I instantly heard that

I keep hearing Rooftop Run + Can You Feel the Sunshine?

No it wasn't. Of all the portable Sonic games you choose that one? The original Sonic Rush was good, and the three Sonic Advance games were good. Did they also do Sonic Battle? Regardless, the 3DS version will be fine.

Dimps is universally awful at level design and, apart from Sonic Advance 1, physics.

Sonic Lost World 3DS looks like it has really annoying level design focused around hitting switches, killing enemies, and collecting things.

Top Bottom