• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Lost Worlds Impressions

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Hey everyone, this is Dusk Golem aka AestheticGamer. I have posted on NeoGAF since 2011, and have decided to resign. I have enjoyed posting about horror games here for years, but I no longer wish to support the site and will be leaving for good. I will still be around the internet, I go by AestheticGamer on YouTube, I make games on Steam as Yai Gameworks, and I plan to go by Dusk Golem on other forums. I'll be joining an off-set of the GAF community leaving to try other ventures like ResetEra (Official Twitter for that here: https://twitter.com/reseteraforum ). I hope some of you who read this may consider it, and I plan to try to expose more people to horror games in the years to come. Just not here.

I hope you all are having a good day, and know I always loved the community, and in the end it's the community I'm going to stick with, not the site itself. If you want to follow me, my official Twitter is here: https://twitter.com/AestheticGamer1

ElFly

Bro, the thing that has me worried about the Wii U version, is that whenever Sonic is going to do a jumping homing attack, if he is running, the screen comes to a screeching halt before sonic goes flying.

But on the videos of the 3DS version this doesn't happen.

How does that feel? Is there a stop before using the homing in either version?

NTom64

Am I the only one who actually enjoyed Sonic 4 Episode 2?

I enjoyed it, but it's best played in co-op and even then the bosses (barring the final one which is actually kinda neat) are terrible. The worst kind of "Wait...wait...wait...OK now you can hit me" kind of padding.

Here's hoping Episode III fixes this problem.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
The ranking system was tricky from what I could tell. Lowest ranking I saw gotten was a D, highest was a B. They were giving Sonic merch to anybody who could get a B rank or above on any stage. Rank is decided by score, which is effected by time, rings, Flickies collected, stage score, and deaths.

Does the PAX demo finally have rankings for the Wii U version? Also: Are the 3DS version's levels still so enormously long? I found them to be annoyingly long and the enemies to be too strong for a proper game flow.

I enjoyed it, but it's best played in co-op and even then the bosses (barring the final one which is actually kinda neat) are terrible. The worst kind of "Wait...wait...wait...OK now you can hit me" kind of padding.

If there ever will be an episode 3, maybe.

I enjoyed it at first but it went downhill pretty quick...

Dimps pls

I thought it was an decent improvement over the first game which was originally pretty unispired. If there is ever an episode 3 I actually got decent expectations for it. Since they seem to actually improve with each update instead of treading backwards.

As for the co-op part I agree. So many times I did Special Stages and results were

GOAL:300
SONIC - 297
TAILS- 002

Dusk Golem

Bro, the thing that has me worried about the Wii U version, is that whenever Sonic is going to do a jumping homing attack, if he is running, the screen comes to a screeching halt before sonic goes flying.

But on the videos of the 3DS version this doesn't happen.

How does that feel? Is there a stop before using the homing in either version?

It didn't feel unnatural to me, though that may be that if you're locked onto multiple enemies and use a homing attack, you automatically attack all of them, and get some extra air time, so you have a bit more time to react. It maybe could be annoying in certain situations I could imagine, but I usually used the time he attacked chains of enemies to scan ahead to figure the layout of the next section. I'll observe to see if this sticks for both versions today as I can't remember if it does or doesn't.

If possible, I'll try and get crappy cellphone videos of the 3DS stages of Frozen Factory and Desert Ruins stages as well, as I believe the others have all already been seen.

Does the PAX demo finally have rankings for the Wii U version? Also: Are the 3DS version's levels still so enormously long? I found them to be annoyingly long and the enemies to be too strong for a proper game flow.
Rankings weren't there yet, though the rank screen itself is, updated the OP to note it was only in the 3DS version in the demo. I've only played Frozen Factory, try to play some more today. The stage wasn't short, but I was fine with its length as it was varied and wasn't doing the same thing over and over, but see how I feel after playing the other stages. In the stage, most enemies were one hit kills with a few exceptions, but they were more obstacles than previous games. The only instance in that stage where you had to beat an enemy to continue was the mentioned giant robot worm miniboss type robot who couldn't be homing attacked or bounced at. Enemies and set pieces felt more core to the design of the 3DS version than the WiiU version.

I liked it, but its really standard. Occasionally I'll play it on my phone to do the levels I liked though. Dont think I'll ever do a straight playthrough of it ever again

I think that's the thing, I never expected it to be phenomenal or even decent. But it was competent enough for me to have a good time. Plus they actually made an effort with the level designs, but I would agree to a point, the quality is average.

The music, while still carrying that candy tune from old Taito Arcade games, is actually better than I expected. I loved Sky Fortress Zone because of it.

Dusk Golem

Hey everyone, this is Dusk Golem aka AestheticGamer. I have posted on NeoGAF since 2011, and have decided to resign. I have enjoyed posting about horror games here for years, but I no longer wish to support the site and will be leaving for good. I will still be around the internet, I go by AestheticGamer on YouTube, I make games on Steam as Yai Gameworks, and I plan to go by Dusk Golem on other forums. I'll be joining an off-set of the GAF community leaving to try other ventures like ResetEra (Official Twitter for that here: https://twitter.com/reseteraforum ). I hope some of you who read this may consider it, and I plan to try to expose more people to horror games in the years to come. Just not here.

I hope you all are having a good day, and know I always loved the community, and in the end it's the community I'm going to stick with, not the site itself. If you want to follow me, my official Twitter is here: https://twitter.com/AestheticGamer1

TheOGB

Banned
I have this feeling those who want Sonic Generations 2 are going to be disappointed, but those who want Sonic Colors 2 are going to love it. It feels like Colors, but better in every way. How Wisps are used, level design, prettiness, mechanics and controls, etc. Only debatable thing is music, but that is to be seen.
I'm okay with this. Save Unleashed/Generations 2 for next time (hopefully on PS4/XONE as well as Wii U *drool*)

Also here's another strange, music-less, not-quite 60fps video showing Silent Forest and Frozen Factory.

Blueblur1

I hope they never bother. Any development resources put into an Episode 3 would be too large of an opportunity cost. Those resources should towards a project that would actually be interesting and worthwhile.

Regiruler

I have this feeling those who want Sonic Generations 2 are going to be disappointed, but those who want Sonic Colors 2 are going to love it. It feels like Colors, but better in every way. How Wisps are used, level design, prettiness, mechanics and controls, etc. Only debatable thing is music, but that is to be seen.

jack-nicholson-yes.gif

Kanyon

Thanks for the impressions Dusk Golem, much appreciated.

The more I see of this game the more it impresses me, it's definitely something different to the normal 3D Sonic games. Can't wait to try it out when it comes to Australia.

Ramune

(I ended up figuring this out fighting a miniboss type monster that looked like the giant worm enemy from Sonic the Movie... Yes, I saw that when I was a kid, and was kind of surprised they used it in the game as I don't actually think it was ever in any of the games; Who couldn't be homing attacked or bounced, and I ended up defeating him using the Ivory Lightning power).

That was a giant Crawlton, the worm badnik that would pester you in Sonic 2's Mystic Cave Zone. /SonicNerdMode

Very nice impressions though! Liking how there's now thought involved in defeating some enemies, and the stages shown look nicely laid out. Even the 3DS game looks promising. Looks to be joining what looks like some mighty fine platformers coming out this season!

Dusk Golem

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Day 1. I loved generations, colors not so much. But this game looks beautiful and fresh.

I'm the opposite. I felt Colours was absolutely fantastic. It single handedly restored my faith in the franchise and it's honestly one of my favourite platformers this generation. Generations on the other hand was a massive disappointment and it seemed to ride on nostalgia a little too much for my liking. The modern stages were a step backwards and relied too much on speed again instead of platforming, and the classic stages were inferior to the 16 bit games. It was for the most part an enjoyable game, but that's all I can say for it. Colours on the other hand wowed me at almost every turn.

Lost World seems like a worthy successor to Colours and is bringing some fresh new things to the franchise as well. I have faith it will be even better than Colours.

Banned
I'm the opposite. I felt Colours was absolutely fantastic. It single handedly restored my faith in the franchise and it's honestly one of my favourite platformers this generation. Generations on the other hand was a massive disappointment and it seemed to ride on nostalgia a little too much for my liking. The modern stages were a step backwards and relied too much on speed again instead of platforming, and the classic stages were inferior to the 16 bit games. It was for the most part an enjoyable game, but that's all I can say for it. Colours on the other hand wowed me at almost every turn.

Lost World seems like a worthy successor to Colours and is bringing some fresh new things to the franchise as well. I have faith it will be even better than Colours.
Ha to each their own. I love speed. But I felt colors had cheap pitfall deaths that was either due to poor level design or poor camera angles. I got a frustrated and the wisps felt gimmicky. But generations was pure sonic platforming.

However, the gameplay videos shown so far show a better blend of wisps and speed, so it doesn't hinder the gameplay for me. Camera angles look great (probably due to HD graphics and Mario galaxy like design). I'm looking forward to it.

Blueblur1

It seems very similar to both games in that stages are laid out with very narrow paths with no room for exploration (or experimentation). While that is true of all 3D Sonic games, I miss the days of when Sonic Team made more open stages with plenty of discoverable shortcuts that weren't the result of glitches but of player ingenuity. Such as the Emerald Coast and Speed Highway shortcuts and many others present in Sonic Adventure. Man, those were the days.

Dusk Golem

Dusk Golem

MAZYORA

"Retro: Were there any particular games that you looked to for inspiration with Sonic Lost World?

Iizuka: The real starting point for the team was to provide a new gameplay style, so that’s where we started off. Our idea was, maybe the solution would be to have that forward-view play with the ability to go 360 degrees. There’s nothing really out there at the moment that we took inspiration from as far as other games are concerned. But when we were thinking of what kind of level designs Sonic could have that combined forward-view and 360 degree movement, the image that I had was of Jack and the Beanstalk, the stalk that goes high up into the sky. [Iizuka mimes a cylinder with his hands.] So that might not be the inspiration, but that was the image I had when we started to apply the concept to a Sonic platform game."

-http://www.sonicretro.org/2013/08/sos-2013-takashi-iizuka-interview/

Top Bottom