• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best English dubbed anime?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm off from work this week and I'm rewatching some anime I loved growing up. Here are my favorites:

1. Death Note
2. Bleach
3. Full Metal Alchemist
4. DBZ

Bleach-bleach-anime-35351962-1680-1050.jpg

What are some other really good English dubbed anime you think I should check out? Thanks in advance!

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Funimation shinchan is one of my favorites.

ultron87

Of recent stuff I've watched I really liked Steins;Gate's dub. And it is, of course, a fantastic show in whatever language you watch.

ACESmkII

The only Anime that I thought was amazing in English was the Streamline dub of the Fist of the North Star movie.

Green Legend Ran was always one of my favorite english dubs.

The voice acting was solid and the script actually seemed like it was translated extremely well.

LAMBO

Berserk was pretty good.

"TommyManberg

What's Hellsing? Is it on Netlix? "

Hellsing Ultimate, watch it now!!!! And make usre you watch ULTIMATE there was another anime series of Hellsing that sucks in comparision.

1. Cowboy Bebop
2. Fullmetal Alchemist (both are pretty well dubbed)
3. Code Geass
4. Death Note
5. Samurai Champloo
6. Cromartie High (it's a good bad dub)

Basically a good indication is if it came from adult swim it had a good dub.

Has anyone seen the dubbed version of Fate Zero? If so is it any good? I have a friend we're getting into anime but a big turn off for him is reading subtitles (he doesn't like reading).

Blader

FLCL
Bebop
Champloo
Yu Yu Hakusho
GitS: Stand Alone Compelx
Fullmetal Alchemist

DBZ's Funi/Faulconer dub will always have a place in my heart.

Ghost Stories ADV dub (below average anime made much better with the dub)

The controversy stems from ADV's dubbed version, which largely re-writes the original script (while still leaving the basic plot structure and storyline intact) in favor of a comedic one written by ADV screenwriter Steven Foster, and lines that the voice actors ad-libbed. The original Japanese audio and literal subtitle translation are also included on the DVD. A few fans lashed out against the ADV dub, charging that the company made too many edits for the dub simply for the sake of potential successful sales.[citation needed] This in turn, was rebutted by the favorable reviews and the news that the original Japanese licensor, Aniplex, approved the changes.[citation needed] Volume one of Ghost Stories went on sale on October 22, 2005.

In the dub, dialog changes from serious to tongue-in-cheek where characters often break the fourth wall, make pop culture references, engage in brief exposition, and use profanity. For example, in the first episode, when Hajime encounters Momoko for the first time, in the Japanese version, he says "She's beautiful"; however, in the ADV dub, he says "Giggity giggity!" (a reference to Glenn Quagmire from the animated sitcom Family Guy). The ADV dub also references various stores, television shows, and products - Wal-Mart, Charmin toilet paper, Lost, and E! True Hollywood Story.

In addition to dialog changes, other elements of the show were re-worked to facilitate the comedic script. The vocation of Momoko was changed from a psychic to that of a fanatical evangelical, Pentecostal Christian, Satsuki's mother is portrayed as a lesbian, and the Miyanoshita name changed to "Manshita" as a pun. Although, Leo's character is a researcher in the supernatural, in the dub he is also Jewish and has an inferiority complex and Satsuki's young brother Keiichirou is depicted as being mentally challenged. Several minor characters' backgrounds are expanded slightly (mostly for comedic purposes), as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom