• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: ZombiU

BizzyBum

I bought the Wii U at launch with ZombiU and never really played it despite its reputation for being a pretty underrated game. With Season 4 of The Walking Dead approaching I decided I should give it a shot.

I'm still not too far
(currently helping the Doc at the Royal Palace)
but I've played a total of about 5 hours. For starters, the graphics are acceptable to me. It's certainly nothing great but for a Wii U launch title it gets the job done and the lighting is excellent which I find important in games like these. GamePad implementation is also well done and shows how cool it could be if used right. Inventory management is key and I like how you can't carry 50 things and quick swap everything on the fly.

I do prefer slower-paced survival horror games like this as opposed to something like Left 4 Dead or Dead Rising, so I feel Ubisoft did a good job here. I love the fact that a single zombie doesn't pose much of a threat but you need to be careful and not have a group catch you or else you'll be wasting your ammo reserves to survive. I do wish there was some more stealth elements involved such as crouching, prone, peeking behind corners, possibly sneaking up behind a zombie and delivering a knife to the cranium. But this leads me to a big downside of the game
and you all know what I'm going to say.

COMBAT

It's depressingly atrocious. I honestly don't mind the gunplay so far. I've picked up and used a good assortment of guns so far and there's a very basic upgrade feature. My complaint is the melee combat. I'm not sure what Ubisoft was thinking. They give you an assortment of guns but only one melee weapon? Okay, whatever, I could overlook that if it was fun to use but every single encounter with a zombie is the same when using the cricket bat. Push away/overhead bash x4 (unless you encounter the armored ones) and then the same finishing move EVERY time. What a missed opportunity here because with more melee weapons, more animations, and more customization (not Dead Rising caliber, but something where it would actually be worthwhile to scavenge and make kick ass weapons) this game could have been really something special. I am sure Ubisoft would have addressed this if ZombiU 2 was greenlit but it looks like that's never going to happen.

So overall, it's a very good launch title for the Wii U that deserved more love and definitely deserves a proper sequel for Ubisoft to further tinker with the game, but the combat is so tedious I can see why it was not a big success.

Cutebrute

I loved the atmosphere, but the rather lame objectives were a downer, but the combat was so bad that I could not bring myself to get very far at all. The controls also felt awkward on the Gamepad. I preferred playing the survivor with the Wiimote in multiplayer.

Didn't mind the bat. Some touchpad activities could have been improved however, it's mostly just randomly tapping outside of the picklock.

MilkBeard

Really enjoyed this game. Got a huge rush out of playing it. It's pretty damned good for a rushed launch title. Too bad it sold poorly. No improved sequel. :(

I hate first person shooters, to me this is a really interesting game, the atmosphere, controls, tablet interaction, everything molds into what I would consider a strong "experience" turning of the aiming reticule added to that. The melee was perfect imo, it was slow and aggravating, hitting the first zombie like 6 times with a cricket bat was much more satisfying than the genres traditional one/2 hit melee autopilot imo. I really enjoyed my time with the game and it makes me excited for horror again, its still sloppy and rough at times but im glad it exists.

rawktapus

A lot of great ideas hampered by some glitches and lack of polish. A sequel could do some truly amazing things, but it probably won't happen, sadly.

69wpm

Bought my Wii U for this game and it was worth it. I loved ZombiU from start to finish, great atmosphere. But you will never really appreciate it until you barely survive a horde of zombies with no ammo left. Soo good.

The game isn't perfect of course, but to me it is one of the best you can play on Wii U at the moment.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
Agree with the combat. For the sequel, I'd like to see an improved melee weapons system.

jblank83

It's not the best game ever made, but what it is is a very interesting survival horror game, a very demanding, unforgiving "core" game, with some game mechanics which, when they come together, can produce some truly unique moments.

My hope is Ubisoft doesn't abandon ZombiU, and instead goes back to the drawing board. Fix what's broken and doesn't work, expand on what does, put in twice as much content, make the levels bigger and more organic, and improve the zombie AI. Because if they do, it could be brilliant.

MilkBeard

COMBAT

It's depressingly atrocious. I honestly don't mind the gunplay so far. I've picked up and used a good assortment of guns so far and there's a very basic upgrade feature. My complaint is the melee combat. I'm not sure what Ubisoft was thinking. They give you an assortment of guns but only one melee weapon? Okay, whatever, I could overlook that if it was fun to use but every single encounter with a zombie is the same when using the cricket bat. Push away/overhead bash x4 (unless you encounter the armored ones) and then the same finishing move EVERY time. What a missed opportunity here because with more melee weapons, more animations, and more customization (not Dead Rising caliber, but something where it would actually be worthwhile to scavenge and make kick ass weapons) this game could have been really something special. I am sure Ubisoft would have addressed this if ZombiU 2 was greenlit but it looks like that's never going to happen.

So overall, it's a very good launch title for the Wii U that deserved more love and definitely deserves a proper sequel for Ubisoft to further tinker with the game, but the combat is so tedious I can see why it was not a big success.

I personally don't feel the same way about the combat. I thought it was fine especially when balancing weapons and ammo. If you balance well then you don't have to use the cricket bat all the time. The point of the game was to not have other weapons to rely on and create scarcity. The cricket bat was meant to be tedious so that you would die if there was more than one zombie attacking you. I do think it could have been balanced a little bit better for more variety in the type of swing/how you can hit a zombie, but personally I had no qualms with it and felt it worked for what was intended.

It's possible in a future game that the cricket bat could be gimped even more, simply to make it an even more undesirable weapon in the face of a zombie. I think doing that would make the balance better if more melee weapons were to be added. There really is a lot of potential for what could be done for future sequels, it's just a shame that it won't happen.

My favorite survival horror game since Fatal Frame 2. The game has issues that stem from it needing to make launch, but the amount of tension and atmosphere and original ideas makes you forget all about them. I'm thinking of doing another run through for Halloween to get the good ending, it was a heck of a ride.

(full disclosure: I worked on Walking Dead)

I'd actually be curious about the opinions of folks who've played both ZombieU and Walking Dead: Survival Instinct (was kinda sad Patrick Klepek didn't do a review of it, since I know he loved ZombieU). They occupy a similar space in the sense of "zombie games that are more about survival rather than pure action", though obviously ours was much less polished and reviewed way worse, lol. We're not working on a sequel or anything, but it'd be interesting to hear just for my own personal curiosity!

Unai

Something that bothers me is that the save points are very far between, so I can just play the game if I know I have a good amount of time available.

(or is there some kind of auto-save erased at loading that I didn't noticied?)

Krakn3Dfx

Amazing launch game.
0414_shaunofthedead04.jpg

majik13

it was a very good game, especially for a system launch and being a new IP. Many AAA games have more issues on release than this game. Yeah it is a little rough in some spots, the touchscreen UI could have been better. I thought the combat felt great, just a bit repetitious. Atmosphere was top notch.

OP, have you tried the multiplayer? It is better than it should be.

Sakura

Game is just too dang scary for me. Couldn't play it for more than 30 minutes. It was nice to see a quality 3rd party launch title exclusive though.

iirc they commented on the melee combat in an interview last year stating that they had to stick with the cricket bat because they simply ran out of time if they wanted to get that game out the door for launch. For a game that went through multiple development phases (Killer Rabbids -> Killer Freaks -> ZombiU) I loved what the end result was. I can only imagine how the sequel would be with everything refined and full development time behind it. Hopefully someday we'll get to see it even if its canned for the time being.

dcx4610

Loved it. It felt unique which is hard to do these days and I thought the story with the Prepper was cool.

Good graphics for a launch title and genuine scares at times. The only thing I didn't like were the
ghost zombies. Unnecessary and too silly

I loved the idea having one life and respawning as a different person each time with the Prepper helping you. It actually made sense from a storyline perspective.

Alchemy

I won't say it was a bad game, just not what I wanted. I wanted something closer to a Zombie survival sim with a core plot for me to follow, and instead I got a highly scripted "make it hard and kill the player" game. I got annoyed when easily spotting triggers that cause zombies to spawn in very specific locations, or forced sequences that pushed the action. Zombies falling from the ceiling just so I had to fight stuff was pretty funny, and off putting.

For me, zombie survival works when combat is a punishment for fucking up. ZombiU forces the action. Not necessarily bad, just not my kind of game.

Ok, this is what happens when someone plays a game and doesn't understand what its playing exactly.
This game IS NOT A FIRST PERSON SHOOTER, and the cricket can't be complemented with better melee weapons because THIS GAME IS A FIRST PERSON SURVIVAL HORROR

The fighting system of this game is based on the frames each animation has (your hit animation, and the zombies animations when are hit by the bat) and it's gameplay mechanics revolves around CALCULATING the best option considering what you have, and not your abilities to fight against the zombies.

The cricket bat is the only melee weapon that has sense in this game, at least, if you want this same experience.

You don't like Survival Horror games, that's what happens. The melee system of the game is just fine for what it is, in fact, it can't be anything else unless you want a zombie shooter (and that's what you want judging what you say).

PD: In my opinion, and also as a Survival Horror fan, this game was my GOTY 2012 despite the numerous bugs it had when I played it (now most of them had been patched).

Ok, this is what happens when someone plays a game and doesn't understand what its playing exactly.
This game IS NOT A FIRST PERSON SHOOTER, and the cricket can't be complemented with better melee weapons because THIS GAME IS A FIRST PERSON SURVIVAL HORROR

The fighting system of this game is based on the frames each animation has (your hit animation, and the zombies animations when are hit by the bat) and it's gameplay mechanics revolves around CALCULATING the best option considering what you have, and not your abilities to fight against the zombies.

The cricket bat is the only melee weapon that has sense in this game, at least, if you want this same experience.

You don't like Survival Horror games, that's what happens. The melee system of the game is just fine for what it is, in fact, it can't be anything else unless you want a zombie shooter (and that's what you want judging what you say).

PD: In my opinion, and also as a Survival Horror fan, this game was my GOTY 2012, despite the numerous bugs it had when I played it (now most of them had been patched).

this. i had a great time with this game.
and love it, even though i wish there were different melee weapons to find.

Timeaisis

Very tense game. Definitely too hard for some. I know I never beat it...I got to the part where
you get kidnapped and have to fight in the arena
. That part was just way too difficult for me, and I didn't want to loose a character.

I want a sequel, though. Because it has a lot of potential. The gamepad had some great features, as well. And the fact that you have to look down to check your backpack was brilliant.

kunonabi

if you don't like the cricket bat don't use it as much. avoidance works well and using projectile weapons drops ammo on a kill. If youre accurate with your head shots you won't be too pressed for ammo.

Albo

I enjoyed the game. They really got the atmosphere right with the lighting, sounds and visuals.

At first I liked that the game had a different style of melee combat suited to this type of survival horror game, but it eventually got tedious having to hit so many zombies at least 5+ times each to kill them, watching the same animations over and over, and hearing those groans that sounded like orgasms.

Perhaps they could've allowed you to upgrade it's speed like with other weapons? If they weren't able to get that in the game before release, then they could've done so in the patch.

Very tense game. Definitely too hard for some. I know I never beat it...I got to the part where
. That part was just way too difficult for me, and I didn't want to loose a character.

I want a sequel, though. Because it has a lot of potential. The gamepad had some great features, as well. And the fact that you have to look down to check your backpack was brilliant.

that bit is so difficult, so frustrating, so annoying, but once you've done it man it feels good

Rizsparky

I'm currently playing it, is it me or are the controls really awkward? I feel like a robot even after messing around with the sensitivity.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own

PD: In my opinion, and also as a Survival Horror fan, this game was my GOTY 2012, despite the numerous bugs it had when I played it (now most of them had been patched).
Basically this.

MilkBeard

Pretty much what I was trying to say earlier. The nature of the combat is to force the scarcity of weapons and to make it harder to survive with multiple zombies. there could have been a few tweaks and balances, but I think a lot of people have this mentality where they want to have a lot of imaginary weapons to pull out of their pockets because they are used to the arcade action of typical first person shooters. ZombiU is a survival horror through and through. It's possible the game could have added other melee weapons but most likely they would be of the same value as a cricket bat and would need to be switched out with other weapons because of the restriction on what you can carry.

---

Honestly I'm still quite impressed that Ubisoft was able to make this original IP with new technology (the WiiU gamepad) in the short deadline and were able to make it for launch.

Oidisco

I'm replaying the game again and I love it so much. Easily my GOTY last year and the best Survival Horror in years. It has a tonne of flaws but none of them really ruined the experience for me.

A sequel would've been amazing, more Melee weapons and some randomly generated content (like random Zombie hoards, safe house assaults and new survivors starting in different locations) would do wonders for me.

Lettuce

I was hoping for a PS3 or 360 release. The real time crafting and ammo management could of been done just like it is in The Last Of Us, so wouldn't really need the Nintendo GamePad

Bingo! I loved this game!

I would give anything to get a proper sequel!

consoul

ZombiU delivered an excellent zombocalypse survival experience, but really fell apart in the endgame IMO. It was no doubt rushed for launch. I think the tail end of the game probably suffered because of that.

Still absolutely worth playing, and one of the best uses of the WiiU pad so far.

NFreak

I absolutely loved ZombiU. It was slow paced, atmospheric and posed a nice little challenge. I thought the cricket bat was satisfying but I do wish there were more options as well as customization options like you mentioned OP.

Don't forget to play the multiplayer as well! It may very well be the best use of the gamepad's asymmetric features that I have experienced with the console. Nobody talks about the multiplayer but it was one of my favorite parts of the game.

Mileena

Banned
Sequel?

I don't think you realize how much money Ubisoft lost on this game.

Yea really guys, you better get your fill out of this one because thats it. Shame too as it was the best launch game.

Just another good third party game that Nintendo fans ignored. This one was even EXCLUSIVE you bastards.

Nobody talks about the multiplayer but it was one of my favorite parts of the game.

Because it's one of the many Wii U exclusives that has multiplayer.... with no online multiplayer. Pointless bullshit.

Started this game up a little while back. I'm about where OP is and I have to say that this is the most legit survival horror experience I've... experienced in a long time. Every bullet counts, every encounter has to be approached with care because you never know what type of situation you'll be faced with and inventory space is limited. It's a tense experience and it's awesome.

The multiplayer is excellent too, I tried it out with my friends last weekend and we were hooked for a few good hours.

That's easily the toughest part of the game. You should grab a FAQ and muscle through it, you're pretty close to the end.

I was hoping for a PS3 or 360 release. The real time crafting and ammo management could of been done just like it is in The Last Of Us, so wouldn't really need the Nintendo GamePad

Except in TLoU you're looking at the screen the whole time, so it's not the same thing. Doesn't create the same kind of tension at all.

Top Bottom