• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: ZombiU

pvpness

Yea really guys, you better get your fill out of this one because thats it. Shame too as it was the best launch game.

Just another good third party game that Nintendo fans ignored. This one was even EXCLUSIVE you bastards.

Because it's one of the many Wii U exclusives that has multiplayer.... with no online multiplayer. Pointless bullshit.

Eh. Most gamers don't like (actual) survival horror. Tiny niche. It was caught in dev hell too. They had to know they weren't making money on it long before it released.

Great game though. Been a long time since I played a real survival horror. Some obvious flaws, and definitely rushed, but still one of the best launch games I've ever purchased.

I loved this game. Very tense and atmospheric. Even with its flaws is the best survival horror in years.
Well, truth be told, it's not a pure survival horror. I think that the "first person survival horror" label is the most appropriate, because it's not a shooter by any means (the primary objective it's not fight, but "calculate" like on traditional survival horror games) but it's too action focused to be considered a traditional survival horror.

It's a genre of its own.

TentPole

Well, truth be told, it's not a pure survival horror. I think that the "first person survival horror" label is the most appropriate, because it's not a shooter by any means (the primary objective it's not fight, but "calculate" like on traditional survival horror games) but it's too action focused to be considered a traditional survival horror.

It's a genre of its own.

I strongly disagree with your definition. This game is pure survival horror. The genre was never defined by enemy count.

Despite the game's title, I'm somewhat surprised that Ubisoft has not ported this to other consoles. Did Nintendo co-publish/sign an exclusive deal? Wasn't Rayman Legends meant to be Wii U only?

It's a genre of its own.

There are only 3 or so "action" bits in the game really where you're put in a action situation or have somewhat of an upperhand.

legacyzero

Banned
Despite the game's title, I'm somewhat surprised that Ubisoft has not ported this to other consoles. Did Nintendo co-publish/sign an exclusive deal? Wasn't Rayman Legends meant to be Wii U only?

This is my question. Ubisoft complains that the game didn't sell enough. I'm sure it would be worth changing the name of the game, and possibly bringing it to next gen consoles?

Why not just make a proper sequel then if they feel they'll get sales that route?

They've already stated that there won't be any sequels due to the low sales performance
SAWSE

I strongly disagree with your definition. This game is pure survival horror. The genre was never defined by enemy count.
Nobody talked about enemy count. The Survival Horror genre is a variation of the traditional adventure genre (monkey island, for example), and the enemies served a different purpose being part of a puzzle that consisted on pure inventory management. On the hardest levels of difficulty, in a true survival horror (RE:Remake for example) you had just enough ammo to kill a certain amount of enemies, and you had to decide which ones you would kill.

On ZombiU this situation can't be replicated exactly. It's a first person game in fact, so you can't have automated shooting systems that grant you 100% accuracy so you can plan exactly how much ammo you've got and how many enemies there still are.
In ZombiU you can perfectly miss a shot or two, in fact, your accuracy and ability to fight does matters to a certain degree, thus making it a different kind of game. Not a FPS, but not a pure Surival Horror.

Anyway, it's still the closest thing to a Survival Horror that has been released on those past years.

There are only 3 or so "action" bits in the game really where you're put in a action situation or have somewhat of an upperhand.
Being more action focused doesn't mean being a Call of Duty. Action focused means that the way you perform an action has an importance, the more importance it has, the more action focused it is.
On ZombiU you had the melee combat which was 0% action focused (you had to control the pace, but once you had it, you could kill any zombie without any fear of being hit), you could mathematically kill a zombie thanks to it, but the same can't be said when it comes to the non-melee weapons. That's what prevents it to be a pure survival horror.

kunonabi

Nobody talked about enemy count. The Survival Horror genre is a variation of the traditional adventure genre (monkey island, for example), and the enemies served a different purpose being part of a puzzle that consisted on pure inventory management. On the hardest levels of difficulty, in a true survival horror (RE:Remake for example) you had just enough ammo to kill a certain amount of enemies, and you had to decide which ones you would kill.

On ZombiU this situation can't be replicated exactly. It's a first person game in fact, so you can't have automated shooting systems that grant you 100% accuracy so you can plan exactly how much ammo you've got and how many enemies there still are.
In ZombiU you can perfectly miss a shot or two, in fact, your accuracy and ability to fight does matters to a certain degree, thus making it a different kind of game. Not a FPS, but not a pure Surival Horror.

Anyway, it's still the closest thing to a Survival Horror that has been released on those past years.

Being more action focused doesn't mean being a Call of Duty. Action focused means that the way you perform an action has an importance, the more importance it has, the more action focused it is.
On ZombiU you had the melee combat which was 0% action focused (you had to control the pace, but once you had it, you could kill any zombie without any fear of being hit), you could mathematically kill a zombie thanks to it, but the same can't be said when it comes to the non-melee weapons. That's what prevents it to be a pure survival horror.

so silent hill isn't a survival horror game then? you had to aim your shots there too. the only re game where ammo was scarce was the original. the follow ups drowned you in ammo even on the higher diffculty levels.

legacyzero

Banned
Enlighten us, how much?

Is that a serious question, though? Just look at the trouble the Wii U is having, and then think about how little it sold on the platform.

Who needs numbers at this point? It's a safe assumption if you ask me.

Zombie U not profitable, no sequels planned. Speaks for itself.

Quote:
Ubisoft CEO Yves Guillemot has revealed ZombiU made no money, the Wii U launch title failing to become "even close" to profitable. Despite rumors and teasing, it now appears no sequel is on the cards for the foreseeable future.

cacildo

why so many empty chests?

and empty drawers and empty... well, 80% of tge stuff you can search is empty

and also, theres quite a few repeated in-between areas. Same hole in the wall, different area

This game has topped REmake as the scariest game ever. That last run through Buckingham is fucking intense.

The melee combat is fine for the genre, since it's not supposed to serve as a replacement for firearms. That said, it would've been nicer if it could somehow identify when there's only one zombie and make it die sooner or something.

It's possible that they don't think it'd be worth the cost, given the genre's typical performance. Unfortunately, this game would be virtually unheard of if it weren't Wii U exclusive.

jblank83

Just another good third party game that Nintendo fans ignored. This one was even EXCLUSIVE you bastards.

It sold 500k. Considering the Wii U's install base at launch, that's impressive and as much as could be expected. In comparison, Pikmin 3 is about the same number. while NSMB is over 2 million (itself remarkable, selling to well over 50% of Wii U console owners).

One of the problems with Zombi U is that it underwent several major revisions. Originally it was not Zombies at all, it featured aliens, and the project was completely scrapped and restarted. Anytime you do that, you're incurring heavy costs.

legacyzero

Banned

and also, theres quite a few repeated in-between areas. Same hole in the wall, different area

Let's see YOU search a Zombie Apocalypse type location.

No pills to be found :(

hodgy100

Because it's survival horror and resources are scarce yet it is vital that you need to find resources, so ofcourse you will find useless stuff or empty containers.

Let's see YOU search a Zombie Apocalypse type location.

No pills to be found :(
image.php

Mileena

Banned
It sold 500k. Considering the Wii U's install base at launch, that's impressive and as much as could be expected. In comparison, Pikmin 3 is about the same number. while NSMB is over 2 million (itself remarkable, selling to well over 50% of Wii U console owners).

One of the problems with Zombi U is that it underwent several major revisions. Originally it was not Zombies at all, it featured aliens, and the project was completely scrapped and restarted. Anytime you do that, you're incurring heavy costs.

Where did you hear this 500k figure? It matches up quite well with a site I know makes up bullshit numbers.

Ammo is more restricted in this game than 90% of "classic" survival horror games. The need to actually aim your shots does not make it a different genre.

jblank83

Where did you hear this 500k figure? It matches up quite well with a site I know makes up bullshit numbers.

Ok, and there's the dev team's report that they have several hundred thousand player zombies on their servers:
http://www.gengame.net/2013/01/zombiu-death-toll-reaches-300-thousand-new-game-mode-coming/

That was in January. So unless they're counting several of each player's zombie, it's not far off.

Then there's an NPD comparison:
http://nintendoeverything.com/january-2013-npd-wii-u-software-rankings/

Sonic Racing did several hundred thousand, as well. ZombiU is about at Sonic Racing's ranking, however it did got a further sales boost after that by having a packin bundle in NA (similar to the EU launch bundle), for which I'm sure Ubisoft was compensated.

majik13

that bit is so difficult, so frustrating, so annoying, but once you've done it man it feels good

I beat it on my first play through, had no idea about it either. Was super intense.
Though, at the very end while in the room with the big drop down door and all the equipment. I prepped a Molotov to finish off the last few zombies behind the big pulldown, I opened the doors, threw the Molotov, but it caught the door frame I was standing in to the smaller room right off camera, and burned me alive. First time it was the games fault I died. The door frame wasn't in my FOV at all. I was so bummed, it was a long running survivor

their's a definite lack of polish to the game which suggests to me the budget of the zombi u portion of its development probably wasn't very high at all and (to me at least) it seems quite possible they will make a profit one of these days with sales over time, the protracted development over its 2 previous incarnations will probably never be paid back but I doubt ubi really expected that, the bizarrely poor reviews and very loud internet chatter over bugs (which I never saw any of and have eventually been patched) probably hurt sales a lot but the overwhelmingly positive word of mouth the game has should lead to new wii u owners being interested in picking it up

so silent hill isn't a survival horror game then? you had to aim your shots there too. the only re game where ammo was scarce was the original. the follow ups drowned you in ammo even on the higher diffculty levels.
Aiming in Silent Hill? Not at all. It was the same ultra-basic aiming of any RE game (no auto-aiming) and required about 0 ability to perform it.
Silent Hill are, like RE, surival horrors in some entries.

About what you say regarding ammo, you're confusing difficulty with gameplay mechanics. You can make a platformer game without as much jumps as a super mario, and it will still be a platformer game.

RE2, RE3 and RE:CV are all Survival Horrors.

Ammo is more restricted in this game than 90% of "classic" survival horror games. The need to actually aim your shots does not make it a different genre.
Of course it does. Even a difference in camera position is enough to make a different genre in some cases (Third Person Shooters vs First Person Shooters), the fact that playability revolves around combat in a higher degree makes ZombiU a game of its own and not a pure Surival Horror.

Darmik

Im hoping this game consistently sells over the next year or so. Hopefully Ubisoft might reconsider making a sequel to it if the Miiverse numbers are pretty high. Stranger things have happened.

I loved this game. Best use of the Gamepad so far. Putting it on the other consoles would severely restrict the tension of the experience. A sequel that worked out all of the niggles would be amazing.

Out of curiosity, does anyone know how well Condemned 1 sold during the Xbox 360 launch? It is probably the closest comparison you could get. Considering survival horrors are pretty niche to begin and that it was a launch title, you would think Ubisoft wouldn't expect a huge seller. It has pretty decent Miiverse numbers so I wonder how much it has sold and how much it is still selling. You would think that this sold pretty decent considering its circumstances but Ubisoft obviously have a different opinion.

majik13

Ok, and there's the dev team's report that they have several hundred thousand player zombies on their servers:

http://www.gengame.net/2013/01/zombiu-death-toll-reaches-300-thousand-new-game-mode-coming/

That was in January. So unless they're counting several of each player's zombie, it's not far off.

they would be though, they probably have every players multiple zombified survivors wouldn't they? even the link header says "death toll" And each player has died multiple times.

jblank83

they would be though, they probably have every players multiple survivors wouldn't they?

They don't clarify. However, as I edited in, Zombi U sold similarly to Sonic Racing, which did several hundred thousand, and then some due to a bundle deal.

Which leads one to believe that it did decent numbers, at least several hundred thousand.

majik13

They don't clarify. However, as I edited in, Zombi U sold similarly to Sonic Racing, which did several hundred thousand, and then some due to a bundle deal.

Which leads one to believe that it did decent numbers, at least several hundred thousand.

yeah I hope at least by now that they are at around that number. I think last I heard a few months back, from someone here on GAF who knows the official numbers, it still hadn't crossed 100k or 150k. Cant remember exactly.

kunonabi

Aiming in Silent Hill? Not at all. It was the same ultra-basic aiming of any RE game (no auto-aiming) and required about 0 ability to perform it.
Silent Hill are, like RE, surival horrors in some entries.

About what you say regarding ammo, you're confusing difficulty with gameplay mechanics. You can make a platformer game without as much jumps as a super mario, and it will still be a platformer game.

RE2, RE3 and RE:CV are all Survival Horrors.

accuracy was dependent on how long you locked onto an enemy before firing and you would still miss shots anyway. it might not have been skill based but it was there and it was not the exact same as RE. SH was always far more progressive in terms of combat than classic RE ever was.

you specifically said there was not enough ammo to kill everything in a proper survival horror game and that is just not too true in all instances and especially not in RE3.

jblank83

yeah I hope at least by now that they are at around that number. I think last I heard a few months back, from someone here on GAF who knows the official numbers, it still hadn't crossed 100k or 150k. Cant remember exactly.

Given Ubisoft won't produce the numbers, I don't think we can villify Wii U owners for not buying Zombi U. It was heavily promoted, it performed similarly to Sonic Racing at retail, whose numbers we do know, and got a sales boost due to its hardware bundles.

So while it might not have been profitable, I question whether that was solely due to low sales.

accuracy was dependent on how long you locked onto an enemy before firing and you would still miss shots anyway. it might not have been skill based but it was there and it was not the exact same as RE. SH was always far more progressive in terms of combat than classic RE ever was.

you specifically said there was not enough ammo to kill everything in a proper survival horror game and that is just not too true in all instances and especially not in RE3
On the highest level of difficulty, and this was to exemplify the fact that the game didn't revolve around how well you fought.
Yes, Silent Hill games are less Survival Horror than RE, the same way that Little Big Planet is much less of a platformer than New Super Mario Bros. But it's still a platformer. And Silent Hill it's still a Survival Horror in it's first 3 entries at least (I haven't beat SH4 to judge it, and Shattered memories and Homecoming weren't survival horror games either).

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
I thought it was great, one of the best launch titles ever. Exploring the environments was tense, the multiple survivor idea was neat, the 28 Days Later vibe was perfect and they used the gamepad screen well. The beeping of the radar and the way it picks up rats and birds as well as zombies was the icing on the cake. You couldn't relax at all.

A fleshed-out sequel would be amazing but that will never happen now.

majik13

Given Ubisoft won't produce the numbers, I don't think we can villify Wii U owners for not buying Zombi U. It was heavily promoted, it performed similarly to Sonic Racing at retail, whose numbers we do know, and got a sales boost due to its hardware bundles.

So while it might not have been profitable, I question whether that was solely due to low sales.

Yeah, I dont know how they are categorizing profitability, if they are taking into account all the cost of scraping of the previous game ideas. I think that is a little misleading.

Hopefully either Ubi or Nintendo step up and just makes a new one.

I am actually working at Ubi right now..I'll see what strings I can pull.
I have no strings.

One night before going home before work I saw a ZombiU folder on our server. Usually it is only up coming games in there, usually things that are released are removed. I didn't have time to check it, so I kept thinking all night, that there is possibly a new game. Came in in the morning and unsurprisingly it wasn't a new game. The folder is still there however. Wonder why?

jblank83

Yeah, I dont know how they are categorizing profitability, if they are taking into account all the cost of scraping of the previous game ideas. I think that is a little misleading...

I am actually working at Ubi right now..I'll see what strings I can pull.
I have no strings.

Keep your head down and don't lose your job. Cheers.

HarlockJC

Banned
Got this game coming in Friday, really looking forward to it. I can't help but wonder how long of legs it will have. If they really were already at 500k, I could see them get another 200k of sales out of the game. Heck there not much else to buy right now.

Of course it does. Even a difference in camera position is enough to make a different genre in some cases (Third Person Shooters vs First Person Shooters), the fact that playability revolves around combat in a higher degree makes ZombiU a game of its own and not a pure Surival Horror.

No, think about this. If you took Gears of War and gave it fixed camera angles, would it become survival horror? Is Fatal Frame survival horror, or is it its own thing too?

Jopie

I bought a wiiu for this game, and absolutely love it. One of the few games that makes me feel anxious when I play, knowing that one wrong move will mean disaster. The feeling of making it through an area that had multiple zombies in it is unrivaled,

it was the 150k line it hadn't crossed cant remember exactly how long ago that was although that is usa only and doesn't include the bundle that got released in feb or digital

ErichWK

I wanted to beat the game but got to the preschool and had the game breaking glitch where the door out of the basement won't open...sigh. I was having a lot of fun with it, too

majik13

I wanted to beat the game but got to the preschool and had the game breaking glitch where the door out of the basement won't open...sigh. I was having a lot of fun with it, too

I believe that is all patched now. I would imagine that it should fix your game.

kunonabi

On the highest level of difficulty, and this was to exemplify the fact that the game didn't revolve around how well you fought.
Yes, Silent Hill games are less Survival Horror than RE, the same way that Little Big Planet is much less of a platformer than New Super Mario Bros. But it's still a platformer. And Silent Hill it's still a Survival Horror in it's first 3 entries at least (I haven't beat SH4 to judge it, and Shattered memories and Homecoming weren't survival horror games either).

even on the highest difficulty settings there is enough ammo to kill everything in quite a few survival horror games including RE. If Silent Hill is a lesser Survival Horror title by your criteria than so should Zombiu. It shouldn't be spun off into some subset. Hell, the Silent Hill rankings asked you to kill things for higher ranks. Zombiu doesn't and has less forced encounters than quite a few other survival horror games.

Top Bottom