• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil's Third lives!

Mdk7

Disclaimer: take this whole thing with a grain of salt; i was personally told all this stuff by a respectful source (keep on reading...), yet of course i cannot guarantee you this is the real truth. But to me it's waaaay more than a believable rumor.

So, long story short: i am and i've always been a die-hard third person action fan, and of course Tomonobu Itagaki holds a special place in my heart.
I loved his work with the Ninja Gaiden saga, and was really interested in Devil's Third (despite not being completely sold on the look and the art direction of the project!), so just like you guys i was truly disappointed to see the project going off the radar into that sad sort of limbo, even more after the bad destiny of THQ.

Last August i was at Gamescom (i work as editor for IGN Italy), and i was attending a behind closed doors meeting for Ryse: Son of Rome. Two devs from Crytek were showing me the game, with particular attention to the combat: they knew they did a shitty E3 reveal, and they wanted to actually prove that the product won't be the embarassing QTE galore people rightfully thought it would be.

The atmosphere is very relaxed, the guys are super kind and easy going, and we just talk about their game and the whole action panorama. At one point i start bashing Ninja Gaiden III, telling them how it offended me as a fan and how that trainwreck would have never ever happened under Itagaki's direction. I add that the whole situation of Valhalla Games Studios deeply saddens me, since i do miss Itagaki and his games. They pretty much say the same thing, they agree with me on NGIII as gamers, and we move on with the presentation.

After the preview is over, one of the two guys comes to me, and surprisingly starts to spill the beans due to the enthusiasm he saw in me when talking about Itagaki.
He tells me he has worked at THQ in the past, and that he was involved with Devil's Third on a pretty high level - he did tell me his role, but i forgot... sorry! It was something dealing with quality control, assistant Producer or stuff like that. :p

Anyway, the guy described me his whole experience with Itagaki, and was sooo passionate about that: he told me how Itagaki and his crew very VERY cold towards him at first (they were basically seeing him as a gaijin), and how things changed when he forced his translator to translate a few of his comments in Japanese with swear words and a sort of "fuck it" attitude.
That moment things changed, and they did accept him as a part of them (Itagaki even gave him a limited edition Zippo with the Valhalla Logo, claiming that he would have killed him with his own hands if he had ever found that item on sale on eBay, LOL!).

He said that Itagaki is basically a genius - not that i had any doubt :D - and he claimed that the guys around him (most of them people that left Team Ninja along with Tomonobu) really saw him as a true leader: they were ready to do whatever he said, and completely trusted his experience and his vision.

Regarding the game, one thing that really struck me was something he said about the art direction of Devil's Third: that's among the aspects i care the most in a videogame, and he said that when he entered the room the first time, the team had this huge wall full of concept arts, sketches, pics and whatever... but they were so random they made no sense.
He said there were crazy manga-style drawings, paintings similar to those you can find on ancient Greek pottery, the portrait of a dark cyber-old man, over the top characters taken from comics, reinassance paintings... Very diffente styles, that apparently had no coherence whatsoever as an ensemble.

So he asked what was the point of all that, why inspirations and concepts were so distant from one another (to his eyes there was no clear direction in what the team had come up with), and Itagaki basically answered "To us, it just makes sense. That's what matters, it's gonna be cool", and left him like that, without even adding a single word on that topic.

Anyway, he told me that the production was around 30% when shit got bad and the development met a sudden stop (way before THQ started going into shit, at least from a public POV). After a while they stopped receiving funds, and were eventually forced to pause the development.
But the Ninjas had faith in their leader, and Itagaki was motivated as hell to go on: so he went to THQ and asked the company to buy back his own IP.

At this point, the guy did not enter into details, but he basically said that the THQ guys behaved like true assholes, showing no respect at all towards Itagaki: they accepted to sell him the IP, but for a crazy high price. And Valhalla eventually did buy it, but not at an easy cost: Itagaki and his most trusted colleagues mortgaged their houses and personal belongings to get what they wanted.

Of course despite getting back their creature things were not going that great without a publisher, so the development went on veeery slowly for long. Yet, after a long search, a publisher was found: the guy did not know who (he said he wasn't told, despite still being in contact with his friends and ex colleagues), and at that point i made a joke about Nintendo being behind all this, to get some more hardcore love after their special relationship with Platinum.
He replied it would be quite an impossible scenario, since the game has always been very focused on graphics and performance (so at this point i assume it's safe to think Devil's Third is now a nextgen affair).

Our discussion endend after he added two more things:
1) not only the project is still alive, but Devil's Third is still meant to be a cross media property, with more than just a game in development. There will apparently be comics, dedicated apps, movies and whatever, and the guy said that Danny Bilson (former THQ frontman, the person that basically brought Itagaki inside the company and blindly believed in DT) is 100% still on board, specifically dedicated to these aspects thanks to his connections with the entertainment industry and his expertise.
2) last time he had heard about the game was two weeks before our meeting (so at the end of July): he said he talked to one of the devs who assured him things were going fine, and that Valhalla was just waiting for the right time to basically re-announce the game.

Of course this basically made my Gamescom, and pardon me if i forgot to share it before with you guys (but i did tell our Italian readers the day this happened during our live show, since i was SO pumped, LOL!). Oh and in case you ask, i am not being a dick towards the Crytek guy: after our chat i told him something along the lines of "thank you, you just made my day but i promise i will keep this to myself", but he told me i could go on and tell everyone i pleased, since it wasn't some sort of super secret nor a bad news.

-----

Tl;dr According to one of the devs of Ryse i met in Cologne during Gamescom, Devil's Third went through serious shit but it's still alive and kicking, with the IP in the hands of Itagaki and a brand new publisher behind the project.

DC R1D3R

Banned
Itagaki_Thumbs_Up_MNT.jpg

Was there ever any doubt?

Xater

Was the IP really so important that they needed it? I am sure they could have just called it something else. Or did THQ also own all the assets?

Mdk7

Was the IP really so important that they needed it? I am sure they could have just called it something else. Or did THQ also own all the assets?

That's exactly what i asked him.
And he said that they wanted the name and everything, since THQ probably owned all the materials they had created.
Plus knowing a bit Itagaki, pride could be involved. :D

Mdk7

Thanks for posting OP. I'm Still hoping out hope over here!

Oh you welcome, as i wrote i should have done it before.

And pardon if there are mistakes: of course English is not my main language and i'm tired as fuck after a looong day at work. :p

bah. Half of this was already known. I wish I still had faith, but until I see a little hint its still in production from a publisher, I still think its dead.

Id fund the shit out of a kickstarter though and *gulp*
Ill buy a xbox one if devils third is the same caliber as NGB

2San

I want to believe. This sounds like a labor of love.
Same, while the game looked somewhat meh visually. It could have awesome gameplay in a Gunz kind of way. Ninja Gaiden is dead, but I want something to rise from it's ashes.
That's exactly what i asked him.
And he said that they wanted the name and everything, since THQ probably owned all the materials they had created.
Plus knowing a bit Itagaki, pride could be involved. :D
Kinda sad though, if he waited it out, he could have had it for peanuts.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
After what he did with DOA4 and NG2 I dont know why so much people hold him on a pedestal still. Sure he made some great games but not everything he did was golden.

Man I was just thinking of starting a thread about Itagaki & asking gafers who might be in the know about the Devil's Third soo HYPE HYPE HYYPPPEEEEEE!!!! Itagaki cannot get enough love, Ninja Gaiden Black is still the best 3D Action game of all time (and this comes from a huuggeee Bayonetta fan)

After what he did with DOA4 and NG2 I dont know why so much people hold him on a pedestal still. Sure he made some great games but not everything he did was golden.

NG2 is one of the best action games this generation. It was clearly rushed, if it was given the same amount of time in the oven as NGB it would be its perfect counter-point. Defence (NGB) vs Offense (NG2)

As for DOA4 for a Launch window title, it still holds up extremely well both in looks and gameplay.

Thank god this still exists. Itagaki is one of the few people in this industry that I still hold in high regard. He doesn't give a fuck about Cinematic Experiences or making Video Games respected as art, he just makes games with awesome gameplay because that's what he wants to do. If more people thought like him this whole industry wouldn't be in such a shithole.

TreIII

Very true. But on the other hand, it's kind of what you get with Itagaki, by nature of his whole "gambling" thing. Sometimes you get greatness (NGB, DOA3.1, pre-release DOA4), sometimes you get iffy at best.

But that aside, it just hasn't been the same with him being so ghost, and we need as many personalities like him and Kamiya in this industry as we can get. And if Devil's Third turns out to be a quality action game, I'll be there.

Enk

makes good threads.
...as a mobile game!!!

Is it sad that's what I now always expect when coming into these type of threads. :,-(

Glad to see that isn't the case here.... so far....

Top Bottom