• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil's Third lives!

chang_spits_milk.gif

BWAAA! Joke post?

Outside of NG:B he's a joke. NG2 was trash compared to NG:B in MANY areas; The fact you have NG:B as your avatar and no NG2 that you're trying to big up only furthers that point. Even you don't want to rep it that hard. Itagaki absolutely knows shit about fighting game balance (this is the guy who said the ninjas should be stronger because they're ninjas....wtf). DOA3.1 proved that his team was better off without his input when it comes to fighting games, and then introduced DOA4 which was a stepback in many respects to DOA3.1. His volleyball games? No one fucks with those aside from dudes too scared to talk to women so they play with their e-waifu on the beach, and even then the second sucked so much ass dudes couldn't even fap to it.

Itagaki is that highschool football player who had one amazing year and his fans keep reliving that year over and over and over again.

Nothing to this day comes close to NG2 intense combat.

I am please by this news. Thank you, Mdk7.

Damn straight. Yeah it had camera issues and those Rocket snipers were awful, but it's still my favourite hack'em up this gen, just as NG:B was for the previous. Just feels so good once you've mastered the moves.

DC R1D3R

Banned
Outside of NG:B he's a joke. NG2 was trash compared to NG:B in MANY areas; The fact you have NG:B as your avatar and no NG2 that you're trying to big up only furthers that point. Even you don't want to rep it that hard. Itagaki absolutely knows shit about fighting game balance (this is the guy who said the ninjas should be stronger because they're ninjas....wtf). DOA3.1 proved that his team was better off without his input when it comes to fighting games, and then introduced DOA4 which was a stepback in many respects to DOA3.1. His volleyball games? No one fucks with those aside from dudes too scared to talk to women so they play with their e-waifu on the beach, and even then the second sucked so much ass dudes couldn't even fap to it.

Itagaki is that highschool football player who had one amazing year and his fans keep reliving that year over and over and over again.

Some of your points are valid: Yes NG Black is perfection. NG2 wasn't balanced at all. And yet still remains the most brutal 3D action game on this earth! All other action games feel like super mario world in comparison!

All your other points are blasphemous! And you should be burnt at the stake for such sacrilegious language!

BURN HIM!!!!!!!!!!!!

NG2 was like 9 months of dev time away from timeless classic, but their publisher wanted something out that quarter.

That's my armchair analysis.

AAK

Do you know what's the only difference between the credits of NG:B and NG?

In NG:B Hayashi was promoted to the project lead.....

PSGames

NG2 was like 9 months of dev time away from timeless classic, but their publisher wanted something out that quarter.

Not only that but Itagaki was owed bonuses for DOA4's performance which he never received and was ready to leave the company.

Do you know what's the only difference between the credits of NG:B and NG?

In NG:B Hayashi was promoted to the project lead.....

We all got to see what NG would be like with Hayashi in charge and it wasn't pretty.

I think Bayonetta is great, however Ninja Gaiden 2 is a different type of action game. It's more focused on killing a larger amount of enemies with a few hits. Even when fighting fewer but stronger mobs it's more about getting a hit or few hits in before avoiding. While Bayonetta is based around long combo's and being stylish. The feedback is also lacking in Bayonetta. A good hit in Ninja Gaiden 2 meant limbs flying, it felt really good. In Bayonetta you could get away with learning a few effective combo's, while NG2 forced you to switch up your style from time to time.

There is still a hole left by Ninja Gaiden. Bayontta was a great replacement for DMC.

You can argue that NG2 also allowed you to stick to one weapon/moveset. Hell to platinum/1000 it you have to.

Likewise yes you can beat bayo with only a few moves, but why the hell would you want to?

As for feedback, your combo/wicked weaves and overall domination is your feedback.

Still different strokes for folks and all that.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Game will be wack as hell anyway. Itagaki is so overrated. Dude is like the Baja Men of game designers.

NGB is still the best game in the action genre (with the best combat system in the genre as well) and no other action game director come close to touch him or NGB.

I'm glad the game's still alive, but I'll be really surprised if it does well enough to justify the huge risk Itagaki & his team are taking on it. I don't think a game like that can be particularly successful in today's market, especially if it's a new IP.

ps. Ninja Gaiden II is still better than any other action game, 2D or 3D.( ̄ー ̄)

Skilletor

I said this same thing some time ago. People laughed at me.

You have my sword.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Outside of NG:B he's a joke. NG2 was trash compared to NG:B in MANY areas; The fact you have NG:B as your avatar and no NG2 that you're trying to big up only furthers that point. Even you don't want to rep it that hard.

I love how people bring this up. NGB is a top 10 game. Most all games are trash in comparison. NG 2 has godlike combat though. The DoA series has always been at least very fun and technically great.

faridmon

After what he did with DOA4 and NG2 I dont know why so much people hold him on a pedestal still. Sure he made some great games but not everything he did was golden.

NG2, even with its problem, was better game than most of the action games released since then. Perfect action game that was saddled with technical problems, it was and it was rushed.

I really hope he comes beck with a bang. Its been far too long without him in the industry :(

kick51

Banned
always people trying to piss on Itagaki's legacy. See how many of them cite his "attitude" in interviews...its pathetic

That and other things. After the game came out and shit hit the fan with Itagaki and Tecmo, it was perfectly clear what went wrong with the game. The bonuses and harassment suit, his own lawsuit against tecmo iirc and finally tecmo got absorbed into koei because they had nothing left

They fucked him around pretty hard for a guy who saved the company singlehandedly. His whole team going with him speaks volumes about the situation, imo

Ninja Gaiden 2 is kiiiiinda trash, especially after NGB, and DoA4 was just bad.

However, I'm still interested in playing this game...if it exists...if its ever coming out...if we ever see another gameplay video that is

Itagaki pls

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
NGB is beyond overrated on here. (and seemingly only on here. Never seen so many people talk the game up so much any place else)

but I like Itagaki well enough. I like his ideas and design philosophies more than I like playing his games. I can see why he'd have alot of faith put in him as a leader.

Devil's Third interests me a whole lot more than another Ninja Gaiden would, so I hope it works out for him and his team. I'd love to play it. Seems like that TPS with a melee aspect that people wanted Vanquish to be.

At this point, the guy did not enter into details, but he basically said that the THQ guys behaved like true assholes, showing no respect at all towards Itagaki: they accepted to sell him the IP, but for a crazy high price. And Valhalla eventually did buy it, but not at an easy cost: Itagaki and his most trusted colleagues mortgaged their houses and personal belongings to get what they wanted.

That's pretty shitty if true. They got hustled by a dying company...

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Please don't be exclusive to any platform.

Sure. but if exclusivity is what can save the project (think of Bayo 2) if a deal with a platform holder is the only way for Itagaki to have his complete vision, enough money for this and not rushing it then exclusivity is a better option than absolutely nothing.

Sentenza

Sure. but if exclusivity is what can save the project (think of Bayo 2) if a deal with a platform holder is the only way for Itagaki to have his complete vision, enough money for this and not rushing it then exclusivity is a better option than absolutely nothing.
I'm not sure why a lot people on this forum seem to think that when you need funds and financial backing exclusivity is necessarily the right answer.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
If Itagaki mortgaged his house over this, he's got SERIOUS faith in the IP. Which is good, but also a bad thing because if the thing bombs... hoo-boy...

Angelus Errare is so salty over Itagaki.

I hope this turns out to be true. NGB and NGII are two of the greatest action games of all time. While I prefer NBG as the total package, the evolution of the combat engine in NGII was amazing; I only wish that the game could have been polished before it was released.

Holy shit YES!!!!

I hope this is legit (no reason to doubt you OP)....can't wait to see what Itakagi has been working on. NG:B was perfection, if The Devil's Third manages to capture even half of that perfection (namely balance), we're in for an amazing action game.

Angelus, why you got to come into this thread and show your ass?

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Compared to what, exactly?

Every other game in the genre I guess

I love what Itagaki did with the Hurricane Packs and the Master Ninja tournaments and how all of that was incorporated into the development of Black. That kind of post release support for a single player action game was tremendous, and will probably never be seen again.

but in no way is the game perfect.(Karma and combo systems are complete trash) Especially when you consider all the above mentioned factors that played out in its development. NGB was the product of testing the game in a highly competitive setting among live players, a luxury most action games never have. and it still had problems.

Game is fun no doubt, but goddamn the way people talk about this particular version of it(to the point of shitting on other versions of THE SAME DAMN GAME) you'd think it was their religion.

goldenpp72

Every other game in the genre I guess

I love what Itagaki did with the Hurricane Packs and the Master Ninja tournaments and how all of that was incorporated into the development of Black. That kind of post release support of a single player action game was tremendous, and will probably never be seen again.

but in no way is the game perfect.(Karma and combo systems are complete trash) Especially when you consider all the above mentioned factors that played out in its development. NGB was the product of testing the game in a highly competitive setting among live players, a luxury most action games never have. and it still had problems.

Game is fun no doubt, but goddamn the way people talk about this particular version of it you'd think it was their religion.

Ninja gaiden black is my favorite game of that generation, and this coming from someone who owns maybe 500 game from that era. Best action game of all time next to Bayonetta in my mind.

goldenpp72

Didn't have to quote me to say that

It wasn't anywhere close to being one of my favorite games of that era and I didn't play anywhere near that many I don't think

It is alot of fun though and again I love what Itagaki tried to do with the game.

I did because you seem to be implying that thinking it's gods gift to gaming is somehow an invalid opinion. Opinions exist, but I really can't take people who don't see the masterful design of that game seriously. It's like darksiders fans saying Zelda isn't all that special. Games like Re4 and Black are basically still the top of their class today.

The Karma system was great; you are never going to please everyone, but it was implemented very well for those that wanted to focus on that system from a competitive angle.

Also, NG was never about combos like say DMC was, so I'm curious to know what your criticism of that was.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
I did because you seem to be implying that thinking it's gods gift to gaming is somehow an invalid opinion. Opinions exist, but I really can't take people who don't see the masterful design of that game seriously. It's like darksiders fans saying Zelda isn't all that special. Games like Re4 and Black are basically still the top of their class today.

I'm just commenting on that I've just never seen such fanaticism for the game anywhere else. To the point where people feel the need to shout from the mountain tops every thread about how much better it is than every other game and why people should play it over the "garbage" ports.

Never seen any other game put up on this pedestal as being perfect and flawless.(especially in the face of glaring flaws) Never seen that mentality so commonly exhibited by fans of similar games. and for this game I've never seen it anyplace other than gaf.

Not implying that such an opinion is invalid so much as I'm implying that it's weird as fuck to me and I don't get it.

Top Bottom