• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Path of Exile |OT| Loot 3.0

I am still playing this game this season, just found this sweet ring (added 1 exalted to it)

Ring6.png

28% Cold Resistance
---------------------------
Add 2-4 Phys Dmg
+79 Max Life
26% Rarity
44% Fire Resistance
36% Lightning Resistance

Corsick

Back again with a new build as I wanted to try playing on ambush league. It's a CoC barrage/EK build. Here is what I found, although I did want to try a flicker strike build but the desync for me is too frustrating to add more on top of. Right now I'm struggling to find the appropriate skills I need (CoC/blood magic/all the auras) to make it work, but I'm only level 35 right now. The lull before 60 or so when the build comes together is pretty tough to get through for me, but I want to see it through. I'm not sure how high up there it is in terms of power. I just wanted something decent and fun at endgame that could clear quickly.

Desync never getting fixed and some of the invasion bosses have kept me from playing. I only play on hardcore though so that might be the problem.

I have no problem if I die because it is my fault.

Desync never getting fixed and some of the invasion bosses have kept me from playing. I only play on hardcore though so that might be the problem.

I can't play hardcore i keep dying in normcore because I am running away and then teleport back to the middle of a pack and die....is that "desync" or is my game broken

Zynx

Did almost everyone on gaf stop playing the game? The thread's super quiet and so is the guild - hardly see anyone online nowadays.

Anyways, I'm liking how my second real character is coming along, spectral throw with auras (and zombies) but trying to find gear upgrades on the market is so expensive. Trying to find a better dagger is pretty tough: I guess there's some popular builds out there using attack speed/crit daggers now even if I don't care for damage on the weapon, and in addition, trying to find even slightly better defensive equipment than the stuff I bought for 1-2c costs like 5-10 times as much, at least.

Rufus

I can only speak for myself, but having played the game a LOT already, Invasion burst damage bosses (although greatly defused in recent patches) giving me sweaty palms, having three characters die in their 40-50ies and more at lower levels - it just makes me want to reduce my backlog instead.
I still play, but much less and if my current character dies (crit trapper) I'll be taking a break until the next league.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.

I can't play Hardcore in Diablo or it's clones. It's simply a fools errand with the netcode/desync issues in the genre.

I've been meaning to come back and finish Act 3/unlock the Scion but the party menu not showing me what quests are active/what the party is doing really killed it for me. I got tired of having to find games with what I wanted in Diablo 2. PoE didn't really fix that issue. :/

Kammie

I've been meaning to come back and finish Act 3/unlock the Scion but the party menu not showing me what quests are active/what the party is doing really killed it for me. I got tired of having to find games with what I wanted in Diablo 2. PoE didn't really fix that issue. :/
Make your own party. "Starting Dominus." Problem solved.

spirity

I am still playing this game this season, just found this sweet ring (added 1 exalted to it)

Ring6.png

28% Cold Resistance
---------------------------
Add 2-4 Phys Dmg
+79 Max Life
26% Rarity
44% Fire Resistance
36% Lightning Resistance

Did anyone else try hovering their mouse pointer over that ring?

dont lie

Zynx

Yeah, I tried mousing over the ring too, haha.

Dilemma now. Even though I don't usually like to jump on what's popular, I'm really considering making a righteous fire character next. So far I've really liked my second character a lot more than my first, but my new build is still pretty squishy. But with RF, when you build life, you also get more damage, so there's no conflict between trying to get more damage and more survivability, you can get both at the same time, and the damage ain't half bad with redbeak snapshotting and the like.

But, if I go and buy a rise of the phoenix, I'll have hardly any currency to improve my current character, and I want to see if I can hit 10k tooltip dps on my spectral throw which was my original goal for this character.

KKRT00

Yeah, I tried mousing over the ring too, haha.

Dilemma now. Even though I don't usually like to jump on what's popular, I'm really considering making a righteous fire character next. So far I've really liked my second character a lot more than my first, but my new build is still pretty squishy. But with RF, when you build life, you also get more damage, so there's no conflict between trying to get more damage and more survivability, you can get both at the same time, and the damage ain't half bad with redbeak snapshotting and the like.

But, if I go and buy a rise of the phoenix, I'll have hardly any currency to improve my current character, and I want to see if I can hit 10k tooltip dps on my spectral throw which was my original goal for this character.
RF is a blast to play so go for it. I know its popular and OP, but i dont feel bad about my build, because i had RF character when RF sucked ass, so i'm not a copy cat :p

V_Arnold

I lent a 6s5l chest with highend life+resists (ES/Evasion) to someone in the guild.
You know who you are! :D Can I get it back now? It is about time I build myself a trapper.

(Edit: Checked it, name is Double-eh!)

I lent a 6s5l chest with highend life+resists (ES/Evasion) to someone in the guild.
You know who you are! :D Can I get it back now? It is about time I build myself a trapper.

(Edit: Checked it, name is Double-eh!)

So how do trappers work? I can't wrap my head around what a person playing as a trapper does. Do you run around in circles, laying traps around you and laugh out loud hysterically as mobs walk into them?

Which keystones/skills do you take? What's your approach?

V_Arnold

So how do trappers work? I can't wrap my head around what a person playing as a trapper does. Do you run around in circles, laying traps around you and laugh out loud hysterically as mobs walk into them?

Which keystones/skills do you take? What's your approach?

Trappers work with the Sunblast belt that make your traps explode "instantly".
You have 3 sets of traps, basically, or 4, depending on the variation:

a. Your CC: trap-multiple traps-cold snap-elemental proliferation
b. Your aoe damage: Fire Trap-increased burning damage, I guess, do not remember.
c. Your main single target spell: Bear trap, quality culling strike for +damage, etc.
d. Ethereal knives, either as a multitrap, or manual cast, or cast on crit, depending on what you do.

Arctic Armor is usually a staple, with insanely high mana pools (achieved via Eldritch Battery+evasion/mana chests, for example), and you pretty much three-shot bosses with the high level bear traps, kill all groups almost instantly via fire traps/ethereal knives, and are never in real danger thanks to traps overwriting your cold snap's cooldown period.

There are some very small time periods when you cant do anything, but those do not ever last more than a few seconds, and are presented mostly at high health bosses and/or exiles. You run around then, yes, but that is like....2% of the gameplay.

Kammie

So I 5 linked my carcass jack in about 30 fusings a month ago.

Thought I'd try and 6link with 200 or so fusings.

I am an idiot.
You tried to link over you 5L?

If so, never do it. I did it with my Lioneye's, and after a huge amount of fusings had one left, used it... and got a 5L again. It was like Chris Wilson himself forgave me and said, "Never do it again, child." I learned my lesson!

Best thing anyone can do is buy a spare and fuse till 5L, then sell, and keep repeating until you get a 6L. Though in the end it's probably statistically cheaper to just farm a boss for alts and buy a 6L directly.

Zeth

You tried to link over you 5L?

If so, never do it. I did it with my Lioneye's, and after a huge amount of fusings had one left, used it... and got a 5L again. It was like Chris Wilson himself forgave me and said, "Never do it again, child." I learned my lesson!

Best thing anyone can do is buy a spare and fuse till 5L, then sell, and keep repeating until you get a 6L. Though in the end it's probably statistically cheaper to just farm a boss for alts and buy a 6L directly.

Indeed. I had bought a second Lioneye's to 6L and eventually got it. Lost both of them to softcore soon after. I need to come back to this game. Though I don't think I have the time to do HC anymore.

Zynx

Welp, the same feeling of burnout that seems to have hit the guild and GAFfers in this game has spread to moi, but there's a more entertaining way to play. Solo'ing maps is kinda repetitive, while doing it in large groups is pretty boring since you don't necessarily do that much. But mapping in a group of 2/3 is pretty fun - more interesting than solo, yet you still have to play the game.

I'm probably done with the game after my second character. I had some other build ideas I wanted to try out, but I don't feel it's worth the dozen or so hours to level a new character to try them.

Btw, I've seen some players offering "crafting bases" - high white ilvl items for 1c or so. Do these things sell? Since I've been doing a few level 77-78 maps I was wondering if I should start picking stuff like this up.

Kammie

I'm still enjoying the game. Tried RoS, disliked it (really can't deal with playing a character that wasn't built by me, like in PoE... it's just way too cookiecutter), went back to this.

The developers seem to have been listening a lot to feedback, they know they screwed up with all the RNG and one-shots introduced by the expansion. The playerbase two months into the new league has dwindled to what it was at the fourth month of the last one. So the game is in an interesting spot right now, it seems they're starting to compromise and let up on the senseless grind a bit. They've also been making changes to make the first playthrough friendlier to newbies, so they know that retention is the biggest issue they're facing.

Next expansion will apparently make it easier to work towards 6-links, but no details have been divulged aside from that. It's the one thing I really wish they would just put in ASAP. I really can't do anything on my main but acquire two 6Ls and level now, as everything else gear-wise is just perfect.

Corsick

I'm still enjoying the game. Tried RoS, disliked it (really can't deal with playing a character that wasn't built by me, like in PoE... it's just way too cookiecutter), went back to this.

The developers seem to have been listening a lot to feedback, they know they screwed up with all the RNG and one-shots introduced by the expansion. The playerbase two months into the new league has dwindled to what it was at the fourth month of the last one. So the game is in an interesting spot right now, it seems they're starting to compromise and let up on the senseless grind a bit. They've also been making changes to make the first playthrough friendlier to newbies, so they know that retention is the biggest issue they're facing.

Next expansion will apparently make it easier to work towards 6-links, but no details have been divulged aside from that. It's the one thing I really wish they would just put in ASAP. I really can't do anything on my main but acquire two 6Ls and level now, as everything else gear-wise is just perfect.

Is desync the elephant in the room still or has GGG flat out refused to try and remove it? I would like some clarity on it as it is by far the biggest detractor to the game with the slow rate of progression being second. Doesn't it have to do with their anti cheat solutions and how it affects the client and server communicating with each other?

V_Arnold

Is desync the elephant in the room still or has GGG flat out refused to try and remove it? I would like some clarity on it as it is by far the biggest detractor to the game with the slow rate of progression being second. Doesn't it have to do with their anti cheat solutions and how it affects the client and server communicating with each other?

This is a can of worms waiting to be opened. By now, even the most adamant POE-fans have to admit that there ARE better solutions to online combat than POE's desynch-inviting one. I am sure GGG knows it all too well, yet, judging how weird their stance was on snapshotting (another technically challenging thing to change/fix based on how they operate NOW), it would take a miracle for their programmers to get out of the "it is impossible to fix" mindset and at least *consider* looking at how D3/Marvel Heroes/any other high precision ARPG (yeah, I can see those fingers snapping, ready to lash out on D3, but stop. Marvel does it better as well!) does it, and try to implement something similar.

I do not feel much desynch now. Except when I am opening strongboxes. Otherwise, I play a slow templar with Searing bond, not leapslamming, not rushing with 60-70% MS, just running at a medium pace. That does not anger the desynch gods too much - yet. :D

KKRT00

Please stop, D3 is not high precision, its opposite to high precision in almost every system they implemented actually.
I have not played Marvel yet, so cant really talk about it.

There is a reason why stuns in D3 last for 5-6 seconds and why they are quite rare on npcs attacks other than champions.
They have better collision algorithm in D3, i can give them that.

PoE could handle sync better, probably much better, but D3 is not good counter-example.

V_Arnold

Stop it, please. Play ROS, come back. Open your eyes. There are stuns that last for half seconds. D3 is good counterexample. You could make a mod out of D3 with hit properties all set to "non-instant" (as many mobs already have such properties in the game), and it would function better than POE, but you cant make a mod out of POE that would have no desynch, even with insant hit-check modifiers.

Also, Slow Time? Hundreds of dodgable missiles(!) on screen at the same time?
The server infrastructure is VASTLY superior there, it allows crazy stuff like that.

Again: If GGG says "listen, we do not have that kind of money, so it wont happen", that is all it takes. Patch out Cyclone, Leap Slam, Reave and all that jazz, and we are clear on it. But let us not act like their high precision is what stops PoE from being flawless in the lag department.

Also, play Mahvel. It is glorious, and it is also F2P.

KKRT00

Stop it, please. Play ROS, come back. Open your eyes. There are stuns that last for half seconds. D3 is good counterexample. You could make a mod out of D3 with hit properties all set to "non-instant" (as many mobs already have such properties in the game), and it would function better than POE, but you cant make a mod out of POE that would have no desynch, even with insant hit-check modifiers.

Also, Slow Time? Hundreds of dodgable missiles(!) on screen at the same time?
The server infrastructure is VASTLY superior there, it allows crazy stuff like that.

Again: If GGG says "listen, we do not have that kind of money, so it wont happen", that is all it takes. Patch out Cyclone, Leap Slam, Reave and all that jazz, and we are clear on it. But let us not act like their high precision is what stops PoE from being flawless in the lag department.

Also, play Mahvel. It is glorious, and it is also F2P.
But i played ROS. I've finished it with clusterfuck Wizard mostly farming bounties Act 4 that has the most mobs with stun, so i exactly know what i'm talking about.

In PoE, You have short freezes, stuns from high damage hits, stuns from stun attacks, skill interruptions, block animations.
In D3 You have two or three mobs that has attacks that stuns and rest stuns are from champions skills.

V_Arnold

But i played ROS. I've finished it with clusterfuck Wizard mostly farming bounties Act 4 that has the most mobs with stun, so i exactly know what i'm talking about.

In PoE, You have short freezes, stuns from high damage hits, stuns from stun attacks, skill interruptions, block animations.
In D3 You have two or three mobs that has attacks that stuns and rest stuns are from champions skills.

So you think that the calculation of stun (i.e. caching your hp as X, and checking every hit that is made against you if it is bigger than X/N where N is the stun coef that you currently have..... is that it? Do you propose that simply that check makes the combat engine that much more depending? I would still assume that the data transfer is not relevant in this discussion as the data is all on the server regarding your max HP.

KKRT00

So you think that the calculation of stun (i.e. caching your hp as X, and checking every hit that is made against you if it is bigger than X/N where N is the stun coef that you currently have..... is that it? Do you propose that simply that check makes the combat engine that much more depending? I would still assume that the data transfer is not relevant in this discussion as the data is all on the server regarding your max HP.

It just changes the amount of sync problem situations.

The biggest problem of desync is teleporting back and it happens, because You get stunned on server, but You dont get this info on the client, so from client standpoint You are able to move, when for server You are staying in place. Its even more prevalent with very short stuns like those in PoE that can last for 0.2s, because You can move much faster in that game over long distances and using movement skill like leap slam while this stun occurs can cause heavy desync.
There is much less situations in D3 for such behavior than in PoE, because there are less stuns and stuns are rather long, so You can resync.
I tested teleporting and dashing in D3 with freezing champion attack and never got frozen mid jump. I could get frozen even though u jumped out from frozen area or i could just jump out. It depended if i hit sync call.

Btw have You found a shrine in PoE that give You invincibility? It eliminated desync completely for me for 60s.

V_Arnold

It just changes the amount of sync problem situations.

The biggest problem of desync is teleporting back and it happens, because You get stunned on server, but You dont get this info on the client, so from client standpoint You are able to move, when for server You are staying in place. Its even more prevalent with very short stuns like those in PoE that can last for 0.2s, because You can move much faster in that game over long distances and using movement skill like leap slam while this stun occurs can cause heavy desync.
There is much less situations in D3 for such behavior than in PoE, because there are less stuns and stuns are rather long, so You can resync.
I tested teleporting and dashing in D3 with freezing champion attack and never got frozen mid jump. I could get frozen even though u jumped out from frozen area or i could just jump out. It depended if i hit sync call.

Btw have You found a shrine in PoE that give You invincibility? It eliminated desync completely for me for 60s.

Hm, your reasoning is solid, but then if the game is built like this, would not it be better if stun is completely changed or even removed? They can EASILY have a layer of depth without that - or if stun is changed to "your attacks deal 20% damage for the stun duration" or "you cant deal physical damage or regen life slower for the stun duration", because with these changes, you would send your attack data/input data, and the server would not need to teleport your movement back to the previous room,into the middle of that enemy group, but rather you would simply deal no/less damage.

I do not remember the invincibility shrined in PoE currently, my ROS shrine memories are fighting against the POE shrines :D

Kammie

It's not the elephant in the room, GGG knows about it and now and then there's a hint dropped they're trying to work on it.

They've relaunched their development manifesto, where they talk about it. Even if the desync section is a copy-and-paste of the old one, there's some new details regarding the solutions they tried to implement and why they don't feel they work.

http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-forum/dev-manifesto

Rufus

Hm, your reasoning is solid, but then if the game is built like this, would not it be better if stun is completely changed or even removed? They can EASILY have a layer of depth without that - or if stun is changed to "your attacks deal 20% damage for the stun duration" or "you cant deal physical damage or regen life slower for the stun duration", because with these changes, you would send your attack data/input data, and the server would not need to teleport your movement back to the previous room,into the middle of that enemy group, but rather you would simply deal no/less damage.
That's the problem, they don't want to remove this complexity. Either because they really, really don't want to and like to have it, OR because changing that would be too much work. I believe them when they say that it would take a re-write of large parts of the game. Couple that with the fact that they are commited to updating the game constantly and it's never ever going to happen. They either stop updating regularly, or they hire additional people to split the workload, which I don't see happening either. PoE is forever going to have this de-sync problem.

For now, I'd be glad if they reduced the amount of effects. I don't have an SSD (yet) and sometimes, especially when invaders or rogue exiles show up their skill effects have to be loaded in separately (at least that's what I assume is happening). My framreate tanks every time and it cost my trapper's life the last time it happened.

Didn't get to endgame with a single character this league. T_T

Kammie

It seems as though finally the droprates on the Atziri map pieces may be reasonable. Farmed them a bit today and got four full sets, and sold them all. Gotta make some quick money before prices plummet!

It's still tedious, but at least it can be done.

Edit: I'm up to 11 sold sets. Selling 'em for an exalt each, that's 11 exalts in less than 24 hours since I started farming! This thing is gonna crash soon, lol.

Kammie

Well, thanks to the improved sacrifice shard drop rates, in less than 24 hours I made 14 exalts and was able to buy a 6L Lioneye's. Also had some good RNG this week with 3 exalt drops in two days. To think that a week ago I'd gone absolutely broke, and I got 25 exalts in this little time! I can hardly believe it myself.

Left to do now: a 6L Lightning Coil. There's only one on sale in standard, for 35 ex. I may possibly opt to try to craft this one instead and just save up for a 6L Quill Rain for my other character.

V_Arnold

Well, thanks to the improved sacrifice shard drop rates, in less than 24 hours I made 14 exalts and was able to buy a 6L Lioneye's. Also had some good RNG this week with 3 exalt drops in two days. To think that a week ago I'd gone absolutely broke, and I got 25 exalts in this little time! I can hardly believe it myself.

Left to do now: a 6L Lightning Coil. There's only one on sale in standard, for 35 ex. I may possibly opt to try to craft this one instead and just save up for a 6L Quill Rain for my other character.

Damn, that is an insanely high amount.
Did the market prices not adjust to the easier farming for the mats? How much do you sell a set for?

Also, let me guess: 60-70 City of Sarn / hour runs, looking for corrupted zones?

TheFatOne

Now that my finals are nearly over, and I'm almost done with school I'm jumping back in again. I need a new build that is strictly for farming in the new HC league. I want something with a relatively low amount of currency I have to put into a build. Is summoner still viable as a farming build?

Kammie

Damn, that is an insanely high amount.
Did the market prices not adjust to the easier farming for the mats? How much do you sell a set for?

Also, let me guess: 60-70 City of Sarn / hour runs, looking for corrupted zones?
The market has been adjusting, the other day before the patch they were going for 3 ex.

Right now people are trying to sell them for like 1ex+10c, I just put them up for 1ex and they sell. Anything higher and no one ever expresses any interest.

So far I've sold 16 sets, so 16 ex. Since my last post where I mentioned getting my Lioneye's (where I spent my last exalt), I've made dinner, browsed the web, farmed a little and am back at 5 ex. lol.

I'm pretty positive the value hasn't sunk lower because people just aren't aware how much easier it is after the patch. That's why I'm hurrying to do this, I'm sure by Tuesday or Wednesday you'll be lucky to get 10 chaos from this. From my calculations, midnights now drop 10% of the time whenever you get a shard. So 1/10 shards will be a midnight.

Edit: Oh, and yeah, Sarn runs. I'm using two Quicksilver flasks with 27/29% increased movement speed. Two of those take me almost to the end of the level, if nothing's spawned I just portal back and repeat. They also take me through the entire corrupted area, so I fight nothing but the boss.

I was using portal scrolls, but I was running out way too fast, so I just bought a portal gem instead. It's a little bit slower going like this, since you need to clear mobs before summoning the portal, but I've gotten some uniques and stuff this way (like the new bow. I'll be testing it out later to see how it works).

Zynx

You're not talking Ambush, are you? Because I see midnights regularly being offered for like a dozen chaos here.

BTW, try putting portal with CwDT.

Kammie

Suggested Build of the Week for the two-week race:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wB2elR82nJM&feature=youtu.be

I'm probably gonna farm more midnight shards this weekend (already sold 21 sets for 21 exalts) to try to get closer to my 6L Quill Rain, and then try out the race starting on Monday or something. Due to my crappy location and internet connection, I'm pretty certain I'm gonna be dying to desync at one point or another, so I may consider going with this build just to be safe. Expect to die at Brutus to be honest. Getting past him in races with the desync is a nightmare.

If a brand new player starts this, well, where should I start?

Any recommended classes, builds, tips?

Also, a newbie here to this kind of action-loot game

Kammie

I would recommend experimenting by yourself and using whatever uniques you come across or read about. Following a build takes a lot of the fun out of it, especially on a first playthrough. The game's best moments are when you figure things out and get them working by yourself.

Just don't neglect life. You will want close to 200% off the tree. Even if it seems unnecessary, four zones later you will start getting murdered. As far as damage is concerned, that's easy to get through gear and leveling gems, but life is what will end up ruining your character and forcing a reroll.

Keep your resistances close to 75% or above. In Cruel you get a 20% penalty to them, and in Merciless, 60, so you'll have to compensate each time you hit a new difficulty unless you'd been overcapping before. Also, if you find you're dying in 2-3 shots, it's most likely resistance-related. Don't get frustrated and try to find parties until you can improve your gear. Solo can get really tough depending on your build and gear.

This site will be your best friend: http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Path_of_Exile_Wiki

Nibiru

Banned
Playing the new 2 week charity event and if you don't skip any corrupted zones, bosses or ambush chests this is the hardest shit ever! I love it!:)

Nibiru

Banned

I have the opposite advice. Find a build and run with it. Get used to the environments, mobs, bosses, the tree and nuances of currency and THEN you can choose to design your own build.

Top Bottom