• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Path of Exile |OT| Loot 3.0

Kammie

Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it.
I will! Just gotta see what I want to do with it...

Also, I just realized that on my LA/Frenzy archer, I can replace my Gifts From Above ring with anything at all, since it doesn't have any resistances... so I can equip Ming's for bonus damage and automatic -1% chaos res (I sit at -60%) usually. I think this may enable me to do the second bosses on Apex of Sacrifice. I assume they do chaos damage because I was getting two-shotted like nothing.

I also recently got Doedre's Damning, a ring that can allow for a second curse. I run CWDT with Enfeeble/Increased Area of Effect, so that could be cool to play around with by switching out Inc AoE, too! Gonna go give it a spin in some maps.

Edit: Don't know what it is today, but man, this luck... just got a rare one-handed sword that could probably sell for 10 exalts.

Kammie

I cannot wait for the fusing changes to come with the next expansion. Blowing three+ exalts' worth of fuses to get 4-links just makes me mad. I was saving these all for when the changes hit, but I went like "What the hell, I'll probably get a 5L"--but nope! Could have just bought what I freaking needed for two exalts instead.

So I'm done socketing and linking until then. This stuff just ruins the game, they absolutely could not have made a shittier system if they'd tried. If I get an item I should be allowed to use it, not be forced to keep it in my stash for two months like with my last chest.

Sarcasm

Seems likes nobody plays anymore, I just was able to get the non crappy garena version installed so I could access my supporter account with market goodies to find out:

1) My characters points are reset, so I don't want to sit here for a bit to figure out how to spend them

lol

I'm guessing we're at the lull before the next expansion. I'm still playing with a friend and it's his first go, so he's still super excited

Seems likes nobody plays anymore, I just was able to get the non crappy garena version installed so I could access my supporter account with market goodies to find out:

1) My characters points are reset, so I don't want to sit here for a bit to figure out how to spend them

lol

each time I come back I hope they fixed their net code. Then I play for a week and cry a little on the inside

Lost my lv42 Scion on Dominus...not even the actual Dominus fight - I got stuck in a corner and leap slammed nonstop by the fire add. Spent way too much time with that character to just delete it, so I went back and one shot Dominus. That made it feel even worse, I could have owned him on hardcore : /

Had a lv21 Templar stored away in invasion so I dusted it off, got some lucky drops (Melee Splash, which I'm using with Internal Blow and Added Fire Dmg), got to lv28 super fast. Initially it was a wand templar but I'm slowly changing it into a one hand tank.
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/105920

I mainly play on the weekends.

Hey guys, started playing after a really long time and i am considering rolling a new build.

Any suggestions on some which is viable in endgame? And IS noob friendly? I've seen ground slam Marauder build but i am contemplating if its any good in endgame.

Kammie

The fusing system in this game is a putrid pile of shit. I have to 5-link a weapon because I've already skinned it, but every damn fuse I throw onto this thing is wasted. Expansion is slated for mid-August. I don't know if I can take this any more, I'm getting really frustrated at all this bullshit RNG, and two months to wait to see what changes they make to the system is just ridiculous.

I also hit 92 on my main and tried Atziri again with new gear and new skills... and it's still bullshit. 80% lightning res and I get two-shotted on the double Vaal lightning balls, and the damn skills are so fast and the game so desync-prone that you're always gonna get hit no matter what.

Also, no one plays anymore, so nothing from the shop ever sells. Map groups for end-level maps take ten minutes to fill up, if you're lucky.

Just starting to get bored all around.

The fusing system in this game is a putrid pile of shit. I have to 5-link a weapon because I've already skinned it, but every damn fuse I throw onto this thing is wasted. Expansion is slated for mid-August. I don't know if I can take this any more, I'm getting really frustrated at all this bullshit RNG, and two months to wait to see what changes they make to the system is just ridiculous.

I also hit 92 on my main and tried Atziri again with new gear and new skills... and it's still bullshit. 80% lightning res and I get two-shotted on the double Vaal lightning balls, and the damn skills are so fast and the game so desync-prone that you're always gonna get hit no matter what.

Also, no one plays anymore, so nothing from the shop ever sells. Map groups for end-level maps take ten minutes to fill up, if you're lucky.

Just starting to get bored all around.
They made their own bed. They got too cocky and arrogant about the RNG. The game is now all but dead because of it. Moved on to Marvel Heroes and D3. MH is the opposite of PoE in terms of RNG, it's incredible.

They made their own bed. They got too cocky and arrogant about the RNG. The game is now all but dead because of it. Moved on to Marvel Heroes and D3. MH is the opposite of PoE in terms of RNG, it's incredible.

Yeah I quit too because it became too frustrating and my fireball witch basically was useless after level 85. Even with >max resist, 5 auras and >5k ES, she died a lot. That plus the endless RNG left me so bored with it all.

I've been tempted to vaal orb my legacy Shavronne's Wrappings for the hell of it.

V_Arnold

So how dead is this game?

They are removing snapshotting. Great, I will give this one more chance most likely.

I still enjoy PoE, but lately i have less and less patience for soulsucking games that are designed to devour your free time and have nothing else going on for ya....

PoE is still the king of the genre, obviously. Eh.
Next few months will be "Rolling a D3 ROS Ladder for the fun of it, until it gets boring -> starting a melee character in PoE new league, MAYBE they made it fun finally -> big break" - repeat next league/season :D
At least I can play Marvel Heroes without worrying about ladders. And yet the game gets updated just as dynamically (or recently: MUCH more often) as PoE. Although they are about to introduce ladders there as well, in 2014.

Skab

So how dead is this game?

They are removing snapshotting. Great, I will give this one more chance most likely.

I still enjoy PoE, but lately i have less and less patience for soulsucking games that are designed to devour your free time and have nothing else going on for ya....

PoE is still the king of the genre, obviously. Eh.
Next few months will be "Rolling a D3 ROS Ladder for the fun of it, until it gets boring -> starting a melee character in PoE new league, MAYBE they made it fun finally -> big break" - repeat next league/season :D
At least I can play Marvel Heroes without worrying about ladders. And yet the game gets updated just as dynamically (or recently: MUCH more often) as PoE. Although they are about to introduce ladders there as well, in 2014.

PoE is not, has has never been, the king of this genre.

V_Arnold

PoE is not, has has never been, the king of this genre.

It is for me, and I cant speak for others, obviously.
Diablo III has superior animations, netcode, and artstyle.
Marvel Heroes has superior loot "sweet spot" feel - for a while at least -, and a much less strict, more feelgood endgame.

But when it comes to replayability, theorycrafting, endgame options, PoE is the best, imho.

Kammie

Same. I come back for the fun events but any long term play is killed by desync. Not sure why i still go hardcore everytime when its always death by desync.

It looks like they aren't even trying to remedy the one factor holding the game back.
They've got a manifesto writeup on it, it's not something they're ignoring. And while it's a big issue, the game is still playable. The one factor that really makes most people quit is the shit RNG, which they've been in the process of addressing.

That said, the desync has improved a lot since I started playing. I also really can't recall dying to it in several months now. The main problem lies in races, where it's pretty severe.

If you're planning to stick around in endgame, try softcore. 10% XP loss that negates your last 4 hours of work is still pretty stressful. I've even macro'd Alt+F4 at this point.

They've got a manifesto writeup on it, it's not something they're ignoring. And while it's a big issue, the game is still playable. The one factor that really makes most people quit is the shit RNG, which they've been in the process of addressing.

That said, the desync has improved a lot since I started playing. I also really can't recall dying to it in several months now. The main problem lies in races, where it's pretty severe.

If you're planning to stick around in endgame, try softcore. 10% XP loss that negates your last 4 hours of work is still pretty stressful. I've even macro'd Alt+F4 at this point.

Or just play a different game

Krassus

Game is still pumping with less than 2 weeks left in the league, messed around and made a melee toon to try Atziri before it ends and have had no problems trading and grouping.

I've been racing a lot, trying to get my hands on an Immortal Flesh for next season, where I'll make a melee character. At least, I'm pretty sure that's what I'll do. It'll probably be based on what fundamental changes they're doing for next season.

Zynx

There are two things that GGG have done recently that does make me suspect the active player base is in decline:
First is the unique droprate boost. I do think that if the game was doing well, they wouldn't have made such an adjustment. Also, they're making a big effort to do more community outreach - with the development manifestos, builds of the week, etc., which also to me is a sign they're concerned about the health of their playerbase.

I remember when I was asking where the GAF guildies were; if they had all gone inactive. Well, I joined them shortly after deciding that I would definitely not replay the same segments of the game over and over again for any reason at all. I still enjoyed theorycrafting new builds, but I couldn't be arsed to grind currency for either the regrets or for the pricey centerpiece items for cool builds.

I'm actually in the opposite situation. I'm waiting for a passive reset so I can try a new build without having to grind all the regrets. You don't actually need to press "reset" on the character right away - as long as you don't assign any new passive nodes, you can put off using the reset.

Kammie

There are two things that GGG have done recently that does make me suspect the active player base is in decline:
You don't even need to suspect, it's a fact.

http://steamcharts.com/app/238960#6m

Next mini expansion will apparently be to address a lot of concerns people have with the current game, they've said it won't be a boss like Atziri.

They've been running many more sales, and are beginning to sell shit like glowing angel wings which sell like crazy but compromise whatever artistic integrity the visual design of the game had.

Also, with the newest patch, they made it so that buying a stash tab on the shop will automatically transfer all the contents of a random read-only tab to it, instead of giving you a fresh tab. This is an obvious money-grab attempt, because if you have 12 read-only tabs, you will first have to buy 6 tabs, then another 6 because the items you wanted didn't get transferred, and then another 6 so you can have the empty tabs that you wanted.

Playerbase has declined in-game to ridiculous levels, Standard basically died out from one day to the other when the two-week race began. It never recovered.

Rufus

They've been running many more sales, and are beginning to sell shit like glowing angel wings which sell like crazy but compromise whatever artistic integrity the visual design of the game had.
TF2 syndrome. But hey, if it keeps the company alive...

V_Arnold

Do not talk to me about artistic integrity when they have templars running around pantless.

Transmutty!
Zg1ZCoc.jpg

Desync is the only reason I stopped playing.

I enjoyed races when I started playing them, but I kept getting screwed by desyncs somehow.

MH is the opposite of PoE in terms of RNG, it's incredible.
Not sure if we're playing the same game? I love MH, but I'm not gonna kid myself. I never bothered getting some weapons/armor because it requires several pieces of 1% drops from fights that take long. You get maybe 4-5 rolls of 1% every 25-40 mins depending on the monster, loadout and luck.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Well because of this thread, I felt it was my duty to finally finish the game. Got rushed through the end
Piety being the normal end-game boss?
and then the expansion
some new dude being the big bad
Reading the story quickly, it feels like this expansion was kinda planned from the start. Not a bad thing, but *shrug* haven't played in nearly six or so months so it's interesting to see so many changes and also kinda sad that the player base is decreasing from this threads reporting. :(

At least I have the Scion to where I can finally make the Nercomancer-clone class I wanted to make?

Skab

Well because of this thread, I felt it was my duty to finally finish the game. Got rushed through the end
Piety being the normal end-game boss?
and then the expansion
some new dude being the big bad
Reading the story quickly, it feels like this expansion was kinda planned from the start. Not a bad thing, but *shrug* haven't played in nearly six or so months so it's interesting to see so many changes and also kinda sad that the player base is decreasing from this threads reporting. :(

At least I have the Scion to where I can finally make the Nercomancer-clone class I wanted to make?

Dominus is the normal end game boss. Atziri is the expansion boss.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Dominus is the normal end game boss. Atziri is the expansion boss.

Huh. Didn't know that. The person rushing us was like "Oh these two new areas are from the expansion" and I'm like ":OOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!"

TheFatOne

New league announcement, and LOL it's non hardcore. Do not want. Guess I'm not playing this game for a while. It sounds like a pretty stupid league. Why not just put all of the properties at once since it's non hardcore instead of rotating them.

http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/962797
We're running a one-month league event from noon Saturday July 12 (NZ time) to noon Saturday August 9 (NZ time). Today's news post covers the details of the event and congratulates the winners of the Ambush and Invasion challenge leagues.

The starting time in the PDT timezone is 5pm Friday July 11. This is 2am on Saturday in the CEST timezone.

This event is a non-hardcore event (deaths don't cause your character to leave the event).

We've had many requests to bring back previous league properties in interesting combinations for a race event. This one-month event has the following seven sets of properties, lasting for four days each:
Anarchy and Invasion
Anarchy and Ambush
Ambush and Nemesis
Anarchy, Ambush and Nemesis
Ambush and Onslaught
Onslaught and Nemesis
Onslaught, Nemesis and Invasion

To describe each of these properties:
Anarchy: Rogue Exiles spawn at a substantially increased rate - quite a lot more than they do in the core game. Still less than one per area on average though!
Onslaught: 20% increased monster movement, attack and cast speed.
Nemesis: Every rare monster will have a Nemesis mod. Inner Treasure will occur at a much higher rate than it ever has before.
Ambush: Exactly like the recent Ambush league, craftable Strongboxes will spawn.
Invasion: A powerful Invader will spawn in each area. There is a greater variety of guest monsters when this property is in place.
Domination: Shrines are already present in the core game and we feel that ramping up their rate to create a sixth property isn't really necessary.

League-specific uniques will not spawn in this event.

Prizes
We'll pick winners randomly from the people who reach the following levels or higher. The prize levels continue to stack as you level up. You can win prizes from multiple tiers.

Prizes available in the random draw include:
Level 30: 20x Elite Armour Set
Level 40: 20x Seraph Armour Set
Level 50: 10x Verdant Armour Set
Level 60: 10x Arcane Armour Set
Level 70: 5x Choice of J!NX Shirt (either the Rhoa shirt or the Seven Classes shirt)
Level 80: 5x Pair of J!NX Shirts (both the Rhoa and the Seven Classes shirts)

In addition, the top five players by experience will receive an alternate-art Demigod's Bounty. If multiple players are tied at level 100, then the first five players to reach it will receive the prize.

Other Rules
The single highest level character in this league on your account will be considered.
Do not enter with multiple accounts - this will disqualify you.
GGG Staff members are not eligible for prizes.
If you're interested to read more about the rules of race events, check out this link.

V_Arnold

LOL it is not hardcore = YAAAY! I am joining in!

Edit: also, jesus christ at the cries of hardcore crowd. I feel uncomfortable at that. Hardcore is definitely not what made PoE great in my mind. Solve desynch and then we can talk. Until then....hah.

TheFatOne

LOL it is not hardcore = YAAAY! I am joining in!

Edit: also, jesus christ at the cries of hardcore crowd. I feel uncomfortable at that. Hardcore is definitely not what made PoE great in my mind. Solve desynch and then we can talk. Until then....hah.

It's pretty stupid on GGG part. They alienate part of their userbase for no real reason. They could have the set up just with non hardcore, and hardcore variants. They next leagues aren't running for another month plus why alienate/anger part of your playerbase? Makes no sense. Reading the forums I'm pretty tired of all "just delete your character" replies. Going in I expected there to be two option one for HC one for non HC. What they have now is just stupid.

Kammie

It's pretty stupid on GGG part. They alienate part of their userbase for no real reason. They could have the set up just with non hardcore, and hardcore variants. They next leagues aren't running for another month plus why alienate/anger part of your playerbase? Makes no sense. Reading the forums I'm pretty tired of all "just delete your character" replies. Going in I expected there to be two option one for HC one for non HC. What they have now is just stupid.
Well, GGG listened, now you have both HC and SC versions.

Unfortunately ..., they didn't. The HC crowd have always wanted higher risk, higher reward. What GGG just did was implement a HC version of the league they're already doing. So now, you can "choose" to play with only one life vs. others who can die as many times as they like. There's nothing else different between the leagues.

p.s.: I'm a softcore-only guy who's only played hardcore via races and the charity league. It's sad how I get what the complaints are, but they don't. =(

V_Arnold

Unfortunately ..., they didn't. The HC crowd have always wanted higher risk, higher reward. What GGG just did was implement a HC version of the league they're already doing. So now, you can "choose" to play with only one life vs. others who can die as many times as they like. There's nothing else different between the leagues.

p.s.: I'm a softcore-only guy who's only played hardcore via races and the charity league. It's sad how I get what the complaints are, but they don't. =(

So first they want a HC version too, but now it is not enough, cause it is not more? Jesus Christ.

What do you "get" is a superiority complex of HC players who have been kinda spoiled by GGG's treatment of special leagues. The "oh, but it is just what we wanted now, not MORE" complain feels what I said when I was 6 years old and complained to my grandma that although I got the chocolate I wanted, I did not get 2 of it. After all the discussion about how the economy is elevated beyong shit and the feeling and the rush is there compared to normal leagues (just read it back here), and I would assume that most HC players are actually satisfied with having a HC option, but "nothing more".

That more will come in the next season, next big leagues. Their ego should survive this next 30 days :p

TheFatOne

Good this is all I wanted.

No most people just wanted a HC variationn for the one month league, but this sentiment is mostly true for the upcoming league.
So first they want a HC version too, but now it is not enough, cause it is not more? Jesus Christ.

What do you "get" is a superiority complex of HC players who have been kinda spoiled by GGG's treatment of special leagues. The "oh, but it is just what we wanted now, not MORE" complain feels what I said when I was 6 years old and complained to my grandma that although I got the chocolate I wanted, I did not get 2 of it. After all the discussion about how the economy is elevated beyong shit and the feeling and the rush is there compared to normal leagues (just read it back here), and I would assume that most HC players are actually satisfied with having a HC option, but "nothing more".

That more will come in the next season, next big leagues. Their ego should survive this next 30 days :p
HC players don't really get special treatment for the long leagues. They actually got screwed over in the last league. Tons of risk with no real reward.

Zynx

WTF...I just logged into PoE to check my formerly Ambush characters in standard...and my ambush stash was just stuffed into my empty Standard stash tabs, rather than generating any remove-only tabs.

I'm actually a bit upset, since that leaves me with like 2 empty stash tabs out of the 14 I bought. I was actually considering playing standard because I didn't feel like leveling up my characters again but now I'm really, really not sure.

I'm thinking of posting a reddit thread, actually...see if I can get some traction.

Rufus

I wonder what would have happened if your stash tabs were filled with junk, just to take up space. This would have been an easy way around this change.

Kammie

WTF...I just logged into PoE to check my formerly Ambush characters in standard...and my ambush stash was just stuffed into my empty Standard stash tabs, rather than generating any remove-only tabs.

I'm actually a bit upset, since that leaves me with like 2 empty stash tabs out of the 14 I bought. I was actually considering playing standard because I didn't feel like leveling up my characters again but now I'm really, really not sure.

I'm thinking of posting a reddit thread, actually...see if I can get some traction.
It's official then, they're apparently trying to force people to buy more stash space now.

Right now after the latest patch, if you have remove-only tabs and you buy tabs in the shop, the remove-onlies are converted. You don't get new empty stash tabs.

Post it in Reddit but also the Feedback section of the official forum. Reddit is a fucking circlejerk and they will downvote any criticism of the game or GGG, no matter how justified.

syko de4d

Oh cool 1month race starts today? Mhh any funny new builds to play? :D

edit: i think i will go with a Raging Spirit build after the huge damage buff + the new echo support gem :)

Top Bottom