• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Path of Exile |OT| Loot 3.0

I have the opposite advice. Find a build and run with it. Get used to the environments, mobs, bosses, the tree and nuances of currency and THEN you can choose to design your own build.

I concur. I've played for about a year, but this is my first HC character, so I'm running the build of the week that's attached to this race. It's solid running so far, but I've nearly died to a few invasion bosses first time I encountered them

TheFatOne

I absolutely love the two week race event. That should have been a league. For the first time ever I'm playing a melee character and have already died twice. One was a desync the other I decided to fight the wrong corrupted zone boss, and got annihilated. Armored zombies that move incredibly fast was an instant death. Love the two week race so far, but I can't really put time in until tomorrow. Is there a GAF guild? I would love to join so I could chat with the other gafers while playing.

Rufus

So far the most dangerous things for me are strongboxes. The bit of lag every time I open one is really scary. I definitely need to get Smoke Mine to deal with this.

Kammie

Word of advice: avoid facetaking invaders, even if you feel your character is up to it.

Trying my second character now, but when this one dies I'll probably go back to playing standard. It's fun but I'm just not big on rips, especially when there's desync and strongbox lag involved.

Rufus

I had a really close call with a strongbox earlier. Lighning skeletons in a tiny enclosed space are to be avoided. I miraculously survived, but found out that not even Smoke Mine is a 100% reliable countermeasure. :c

Rufus

2 week race death #1: Accidentally opened a strongbox unprepared, got blown up within two seconds. I was level 51.

Profound sadness.

Do NOT try to kite shit close to a strongbox.

Rubius

Man, after playing Diablo 3 ROS up to level 70, I have to say that Diablo feel so dead compared to Path of Exile. Nobody ever talk in the chat of Path of Exile.
Also, for some weird reasons people gave me free stuff 2 times today. One guy gave me the skill gem Convocation, and an another guy gave me a Summoner Amulet. Both did not want anything for the stuff.

Hn9aDM4.jpg

People are really helpful in Path of exile for some reasons.

TheFatOne

I'm stuck in the two week race. My gear is garbage and my only hope is to party and farm ledge. The only issue is that no one is ever farming ledge when I'm on. One day the rng gods will be helpful to me and get me the gear drops I need.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Started playing this unbelievably amazing game and...

:D

iboQRHwZdLKrej.jpg

Where you see this at? I wanna see if my name is there.

I'm pretty sure, but don't quote me on this, but it's in the credits after beating the D
ominus, you naughty boy

Quick informal poll: What happens when you beat Merciless?
  • You level the character as high as you can (maps)
  • You try to level as hard as you can, but stop when it gets grindy (post-docks)
  • You start a new character you've always wanted to build

Rufus

I'm pretty sure, but don't quote me on this, but it's in the credits after beating the D
ominus, you naughty boy

• You try to level as hard as you can, but stop when it gets grindy (post-docks)
Level til 85 or so, when it slows down seriously, then start another character or take a break. Maybe do races.

V_Arnold

ominus, you naughty boy

I usually last till 82-85, and when a build-defining unique drops, that is when I reroll. Repeat.

Kammie

Level and get 6-links, and play around on the tree. 91 on my LA ranger, and every level either gives more life or a little bit more damage, and it's fun to shift a few things around here and there to milk as much DPS as I can out of the tree. GGG screwed my build over with nerfs and tree changes twice, and I managed to make it even stronger by sticking to it and taking some chances (after a lot of bitching, though). Tried doing Atziri and got murdered, so next plan is to get copies of Alpha's Howl/Darkray Vectors so I can run alternate CWDT/aura setups just for this dungeon.

I have a CoC Quill Rain witch who was also doing terrible, since I wanted to experiment with Arctic Armour. Took a huge chance, respecced about 20 points into Iron Reflexes, and it was build-defining. Then took a further chance and specced out of life nodes to go into MoM, and that enabled my build to do even more stuff. But there's really nothing else I can do aside from get more life on the tree and get a 6L chest. I'm not sure if there's any AA/IR/MoM crit builds around, since acrobatics is the way to go on these, but I was just stubborn since I wanted to get use of my AA microtransaction.

I really don't agree with people who reroll at 75 or something, there's really so much more that you can do with the tree and a few pieces of optimal gear. Builds don't really shine until this point, and some of the most fun comes from actually optimizing them to not die in maps.

Also, hitting even 90 isn't that hard. The secret is to just pay to run high level maps in a group. If you're going to try it solo though, forget it, I spent 2 months unable to build past a pool of 74 and just dying to random garbage. Started grouping and in 3 weeks of casual mapping I went from 87 to 91.

TheFatOne

I'm stuck at 61. I made it to merciless act III, but my rng luck with this character is absolute garbage. My dps is a paltry 680 on a one handed molten strike. The only way I can level efficiently would be to do dock runs, but I have to do them in a party. The catch is that no one ever does dock runs in the two week race. I see a party go up like once maybe twice in a day. I was going to try and reach 65, but I think I'm just going to stop here. Is the GAF guild still active?And if so who do I contact to join?
Just do yourself a favor and stay away from hardcore/invasion. No point in those, imho.

The economy in softcore is complete and utter garbage. I would take the desync deaths any day of the week then play in that inflated ass economy.

I'm stuck at 61. I made it to merciless act III, but my rng luck with this character is absolute garbage. My dps is a paltry 680 on a one handed molten strike.

Don't do what I did. I got greedy with my Molten Strike build. I switched from 1H to 2H to increase my DPS. Me and my friend were doing fine mind you. Got away with it because my first Rustic Sash sword was 77% and increased attack speed. Things were great. I made an upgrade, started using it, died. Why? Unexpected rare and my life recovery was crap because I dropped my base attack speed to 1.0 ...

It's pretty easy to gauge prices for gear once you know what stats are good and how the bracket work.

I tend to rob people blind because I haggle down the price to nothing by telling them how shitty some stats is for me and how I'm just testing a build that might not work out. I know when a seller won't budge or not, but sometimes I can make them feel desperate.

Just love the haggle trade system.

V_Arnold

It's pretty easy to gauge prices for gear once you know what stats are good and how the bracket work.

I tend to rob people blind because I haggle down the price to nothing by telling them how shitty some stats is for me and how I'm just testing a build that might not work out. I know when a seller won't budge or not, but sometimes I can make them feel desperate.

Wow. That is true class.

Kammie

The economy in softcore is complete and utter garbage. I would take the desync deaths any day of the week then play in that inflated ass economy.
The economy is fine, at the most it will take you as much effort to save up currency for a 6L as it would to roll it yourself in most cases.

For example, a 5L Voll's Protector in Standard for 4 ex is perfectly acceptable. If you consider that my last one took like 300 jewellers and 350 fusings to make, that's about 10 exalts' worth.

Too many people talk shit about the economy, particularly Standard's, but so long as you spend a couple hours a week farming a boss for alts, you can buy whatever you want.

mrpeabody

The game...within the game.

Kammie

Chances of socketing made public by Chris.

1 socket: 32.68%
2 sockets: 29.41%
3 sockets: 26.14%
4 sockets: 9.80%
5 sockets: 1.63%
6 sockets: 0.33%

So if you ever wondered why it took you 856 jewellers to get a fucking 6S, well there you go.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Chances of socketing made public by Chris.

1 socket: 32.68%
2 sockets: 29.41%
3 sockets: 26.14%
4 sockets: 9.80%
5 sockets: 1.63%
6 sockets: 0.33%

So if you ever wondered why it took you 856 jewellers to get a fucking 6S, well there you go.

Shit. Good info!

Gothos

Don't you guys think that they should drop the different ruleset between Softcore/Hardcore leagues? I played a bit in the 2 week charity event and when I think about going back to HC league without the strongboxes I'm a sad panda :( Just give us new rules in both leagues so we don't feel like we're missing something - it's really starting to bother me more and more with every new season.

Rufus

Not sure what you're asking for. Strongboxes are going to trickle into every league from now on, same way shrines and rogue exiles have.

Kammie

The leagues end on July 7 or so anyway. Give it two weeks after that for the new ones to start (if it's as it was on the last league changeover), and you'll have strongboxes before you know it.

I'm really eager to get strongboxes on Standard. I just can't play on another league, don't like separating my luck and farming and being unable to use the profits on my mains.

Gothos

Ye, but when the new leagues will start once again there will be things available in one league and unavailable in the other :( They should limit it only to items not the ruleset itself.

I think it's to incentivize playing in one vs. the other. But, in a twisted way, they think hardcore people are masochists and softcore people need to be placated:

Standard --> Shrines --> Strongboxes
Hardcore --> Bosses with stronger, harder Nemesis mods that jump you when you take your eyes off the screen --> Bosses with even more stronger, harder Nemesis-like mods jump you when you blink

Kammie

Ye, but when the new leagues will start once again there will be things available in one league and unavailable in the other :( They should limit it only to items not the ruleset itself.
As a softcore player I personally don't want to be playing a game where I risk death farming Docks due to invading bosses. I think it's fine to keep rulesets separated.

What needs to be fixed is risk-reward. Killing invasion bosses within your character level should have higher chances for currency or uniques, for example.

Anyway, it'll be interesting to see what direction they take on the new leagues. It's definitely not gonna be more one-shots, as they lost too many players due to it. They've also mentioned they will be doing plenty more testing instead of rushing things out at the last minute.

Rufus

I think it's to incentivize playing in one vs. the other. But, in a twisted way, they think hardcore people are masochists and softcore people need to be placated:

Standard --> Shrines --> Strongboxes
Hardcore --> Bosses with stronger, harder Nemesis mods that jump you when you take your eyes off the screen --> Bosses with even more stronger, harder Nemesis-like mods jump you when you blink
Don't forget Onslaught, i.e. desync-league. I didn't even participate in that. I'm really curious to see what they do for the next hardcore league. I hope it's more opt-in, the way strongboxes and corrupted areas are.

Build of the Week is a Cast on Crit archer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mt5M92rLUbU

The interesting thing about this one is that he has a corrupted amulet to give him an additional curse, and he casts the curses with CoC! Pretty crazy.

I've run into this build before. I call it the Party Pooper. So what happens is: You've got a great Docks group going, clearing levels, not going into Vaal side-areas, not opening boxes with Exiles in them, you know, an actual Docks group.

Someone drops and the Party Pooper comes along. Immediately, one or two party members sieze up as their computers grind to a halt. For the rest of us, desync-city happens because this build is absolutely horrid to peer clients.

=)

Kammie

I've run into this build before. I call it the Party Pooper. So what happens is: You've got a great Docks group going, clearing levels, not going into Vaal side-areas, not opening boxes with Exiles in them, you know, an actual Docks group.

Someone drops and the Party Pooper comes along. Immediately, one or two party members sieze up as their computers grind to a halt. For the rest of us, desync-city happens because this build is absolutely horrid to peer clients.

=)
I'm personally fond of the discharge builds that give me epileptic seizures.

I like playing with other CoC builds in the party, though.

Now a pet peeve is anything using flameblast with GMP and Increased Area of Effect (if that's what they use to get it to take up the whole screen)... literally can't see a thing during the entire map, it's really a miserable experience.

Now a pet peeve is anything using flameblast with GMP and Increased Area of Effect (if that's what they use to get it to take up the whole screen)... literally can't see a thing during the entire map, it's really a miserable experience.

Did you mean Flameblast or something else? The idea of multiple circles intrigues me, but I don't see how that technically works.

Kammie

1.1.4 patch is going live right now.

Unique rates are being modified, some changes to dual-wielding, you can now use Vaal fragments to spawn Vaal side areas in maps. Assorted other stuff. Seems good.

http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/936394

Curious as to whether the fragment mechanic will be worth it over just farming Sarn (especially considering each fragment is like a chisel). Also hoping this means I stop getting Crown of Thorns once every two days.

Edit: All right, update done. Let's test this! I'll farm Vaal till I get a unique, see what the first one I get is.

Edit 2: Pfft! Voll's Protector.

Kammie

After playing a bit, I get the impression that not only are the unique drop tiers a little better, but the drop rates themselves... or maybe I'm just lucky. But normal mobs definitely seem to be dropping them more often, unlike before, where it was usually bosses who did.

Best I've gotten out of 10 uniques so far are a 4L Lightning Coil and Rainbowstrides, both from mobs.

Kammie

Had a Ming's Heart drop...

...no idea what to do... o_o

I could sell it for 20 ex and get my third 6L... but you can seriously just slowly grind out those exalts; it would be a waste. And there are changes to 6-linking coming in the next expansion, and this league ends in a month.

I think it may be more interesting to consider rolling something new...

.... o_o ....

Top Bottom