• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow: Mirror of Fate: HD (XL/PSN) |OT| - We ran out of colons

Ahasverus

Price: $14.99

lbQLVpL.png

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate - INCLUDES FREE LORDS OF SHADOW 2 DEMO

Platforms: Xbox Live Arcade - PlayStation Network - VERY PROBABLY PC (Teased) - Coming Soon as part of the Lords of Shadow Collection incluiding Lords of Shadow, its DLC, Mirror of Fate and the LoS2 exclusive Demo.
Developer: MercurySteam
Director: José Luis Márquez
Supervisor: Enric Alvarez
Producer: David Cox
Composer: Oscar Araujo
Voice Actors: Robert Carlyle (Dracula), Richard Madden (Alucard), Alec Newman (Simon Belmont), Adrian Schiller (Demon Lord)

I think we need a place to discuss this special release. A great OT was already done before for the 3DS release. Read http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=518355

STORY
The game takes place in 3 different times each one focusing on the personal struggle of a Belmont with their ancestor, Gabriel Belmont, now called Dracul, who swore revenge to the brotherhood of life for making him the monster he is.

SCREENSHOTS
Here

FAQ

Why isn't Igarashi working on this? This is not a true Cast-
SHUT UP. GTFO. Castlevania existed before IGA, and it does after him.

Is the story standalone?
No if you want to play Lords of Shadow 2. If it's your first Castlevania or LoS for that matter, yes, it can be played standalone without problem as it takes palce in a pivotal moment when stakes change into the narrative.

Why is Alucard using a whip?
Play the game.

Why is this character I knew before so different? I'm sure Simon's shade of red wasn't this one
It's another timeline, part of a reboot.

GAMEPLAY: IS IT METROIVANIA OR NOT?
No matter what the producer says, it's kinda a MetroidVania, the map is open and you go through new places after getting new powers and abilities. There is not much exploration and alternate paths though.

Is it more combat oriented or platfforming oriented?
It's actually balanced, you'll be fighting more time than you'd be jumping but that's because playforming is quick and agile.

Is the castle big?
The castle changes with time and you explore different areas of it. The game has 50 "stages" in total.

How Long is it?
10-11 hours approx.

Does the combat system translate well?
Yes it does. But wait, because...

Is there any change from the 3DS version?
YES. The gameplay has been tweaked and tightened by criticism. It was supposedly rebalanced.

There is also
- Leaderborads
- BossRush mode
- Lipsynch
- Uncompressed Audio.

Is it a good game?
It's a Lords of Shadow game, in 2D. It's all you need to have in mind.f If you liked LoS or third person ranged action games, it's good, if you like skeletons that die in flames with 2 hits, it isn't.

Bu-bu-but IGN told me thi is a bad game, should I buy it?
I'd suggest you to broad your lists of game websites.And try the demo, avaliable for download right now on 360 and PSN next week.

castlevania-Mirror-of-Fate.jpg

Post your impressions here!

RPGCrazied

Retail or no buy. No I will not buy the collection, I already have the first game. I'll buy it if it ever comes out in a standalone version on disc.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
anyone remember this statement by Dave Cox ...
"But when we saw the game on 3DS and how it looked with the 3D, it made us realise we could never replicate that on another system."

Cox reckons that you'll want to keep the 3D slider switched on during Mirror of Fate.

"We have carefully considered every angle, every shot, every vista to totally show off the 3D effect," Cox said.
http://www.pocketgamer.co.uk/r/PS+V...s+of+Shadow+-+Mirror+of+Fate/news.asp?c=48132

and they didn't even put a stereoscopic 3D mode here as far as I know.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Loved the 3DS demo but never bought the full game. Hopefully the PC version comes out soon (if what Cox was alluding to actually comes true)

Alucard's not that bad in the game, he's voiced by the King in the North.

Any word on a better ending? Coz the ending was terrible on the 3DS, tbh the whole final chapter was a mess...and lol at the 100% ending too.

Yanikun

Banned
PLAY. THE. GAME.

tumblr_inline_mlogyieErr1qz4rgp.gif

As a clear example, in the original game a barrel wall was required to take 7 hits, it's only 2 now

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by that. I played the game three times - what do you call barrel walls? I don't remember any object requiring seven hits.

Ahasverus

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by that. I played the game three times - what do you call barrel walls? I don't remember any object requiring seven hits.

Sorry, I didn't play the original game, but I was told so at the Castlevania Dungeon forums. Wasn't this accurrate? plase tell me the amount of hits required to break a bareel (It was supposed to be ridiculous)

Miker

I'll definitely pick this up when it hits PC. Which, given how long Lords of Shadow 1 took to come out, might be aaaaaaages from now.

Riposte

Wait... what. How did this blindside me? Or did I just forget about it lol? I guess I shouldn't be surprised. A western dev betting solely on the 3DS would be weird.

From what I saw of the mechanics (playing the demo and such), this game didn't look promising, so I skipped it. Probably not something you fix in a HD version. Being able to make a moderately entertaining GoW-like game doesn't mean jack shit when it comes to 2D.

Oh great. I think that this should be added to the OP.

During the store update Tuesday? Or is it still slated for Halloween?
Whether it will count towardf the $15 will count towards the spend $50, get $10 promo is probably what will dictate whether or not I pick it up.

Yanikun

Banned
Sorry, I didn't play the original game, but I was told so at the Castlevania Dungeon forums. Wasn't this accurrate? plase tell me the amount of hits required to break a bareel (It was supposed to be ridiculous)

If we're talking about the barrels that contain ammo, it's two as well. I just checked right now.

Bedlam

anyone remember this statement by Dave Cox ...

http://www.pocketgamer.co.uk/r/PS+V...s+of+Shadow+-+Mirror+of+Fate/news.asp?c=48132

and they didn't even put a stereoscopic 3D mode here as far as I know.
Remember his other statement, where he said that they made all the assets in higher quality and scaled everything down for the 3DS? The HD version was obviously planned from the very beginning. He should just kept his mouth shut in both instances.

That said, I'm so going to buy this.

Tohsaka

Really wish I hadn't bought the 3DS version. I actually liked the game unlike a lot of people, but I would much rather have played it in HD on PS3. I don't think I want to spend another $15 when I just paid $40 a little over six months ago.

Gouty

Bloodborne is shit
A lot of Vita owners would probably go "Boooh, it's not full 3D open world. This isn't the 90's anymore. Pass."

No they wouldn't they're Vita owners they'd be tickled they just got one more excuse to bitch about over priced memory cards.

Tohsaka

Didnt I here this contains the original LoS as well?

There's a retail release that comes with Lords of Shadow, all its DLC, this game and a LoS 2 demo. I believe the only thing that's actually on the disc is LoS, though, with everything else being PSN download codes.

The framerate is still a bit of a mess on 360. Maybe it's the LoS engine but it seems to have this stuttery choppy feel whenever the screen moves. LoS was the same too. The game looks kinda ugly to me it's too dark and has garish colours at times with low poly models. Especially when you compare it to LoS or LoS2. It's not exactly on the same level of ports as something like RE Revelations was. They've just up reseed it a bit and that's it.

Anyway this game also comes with a LoS2 demo which you access from the options and it will download from there (700mb). Should probably be mentioned in the OT?

I guess I'll wait to get this on PC. Sucks the collection is only PS3/360 otherwise I would've bought it instead of buying both games separate.

zroid

Banned
Is the demo the same content as the 3DS demo? I'd be interested to see if it's improved at all. I didn't hate the 3DS demo, but it was certainly not a game I was excited to play. I had pre-ordered it for $20 thanks to some deal and ended up getting a refund.

Fireflu

Was really looking forward to this and tried the demo but was disappointed to find it ran at 30fps, I just assumed 60fps would have been no problem given that its a 3DS port.

Also what is up with the vertical window boxing on the sides? Got two black borders on the left and right sides of my screen with no option of scaling to fix the problem...

I really wanted to like it but I think i'll wait to see if it performs better on the PC if we in fact get a PC version at all.

Top Bottom