• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Castlevania Lords of Shadow 2's reveal is one of gaming's most underrated trailers

Yeah the music and voice acting was really good in this game series. Robert Carlyle put in work during all the melodramatic moments

Also the presentation in the sequel in the past scenes at the castle was beautiful. Shame about those garbage future segments tho with the stealth.

Grisby

Yeah, Oscar is amazing. Trailer got me hyped like crazy.

I mean, he turns into a blood dragon in order to fight a giant medieval wooden robot.

Dy_Cy

Yeah the music and voice acting was really good in this game series. Robert Carlyle put in work during all the melodramatic moments

Robert Carlyle should do more voice acting. Dude is too talented to just do new seasons of Once Upon a Time.

modern day ruined the game i don't know what they were thinking

Modern day on paper was a great idea! But it sucked not because of the setting itself but by how boring it was designed to be! They had so much to work with having Dracula in present day for the first time, instead we get Dracula visiting dreary gray factories (nevermind how Dracula has been asleep for a millennia and is being told about pharmaceutical corporations so matter of fact and he doesnt ask a single question about that because God forbid we might get a bit of levity in this game's script..... why would Dracula know what a pharmaceutical corporation even is???) in a deserted city thats filled with demons.

And I almost forgot about Victor Belmont.
He fights you, he becomes your ally, takes you somewhere and commits suicide just because.

So much wasted potential.

zenspider

Trailer looks like a shclocky dark metal video.

I guess this is where the fanbase splits?

Castlevania should be romantic gothic, not medieval power fantasy.

And Lament of Innocence is the best 3D Castlevania.

Lament aged like a 15 year old milk carton. Hell, it wasnt even that well received back when it was new!

Lords of Shadow 1 was a top tier game and the true best 3D Vania ever.

Ahasverus

I don't see how that was not romantically gothic but ok.

The original 9 CV's were medieval fantasy too.

I can't believe it's 2017 and I'm having this conversation again.

poodaddy

Witcher 3 killing monsters trailer is the best of all time. That trailer was just chilling and incredibly gripping. LOS2 trailer might as well have been for a Dynasty Warriors game; just power fantasy drivel aimed for a teenage male audience.

zenspider

Lament aged like a 15 year old milk carton. Hell, it wasnt even that well received back when it was new!

Playing it now actually. I think it's still really good. Combat is fun, models, lighting and textures are superb, animations are a bit off, the level design is straight forward with optional exploration which I appreciate, and it has one of the best OSTs.

LoS really felt like it's "Castlevania for Western audiences".

I can see LoI being divisive with some of it's design decisions like a fixed camera and the real-time item menu (I personally dig both), but LoS threw out the baby with the bathwater. It's a really well polished, competent God of War-like with strange Shadow of the Colossus bosses.

Combat in LoI is superior, even if it lacks the spectacle of LoS. I can see exploring being tedious, but honestly it is in SotN as well, but they both have a god-tier soundtrack that makes it well enough. I don't even remember if LoS has music.

Ahasverus

Witcher 3 killing monsters trailer is the best of all time. That trailer was just chilling and incredibly gripping. LOS2 trailer might as well have been for a Dynasty Warriors game; just power fantasy drivel aimed for a teenage male audience.
Not if you played the first game, the trailer really resonates if you know what it is about.

Grisby

Indeed. Lords of shadow has one of the best soundtracks in the series despite the weird fanboy backlash it got for being too "western".

That waterfalls of agharta track is mindshatteringly great music.
For me, it's up there with Nier as one of the greatest OST's of the last generation.

It's ok poodaddy. I have enough teenage male left in me for the both of us.

SilentRob

Are you seriously implying Witcher 3 is not "power fantasy drivel aimed for a teenage male audience"? o0 Especially that trailer you mentioned. It's awesome, unbeatable Geralt saving a damsel in distress from two random bandits with a cheesy one-liner at the end. I don't say it's a bad thing. Just pretty much exactly what you criticize LOS2 for.

And yes. That LOS2 trailer is one of the best trailers of all time and got me SO hyped.

:(

pa22word

Are you seriously implying Witcher 3 is not "power fantasy drivel aimed for a teenage male audience"? o0 Especially that trailer you mentioned. It's awesome, unbeatable Geralt saving a damsel in distress from two random bandits with a cheesy one-liner at the end. I don't say it's a bad thing. Just pretty much exactly what you criticize LOS2 for.

And yes. That LOS2 trailer is one of the best trailers of all time and got me SO hyped.

:(
Yeah I was about to say....

That witcher 3 trailer is built from exactly the same mold. It's okay, you don't like los2. A lot of people don't, including most of the people that actually played the game. Just say that, you don't need to resort to weird contortions of reality to support the argument that los2 is a mediocre at best game. The game itself makes that argument better than anyone could :p

Yeah that trailer got me really excited, but
This is the best Lords of Shadow 2 trailer IMO. Too bad the game didn't deliver. The first one was great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zT7CE_feTzQ
this is indeed the best Lords Of Shadow 2 trailer, the lines, the graphics, the delivery, the combat shown, everything is just top notch. I loved every bit of it.

I am not ignorant of LoS.2 faults, but I would be lying if I said I don't love the hell out of that game, It is one of my favorite games ever despite its shortcomings. Playing as Dracula was like a dream come true, and it was glorious.

Corpsepyre

Banned
The game had great trailers throughout. The E3 trailer was epic as fuck with that score as well. Speaking of the game, it's a weirddddd title. Almost like two different teams made it with two wholly different agendas and budgets. The Castle parts, along with the bosses, are fucking gooooood, but the modern day bullshit wears it down a lot. Not sure what happened here. I keep going back to the game though. There's just something about it.

Oh and the PC version is fucking sick. Almost feels like a generation ahead from the console ones.

pa22word

The game had great trailers throughout. The E3 trailer was epic as fuck with that score as well. Speaking of the game, it's a weirddddd title. Almost like two different teams made it with two wholly different agendas and budgets. The Castle parts, along with the bosses, are fucking gooooood, but the modern day bullshit wears it down a lot. Not sure what happened here. I keep going back to the game though. There's just something about it.

Oh and the PC version is fucking sick. Almost feels like a generation ahead from the console ones.

Oh dude that was true for los1 as well. A lot of people don't really remember as well now but los 1 ran kind of like total trash on consoles, with cutscenes locked to like 20fps because the game was murdering the systems so much. I mean los1 is one of the best Looking games of last gen and all but it was obviously clear that the systems were old and needed to be replaced by that point. The PC version fixed all of this and ran like a dream on nearly any rig of the time. It was light years away from the console versions in basically every way.

Croash

It still hurts like hell, one of my biggest disappointments. :'(

What an epic trailer! I don't need to watch it, I already hear the music in my head.

I also love LoS 1's E3 2010 Trailer that makes the game feel like it's as big as the Lord of the Rings trilogy or something.

This one: https://youtu.be/RGAy6jrRUaY
I used to watch it for fun even after getting the first game's Platinum Trophy. Getting chills at 2:16, with the music and actors names. Nnngg it's so good ahhh why did you make this thread! Must listen to OST again!

dugdug

Banned
Not kidding, this trailer gives me chills every time.

The game sucks, but that soundtrack is GOD TIER.

OAdO6cC.jpg

No...lol No...

Really? This is real?

I remember it well! It was in Geoff Keighley and GT's E3-pre-show. I remember seeing it and having it get me so excited for the show ahead. I didn'the play the original game but set out to do so soon after with how excited I was about that trailer.

The alucard ending was really awesome.

Skulldead

No...lol No...

Really? This is real?

yeppppp

this is insane how bad the level design was overall.

My biggest grip was the spacing. After the first amazing game, I never thought they could create such a boring game. The force stealth section are the worse, and they happen way to often.

LowParry

Going back listening to the OST, I think I need to go through both games again (PC). The story as a whole is fantastic. Just some odd choices for an end and other part but damn, the story of Gaberiel is good. And Zobek.

Synless

Was this series ever planned to have a third console entry? I felt the 2nd game ended too abruptly.

Was this series ever planned to have a third console entry? I felt the 2nd game ended too abruptly.
There was always three games planned. Don't forget Mirror of Fate in the middle.

My biggest disappointment was how they sold LoS2 as the conclusion to the LoS saga and that ending was anything but. They didn't resolved shit!
The supposed artifact Dracula has always wanted is in his hands and he just walks into the sunrise with his son and does nothing with it
. Ugh.

Reallink

I don't know about underrated as being at E3 that year, I remember it won a shit ton of Best of E3 awards

Astral Dog

Lords of Shadow 1 doesn't feel like "Castlevania" to me, ever, at least LoS2 tries at parts.thats the biggest failing of the series (other than uneven quality of course
Damn i was so hyped

Top Bottom