• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Hardware Sales update!

Breaking it down by region, the figures are as follows.

North America: 10.1 million units
Europe: 3.9 million units
Asia Pacific: 1.5 million units

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
I quit caring about hardware sales last year

DSN2K

XboxGamers said:
Asia Pacific: 1.5 million units

3bs_meter.gif

----

Banned
xsarien said:
They're polishing those numbers very nicely. That number includes Japan, as well as a host of other countries.

Spin city.
Really Asia includes Japan in addition to other countries? You heard it here first. How is it spin to refer to sales in Asia in addition to North America and Europe? These things are known as continents and it makes sense to refer to their numbers in such terms. It wouldn't make sense to refer to everything else in terms of continents and refer to Japan by itself.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
---- said:
Really Asia includes Japan in addition to other countries? You heard it here first. How is it spin to refer to sales in Asia in addition to North America and Europe? These things are known as continents and it makes sense to refer to their numbers in such terms. It wouldn't make sense to refer to everything else in terms of continents and refer to Japan by itself.

Oh come on!
Never before have I heard refrence to asia pacific, MS just wanted to avoid calling out the japan only numbers!

cvxfreak

1.5 Million in Asia Pacific eh?

So 1.0 Million comes from South Korea, Hong Kong, Singapore, Australia and New Zealand (I'm being nice with Xbox in Japan and giving it 500K instead of 400K).

We know the Xbox is less than 100K in South Korea (70K?). But we'll just round it off. Australia is something like 400K? 600K between the rest?

----

Banned
Suikoguy said:
Oh come on!
Never before have I heard refrence to asia pacific, MS just wanted to avoid calling out the japan only numbers!
It makes absolutely no sense to refer to sales numbers in terms of North America, Europe, and Japan. 2 continents and 1 country? That makes no sense whatsoever. If MS made reference to individual countries like US, Canada, etc. and then said Asia-Pacific, that would be spin. This is not spin. This makes sense. It is a regional report, not a country by country report.

These numbers are from the quarterly results report, so these are shipment numbers I'm assuming as well.

cvxfreak

Anyone remember when NOE confirmed the GC was over 3 Million in Europe some months ago? That would mean Xbox's European lead is only at about 900,000 or lower...

Maybe it's a bad idea to mention other systems.

jarrod

Banned
Microsoft used "Asia/Pacific" in their numbers last year, and actually I remember it being 1.5 million then. :/

Also, these are shipped figures, not sold. The actual Asia/Pacific XBox userbase is likely just under a million (400k JP, 500k AU/NZ, 70k Korea and maybe 10k Hong Kong).

Europe numbers are lower than I expected (given how the XBox evagelists trumpet the UK figures around here and always point to the region's intagible yet somehow significany lead over GC), America seems right on target though. I wouldn't be surprised if there were a million consoles sold in Canada.

jarrod

Banned
DrLazy said:
Intrestingly I believe Nintendo includes Australia in it's PAL numbers. And around and around we go.
So does Sony. So did Sega. Given that AU's a PAL region, wouldn't that make sense after all? ;)

Then again, it'd look far worse for Microsoft to say:

PAL: 4,600,000
Asia: 700,000

Grubdog

Banned
DrLazy said:
Intrestingly I believe Nintendo includes Australia in it's PAL numbers. And around and around we go.
Nintendo, Australia? Nintendo hardly even exist over here, they've sold a few thousand GameCubes, not a big enough amount to even mention it in relation to worldwide sales. Put that straw back.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
DrLazy said:

Well Aussie is a PAL territory as is NZ, but I don't think Nintendo have ever heard of NZ anyway.......

Rhindle

MS groups sales by geographic region rather than by television broadcasting encoding technology standard?

Why ... the rotten thieving scoundrels.

PS. While you're straightening them out, remember to make them group sales revenues in France into a separate SECAM region, like all other reputable corporations do.

AniHawk

Xbox sell through:

Japan: 425,000
Australia: 450,000
Korea: nearing 100,000
all other areas: ???
Total: Probably 1.1 million. Isn't hard to believe there's another 400k Xboxes somewhere out there.

jarrod

Banned
Rhindle said:
MS groups sales by geographic region rather than by television broadcasting encoding technology standard?

Come now, it's pretty clear why they're doing it... besides, throwing Australia in the same geographic region as Japan is stretching it a bit. They're classified with different continents after all.

dorio

Banned
I can't believe all the vitriol directed at these guys just because they decided to include Australia in the Asia region. Companies do this all the time, get over it.

Chopin Trusty Balls

First casualty in the war on idioticy.
The rest of Asias sales do matter a bit more,they shipped 60K in Singapore(6 Mio nation) alone.

North America includes Canada and Mexico.

jarrod

Banned
dorio said:
I can't believe all the vitriol directed at these guys just because they decided to include Australia in the Asia region. Companies do this all the time, get over it.
I'd say it's more amusement than "vitriol" but I guess interpretation is subjective. And besides MS, which game console manufactures have included Australia with Asia rather than PAL? Do you think there's more communication between MS Sydney and MS London or MS Tokyo? The reasoning for this is crystal clear...

AniHawk said:
Xbox sell through:

Japan: 425,000

...nothing wrong with that either and it's hardly the fisrt time MS made "convienent" groupings. In fact, in the other MS finacial report thread it came out that MS stuck their Mac OS Office division in with H&E to help offset XBox losses. They're just trying to make things look as good as possible, like any company.

Rhindle

jarrod said:
Come now, it's pretty clear why they're doing it... besides, throwing Australia in the same geographic region as Japan is stretching it a bit. They're classified with different continents after all.
You should now better, jarrod.

1. All MS sales are classified into Americas, EMEA (Europe, Middle East and Africa) and Asia Pacific.

2. They have been so classified since long before anyone conceived of the Xbox.

3. Most multinationals use the same regional accounting classification convention.

Shompola

Banned
jarrod, damn you're pathetic. Are you this stubborn in real life as well? I guess you have no real friends. Fucking pathetic.

Alcibiades

come on people, admit it, "Asia/Pacific", that's pretty hilarious Microsoft is doing that (XBox-related or not), but it's not like anything is stopping them from outright stating "Japanese" sales of their XBox console (the 2nd biggest videogame market)...

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Probably, but in all fairness it wasn't until recently that non-Japanese Asian regions became relevant in terms of console sales. And they're likely to grow more relevant in future.
My question is just if Australia is counted twice for Europe/Pal and Asia/Pacific given that it fits both regions by definition...

I have some doubts about 1.5M sellthrough regardless though :p

AniHawk

Fafalada said:
Probably, but in all fairness it wasn't until recently that non-Japanese Asian regions became relevant in terms of console sales. And they're likely to grow more relevant in future.
My question is just if Australia is counted twice for Europe/Pal and Asia/Pacific given that it fits both regions by definition...

I have some doubts about 1.5M sellthrough regardless though :p

It's NOT sellthrough, it's shipped.

Chittagong

Gold Member
This is retarded. Most of multinational conglomerates use the Americas / EMEA / APAC classification to arrange their business and APAC includes Japan as well as Australia, however poorly it fits the console business.

If you build your organization around a certain geographical definition, you won't and can't change it for your annual report to just to prevent OMFG LOLLOL Teh B1AAZZ M$ 3vil!!!!11!one one!!111s in GAF.

Only thing such stupidity would result in is irritating inverstors and getting Microsoft slapped by trade exchange officials.

Prine

Banned
Rhindle said:

hehe. Exactly

open_mouth_

insert_foot_
I think Xbox will reach 30mil + Xboxes by the end of its lifespan (2006-07) which isn't too shabby for a 1st time effort.

nubbe

open_mouth_ said:
I think Xbox will reach 30mil + Xboxes by the end of its lifespan (2006-07) which isn't too shabby for a 1st time effort.
If you ignore that they lost billions upon billions to reach that point then.. no, it’s not that shabby at all.

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
I don't think the Xbox will be around in 2007. MS loses too much money on it. After Xbox 2 comes out I think you'll see Xbox 1 disappear from shelves pretty quickly.

Top Bottom