• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Hardware Sales update!

XboxGamers said:
Breaking it down by region, the figures are as follows.

North America: 10.1 million units
Europe: 3.9 million units
Asia Pacific: 1.5 million units

1) Funny, I posted this hours before here. but I went to sleep, so nahh: http://forums.gaming-age.com/showthread.php?t=7040&page=2

2) It seems people's assumption that Xbox is doing as well in Europe as the US has been completely debunked. In addition, it clearly is not completely destroying the GC there as people have been stating. Those Europe numbers are more than a little week.

I think Xbox will reach 30mil + Xboxes by the end of its lifespan (2006-07) which isn't too shabby for a 1st time effort.

I think it will fall a few million short of that.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
open_mouth_ said:
I think Xbox will reach 30mil + Xboxes by the end of its lifespan (2006-07) which isn't too shabby for a 1st time effort.

I think you're overestimating, but my main question is... not a shabby 1st time effort compared to which console manufacturer that had a system out for a full generation?

open_mouth_

insert_foot_
I predict that they will drop the price each year from $175 to $149, then $129 and finally $99 until they completely cease production about a year or two after the launch of Xenon. Much like the PSOne, the Xbox will reach a surprisingly wide audience even after Xenon launches because it'll be seen as a valuable purchase for less than $150, especially with all the cheap games available. The Xbox is starting to reach "Sega Genesis" levels, not necessarily in terms of relative sales to the competition, but in terms of mindshare and competitive status in the NA market versus Sony (Nintendo in the SNES days), which is a very good sign going into next gen.

An ending user base of close to 30 mil with 2-3 million Xbox live subscribers is a great 1st achievement by Microsoft, imo, regardless of what the competition has done recently or in the past. A large portion of those Live users will likely jump on board Xenon within the 1st year giving the new system great momentum early on, which, as most of us know, is one of the main keys to becoming a leader in this industry as it tends to have a snowball effect on consumers, retailers, developers, and publishers. Microsoft has positioned itself to really go head-to-head with Sony next gen and finally turn a profit (towards the latter half of next gen) in this highly competitive, but highly lucrative industry, which has already surpassed the film industry in revenues. There'll be even more areas for profits next-gen because in addition to peripherals and games, there will be room to make extra cash on services like online play, additional game content, and entertainment content delivery (Movies, Music, etc.). Microsoft knows what's at stake, and you know they're loading up for next-gen... BIG TIME.

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
Fleming said:
Btw,how much did Nintendo ship by March?

And I'll reitterate, if Xbox 2 launches in the Fall of 2005 in the US then the Xbox 1 will be off of store shelves 6-12 months later (or sooner if enough games come out to fill up the space). These stores are already too crowded.

Even if there was enough shelf space it would make no sense for MS to keep the Xbox 1 on the market as a budget console. They are already losing a ton of money on it. They will release the Xbox 2 at a $300 retail price and possibly lose some money on it but it won't be anywhere near the amount that they are losing now with Xbox 1 selling at $149 or less. In short, MS home entertainment division will never turn a profit as long as Xbox 1 is on the market holding them back. MS will cut their loses and move forward full steam ahead with the Xbox 2.

Also, if the fall 2005 launch for Xbox 2 is correct then there is no way that Xbox 1 shipments will exceed 25-26 million IMO.

jedimike

efralope said:
come on people, admit it, "Asia/Pacific", that's pretty hilarious Microsoft is doing that (XBox-related or not), but it's not like anything is stopping them from outright stating "Japanese" sales of their XBox console (the 2nd biggest videogame market)...

Japan is n ot even close to being the 2nd biggest videogame market.

I don't think the Xbox will be around in 2007. MS loses too much money on it. After Xbox 2 comes out I think you'll see Xbox 1 disappear from shelves pretty quickly.

Xbox manufacturing will certainly be out of production. I seriously doubt that MS will even attempt a PSOne type of retooling. MS is currently losing $25 dollars per Xbox sold... GC is losing $20. I expect that neither manufacturer will support the current consoles once the next ones arrive. Sony however is making money, so I expect them to keep producing PS2's as long as there is demand.

Btw,what was MSs expectations from last year? I think something like 13-16 Mio?
15.5 Mio is ok then.

The original expectation was 14.5-16 Million. MS definitely hit the high side of it. Expectations for the next FY are over 20 Million, which I think is very conservative. For reference Nintendo expected to ship 15.5 million GC by Mar 04 and fell a million short.

wazoo

25$ seems a bit low considering the amount of money they lost this year.

Microsoft would lose 25$ and end up with a multi billion debt whereas Nintendo is losing 20$ and having a profitable business with the GC.

Does not seem plausible.

I see Xbox1 being removed quite fast because of
1/ shifiting support from dev
2/ gamers going on board with the Xenon
3/ Ms want to get rid of its debt

cvxfreak

jedimike said:

Let me guess, the entire continent of Europe is #2? ::rollseyes::

People need to stop saying Japan isn't number when clearly they are. Japan bitch slaps the UK and Australia COMBINED. It's unfair to group a freakin continent against a single island country.

jedimike said:
Xbox manufacturing will certainly be out of production. I seriously doubt that MS will even attempt a PSOne type of retooling. MS is currently losing $25 dollars per Xbox sold... GC is losing $20.

dream on abou that $25 dollar loss figure. Where did you pull it out of? MS is bleeding with each xbox sold (plus game bundles/freebies they throw out).

jedimike

TheGreenGiant said:
dream on abou that $25 dollar loss figure. Where did you pull it out of? MS is bleeding with each xbox sold (plus game bundles/freebies they throw out).

It was in the Wedbush report posted last week.

CrunchyB

jedimike said:
It [$25 loss per xbox] was in the Wedbush report posted last week.

A $25 loss makes NO sense at all. They'd recoup that with one first party game, or two third party titles. Every game after this is profit.
With losses over a billion ($1.000.000.000+) this simply doesn't add up, unless they are spending an obscene amount of money on Live and ads.

jedimike

CrunchyB said:
A $25 loss makes NO sense at all. They'd recoup that with one first party game, or two third party titles. Every game after this is profit.
With losses over a billion ($1.000.000.000+) this simply doesn't add up, unless they are spending an obscene amount of money on Live and ads.

from the financial statement...

"The increase in operating loss in fiscal 2004 was primarily due to $141 million of stock-based compensation expense from the employee stock option transfer program in the second quarter of fiscal 2004 and increased sales of negative margin consoles and costs associated with the next generation console development efforts, partially offset by increased Xbox and Mac Office software sales."

CrunchyB said:

The estimate by Wedbush, was exactly that, an estimate. Based on other sources (notably, Opening the Xbox, which went into detail regarding the contract prices from the heavy hitters (intel, nvidia, DVD, HD,etc, as well as some other analysts reports), the cost are probably a bit higher.

Given that Microsoft's loss seem to be much more than the shipments of their hardware, the loss they're taking on the hardware is only a small part of their overall losses. This is based on the fact that they were able to lose $1.1billion on revenue of $499 million. Consider that their revenue includes hardware, first party software, royalties from 3rd party software, and Live subscriptions, they seem to have been able to lose at least ~4 times more money than thier hardware sold for. Looking at it another way, if they gave away the hardware for free, their losses probably would have only increased by only ~$300 million or so (assuming the same hardware sales, except for the fact that we all would have taken dozens of free xboxes :) )

jarrod

Banned
Rhindle said:
You should now better, jarrod.

1. All MS sales are classified into Americas, EMEA (Europe, Middle East and Africa) and Asia Pacific.

2. They have been so classified since long before anyone conceived of the Xbox.

3. Most multinationals use the same regional accounting classification convention.
America/EMEA/ASia Pacific might be stadard for Microsoft but it certainly isn't for consumer electronics, and games specifically. Just look at finalcials for SCE, Nintendo, Sega Sammy, EA, UbiSoft, Activision, Capcom, Konami or any other multinational in this industry.

Shompola said:
jarrod, damn you're pathetic. Are you this stubborn in real life as well? I guess you have no real friends. Fucking pathetic.
Grow up.

jedimike said:
We've gone throught this before. It ranks ahead of the UK (3rd ) by a significant margin.

jedimike said:
Xbox manufacturing will certainly be out of production. I seriously doubt that MS will even attempt a PSOne type of retooling. MS is currently losing $25 dollars per Xbox sold... GC is losing $20.
Where'd you get these figures. You didn't answer me last time you claimed Nintendo was losing $20 per GC.

jedimike

jarrod said:
We've gone throught this before. It ranks ahead of the UK (3rd ) by a significant margin.

First of all, he is talking about a videogame market. Japan as a country might be leading the UK (I say might because UK was consistently outselling Japan on a weekly basis, but we don't get UK hardware figures anymore). However, Europe > Asia. In fact, the European market is expected to be bigger than the US market by 2008.

Where'd you get these figures. You didn't answer me last time you claimed Nintendo was losing $20 per GC.

I don't recall you ever asking... but it is in the Wedbush report. I believe you can still download it from the yahoo videogamestockgroup.

Deg

Banned
jedimike said:
I say might because UK was consistently outselling Japan on a weekly basis

I think you got the wrong way round. Japan outsells the UK on a consitent basis. One peek at the weekly hardware sales reveals this.

Chittagong

Gold Member
jarrod said:
America/EMEA/ASia Pacific might be stadard for Microsoft but it certainly isn't for consumer electronics, and games specifically. Just look at finalcials for SCE, Nintendo, Sega Sammy, EA, UbiSoft, Activision, Capcom, Konami or any other multinational in this industry.

Those are games business companies. Microsoft is a multi business conglomerate. Look at conglomerates such as Procter & Gamble, Nokia, Hewlett Packard and see how they arrange their business. What I said

Chittagong said:
This is retarded. Most of multinational conglomerates use the Americas / EMEA / APAC classification to arrange their business and APAC includes Japan as well as Australia, however poorly it fits the console business.

jedimike

Deg said:
I think you got the wrong way round. Japan outsells the UK on a consitent basis. One peek at the weekly hardware sales reveals this.

One peek at the weekly console charts shows that Japan is dead... they only sold about 40K worth of consoles. UK was pushing way more than that.

Deg

Banned
jedimike said:
One peek at the weekly console charts shows that Japan is dead... they only sold about 40K worth of consoles. UK was pushing way more than that.

This week:

HARDWARE

1 [SCE] PlayStation 2 - 37,871 (1,498,832)
2 [Nintendo] GameBoy Advance SP - 30,217 (1,471,493)
3 [Nintendo] GameCube - 4,684 (407,303)
4 [Nintendo] GameBoy Advance - 1,891 (160,521)
5 [Sony] PSone - 276 (12,460)
6 [Microsoft] Xbox - 272 (22,235)
7 [Bandai] SwanCrystal - 57 (NA)

Now those PS2 sales alone are bigger than this weeks total UK hardware sales

jedimike

Deg said:
This week:

HARDWARE

1 [SCE] PlayStation 2 - 37,871 (1,498,832)
3 [Nintendo] GameCube - 4,684 (407,303)
6 [Microsoft] Xbox - 272 (22,235)

Like I said is about 40K

Now those PS2 sales alone are bigger than this weeks total UK hardware sales

got a link?

jedimike said:

Jedi,

I know you know this, but other seem to be confused.

UK <> Europe
UK ~= 1/3 Europe

Japan weekly sales ~= 40k+ on a slow week
UK weekly sales ~= 20k- on a regular week

However, if you factor in the rest of Europe, Japan has been in 3rd for some time.
You should consider, though, that Japan seems to have some economic indicators that point to positive growth and despite the downturn over the past 18+ months, Japan will regain much of thier lost sales and then some. Of course, as you said, Europe is growing MUCH faster.

jedimike

I just want to see these weekly UK charts. AFAIK, we haven't been getting these for over a year.

edit: Let's assume that UK does in fact equal 1/3rd of European sales.

2003 total console sales

Europe = 2.458 Billion (in $) /3 = 819 Million
Japan = 857 Million (in $)

So last year Japan was greater than Uk by a whopping 38 million dollars

jarrod

Banned
jedimike said:
In fact, the European market is expected to be bigger than the US market by 2008.
It already is for Sony actually. Only Nintendo and Microsoft seem to be lagging in the region.

Chittagong said:
Those are games business companies. Microsoft is a multi business conglomerate. Look at conglomerates such as Procter & Gamble, Nokia, Hewlett Packard and see how they arrange their business. What I said
So... why wouldn't a division like MGS conform to industry standards? SCE does it...

jedimike said:
Like I said is about 40K
Why discount GBA? Because it doubles your figures?

jedimike said:
I don't recall you ever asking... but it is in the Wedbush report. I believe you can still download it from the yahoo videogamestockgroup.
I asked in the other thread... specifically about the $20 GC loss per unit. Where's did that figure come from?

jedimike

jarrod said:
Why discount GBA? Because it doubles your figures?

GBA is no console.

I asked in the other thread... specifically about the $20 GC loss per unit. Where's did that figure come from?

And I could have sworn I answered your question and even told you where to get the report...

From the report...

We estimate that Sony’s production costs are approximately $130 per unit, compared to Microsoft’s $175 per unit and Nintendo’s $120 per unit.

jarrod said:
It already is for Sony actually. Only Nintendo and Microsoft seem to be lagging in the region.

Not quite yet.

jarrod said:

It came from the wedbush report he mentioned. However, they were ESTIMATES

They estimates were:

GC: $120 / unit
PS2: $130 / unit
Xbox: $175 / unit

Yes, just like all the sales figues we ever see are estimates, as well. As for XBOX 1 leaving store shelves 6-12 months after Xenon, I doubt it. It could well be actively sold for several years after the advent of MS' next gen console. And as for XBOX not destroying GC in Europe, look at the numbers -- it's approximately in the same position it is, relative to GC, in North America. Not 'destroying' GC but clearly pulling away.

open_mouth_

insert_foot_
They are estimates, but who says only Sony and Nintendo's consoles drop in manufacturing costs and Microsoft's don't??? Alot of the Xbox parts have droppped dramatically in price since it's inception.

jarrod

Banned
jedimike said:
GBA is no console.
No, but it's a part of this industry none the less. Andindustry that's still significantly larger in Japan the UK, despite it's continual slide. It's also worth noting that Japan's at least six months to a year ahead of the UK in terms of platform lifecycles, meaning hardware will reach it's peak sooner. Comparing installed bases or software sales though, and it's easy to see Japan is ahead.

Also, on the last forum Kobun linked to an article showing JP's notable lead over the UK (and not much behind Europe as a whole surpisingly). Maybe he'll save the day again?

jedimike said:
And I could have sworn I answered your question and even told you where to get the report...

From the report...
Thanks, but those estimates seem a little high for Gamecube. The costs for the console itself (no packaging/controller) dropped to $99 for manufacturing/components over a year and a half ago when Nintendo switched production lines to China and Perrin mentioned their loss was essentially negligible last fall when they dropped to the $99 MSRP. A $20 loss on GC seems almost like the worst case scenario based off the info we have, while a $25 loss on XBox looks like the best case scenario. :/

Well, in MS' case, it's very difficult to drop in production price so easily with X1... Nintendo's painted themselves into a sort of similar position, but really mostly because the system is selling so low. Sony is the only one in a position to drop faster without incurring a loss.

jarrod

Banned
MightyHedgehog said:
Yes, just like all the sales figues we ever see are esitmates, as well. As for XBOX 1 leaving store shelves 6-12 months after Xenon, I doubt it. It could well be actively sold for several years after the advent of MS' next gen console. And as for XBOX not destroying GC in Europe, look at the numbers -- it's approximately in the same position it is, relative to GC, in North America. Not 'destroying' GC but clearly pulling away.
Part of the reason for Microsoft truncating XBox's lifespan and getting Xenon out there is too get XBox off shelves. The development community is already dropping the platform, retail will follow and sooner than you think... Microsoft wants to switch over from their loss taker as soon as possible. Looking at their 2005 lineup (in comparison to Sony or Nintendo) and you can see where the resources are going already...

jarrod

Banned
MightyHedgehog said:
Maybe, but I'm not convinced that it will be gone from retail lists so quickly.
No, retail will want to sell their inventory but I doubt MS will continue shipments on the same scale or fight for shelf space. XBox in 2005 is going to be like N64 in 2001.

Alcibiades

jedimike said:
Hey at least I have facts and hard numbers backing my statements ;)

do you have facts and hard numbers supporting your assertion that Nintendo loses $20 a GCN?

I'd love to see them...

Deg

Banned
jedimike said:
Hey at least I have facts and hard numbers backing my statements ;)

You mean like 'let me make some up' facts and 'no' numbers :p

Hint: Check gameindustry.biz and CVG for UK numbers. There's a guy posting around who gets the figures weekly.

open_mouth_ said:
They are estimates, but who says only Sony and Nintendo's consoles drop in manufacturing costs and Microsoft's don't??? Alot of the Xbox parts have droppped dramatically in price since it's inception.

I can't speak towards Nintendo's cost, but here's the difference between Sony & Microsoft's cost:

Sony fabricates thier own chips and the systems themselves. They are able to continually lower cost and don't have to pay a middle man. They started out by making the EE&GS on seperate chips, and over time have moved to 65nm process as well as combining both chips on a single die resulting in huge savings (and something MS couldn't possibly due with the INTEL chip & the NVIDIA card). They also produce their own IO chip and have really scaled down the cost as it was/is the PSone processor.

vs.

Microsoft who contracted the production of their processor to Intel and signed a contract for how many and at what price they would pay for the processors in each year of the systems life. They did the same for the NVidia chip, as well as a variety of other components. The price goes down each year, but not nearly as rapidly as Sony's costs. They also have their production handled by Flextronics who they pay to assemble the systems. That worked well for them this generation for the most part, however, in the large scale they would need to bite the bullet and create their own production lines and make the systems themselves to lower the cost.

Finally, you've got the famous scales of economies. Given that Sony pumps out 4 times the volume in hardware each year (way more if you start to consider their huge consumer electronics business, PSOne & soon PSP), they are able to negotiate better deals for the various components (screws, casing, DVD drives, etc). The more you buy, the cheaper you can buy it for.

jedimike

jarrod said:
No, but it's a part of this industry none the less. Andindustry that's still significantly larger in Japan the UK, despite it's continual slide. It's also worth noting that Japan's at least six months to a year ahead of the UK in terms of platform lifecycles, meaning hardware will reach it's peak sooner. Comparing installed bases or software sales though, and it's easy to see Japan is ahead.

Well if you want to include handhelds then you might as well include PC games to be consistent with the "industry"...Japan's breakdown of sales is 74% console, 17% handheld, and 9%PC. The European market is about 45% pc games, 48% console and 7% handheld.

This is basically how it would breakdown...

Console sales - Japan=UK
Handheld - Japan >>UK
PC games - UK >>>>>>>Japan

The gaming market overall is stronger in the UK than it is in Japan. If we limit it to consoles, Japan has a narrow lead. Add in handhelds and Japan is better yet. It's just not the juggernaut that everyone remembers it being. There was a point in this generation that Japan was better than all of Europe.

jedimike

Deg said:
You mean like 'let me make some up' facts and 'no' numbers :p

Hint: Check gameindustry.biz and CVG for UK numbers. There's a guy posting around who gets the figures weekly.

BS... nothing escapes GAF. If UK hardware numbers existed, they would have been here.

jedimike said:
Well if you want to include handhelds then you might as well include PC games to be consistent with the "industry"...Japan's breakdown of sales is 74% console, 17% handheld, and 9%PC. The European market is about 45% pc games, 48% console and 7% handheld.

Console sales - Japan=UK
Handheld - Japan >>UK

The gaming market overall is stronger in the UK than it is in Japan. If we limit it to consoles, Japan has a narrow lead. Add in handhelds and Japan is better yet. It's just not the juggernaut that everyone remembers it being. There was a point in this generation that Japan was better than all of Europe.

Jedi, are you meaning Europe when you say UK? If not, Japan has a HUGE lead over the UK in consoles. It's not even close. Especially when you consider the software market. Japan is a year ahead in the console cycle and so it's hardware / software sales reflect that.

jedimike said:
BS... nothing escapes GAF. If UK hardware numbers existed, they would have been here.

Some people do have these numbers :) I won't say any names.

And BTW, ALOT escapes GAF. Alot of people would be in trouble if they posted what happens in private conversations here.

jarrod

Banned
Nintendo works with NEC on production/manufacturing chiefly I believe (Nintendo helped fund the building of some huge NEC plant iirc) so they outsource as well. But unlike Microsoft, they made deals with technology parters (IBM, ATi, Matsushitsa) that involve profit sharing on consoles rather simply paying a set fee for components (which is far less risky). They not eating huge costs like MS but they're not making huge savings from internal maufacturing like Sony either... and next generation Microsoft seems to be "following their lead" when it comes to console design philosophies.

jedimike

sonycowboy said:
Jedi, are you meaning Europe when you say UK? If not, Japan has a HUGE lead over the UK in consoles. It's not even close. Especially when you consider the software market. Japan is a year ahead in the console cycle and so it's hardware / software sales reflect that.

I'm not talking overall... I'm talking on a week to week basis right now.

jarrod

Banned
jedimike said:

Console sales - Japan=UK
Handheld - Japan >>UK

Well, consoles in Japan alone are still way ahead of the UK, unless you've got the exact figures to show otherwise. And if you stretch into open markets like PC for gaming, how about throwing in mobile and amusement. ;)

Then again, let's look at software sales. How many million sellers have there been in the UK this generation?

jedimike

jarrod said:
Show us those "right now" figures then.

Dude, I would love to... I already showed you the 2003 figures, which showed Japan ahead of UK by a little bit (granted this is using sonycowboy's 1/3 estimate). Considering that Japan is still declining and UK is still growing, it's not hard to imagine UK besting Japan... but nobody wants to cough up the weekly UK figures :(

Top Bottom