• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Hardware Sales update!

jarrod

Banned
jedimike said:
Dude, I would love to... I already showed you the 2003 figures, which showed Japan ahead of UK by a little bit (granted this is using sonycowboy's 1/3 estimate). Considering that Japan is still declining and UK is still growing, it's not hard to imagine UK besting Japan... but nobody wants to cough up the weekly UK figures :(
Actually no, Japan was a growth market for the first half of 2004. I haven't seen any reports indicating UK growth over the same period though, do you have any?

Culex

Banned
jarrod said:
Actually no, Japan was a growth market for the first half of 2004. I haven't seen any reports indicating UK growth over the same period though, do you have any?

Yep, Japan grew 7.7% for the first half.

wazoo

week to week basis means nothing when there is way more than 10M ps2 (closer to 20M) in Japan and 3/4M ps2 in UK.

jedimike

jarrod said:

Actually they (Wedbush) expects an 8% growth for Japan, 11% for US, and 20% for Europe for calendar year 2004.

You should get this report jarrod... lots of interesting stuff to read. I can email it to you when I get home if you want.

wazoo said:
week to week basis means nothing when there is way more than 10M ps2 (closer to 20M) in Japan and 3/4M ps2 in UK.

HUH???

Methinks you have no idea what you're talking about.

PS2 shipments:
-----------------------------------------------
2004/03/31 71.30 million units (Japan: 16.98 million*/ USA: 29.53 million/ Europe: 24.79 million)

BTW: Sony will announce shipments next week :) I'm expecting the number to go up to 75 million units worldwide.

jarrod

Banned
wazoo said:
Software sales reflect that also. Game platforms just have a much larger audience in Japan than the UK, it's that simple.

jarrod

Banned
jedimike said:
Actually they (Wedbush) expects an 8% growth for Japan, 11% for US, and 20% for Europe for calendar year 2004.

You should get this report jarrod... lots of interesting stuff to read. I can email it to you when I get home if you want.
Yes please. :)

Prine said:
I do know that Sony make more money from Europe than Japan. For those who didnt know ;)
I'm not so sure, they move far more hardware units in Europe (and have since PS1) but software sales haven't kept pace with that. Then again, directly comparing a poulation of 127 million to a poulation of over 6 billion seems a bit over the top. Both popluations are actually shrinking though...

wazoo

sonycowboy said:
HUH???

Methinks you have no idea what you're talking about.

PS2 shipments:
-----------------------------------------------
2004/03/31 71.30 million units (Japan: 16.98 million*/ USA: 29.53 million/ Europe: 24.79 million)

BTW: Sony will announce shipments next week :) I'm expecting the number to go up to 75 million units worldwide.

What is the problem ? Ok, I correct my numbers. Japan is 17M (i was right) and Uk should be at 6/7M (25-30% of the Euro market). Japan is twice UK at least.

Prine

Banned
jarrod said:
I'm not so sure, they move far more hardware units in Europe (and have since PS1) but software sales haven't kept pace with that. Then again, directly comparing a poulation of 127 million to a poulation of over 6 billion seems a bit over the top. Both popluations are actually shrinking though...

Nah, Sony do make more money in Europe, im sure i read an article on it. Sonycowboy, can you confirm this? Sony making more money in EU that is.

jarrod

Banned
Deg said:
Sony as a publisher are far more successful in Europe than the US or Japan. Eye TOy and Getaway are a testament to that.
Possibly (I think GT moves more in Europe too) but Sony as a publisher isn't the market at large. Look at Nintendo, Europe is by far their weakest region and they're the 2nd largest software publisher worldwide....

Deg said:
Sony as a publisher are far more successful in Europe than the US or Japan. Eye TOy and Getaway are a testament to that.

Those two are horrible examples. Eye-Toy was GIVEN away in bundles to help it achieve the obscene numbers it has. The Getaway was modeled on London for goodesss sakes, I think that would appeal to the European market.

Given that Sony has some huge western developed licenses, (J&D, R&C, Twisted Metal, ATV Offroad Fury, Getaway, SOCOM, EyeToy, & even Sly) they do better in the west than the east overall, however the US is Sony's strongest overall region, although given Europe's growth, that may not be true for much longer.

Deg

Banned
sonycowboy said:
Those two are horrible examples. Eye-Toy was GIVEN away in bundles to help it achieve the obscene numbers it has. The Getaway was modeled on London for goodesss sakes, I think that would appeal to the European market.

Eyetoy still counts as sold as they were never any official bundles :p Getaway was much bigger in Europe compared to elsewhere.

Flatbread

sonycowboy said:
The estimate by Wedbush, was exactly that, an estimate. Based on other sources (notably, Opening the Xbox, which went into detail regarding the contract prices from the heavy hitters (intel, nvidia, DVD, HD,etc, as well as some other analysts reports), the cost are probably a bit higher.

Given that Microsoft's loss seem to be much more than the shipments of their hardware, the loss they're taking on the hardware is only a small part of their overall losses. This is based on the fact that they were able to lose $1.1billion on revenue of $499 million. Consider that their revenue includes hardware, first party software, royalties from 3rd party software, and Live subscriptions, they seem to have been able to lose at least ~4 times more money than thier hardware sold for. Looking at it another way, if they gave away the hardware for free, their losses probably would have only increased by only ~$300 million or so (assuming the same hardware sales, except for the fact that we all would have taken dozens of free xboxes :) )

Isnt the 1.1 billion for the entire home and entertainment division, not just the xbox. This includes all pc sales, busines and entertainment products, and that tv division that is responsible for disasters like webtv. Anyway its not broken down for us so we can see what the xbox is actually losing, but you say there losing 4 times what they are making in hardware sold as if its entire loss is from the xbox.

Atleast jedimike gave the amount of each xbox from an independent source, wedbush group. I love how the interpretations are greater/less depending on how it makes there favorite/least favorite console appear.

Correct me if im wrong, but that $150 is not what MS sold to the retailers for, but what its selling to the consumer. If they sold it to the retailer for 130 bucks, there losing 45 dollars, not 25 for each console sold.

Top Bottom