• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COD Ghosts Xbox One offline (2 weeks before launch) not possible without Live?

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
That's not quite right. Obviously any time-based DRM lock would have the software check with the OS how long it has been since the console was last online.
It may be that the console-level DRM is off, but there is a software-level option that has been applied (whether temporarily or not) to CoD.

Yeah, there seems to be too much stuff possibly at work to really get to the bottom of it for now. Guess it's just time to play the waiting game.

I feel like MS would have immediately been aware of something applied to the game at large, however. Instead of 'looking into it'.

hawk2025

Is "Offline Play Enabled" on all the PS4 launch releases? Or just COD?

Just CoD, as far as the games I currently have go, but obviously we haven't seen the back of a bunch of boxes.

Yeah, there seems to be too much stuff possibly at work to really get to the bottom of it for now. Guess it's just time to play the waiting game.

Yup, it's pretty late in the night, so I'm sure the answer will come some time in the morning. This is very likely to be nothing IMO.

Um....

You do remember the #NoDRM campaign and always online 24hr license checks, right?

So we've been going on a promise that they 180'd and also a we're sorry. There's not much room for benefit of the doubt after it was their original plan in the first place that freaked everyone out...

Yes of course I do.

This is a pre-release console, no? Assuming that the things that are occurring now are some how representative of how they will be at launch is rather absurd.

We know about the ban system and it IS fucked up. If you pay for a game, nobody should have the right to take it away from you. I guess in a society the government can do shit like that through courts but a corporation can not be judge, jury and executioner.

Off the cliff.

PBY

Banned
hIK8GNp.jpg

"Additional storage, hardware, and Xbox Live may be required for setup, some updates and features, including retention of some gameplay settings and information."

What does that mean exactly?

Im just guessing- but I think that means you might have to patch the game. Sounds like standard stuff to me, but I could be wrong.

SRTtoZ

What if every PS4 game with "Offline play enabled" on the back of the box is DRM'd on the Xbox One?

Seriously, why even list 'Offline play enabled' on the back of the box? Its so weird. It seems like that's something an MMO (or any type of always online game) would do, not a normal game like CoD. There definitely could be some shenanigans going on.

wait what

so this whole thing was just a poorly misspelled, worded mistake? Isn't what this whole thread was about that he couldn't play single player without being online?
Seems to me this thread is about people realizing/lamenting that in the online age we live in that we don't own shit if it is tied to an online device or service. The corporations ultimately control everything - even the content we paid for. And it sucks especially if you don't trust the companies involved ( as many here rightfully don't). But to answer your question, yeah, some idiot who got the system two weeks early may or may not be able to play COD single player...

ascii42

hIK8GNp.jpg

"Additional storage, hardware, and Xbox Live may be required for setup, some updates and features, including retention of some gameplay settings and information."

Which part? The updates and features sounds is probably referring to the additional space that patches and DLC will take up. The Xbox live bit sounds to me like cloud storage.

Steel

Banned
hIK8GNp.jpg

Day 1 patch for software-level DRM removal possibly. Good eyes btw.

Foxix Von

Under Xbox Live, it mentions 2-16 players. By it mentions Xbox One, which is one to two players. I believe that indicates offline play.

That only indicates local multiplayer count versus playing in an online match. Just because there is a listing for local play does it not imply offline play. If a consoles' games are going to require an online connection on a per game basis, the nature of those requirements should be stated clearly on the packaging.

f0lken

Then what would need "looking into" by MS guys? They should just say "He doesn't have the final patch", and clear it up.

They could, but if they say that and that is indeed the problem then this is a non-issue, but with all that is happening imagine what would happen if the issue is something different, I am sure they want to be 100% sure before they speak again because their tweets, posts, etc are under the microscope always.

Lynn616

A 24 hour lockout would mean that Ghosts is DRM locked; remember, he already downloaded the day one patch that removed OS level DRM.

We dont know what patch he downloaded. No way to know if he received the DRM removal patch or if the Day One patch is even ready.

Jabba

Banned
The same situation that's been talked about for a while. It's not some secret but a ton of the rumors do add up. Most of this stuff people know but cboat has said almost all of it in his cryptic posts.

cboat has been saying this all. I'm not adding any more to it.

Your attitude should be thought about at this point in time. Surely after all that's happened, since vgleaks, people should see this perspective as a possibilty. I know I do, just haven't said much about it on GAF.

viveks86

Then how did he originally play COD offline?

This is the closest explanation that makes sense so far (relatively speaking).

Right, this is basically the case. The important thing to note is if he played post console ban, he was offline and played single player. This means that the ban didn't lock him out from offline content, AND that ghosts is not DRM locked, and that the 24 hour lockout is what's happening.

BUT his word is shakey on the important detail there.

EDIT: Beaten!

TyrantII

Yes of course I do.

This is a pre-release console, no? Assuming that the things that are occurring now are some how representative of how they will be at launch is rather absurd.

I don't disagree, but you were asking about peoples overreaction, which in context isn't that illogical. Everyone's a bit on edge about this anti-consumer crap because we saw the hands dealt earlier.

Microsoft's job is to ensure people it's 6 feet under. Quickly.

Day 1 patch for software-level DRM removal possibly. Good eyes btw.

How do you get, Day one patch for software-level DRM removal from that vague statement?

I don't disagree, but you were asking about peoples overreaction, which in context isn't that illogical. Everyone's a bit on edge about this anti-consumer crap because we saw the hands dealt earlier.

Microsoft's job is to ensure people it's 6 feet under. Quickly.

Oh please. We are not the mainstream audience, we investigate with a microscope. Every info drop over the next couple weeks is going to be treated with near overreaction. Microsoft received the anti-DRM message loud and clear, do you honestly think ten days from launch they are going to allow this to fester.

It is past midnight, give them the benefit of twelve hours.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
This is the closest explanation that makes sense so far (relatively speaking).

EDIT: Beaten!

You know I already know that because you answered a post of mine about it LOL. I was waiting for his reply before I mentioned it. I keep forgetting how fast this forum moves.

RefigeKru

Banned
Could Penello let slip about the update itself... Say confirm whether or not it contained the 180?

That'd clear things up a bit.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
You should really update the OP with CBOAT's post, Penello's post, and Larry Hyrb's tweet so people don't just enter confused.

I don't think 'imagine' and 'looking into it' will clarify anything lol

Why is it taking Penello so long to say: 'You can play offline with no problem whatsoever, this is just an isolated case because he got his console early and it's an old firmware update.'?

He hasn't though ... Still waiting ...

Top Bottom