• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku: Sony's Giant List of Video Games

DJIzana

http://kotaku.com/sonys-giant-list-of-video-games-1463345943

It's a long interview but totally worth reading. Mentions of localizing Yakuza, Shenmue, FF Type-0 etc.

Jason Schreier said:
Imagine, if you will, a giant list. Maybe it's an Excel file. Or on a whiteboard somewhere in Sony's offices. Maybe it's written on index cards.

On that list is a ton of names that Sony has been compiling based on fan tweets and requests for three months now.Final Fantasy Type-0 is on there. So is Yakuza. And Shenmue. And many, many others, compiled when Sony's Giovanni Corsi started asking fans to submit requests.

Sony's goal: to bring as many of those games as possible to PlayStation platforms and, if they were never released outside of Japan, to bring those games West.

This afternoon at the big PS4 event in Manhattan, I chatted with Sony's Adam Boyes about what the folks behind PlayStation have planned for the future.

Here's a snippet

Schreier: So if I'm Joe Kotaku Reader, and I've been following this for a little while now, I see you guys promising lots of stuff to come, I see Gio's tweets back in August, and I say—what does that mean for me? When am I gonna start seeing results of this stuff? You said you have announcements to make in a few months, and I don't want to take the steam away from those announcements, but is there anything you can say to those

Boyes: It's tough because we're doing a lot of different things that are gonna make pockets of people happy. There's not like one thing that's gonna make everyone's mind explode. The key is to bring people that are fans of certain content great stuff. So if people are fans of Japanese content, you can imagine that's a place we're putting a lot of effort into. People who are fans of the Vita, you can imagine we're putting lots of effort into that. Even with PS4, right, people who weren't necessarily planning on content, or whether there's a PC game we think should come over. There's a lot of things that are happening in that space..

I would say in the next year's time, if you're a fan of Japanese games, if you're a fan of Vita, then hopefully we'll have a little treat for you.

Schreier: With the caveat that this is all up in the air, this is all in negotiations, are there any that you guys have in mind that you would really like to bring over here?

Boyes: I think a lot—we get a ton of requests for Yakuza, a ton of requests for Shenmue. We see the lists. Like everything that people have tweeted Gio, literally we have a person that compiles those lists and prioritizes based on how many requests we've gotten. And I think to date there's well over 10,000 mentions across like forum threads and stuff like that. So those are the ones we're focused on.

But I think the challenge is always that there's so many different intricacies, going into is the creator there, what's the current status, does the publisher have other things going, so it's not as easy as like, 'Why are you taking so long?' There's a lot of things you have to do. And because it is a new thing that we're doing, it's also difficult to sit down with a partner saying, 'Hey, we're gonna do this, it'll be fine.' You can't imagine that the Gearbox team and Randy Pitchford would be like, 'Oh yeah yeah yeah take our baby and just whatever.'

They want to be really involved and they want to be sure we build trust. So I think what you'll see is the first couple will take longer, and then once we get a couple of those games, especially ones localized from Japan over here, then I think you'll see the cadence increase.

McDougles

Worth the click just for this:

ku-xlarge.jpg

Toki767

He only confirms a list. Never says any good news is actually coming from it. Those third party Japanese publishers are pretty stubborn afterall.

Seda

I popped in a snippet of the interview, DJ. There's a lot more worth reading at the link of course.

DJIzana

Glad to see Type-0 is on there but sad no mentions of PSO2. =(

Edit: Thanks, Seda. I just didn't want to clog a huge thread when the interview is all at the site. Thanks!

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Worth the click just for this:

URL]

Code:
This XML file does not appear to have any style information associated with it. The document tree is shown below.
<Error>
<Code>NoSuchKey</Code>
<Message>The specified key does not exist.</Message>
<Key>img/19666b6b8gk7rjpg/ku-xlarge.jpghttp://</Key>
<RequestId>53B167E1A4964771</RequestId>
<HostId>
XuEMR8Z5glOQTUpiEiOZKsWHqoMcn+edM4+MEtvlphYhdd3oornvmOmv654PFvAz
</HostId>
</Error>

Fascinating.

McDougles

Code:
This XML file does not appear to have any style information associated with it. The document tree is shown below.
<Error>
<Code>NoSuchKey</Code>
<Message>The specified key does not exist.</Message>
<Key>img/19666b6b8gk7rjpg/ku-xlarge.jpghttp://</Key>
<RequestId>53B167E1A4964771</RequestId>
<HostId>
XuEMR8Z5glOQTUpiEiOZKsWHqoMcn+edM4+MEtvlphYhdd3oornvmOmv654PFvAz
</HostId>
</Error>

Fascinating.

What did YOU click on? :)

MavFan619

Banned
I'm very optimistic that most if not all of the games will be on my Vita and PS4. They have mentioned many times how attentive they are toward these requests.

dungtongue

Neo Member
And then also going through the most popular stuff - you know when we were building lists there was a massive amount of requests for all kinds of huge IPs that are big in Japan. And those are the ones we're going after, based on the popularity of the requests, so you can imagine there's lots of… whatever games I say, [people are] gonna be like 'Ahh, it's coming!'

Persona 5 confirmed! Thanks Adam.

LTWheels

He does also say that it had to be financially viable.

I would love to see type-0 as much as anyone, but is it too late now? Would it be financially viable to turn it into a vita game, upping the res etc?

Amir0x

Banned
If they get ShenMue I think the legions of old SEGA fans would christen Sony the new holy leader of all grace lol

Please announce more titles for next year sony....I dont want to be just waiting for infamous and the order

really eager to see what naughty dog are up too

I like to think that Sony are pushing and prodding Sega to localise Yakuza 5 in every way they can. Maybe they're offering to fund it, who knows.

Anyway, is Jumping Flash! 3 on that list as well? It needs to be.

SHENMUE 3 CONFIRMED

I'm so glad it's finally happening. I sure have waited a long while!

DJIzana

I would love to see type-0 as much as anyone, but is it too late now? Would it be financially viable to turn it into a vita game, upping the res etc?

It's never too late. Hell, my avatar alone is based off an NPC from that game. It would easily be financially viable for them.

Empty

if you're going to do sega classics i want skies of arcadia vita

also panzer dragoon 1, 2 and saga

and cosmic smash hd

excited for japanese games announcements.

glad theyre actually paying attention and are aiming to please "pockets" of people instead of wanting to please EVERYONE.

MormaPope

Banned
It would be very nice if Sony boosted Japanese software relevance at the start of the upcoming gen. Japanese publishers/developers need to get as much support as possible nowadays.

mekes

Its great to see Sony taking steps like this after promoting PS4/Vita almost strictly for the gamers. If this has some success I already know I would have a lot more fun with those systems. I hope it works and expands over time.

jiggle

It would be very nice if Sony boosted Japanese software relevance at the start of the upcoming gen. Japanese publishers/developers need to get as much support as possible nowadays.

in a perfect world
this could jump start some dead franchises from there

klee123

Not really, as all S-E needs to do is touch up on the assets and put it into HD for PS4/Vita and it should sell well.

If Sony is willing to help fund then even better for S-E.

Top Bottom