• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Super Mario Bros. 3

RedSwirl

After finishing Super Mario Bros. 1 for the first time earlier this year I went ahead over to SMB3 after getting a free copy off of Club Nintendo. It may be hard to believe I'm actually LTTP on this game. I do have a history with it, but this is the first time I've actually sat down and made a serious attempt at completing the game.

I never even owned a copy of my own until All Stars came out and the battery pack save on that was shitty. I didn't want to pay $30 for what was essentially an All Stars ROM printed on a Wii disc, and old Game Boy Advance and NES copies of the game always seemed absurdly expensive given its age. So Virtual Console became my final choice. Playing this game, really any 2D Mario, after seeing everyone else play Mario, feels kind of like first learning to ride a bike at the age of 27. I'm having to work out shit my peers have been learning since probably kindergarten.

Anyway, in most cases the proper time to do an LTTP is just after you've finished a game and other times it's better to do one and keep the thread going while you're still playing through the game. I decided to do this one after making it most of the way through the game.

Quality-wise, I can see why people might look at this as the best Mario game. It certainly presents the biggest leap forward in terms of 2D Mario game design. It introduced the world map system and a lot of the staple items and mechanics.

The first thing I noticed coming off of SMB1 is the fact that the game scrolls left as well as right, which immediately turns stages into explorable places. Lots of levels seem to take advantage of this as well, adding a puzzle and adventure element to the game at times. It also increases the ways in which Nintendo can manipulate item placement. In contrast, games like New Super Mario Bros. (the only other 2D Mario I've finished) hardly utilize this at all, being much more like SMB1 with a rudimentary world map system.

Ah, the world map system. Y'know, what with all the special areas, cards, mini games. layouts, and the way each attempt at a level acts as a "turn," SMB3's world map feels more like a table top game than a world you explore. I wouldn't be surprised if the whole system was inspired by a board game. I can see how people could spend years figuring out different routes, secrets, and other ways to game the system. I like how even after you get game over and get knocked back to the beginning of the world, what's happened on the map stays persistent.

I also only recently figured out there's a turn-based two-player mode. Does anyone ever do that? Has anyone ever actually hosted a party where people just got together and played "a game" of Super Mario Bros. 3? Nintendo seems to have at least anticipated the possibility with the inclusion of battle mode when Mario and Luigi end up on the same square. I think this feature by itself has huge potential. The only similar thing I've played was an SNES Flinstone game I played with my brother where you had to roll a die (in the game) to move across a board and do platforming levels.

As of this writing I'm in the middle of world 7. Specifically I'm at the first castle in world 7 trying to work out where the exit actually is while also farming lives. I'm contemplating if I should farm to 99 lives since I heard if you get game over in world 8 or something you get decked back to world 1. Right now I've farmed up to 33 lives and I can definitely tell you I might end up using all of them just in world 7. With the exception of world 1 I've gotten several game overs in every world in this game so far. I suck at it. SMB1 took me years (and permanent save states for world 8) to complete, so at least I'm doing a lot better here.

If I do get decked back to world 1 and can't finish the game before I get my new gaming HTPC built in the next few days, I'm probably going to load up a ROM on the TV and save scum my way through it.

In a way I envy you. How old are you that you were able to miss the hype?

NM: I guess you were maybe (?) in kindergarten. I could not attend a sleepover without playing that game for 4+ hours for a whole year after release.

BigDug13

There's nothing quite like leaving your NES on overnight because you and your friend had gotten so far in the game and the original game not having any save system. Turning it off meant starting over at the beginning.

I think that's why the stages were so short compared to SMW as well. Loved this game. Lots of secrets as well like the pirate coin ships.

120v

I also only recently figured out there's a turn-based two-player mode. Does anyone ever do that? Has anyone ever actually hosted a party where people just got together and played "a game" of Super Mario Bros. 3? Nintendo seems to have at least anticipated the possibility with the inclusion of battle mode when Mario and Luigi end up on the same square. I think this feature by itself has huge potential. The only similar thing I've played was an SNES Flinstone game I played with my brother where you had to roll a die (in the game) to move across a board and do platforming levels.

i play it two player sometimes. but it's kind of lame because usually one player is more skilled and zooms way ahead of the other one.

good to know you found the coin farming cheat in world 7... i usually farm it out to 99 lives, but you can probably get by okay with 50+ if you made it that far. world 8 is a bitch but it's fairly tame in terms of late 80s NES rage-inducing stages

RedSwirl

i play it two player sometimes. but it's kind of lame because usually one player is more skilled and zooms way ahead of the other one.

good to know you found the coin farming cheat in world 7... i usually farm it out to 99 lives, but you can probably get by okay with 50+ if you made it that far. world 8 is a bitch but it's fairly tame in terms of late 80s NES rage-inducing stages

But does it knock you back to world 1 if you lose all your lives?

chemicals

I often debate which is better... SMW or SMB3... they're both so freaking good. SMB3 is probably more nostalgic for me: you see, before it came out in the states, they released the game in arcades. AMAZING! I remember it was a big red Nintendo cabinet that was originally used for "Play Choice 10". Anyway I spent an absurd amount of quarters on the game (it was a time-limit thingy). Then months later (still before it came out) I was able to rent the regular famicom version with some kind of an adapter on it.... everybody I knew rented it. It barely even played on my NES, but I rented it a bunch of times before the actual game came out.

In hindsight, SMB3 is the first Mario game that really showed us all how amazing a Nintendo platformer can be.

120v

it's been awhile, but i'd like to say it just knocks you to the beginning of the world you're in. but still that's kind of a bitch because you're left with only 3 lives or something

Jagsrock

Banned
I would spend hours playing this game with my cousins back in the day. I remember taking turns with each level as we each had are specialties. Truly one of the best games ive played and I think 3d world is the closest Nintendo has come to recapturing that same magic.

vladdamad

Love the game, some really inspiring level design. I think I prefer SMW, but only by a little bit. Both spectacular, though

It knocks you back to the beginning of the world in which you are. All of the levels respawn, but the locks you destroyed by beating the castles stay that way, so you have shortcuts to get back to where you were faster.

RedSwirl

It knocks you back to the beginning of the world in which you are. All of the levels respawn, but the locks you destroyed by beating the castles stay that way, so you have shortcuts to get back to where you were faster.

So it's the same as every other world. Someone told me world 8 was different so that's why I asked.

SMB 3 was amazing back in the day. It certainly defined a part of my childhood. I didn't own a copy myself ( I never had a NES ), but I played it at a friend's house every chance I got. SMB 3 was the first game within my circle of friends that sparked endless discussions about secrets - how you could skip Worlds and what-not. SMB had been about 'who could progress the furthest with his eyes closed', but SMB 3 was about exploring every nook and cranny of the game-world. Super Mario World took that even further, and became the de-facto Mario-game after it got released here in Europe. I was lucky enough to get a SNES and SMW back in '93, and that was the moment that gave birth to a life-long hobby for me. Those were the days.

balohna

I would play 2 player Mario a lot as a kid. It basically forces you to take turns in a fair way, and you have your own set of lives. I think SMB3 is unique in that you CAN'T play a level the other player beat, though.

NYR94

Even though this game came out in February 1990 in the US I had to wait until my birthday later that year in September to finally get it. I must have spent months being tortured by the SMB3 promo on the box of Chips Ahoy cookies that we always had in the kitchen. This is the first game I can remember where I knew its release was an "event." Great game, but I ended up liking Super Mario World even more.

Shion

As of this writing I'm in the middle of world 7. Specifically I'm at the first castle in world 7 trying to work out where the exit actually is while also farming lives. I'm contemplating if I should farm to 99 lives since I heard if you get game over in world 8 or something you get decked back to world 1. Right now I've farmed up to 33 lives and I can definitely tell you I might end up using all of them just in world 7. With the exception of world 1 I've gotten several game overs in every world in this game so far. I suck at it. SMB1 took me years (and permanent save states for world 8) to complete, so at least I'm doing a lot better here.

World 8 is going to kick your ass :p

SMB3 is probably my favorite game of all time. I used to have my NES hooked up on the TV just to play it every now and then, until I got a game boy micro and SMA4. Being able to play SMB3 on the go on a similar shape controller than the original NES but with one of the best dpads ever made is amazing. I always take it with me on long car trips or vacations.

It will always remind me of going to the store with my birthday money and buying it.

Best birthday ever. The game lasted me years.

Ferrio

Banned
I received it for Easter in my Easter basket. Not like receiving games for easter was a normal thing... but my parents knew I wanted it so bad.. and it was a good excuse to get it for me. I remember waking up really early (5am or something)and seeing it out in the living room. I snuck it into my room, unwrapped it and played very very sleepily through the first few levels. I started to almost pass out due to sleep, so I wrapped it up best I could and placed everything back in the living room. Only gift I have ever opened up early.

RedSwirl

Man, hesitant to play right now. May or may not get a power outage some time during the next 24 hours and I don't want to be in the middle of a game when that happens and potentially lose my Virtual Console save. It's a temporary save state that deletes once you load it if I'm not mistaken.

The thing about World 8 is that it doesn't have any of those locked doors that you open by clearing fortresses. All of the airships, tanks, and that stretch where the hands grab you and drag you down into those mean little levels all respawn.

Me and my cousin spent more time in the battle mode than the actual game. We both got so insanely good at it that if we played anybody else we would absolutely destroy them. It's amazing how much dedication bored 10 year olds could have to something so stupid. SMB3 is the GOAT 2D Mario.

I'm in your shoes OP. I still haven't beaten it, but made it a few worlds on the Virtual Console for the first time this summer. The Angry Sun ended up being really easy too. I kind of shocked myself at how well I did.

Easily the best 2d mario game for me. Best game on the NES. World doesn't even hold a candle to it in my opinion. In fact I've never to this day even beaten SMW. It just does't grab me the way SMB3 does and I always end up just playing smb 3 instead.

Epcott

Too bad you never played SMB2, OP.

SMB3 is indeed greatness, but you appreciate it more after experiencing both SMB and SMB2.

Wait until you get to World 8. It makes modern Mario games seem like child's play.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Looking back at the SMB3 intro these days makes me wonder if they were kicking around ideas for simultaneous co-op all the way back in the 1980's.

So it's the same as every other world. Someone told me world 8 was different so that's why I asked.
The difference is that the locks are placed one after another, so breaking them doesn't really mean anything until you reach the very end of the map. You lose more progress for continuing in world 8 than you do in other worlds, basically.

I would play 2 player Mario a lot as a kid. It basically forces you to take turns in a fair way
You can be a real dick about it if you want to, though.

So, everyone knows that you can move your character to the spot on the map where the other player is resting and press A to challenge him. However, that other player can also press A as you pass over him on the map even when it's your turn to move, forcing you to stop and play the battle game. So if one player is considerably better at the battle game than the other, he can just keep forcing the other player into a duel every time the other one tries to pass by him, effectively stealing a turn every time until a branching path is available.

Not sure if this is common knowledge or not. A few years passed before I figured out it was possible, and I played a lot of co-op SMB3.

EDIT: Thinking on this really makes me wonder what value people see in SMW's map, of all things. That thing gets praised for its secrets and "united world" all the time, but it was considerably less interactive than SMB3's. Nothing on it like World 3's rising drawbridge or canoe.

RedSwirl

It'd be interesting if Nintendo did like, Super Mario Bros. 3 online where players could mail the progress of the game back and forth to each other. It'd be all asynchronous except when you play battle mode. Then the game could just wait until you're both online at the same time.

RedSwirl

Okay, I'm at the second fort of World 7 now. I decided to cash in from the first one with something like 85 lives. I'm now down in the 60's. If I lose all my lives trying to beat the rest of this game I'm probably going to just save scum a ROM. World 7 so far is quite simply fucked up.

Top Bottom