• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Super Mario Bros. 3

maxcriden

Okay, I'm at the second fort of World 7 now. I decided to cash in from the first one with something like 85 lives. I'm now down in the 60's. If I lose all my lives trying to beat the rest of this game I'm probably going to just save scum a ROM. World 7 so far is quite simply fucked up.

You can do it, man! I just played the game recently for the first time as well. Worlds 7 and 8 were brutally difficult but ultimately doable if you keep at them.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Still probably my favorite 2D Mario. World and NSMBWii have some great level design but the actual control of Mario feels a bit slippery in both. The controls in SMB3 are perfect, unmatched in a 2D platformer until probably Super Meat Boy

BowieZ

Banned
Okay, I'm at the second fort of World 7 now. I decided to cash in from the first one with something like 85 lives. I'm now down in the 60's. If I lose all my lives trying to beat the rest of this game I'm probably going to just save scum a ROM. World 7 so far is quite simply fucked up.

World 7 was always the stumbling block for me, as a kid.

Dat jump into the piranha pipe at the end of the second castle, let alone following that with surviving the airship and Koopaling fight was a nightmare.

Because I knew deep down it was impossible.

What's up with the Wii Virtual Console version of this game? It has a big black bar along the left side of the screen, and the right side of the screen flickers incessantly. It's really distracting and annoying.

Doesn't matter if I change either the console or tv settings to 4:3 or 16:9, and none of the other Virtual Console games I have (including SMB1 & 2 & Lost Levels) have the same issue.

Awesome game though, but you can imagine my frustration when I bought it recently and found that out.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Dat jump into the piranha pipe at the end of the second castle
Piece of cake after doing it in Lost Levels 8-4, especially when you have the raccoon tail to help.

What's up with the Wii Virtual Console version of this game? It has a big black bar along the left side of the screen, and the right side of the screen flickers incessantly. It's really distracting and annoying.

Doesn't matter if I change either the console or tv settings to 4:3 or 16:9, and none of the other Virtual Console games I have (including SMB1 & 2 & Lost Levels) have the same issue.

Awesome game though, but you can imagine my frustration when I bought it recently and found that out.
Got any screenshots? SMB3 has always had really pronounced "pop-in" at the edges of the screen that wasn't noticeable on older TVs with heavy overscan, but I'm not sure if you're talking about that.

RedSwirl

World 8-1.

Shit is real now. I already know I am going to have this tank section burned into my muscle memory for the rest of my life before I've finished it. No items in-between levels. No mercy. Straight back to Super Mario Bros. 1-style bullshit.

I've got 41 lives left. You can be damn sure I am going to save scum a ROM if I lose all of them.

Oh yea

large.jpg

Nintendo knew how to market back then

World 7 was always the stumbling block for me, as a kid.

Dat jump into the piranha pipe at the end of the second castle, let alone following that with surviving the airship and Koopaling fight was a nightmare.

Because I knew deep down it was impossible.

For me it was always world 8, there's this one castle with a secret exit, but I could never figure it out. Always ran out of time.

I literally just beat this game for the first time a few days ago. My brother and I used to play it on my grandpa's NES every time we would go there between moves (My dad was in the military, so we moved every few years), but we never beat it. World 8 was always too hard for our young selves to accomplish (We usually skipped all the other worlds with the Magic Flutes).

I downloaded it a few years back on my Wii for a little bit of nostalgia, but never put too much effort into actually beating the game. I brought my Wii out of it's box for the first time in years to play some Smash Bros. again when we decided to beat the game once and for all. We went through all eight Worlds without flutes or Paratroopa Wings. Feels good man.

It gets much harder than a lot of the recent Mario games. And although there've been some really great ones, Super Mario Bros. 3 is still my favorite Mario game. (Although that might change once I get my Wii U in a few days)

I loved playing 2 player vs mode. Climbing the ladder, or gathering coins and dodging fire balls out of the pipe. Or the classic vs stage with the POW block. It was good for trading cards ( or stealing them).

Top Bottom