• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Edge #262 - Dark Souls II + awards

Scanner is playing up so no cover image for now.

Previewed
Quantum Break
Plants vs Zombies: Garden Warfare
Heroes of the Storm
Maia
World of Warcraft: Warlords of Draenor

Features
Atonement. Concerned about Dark Souls II's direction? Its creators explain all
The Making of a Modern Indie Game. Six leading independent creatives discuss the state of the industry [Rami Ismail, Steve Gaynor, Mike Bithell, Katharine Neil, Tom Betts, William Pugh]
The Making Of... Papers, Please

The Edge Awards
Best game
1. Grand Theft Auto V
2. The Last of Us
3. Tearaway
4. Super Mario 3D World
5. Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag
6. Fire Emblem Awakening
7. Rayman Legends
8. The Stanley Parable
9. Dota 2
10. Papers, Please

Alternate Edge Awards makes a return. Bonus interview with Aaron Garbut.

Reviews
Killzone: Shadow Fall [6]
Ryse: Son of Rome [6]
Forza Motorsport 5 [7]
Dead Rising 3 [8]
Need for Speed: Rivals [7]
Killer Instinct [7]
Bravely Default [8]
Resogun [8]
Knack [3]
Crimson Dragon [5]
LocoCycle [2]

subscriber info

teaser page features a partial scratched sphere with a light behind it, sort of lunar like but the scratches make me think it is not planetary. digital versions should be out in the next 24 hours.

8bit

Knows the Score
That's a pretty solid list. Not sure I would agree with the exact placings but good nonetheless.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
That's a pretty damn solid top 10.

I've been seeing a lot of positive comments about DR3. Is it the best entry in the franchise?

I loved the hell of it. Depends what you like most about the series though, as it changed quite a bit.

Kysen

That killzone atmospheric reentry had me stumped until I figured out the controls worked like a real glider.

I'm so used to games like COD/BF that would have used simplified controls and kept you on rails throughout the section.

I kept flying into buildings wondering when the game would put me back on the rail and carry me over.

RaikuHebi

Banned
Yikes for Killzone. That was the Next-gen launch game I had any interest in.

Avoid. I've got far enough in that I might as well finish, but by God avoid!

That killzone atmospheric reentry had me stumped until I figured out the controls worked like a real glider.

I'm so used to games like COD/BF that would have used simplified controls and kept you on rails throughout the section.

I kept flying into buildings wondering when the game would put me back on the rail and carry me over.

No, no. IIt was shit game design.

I just played that section too and it may have made up my mind about selling this piece of shit.

Kysen

I haven't played KZ myself, but haven't you ever played a Far Cry or Halo game in the past 10 years?

Far cry is open world so you kinda expect to be able to control it properly. I don't remember any gliders in Halo though (I only played 3/ODST).

That Knack review is actually kind of terrible. I can understand not liking it and all, but scoring it 3/10 is really just taking the piss. That's the kind of rating you slap on something truly awful or broken on some fundamental/technical level... not on some game aimed at a younger audience primarily whose worst crime is being incredibly bland in execution. I mean, I COULD be remembering wrong, but I don't recall all those throwaway movie tie in games we get every year being so aggressively marked down for similar reasons. Seems OTT.

Got to agree with DR3 being the best launch exclusive.

Where did you get that from? Resogun scored the same.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
I think it's kind of a cardinal sin for Edge for a game to be boring and safe, so the lower-than-average marks for Killzone don't surprise me. Knack is more of a surprise, but it seems quite a common thing for bad games to get soft-balled by gamers during launches. I remember when Enchanted Arms came out and people were saying it wasn't as bad as the reviews, it was actually a pretty good game etc. and then I bought it on word of mouth recommendations and it was genuinely pretty awful.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
Any new shots of DS2?

Not sure, but here is an excerpt from the interview:

When we met last year, you spoke of making Dark Souls II more accessible than the first game. Since then, it’s become clear that this is very much a Souls game. What did you mean by ‘accessible’, and how have you balanced the desire to attract new players with the need to keep existing fans happy?

First of all, we apologise for using the word ‘accessible’ and misleading the fans. By ‘accessible’, what we mainly meant was going through the process of streamlining and carving away the fat to more clearly communicate the true essence of Dark Souls.

There are two main concepts we concentrate on when developing. One is the sense of satisfaction when overcoming the hurdles and challenges in the game. We aim for players to achieve a huge sense of satisfaction as they proceed through the game – for the highest sense of achievement possible, we make the game challenging. Second is the loose connections with other players in the same world. This is done through elements such as blood messaging, blood stains, summoning and invasions, [providing] a sense of the other players who suffer the same experiences in the Dark Souls universe.

Our main intent for Dark Souls II was to enhance the experience to better express these underlining concepts more directly to the players, and to cut away a lot of the tediousness that was included in Dark Souls that did not have to do with the communication of these concepts.

What of players who are daunted by Dark Souls’ difficulty? What would you say to them?

A main theme in all games developed by FromSoftware is to not fully explain all the elements of how to play and challenge players to figure it out for themselves. We would like to encourage players to conquer the elements they face by paying attention to the surroundings and also being creative in strategising [about] how to overcome the difficulties.

http://www.edge-online.com/news/dar...cessible-promises-better-pc-version-for-fans/

Hasney

Killzone a 6 and Rivals a 7?

Okay, the world has offically gone to shit.

Well they're right as in I've had a lot more fun with Rivals, so I'd say it's accurate.

Of course, as right as they can be while taking 2 numbers out of context of the entire body of the review and comparing them across 2 games in completely separate genres.

I think it's kind of a cardinal sin for Edge for a game to be boring and safe, so the lower-than-average marks for Killzone don't surprise me. Knack is more of a surprise, but it seems quite a common thing for bad games to get soft-balled by gamers during launches. I remember when Enchanted Arms came out and people were saying it wasn't as bad as the reviews, it was actually a pretty good game etc. and then I bought it on word of mouth recommendations and it was genuinely pretty awful.

I've found Knack delightful and probably my second favourite game that I have on my PS4, behind only AC4. Easily enjoy it a lot more than Killzone.

I cannot express enough how glad I am to see Tearaway on this list and many more. People, go buy it! Get a Vita if you don't have. That game is a marvel.

It touches my heart to see Tearaway on these lists.

Absolutely deserved. My personal numero uno.

3/10 for Knack.

Daaaaaaamn.

2 points too much.

Also won an award for best visual design

My jaw was on the floor the first time I saw the game running on my Vita. Beautiful on every way.

johntown

Banned
Yikes for Killzone. That was the Next-gen launch game I had any interest in.
The MP is solid and better than the other shooters. The SP is not bad but def mediocre.

If I was rating just on MP I would give it an 8.5 because they still need to patch in, in game chat and clan support.

I could give the SP a 7. A few issues but who really gets a shooter like this for the SP anyway.

jonno394

Glad to see Tearaway and Rayman Legends getting representation on these lists. Both are two of my favourite games this year.

Jog on. Enchanted Arms was good. Lack of sequel is very disappointing...

spekkeh

Banned
That Knack review is actually kind of terrible. I can understand not liking it and all, but scoring it 3/10 is really just taking the piss. That's the kind of rating you slap on something truly awful or broken on some fundamental/technical level...
I'd say something truly awful or broken is a 1.

With a 5 being pedestrian, three would be 'pretty bad'.

Too many people on this forum think 7 is an 'average' mark.
Years back, Edge used to have a one-word description of what their scores meant.
5 was average.
7 was 'Distinguished'. i.e. one of the better examples of the genre.

SJRB

Gold Member
I think it's absurd how DaS II got announced a year ago and all we still get are "don't worry about the direction" features.

Glass Rebel

Generous score for Knack. A truly awful game and one of the worst mascot games I've ever played. Waste of several manhours and everyone's time.

Orayn

I think it's absurd how DaS II got announced a year ago and all we still get are "don't worry about the direction" features.

We're getting those because of the bad reaction to initial news, and it's still more than we got about the first Dark Souls.

Clevinger

It's been Edge both main times. This feels like an article/interview that should have been a followup 10 months ago, instead of long after we found out a lot about the game and a lot of fans got to play it for themselves.

MYE

Knack [3]

mark-cerny1.jpg

Top Bottom