• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone else find Eastern Europe mysterious/intriguing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Countries like Poland, Ukraine, Bulgaria, Belarus, Croatia, of course Russia, etc..

Almost no news come out of those countries. They create really smart people, particularly in math, and of course they probably have the hottest women on earth.

They also seem to have shitty weather all the time and they have horribly low wages.

Seriously, I find Eastern Europe more interesting than its western part...

Countries like Poland, Ukraine, Bulgaria, Belarus, Croatia, of course Russia, etc..

Almost no news come out of those countries. They create really smart people, particularly in math, and of course they probably have the hottest women on earth.

They also seem to have shitty weather all the time and they have horribly low wages.

Came for this, and yeah I intend to do a trip through a lot of those countries one day.

SUPREME1

Banned
I don't find it more interesting than western Europe, but I do find it interesting.

So much history in the west since much of modern history's power has come from the west. The eat has its history as well, just not as a world power.

I used to.

hostelonesheet.jpg

Not anymore.

The Boat

I also have a thing for eastern european women. I intend to explore that area in the near future, there seem to be plenty of gorgeous places to visit.

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
All I can remember is that movie hostel. Oh man.

...they may great (and also "great") games :D

Kampfers

Neo Member
I've been there a few times. Not really mysterious. Definitely nice places to visit though.

Polish beer is crap.

Also, their languages are apparently pretty hard to learn for the rest of the world. They're also pretty homogeneous countries in terms of demographics.

Kind of, but not really. It's a place of chronic human rights abuses and a total shit show to visit, according to my cousins who actually speak the language (Ukrainian and Russian specifically). I would love to see the scenery if only that part of the world wasn't so hard on travelers.

Valhelm

contribute something
Also, their languages are apparently pretty hard to learn for the rest of the world. They're also pretty homogeneous countries in terms of demographics.

Russia is one of the most ethnically diverse countries in the world. Even from a visual standpoint, the various cultures of Russia are pretty distinguishable.

Ethnic Russians:

people+old-ladies.jpg

Samoyed people:

SUK_36_2_lbox.jpg

Komi people:

port-komi-girls.jpg

Turkic Chuvash people:

P6236224.JPG

Turkic Bashkir people:

Bash5.jpg

Turkic Tatars:

Tatarstan-national%20folk%20dancing.JPG

Chechens:

tsarnaev-boston-bombing-caucuses333.si.jpg

Dagestani boys:

maali_pacany2.jpg

Besides Russia, a lot of other countries are very diverse. Kazakhstan, Ukraine, and Romania have very mixed populations, due to various tribes living together in the same area. There are pockets of German and Hungarian speakers all across Eastern Europe.

Ive been to Russia, its nice. One of the few places in the world where you can buy a suit and a maserati next door to it. Moscow is fucking expensive. The rest is more "normal".

Oops, yeah, you're right. What I tried to say is that those are not countries where immigrants from around the world would settle (like Germany).

Z..

and they have horribly low wages

You're the ones who have horribly high wages, not the other way around.

I don't find it more interesting than western Europe, but I do find it interesting.

So much history in the west since much of modern history's power has come from the west. The eat has its history as well, just not as a world power.

? What do you mean, "not as a world power", what do you call the Soviet Union (and it's fascinating and rich history)? They were more of a world power than any other European country has ever and probably will ever be (unless we're counting ancient Rome/Greece, too).

EE women are down with brothers in my experience so they cool

image.php

For some reason, it made me chuckle.

Ionian

There's plenty of news on those countries if you live in Europe.

Ukraine and the Czech republic, hottest women in the world.

Chichikov

Anyone else find Eastern Europe mysterious/intriguing?
Yeah, people who haven't been there ;p.

And just so we're clear, I'm not hating on that part of the world, I had heaps of fun in Russia, Poland, Hungary and Croatia (OMG Croatia, such a brilliant destination, though I wouldn't really lump it with eastern europe), but I don't know if mysterious and intriguing is the first adjactives that pops in my mind when I think of that region.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I've been all over Eastern Europe. Some of it is shit, some of it is awesome. Just like Western Europe. But with more dreadful building codes.

Always thought Russia was Asian for some reason.

Anyway, Eastern Europe from my experience is pretty great. Some of the most beautiful women in the world and generally a low cost of living. Pag Island might be my favorite place to party in the world.

Mook1e

I've been there. It's ok. Sure, beautiful women. If you prefer white women.
Me? Nah.
I'll be back next month. Freezing my balls off. Yipee.

ScrubJay

Western Europe is played out as hell, I love reading about Eastern Europe. Couldn't pay me enough to live there, though. The modern shape of the land has mad problems.

gabbo

I wish I had extra time when I was in Europe a few years back and could have spent more time in Romania (specifically wandered around Bucharest more and had the time to take the train to the Brasov-Sighisoara-Clug-Napoca regions because of my childhood fascination with Dracula lore).

There's certainly an appeal to the history of the area, but other aspects don't appeal to me, and I always hate traveling alone

jerry1594

Only EE country that interests me is Hungary. Other places seem pretty crappy to live in.
Oh and Romania because they use a Romance language.

JohnDoe

Banned
Nice. Uh, who is the most disliked ethnic group in Russia?

I'm not even Russian but I'd say black people hold that title in many countries around the world.

As a Eastern European (Kosovo), I'd never want to live there. It's not that interesting imo.

Nice. Uh, who is the most disliked ethnic group in Russia?
There are too much ethnic hate in here, coming from both sides(white caucasian population and other groups). We have too much illegal workers from Middle Asia. People from Caucasus often very hostile towards general population, so they are not very well liked.
We need better immigration regulation.

jerry1594

I'm not even Russian but I'd say black people hold that title in many countries around the world.

As a Eastern European (Kosovo), I'd never want to live there. It's not that interesting imo.
Black people aren't an ethnic group, and I wasn't clear enough but I meant ethnic groups native to Russia.
There are too much ethnic hate in here, coming from both sides(white caucasian population and other groups). We have too much illegal workers from Middle Asia. People from Caucasus often very hostile towards general population, so they are not very well liked.
We need better immigration regulation.
Do you think the Eurasion Union can alleviate the problems?

Do you think the Eurasion Union can alleviate the problems?

No. I don't think so. There is so much shit in here, nothing will help as far as i can tell. Corruption on all levels, low wages, high prices, illegal immigrants etc.
And for all people wondering Russia is a bad country to live in. I'll do everything i can to move somewhere better. To Western Europe, Germany for example, i fucking love Munich, or better yet US/Canada.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
I've been to former Yugoslavia (Montenegro, and Serbia) twice. I'm ethnically Albanian but most of my family outside the USA lives in Southern Montenegro. I plan on going on a Balkan tour to visit family and sight see in countries I haven't been to.

First off the women in the Balkans are the most beautiful in the world IMO. Doesn't matter if they're Croatian, Bosnian, Serbian, Albanian etc. On top of that there is beautiful scenery from majestic mountains and the beautiful Adriatic Sea coastline. If I had time I would start at Estonia and make my way down through Lithuania, Poland, Slovakia, Hungary then to the Balkans. Lots of old beautiful architecture and history throughout all those countries. I don't think I'll have the time to do it all unfortunately so it'll just be a Balkan trip for me.

Another thing is you get more bang for your buck than Western Europe. I'm not knocking Western Europe at all but it can get very expensive over there. You can hit up beautiful cities like Zagreb (Croatia), Budapest(Hungary), Warsaw(Poland) etc. for far cheaper and they have gorgeous cities with a poppin' nightlife.

But yeah its beautiful, rich history, great food etc. Eastern Europe had a bad reputation for awhile but I think a lot of it was/is unfounded and its a lot better than it was 10/20 years ago (still messed up in some parts though).

RobertM

I'm from Eastern Europe (Lithuania). Our schools are certainly tough, where American education relies on multiple choice questions as means of measuring proficiency, we tend to have everything open ended...no open books or notes. Weather is shit depending on the time of the year. Lots of poverty and depression due to lack of work which leads to alcoholism that leads to debt and ultimately suicide...and I'm from the one that has the highest suicide rate. There is a lot of culture and traditions and a lot of time is spent socializing with other people so community is key.

jerry1594

No. I don't think so. There is so much shit in here, nothing will help as far as i can tell. Corruption on all levels, low wages, high prices, illegal immigrants etc.
And for all people wondering Russia is a bad country to live in. I'll do everything i can to move somewhere better. To Western Europe, Germany for example, i fucking love Munich, or better yet US/Canada.
Damn, sorry to hear about that.

S-Wind

Men owe a debt of gratitude to Ghengis Khan and the men of his armies, and, to Attila the Hun and the men of his armies.

Thanks to them, Eastern European women are HOT!

aku:jiki

I don't, but as a european who's been there and am somewhat familiar with that region, I do find it amusing that american horror movies are set in estern Europe more and more for each year. Because all bulgarians do all day is kidnap and torture american teenagers for no reason.

You want to escape corruption, wage inequality and illegal immigration...and you want to do it by moving to the US? I think I see a potential flaw in your plan, sir.

smurfx

get some go again

right you are sir.

Watevaman

I'm guessing it's my lack of knowledge in the culture and the fact that the news I do hear is always negative, but I'd be scared to visit any of the former bloc countries.

edit: and I'm one of the few that doesn't find the women attractive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom