• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone else find Eastern Europe mysterious/intriguing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

casabolg

Banned
Viktor%2BVasnetsov%2B%25281848%25E2%2580%25931926%2529%2BSirin_Alkonost.jpg

Alkonost and Gamayun smile upon this thread.

Irminsul

? What do you mean, "not as a world power", what do you call the Soviet Union (and it's fascinating and rich history)? They were more of a world power than any other European country has ever and probably will ever be (unless we're counting ancient Rome/Greece, too).
Including the British Empire and the Netherlands a few centuries before them? I don't think so.

Anyway, I don't know about the "mysterious" part. I'd say Eastern Europe is a quite popular holiday destination amongst Western Europeans, both for cultural heritage and relatively cheap prices. Probably even more due to the prices, which is nothing against Eastern Europe but more against the reasons for choosing holiday destinations of my fellow Western Europeans. I've personally only ever been to Poland for a short trip, but know a lot of people who've visited e.g. Prague or Croatia and liked it very much.

You also get a bunch of news from Eastern Europe. I mean, even if you have this distinction between "Western" and "Eastern" Europe, which I normally don't use because neither of them is a homogeneous blob that is sharply distinguished from the other half, it isn't that far away actually. So of course you're interested in what your neighbours are doing.

As there's at least one Russian in here, I have to ask: I heard from a colleague that if you say you're German in Russia that is pretty much your invitation to some free drinks and other friendly gestures. I don't doubt my colleague, but is this widespread? And where does that come from?

fushi

Estonia has already been swallowed up by globalized culture so don't come here expecting to find much mystery or anything else intriguing.

(If you do come here then I will gladly guide you to a few choice bars and places to visit, though.)

You consider countries that don't make the headlines to be mysterious? In that case, Canada is the most mysterious country of all, especially where I come from.

Purkake4

Banned
Estonia has already been swallowed up by globalized culture so don't come here expecting to find much mystery or anything else intriguing.

(If you do come here then I will gladly guide you to a few choice bars and places to visit, though.)
Shush, we're nordic now.

Countries like Poland, Ukraine, Bulgaria, Belarus, Croatia, of course Russia, etc..

Almost no news come out of those countries. They create really smart people, particularly in math, and of course they probably have the hottest women on earth.

They also seem to have shitty weather all the time and they have horribly low wages.

Seriously, I find Eastern Europe more interesting than its western part...

My fiance is from Ukraine and I can attest to them having the hottest women on earth! But more seriously, it is fascinating to hear her viewpoint on a range of matters considering where she grew up. Her mother (who still lives in Ukraine) is visiting us right now and it's quite interesting to hear her stories, particularly concerning politics (both the Orange Revolution and the current imbroglio) and different cultural traits, etc. She makes $200 a month as a school teacher and when she's in America she's constantly in awe of the sprawl, lack of public transportation, and the fact that our stores are pretty much open all the time. For instance, our local grocer has a few stores that are open 24/7 and besides the sheer size and scope of the stores, she just cannot fathom the prices.

Her daughter (my fiance) left Ukraine when she was 19 after coming to America as an exchange student and has come to love America, and Texas in particular. She graduated magna cum laude in Business Administration, loves hot weather, and revels in being able to drive anywhere without having to rely on public transportation. Whenever I tell her I want to go back to Europe to live she just rolls her eye and complains about the cold and dirty cities and decries public transportation! Although they hail from Western Ukraine, they primarily speak Russian with intermittent Ukrainian and would like to see Ukraine integrate with the EU. Both find Yanukovych and Putin to be criminal and thugs. Needless to say, the last month or so have been tense, especially for her mother.

ЯAW

Banned
Nope. I like to visit there, big cities are nice, country side is beautiful. Stay longer then few months and some horrendus social issues start rising. You face the same issues around the world but as usual they are worse in poorer parts of the world.

Irminsul

Nordic prices at slave wages. BeLIEve.
Just to weigh in on the "no news from Eastern Europe" thing a bit more: This was even on the news in Germany recently due to your southern neighbours joining the Eurozone in a few days, just to show an example of another Baltic country's experience with the Euro or something.

So you're still one homogeneous Baltic blob to us, but at least you are noticed in the rest of Europe ;)

(At least I think that your shared heritage with Latvia and Lithuania mostly consists of being ruled by your big neighbour to the East and not much else, thus the umbrella term "Baltic countries" implying something more is at least questionable. But I could also be wrong.)

Arjen

The woman are really hot, the cities and nature are beautiful, but I don't really like the people, they all seem so grumpy.
But definitely worth a visit.

WARCOCK

Banned
I've more of a fascination with Russia than most of the rest of EE. It's hard to word but I have a deep appreciation and respect for their unrelenting toughness and heroic stoicism. My relatives who have been said it's incredibly beautiful too.

Konka

Banned
I've been to Poland twice, it's certainly not mysterious. I saw an American Eagle, IKEA and H&M sandwiched between a couple McDonalds and a Burger King down the street from the Marriot.

Mesousa

Banned
A lot of news comes from these places. Usually of the racist variety though. Only positive news I see are from old Perverts who go there to sexually exploit their women.

ЯAW

Banned
I've more of a fascination with Russia than most of the rest of EE. It's hard to word but I have a deep appreciation and respect for their unrelenting toughness and heroic stoicism. My relatives who have been said it's incredibly beautiful too.
Russia is stunning! I took the Moscow - Vladivostock train trip with my friends and it was amazing trip. I hope to take the Moscow to Beijing trip some time next year.

NoRéN

I've decreased my trips to Ukraine in the last few years. While I do miss visiting family, the increasing homophobia and overall discrimination has been really off putting.

Countries like Poland, Ukraine, Bulgaria, Belarus, Croatia, of course Russia, etc..

Almost no news come out of those countries. They create really smart people, particularly in math, and of course they probably have the hottest women on earth.

They also seem to have shitty weather all the time and they have horribly low wages.

Huh? I think you need a more comprehensive news source. :p

Besides, all the best games come out of that region.

AcridMeat

Banned
The woman are really hot, the cities and nature are beautiful, but I don't really like the people, they all seem so grumpy.
But definitely worth a visit.
Oppression will do that to people.

Most are quite nice to talk to and friendly, they just don't show it.

Was in Budapest this fall visiting family. It's truly beautiful and as someone mentioned the history is fascinating, and sad.

Warsaw was an interesting place. At least for the two weeks I spent there... The combination of old Soviet architecture and modern buildings with multinational corporations. Shops with tons of salespeople just hanging out and no customers. And apparently if you speak English in any capacity you are overqualified for retail job. Luckily bars and restaurants usually had someone who spoke English.

Mook1e

I'm from Eastern Europe (Lithuania). Our schools are certainly tough, where American education relies on multiple choice questions as means of measuring proficiency, we tend to have everything open ended...no open books or notes. Weather is shit depending on the time of the year. Lots of poverty and depression due to lack of work which leads to alcoholism that leads to debt and ultimately suicide...and I'm from the one that has the highest suicide rate. There is a lot of culture and traditions and a lot of time is spent socializing with other people so community is key.
Hey, I'll be there soon. GAF meet-up?
I'll buy the first round!

Having lived in Prague for 3 years, I can attest for Czech women being hot. I thought we had models for what were the medical students there.

and of course they probably have the hottest women on earth.
The woman are really hot
Every country has attractive people.
Sigh. I wish people wouldn't claim that countries of people have "sexy people". There are plenty of attractive people of any country and any race. And it isn't based upon what country someone is from.

I also try to avoid exotifying other cultures. Which I worry you might be doing.

Sigh. I wish people wouldn't claim that countries of people have "sexy people". There are plenty of attractive people of any country and any race. And it isn't based upon what country someone is from.

I also try to avoid exotifying other cultures. Which I worry you might be doing.

You're just jelly cause you're english.

jk, i absolutely agree

kick51

Banned
My dad was born in czechoslovakia but honestly, eastern europe just creeps me out for some reason. When you're hanging with Czech people and they all start talking to each other and sounding serious, you feel like you're about to star in a snuff film. The outskirts of Prague have lots of ruins from the communist times. I went to an art show on the outskirts in a building that could've been a setting for a Resident Evil game. It was raining out and rain was getting in every window seeping through the carpet, but they were just plugging shit in and not caring about it lol

jerry1594

My dad was born in czechoslovakia but honestly, eastern europe just creeps me out for some reason. When you're hanging with Czech people and they all start talking to each other and sounding serious, you feel like you're about to star in a snuff film.
Czechs and Slovaks kinda sound the same and they sound sinister for some reason.

kick51

Banned
Czechs and Slovaks kinda sound the same and they sound sinister for some reason.

it must be some of the inflections they use, which sound vaguely angry to us.

And that so many czech dudes come off as bond villains of varying ages/shapes.

I guess this means I am pretty mystified by Prague. So was Kafka, the city is practically a character in his work.

Arjen

Every country has attractive people.

Sure, but some more then others. And people have a different look in every country.

BoomBap

Neo Member
I too have always found eastern European women very attractive. I think it has a lot to do with the accent.

TheMan

Would an Indian guy be able to get around there without much harassment? I'm not actually Indian but that's what I look like, lol

Billen

Banned

They are on the internet as much as you and I. They are also, hardly surprising, are the same kind of people that you and I are.

Many of them tend to stay away from English speaking forums etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom