• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone else find Eastern Europe mysterious/intriguing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zornica

Banned
Also no matter the type, when a party calls themselves communist in 2013, they have to mean it. I mean if they did not share the ideals and did not support communism. If they were for keeping democracy and freedom of speech here, would they proudly call themselves communists?

Because communism =/= dictatorship. What the soviets made out of it wasn't anywhere close to the main idea. But after all, Russia really wasn't the right place for it to work as intended. In theory, everybody is equal and everybody rules, that's as far removed from dictatorship as you can get. So, if they call themselves communist doesn't mean they are soviet style "communists". Most of Europe's communist parties are closer to the "true meaning", at least in the south/not-iron-curtain-states they are.

Also in Austria pretty much everything is closed on Sunday, while here in big cities a lot of shops and places are open for business.

because it's the day of the lord, dude

Actually I don't mind them being closed on Sunday. I surely wouldn't want to work on weekends/sundays, so why should others have to? Bars, restaurants and others are still open though. Don't know about the places you mentioned, but why would you ever visit the most boring cities in the country anyway?

Actually I don't mind them being closed on Sunday. I surely wouldn't want to work on weekends/sundays, so why should others have to? Bars, restaurants and others are still open though. Don't know about the places you mentioned, but why would you ever visit the most boring cities in the country anyway?

I was pretty surprised a couple of years ago, how practically all the shops were closing already at 5.30 PM in England on weekdays. Made the shopping after work quite difficult, but I guess locals can live with that.

Austria is a total pain in the ass on Sunday, ski resorts transfer on Saturday night, meaning I can't go to the shop for snacks or drinks until Monday. Grrr

I hate the UK Sunday trading laws - completely needless and annoying. Though after work shopping is getting better - my local mall is open until 8-9pm, as is the local out of town retail park. Supermarkets 24 hours too, except Saturday night when they close at 10pm - kinda used to annoy me when we came back from snowboarding at 11 and I was dyin of thirst

soepje

In the past I thought the girls in Serbia are prettier than average, but I do not believe this anymore. The thing that mostly makes girls from here look hotter is the way they dress and the amount of makeup they wear, especially when going out. Another thing is when you base your opinion on girls in cities like Novi Sad and Belgrade. Lot of people move there looking for jobs and/or to study. Therefore there are a lot of young people.
This seems to be true for a lot of places in the balkan. I´m currently in Pristina, and whenever i´m here i always feel like i have to step up my game :p. Women tend to use the streets as if they are on the catwalk. That combined with the fact that the median age in the country is 27 makes it a place full of pretty people. Difficult to compare it to the 41 yo average in the Netherlands :p

Blastoise

Banned
Is this an accurate definition for Central European countries?

lGC02F9.png

Joseca

Banned
I've once met a guy from Hungary. I was curious so I asked about the culture there but he only told me that Hungary is boring and all the countries that sorround it hates Hungarian people.

I still want to go there some day.

Edit: Now I don't know which part of Europe Hungary belongs to.

endre

Because communism =/= dictatorship. What the soviets made out of it wasn't anywhere close to the main idea. But after all, Russia really wasn't the right place for it to work as intended. In theory, everybody is equal and everybody rules, that's as far removed from dictatorship as you can get. So, if they call themselves communist doesn't mean they are soviet style "communists". Most of Europe's communist parties are closer to the "true meaning", at least in the south/not-iron-curtain-states they are.

I actually agree with you. It is due to shitty economy, high unemployment rates and great worker exploitability that so much businesses are open so long. But I still hate that banks, government/public offices have the same working hours in Austria so if you have to do something you need to ask for leave from work.

This seems to be true for a lot of places in the balkan. I´m currently in Pristina, and whenever i´m here i always feel like i have to step up my game :p. Women tend to use the streets as if they are on the catwalk. That combined with the fact that the median age in the country is 27 makes it a place full of pretty people. Difficult to compare it to the 41 yo average in the Netherlands :p

This as well. But damn, is that median age accurate? Seems impossibly low. No disrespect intended.

I've once met a guy from Hungary. I was curious so I asked about the culture there but he only told me that Hungary is boring and all the countries that sorround it hates Hungarian people.

He could be exaggerating, but there is a stereotype that Hungarians are quite an envious folk.

Geographically Hungary belongs to Central Europe.

Kiraly

It is true. It is not as boring as the proper Eastern European countries, but my god does it feel depressing all the time.

Second part is true, but Hungarians hate everyone else as well haha. Hungarians are, with the Fins, the only in Europe to speak a Finno-Ugric language, while the surrounding countries speak mostly Slavic.

He could be exaggerating, but there is a stereotype that Hungarians are quite an envious folk.

True as well, there is still a lot of envy in the country over the injustice that was done at the end of the first world war. There is a lot of nationalism in Hungary.

old-hungary.jpg

Treaty of Trianon was a disgrace.

It is true. It is not as boring as the proper Eastern European countries, but my god does it feel depressing all the time.

Second part is true, but Hungarians hate everyone else as well haha. Hungarians are, with the Fins, the only in Europe to speak a Finno-Ugric language, while the surrounding countries speak mostly Slavic.

Poor Estonia, always left out from our exclusive language club.

Irminsul

Hungarians are, with the Fins, the only in Europe to speak a Finno-Ugric language, while the surrounding countries speak mostly Slavic.
What is quite interesting in my opinion is that there's an actual corridor between the Western/Eastern and the Southern Slavic languages:

651px-slavic_languageqysci.png

And all languages in that corridor are widely different from each other, with Hungarian probably furthest away from everything else and (Austrian) German closest (because it's also Indo-European).

Gustav

Banned
Although I live in Germany, I am Polish and was born to Polish parents.
When I think about Poland, I think about 2 things.

1. Tar dripping off buildings
2. Drunk old men on bikes

Hope the mystery is resolved.

Born in Kosovo, raised in Switzerland. I love the culture and the history of Eastern Europe but I could never imagine living there. The racism alone would probably kill me in less than a month.

Although I live in Germany, I am Polish and was born to Polish parents.
When I think about Poland, I think about 3 things.

1. Tar dripping off buildings
2. Drunk old men on bikes

Hope the mystery is resolved.

what does it all mean

Jindrax

No... might be ignorance but it feels like a place where I will get my face kicked in by 75 skinheads the moment I step foot in the country...

I remember though when I was 16 I went on an exchange in Poland.
Two skinheads sorta became my bodyguards to protect me from the others when we went out in the evening.

tino

Banned
Not really.

I saw "The New Europe" from Michael Palin and found all the countrires pretty boring and the series easily one of the dullest Palin travelouge documentary.

Countries like Poland, Ukraine, Bulgaria, Belarus, Croatia, of course Russia, etc..

Almost no news come out of those countries. They create really smart people, particularly in math, and of course they probably have the hottest women on earth.

They also seem to have shitty weather all the time and they have horribly low wages.

Seriously, I find Eastern Europe more interesting than its western part...

I've been to Russia and Poland, and have friends/researched the history of the Ukraine, Croatia, and Belarus, and the reason no news comes out of those countries is because they're still recovering from Cold War era oppression (with the exception of Belarus, which is still living under Cold War era oppression), and their leaders still treat civil liberties as privilege and not a right.

The class division in Russia is as striking as it is frightening--it feels like the logical conclusion of where the US is heading. The people of Belarus live in perpetual fear of their government.

Out of all the places you listed, Croatia and Poland are probably the most enjoyable for tourism. I'd suggest avoiding Russia if only because by visiting, you're sponsoring an oligarchy led by a egotistical asshole and furthering a class division the likes of which you can barely imagine.

There are a lot of countries more exotic than anything in Eastern Europe; beautiful women are everywhere in the world, as are intelligent individuals.

kick51

Banned
bratislava is an hour of walking around and seeing a few churches

it's actually really nice looking though, well maintained. just...boring.

dsp

lol that's utter bullshit.
I live like 15 minutes by car from bratislava and drive there every now and than. And not even the most run down area I've ever been to looks anything like that movie clip. Since they joined the EU most places got cleaned up quite a bit and the old town is like a smaller version of Budapest/Vienna/Prague or any other of the former Habsburg imperial cities.

It's just comedy, man. The only funny part of that awful movie, actually.

endre

They probably just took down the big ice skating rink and all the hot wine booths + food vendors, right? I loved the hot wine!

I am not sure if they had a skating ring yet this year. They are preparing for New Years Eve. As for the wine booths they aren't there all the time. Only when some wine fest is organized.

norinrad

Yeah Eastern Europe is fun for a week, maybe two but after that you really wanna get the hell out. Maybe in 50 years or so i will change my mind about EE, but not anytime soon. Good people though, very good people from my experience and those i have met on along the way.

endre

Yeah. Especialy if you have money. Not even to much by western standards. Lets say 1000-1500 euro per month. Still not sure if I would like to raise chipdren here.

demented

Yeah, and I like it but when you hook up with a girl and see her without makeup, well FUCK.
I've been to Netherlands recently and in first day or two I couldn't see 1 hot girl. Then I looked more and it was either really hot or ugly as fuck (plus I was in Amsterdam for few days of my stay and I've seen more non white people than white at places), also noticed none of the girls wore makeup and were fit and upon closer inspection naturally beautiful (those that weren't straight up ugly I mean). Just my experience with NL, will go again next year most likely.

True as well, there is still a lot of envy in the country over the injustice that was done at the end of the first world war. There is a lot of nationalism in Hungary.

old-hungary.jpg

Thing about that picture, all countries in Europe were bigger at some point and have suffered "injustices" were land was taken from them. But in most cases that land wasn't really theirs in the first place and different people lived there for long ass time. That picture made me think of Austro-Hungarian empire and how they could claim half of Balkans was "theirs". Some places were held by them for long time but still.

Thanks a lot, lol.

And it's not even racism for specific reason, it's just because they're black. Most of people I know here are racist in a way or dislike black people even though they don't know any are very few live here. It's just because they're different and no first hand experience with them, plus all the movies and news focusing on bad parts of the culture.

amar212

old-hungary.jpg

Injustice? INJUSTICE??

Croatia sends nice FUCK YOU FOREVER to "Old Hungary" which was despotic, hegemonial, authoritharian and vicious "kingdom" that oppressed Croatia - and other countries on that map - for centuries.

Fuck you Old Hungary, fuck you. Fuck you.

Henke

The number of American's calling Eastern Europe scary is quite funny. I'd feel safer and more comfortable walking through your average Eastern European city than most cities in the USA. I'm certain murder rates would back me up on that too.

daviyoung

Banned
Came here to post this.

Even if it's purely irrational fear I would never go to any Eastern Europe Country after watching the Hostel movies.

Have you ever been anywhere?

The number of American's calling Eastern Europe scary is quite funny. I'd feel safer and more comfortable walking through your average Eastern European city than most cities in the USA. I'm certain murder rates would back me up on that too.

Americans are scared of everything though so it's natural.

Zornica

Banned

yeah, also this. you may get robbed by an unarmed chipsy without you even noticing it but I'd take that over robbers with guns any day.

Henke

True that. I've travelled quite a lot in Eastern Europe, some of it alone, and the only bother I've ever had in any sense was a gypsy once asked me for money then kept shouting 'whore!' at the girl I was with when we refused.

Ive travelled off the beaten track in Eastern Europe a fair bit, some of it solo, and found the language barrier to be the only daunting thing. I've felt more unsafe in my hometown in one night out on the town than all my time east (although I hail from Glasgow so YMMV).

endre

Hat tip to you sir! I didn't have the courage to post something like this.

Born in Kosovo, raised in Switzerland. I love the culture and the history of Eastern Europe but I could never imagine living there. The racism alone would probably kill me in less than a month.

Yeah, this is one of the main reasons why I haven't visited some of these places.

K-19

Banned
I whole heatedly disagree. The language to my ears is always rough sounding and very displeasing to hear in the public. Sometimes I don't even like using it for that reason alone, so when I hear it being called "soft" and "sweet", I think that person is nuts.

My ears disagree. I am pretty sensible with roughness, that's why I don't really like arabic. Russian intonation is particular but it still the softest slavic language, the notion of weak consonant and vowel is the best example. However I could concede that it may sound more unpleasant when we are talking about a man speaking than a woman. I am sorry that you're not pleased with your native language.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom