• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Debt Rating Downgraded to Junk Status by Moody's

Tak3n

Banned
Junk me if old

Ratings firm Moody's cites "the challenges facing the company's TV and PC businesses."

Credit ratings agency Moody's Investors Service said Monday that Sony Corp.’s corporate debt was no longer investment grade, citing challenges in its consumer electronics business.

It downgraded the debt rating on the consumer electronics and entertainment conglomerate, led by CEO Kaz Hirai, to so-called "junk" status. Better debt ratings make borrowing cheaper for companies.

"While Sony has made progress in its restructuring and benefits from continued profitability in several of its business segments, it still faces challenges to improve and stabilize its overall profitability and, in the near term, to achieve a profile that Moody's views as consistent with an investment grade rating," Moody's said. "Of primary concern are the challenges facing the company's TV and PC businesses, both of which face intense global competition, rapid changes in technology, and product obsolescence."

But Moody's was more positive on the profitability outlook for Sony's entertainment units. "The four segments of Devices, Imaging Products & Solutions, Music and Pictures are expected to remain profitable, but not at levels, which in aggregate can support an investment grade rating for the overall corporation," it said. T"he Music and Pictures segments are expected to remain profitable -- after an expected one quarter seasonal loss in Pictures -- and supportive of the company's cash flow and profitability."

t added that Sony’s PlayStation 4 console would help earnings at its video games segment, but predited that profits would come in below those reported in previous years.

The downgrade concludes a debt ratings review that Moody's had initiated in November.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/sony-debt-rating-downgraded-junk-674399

NFOx4qA.png

Sony went from Baa3 / Prime-3 (Investment Grade) to Ba1 / Not Prime (Speculative Grade).

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
speculative means you're just taking a bigger risk.

but bigger risk means bigger gain, AMIRITE GUYZZZ

wow so Nintendo can buy Sony?

that's not really how it works. there is a valuation to the company's assets regardless of their stock status. there is also an operational cost that nintendo would not want to absorb after they bought sony.

so they are more expensive/valuable than what may seem.

Even if Nintendo has intention of buying companies, they'd never buy Sony in bulk. There's no synergy.

The only divisions worth anything to Nintendo are SCE & arguably Tv/movies/music so that Nintendo can have internal resources to make shows out of their ip.

Duxxy3

PC divisions around the world are crashing thanks to windows 8 and tablets. TV's... well Sony is selling televisions at a higher price, but they are no better than cheaper televisions. Sony's name used to mean something 15 years ago, now it means jack shit.

1. Spin off the gaming and cinema divsion
2. Merge the gaming division with Nintendo
3. Merge Naughty Dogs and Nintendo EAD
4. Develop "The Last of the Hylians"
5. Rejoice with the 100 million copies sold plus over 1000 GOTY awards.

catmincer

I would wet my pants in pure joy if that happened!!

This forum would implode, and overnight the Wii U would go from 100 threads of doom a day, to a 100 threads of 'Wow the Wii U is Epic'

Yeah even then I don't think anyone would be saying that ;)

All of the above. Apple could not buy Microsoft under any scenario.

Apple is the bigger company in all regards and while they would never do it and it would destroy their business I think with a couple years of planning and massive loans they could get the money to do just that. Hell their revenue this year was larger than MS's total assets but obviously revenue =/= profits.

I would wet my pants in pure joy if that happened!!

This forum would implode, and overnight the Wii U would go from 100 threads of doom a day, to a 100 threads of 'Wow the Wii U is Epic'

no the wii u would still be the same piece of shit that is today regardless of weather or not Nintendo owns Sony. The only thing that would be different is now there would be a chance those incompetent morons are no longer gonna to be pushing out said garbage hardware and Nintendo fans can finally stop pretending like it's anything but. Plus they'll get to enjoy good games not named Mario for once, and they'll get competent online instructor, and third party games, and people committed to new ips. Should be a pretty good times for Nintendo fans I suppose

OT: Didn't this happen already

Apple is the bigger company in all regards and while they would never do it and it would destroy their business I think with a couple years of planning and massive loans they could get the money to do just that. Hell their revenue this year was larger than MS's total assets but obviously revenue =/= profits.

I think a hostile takeover of MS would be well beyond their capabilities even then.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
no the wii u would still be the same piece of shit that is today regardless of weather or not Nintendo owns Sony. The only thing that would be different is now there would be a chance those incompetent morons are no longer gonna to be pushing out said garbage hardware and Nintendo fans can finally stop pretending like it's anything but. Plus they'll get to enjoy good games not named Mario for once, and they'll get competent online instructor, and third party games, and people committed to new ips. Should be a pretty good times for Nintendo fans I suppose

these FUMES

domlolz

Banned

OT: Didn't this happen already

lol great post, well done

neoanarch

Even if Nintendo has intention of buying companies, they'd never buy Sony in bulk. There's no synergy.

The only divisions worth anything to Nintendo are SCE & arguably Tv/movies/music so that Nintendo can have internal resources to make shows out of their ip.

You just unburied some memories from a decade ago. Nintendo was rumored to be starting up an in-house animation studio. Digging up some old stories it looks like Yamauchi actually announced it outright and the first feature was suppose to be based on some old Japanese poems. Crazy.

cebri.one

No they can't

RE_Player

While I do find financials interesting I can't help but feel annoyed when people arm chair analyze companies and the marketplace. Be it Sony's overall health, rumors of spinning off Xbox or the Iwata's CEO status I feel like these topics get tired fast with the same responses again and again.

domlolz

Banned
I dont think Nintendo cares to get into the film, professional broadcasting, or imaging business. Anyway, Sony's rating can be junk, but Nintendo is still doomed.

so nintendo is doomed but sony which is arguably in a worse financial situation is fine because?

Sendou

I dont think Nintendo cares to get into the film, professional broadcasting, or imaging business. Anyway, Sony's rating can be junk, but Nintendo is still doomed.

No, out of the two it's definitely Sony that is doomed.

Someone more knowledgeable can correct me but when your debt ratings gets downgraded like this it makes taking debt more expensive. Company like Sony has to take a lot of debt so suddenly running the company becomes more expensive. In short these are not good news at all.

cebri.one

No, out of the two it's definitely Sony that is doomed.

Someone more knowledgeable can correct me but when your debt ratings gets downgraded like this it makes taking debt more expensive. Company like Sony has to take a lot of debt so suddenly running the company becomes more expensive. In short these are not good news at all.

Not in Japan.

Top Bottom