• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMD Mantle Thread - Time to shake some things up!

The fact that they haven't fully outright denied it tells me that they are at the least considering something, much to the contrary of the resident "experts"
there is some truth to that indeed. But Manuel would definitely no be the one to say something about it. It would be a press erelease with some sort of substantiated reasoning. Not a forum post.

So honest question here, and I don't want to start a manufacturer war here or anything but, is there any likelihood that NVIDIA will begin to support this?

I like the idea of a new API that one-ups DirectX, and if it's good for the industry hopefully it gets some wider adoption.

So honest question here, and I don't want to start a manufacturer war here or anything but, is there any likelihood that NVIDIA will begin to support this?

Maybe? They'll obviously have to respond in some way, either by coming up with their own solution or by using Mantle themselves. The first sounds a lot more plausible though.

mephixto

Banned
What is nVidia doing to match this? ARE they doing anything to match this?

AMD decided to build a API to compensate what they cannot achieve with their hardware I guess Nvidia will continue to either push their hardware and OpenGL or in worst case build their own API, I hope this will not be the case cause developing PC games in the future is gonna be a real nightmare for developers.

Foaloal

is there any likelihood that NVIDIA will begin to support this?

I think it's far too early to say.

If Mantle ends up being everything we could want and more, and AMD does everything they can to get it widespread and supported by a lot of devs, along with keeping their promise of Mantle being available for everyone, and AMD doesn't try to make Nvidia jump through hoops to incorporate it for their graphics cards, then there's a decent chance - especially if they make it an open standard.

But it all relies on everything going pretty much perfectly, and AMD being nice to Nvidia.

Durante

This post from the other thread summarizes my thoughts on the subject:
It might become an open standard later, but if it became genuinely open it would completely undermine AMD's only reason for expending money on it, which is a leg-up over nVidia due to the fact that there's GCN-based GPU parts in PS4 and Xbone. Since it would go against AMD's interests to make a genuinely open standard that nVidia can easily implement for similar performance gains, I'm pretty sure 'I'll believe it when I see it' is a pretty reasonable response to the concept of Mantle being open, and not at all FUD.
It might still happen, never say never and all, but I don't consider it likely.

Edit: thinking about it some more, since AMD is also in the business of selling weaker (particularly in sequential performance) CPUs to gamers they do have something to gain by generally improving even open APIs for CPU dependency/multithreading.

AMD decided to build a API to compensate what they cannot achieve with their hardware I guess Nvidia will continue to either push their hardware and OpenGL or in worst case build their own API, I hope this will not be the case cause developing PC games in the future is gonna be a real nightmare for developers.

Not really... DirectX isn't going away... if competing APIs come out from both vendors, games will either support everything, or DX + money hatted API, or just DX if they are going cheap.

As for Nvidia going mantle? The way it sounds, AMD is willing to ditch Mantle for another API if it gives the same/similar results if it becomes a standard. Undoubtedly AMD would PREFER Mantle to be successful and that their talks in the coming months would help further it as a standard... but you know, even if doesn't, hopefully at least SOME of the improvements make it in some form or another.

Eh, AMD expends money on research and development for the Open GL standard, which of course is open source and benefits competetiors.

I don't think there's much to ponder there. It's possible they just want the credit for pushing change.

As for Nvidia going mantle? The way it sounds, AMD is willing to ditch Mantle for another API if it gives the same/similar results if it becomes a standard. Undoubtedly AMD would PREFER Mantle to be successful and that their talks in the coming months would help further it as a standard... but you know, even if doesn't, hopefully at least SOME of the improvements make it in some form or another.
So (and my understanding of this is limited) have they architected their hardware to take advantage of Mantle or is it purely their drivers making use of it? If the latter, and if the API's open enough, other manufacturers should be able to hook in easily enough.

If the former, then others have a bit of work to do to catch up, or as others have suggested, come up with their own solutions.

So (and my understanding of this is limited) have they architected their hardware to take advantage of Mantle or is it purely their drivers making use of it? If the latter, and if the API's open enough, other manufacturers should be able to hook in easily enough.

If the former, then others have a bit of work to do to catch up, or as others have suggested, come up with their own solutions.
Neither of those are completely accurate. They've designed mantle to work with all their GCN hardware, not the other way around.

Apart of the package is a thinner driver layer but it's not the whole package.

From the other thread;

They've never said that its currently an open standard but theyve been lobbying for other IHVs to come together and make it an open standard.

Untitled11.jpg

Q: Is Mantle a proprietary AMD technology?

A: Mantle was conceived and developed by AMD in partnership with leading game developers.
This enabled the fast and agile development required to validate the concepts and bring such the technology to life in a relatively short period of time. However, Mantle was designed in a way that makes it applicable to a range of modern GPU architectures. In the months ahead, we will be inviting more partners to participate in the development program, leading up to a public release of the specifications later in 2014. Our intention is for Mantle, or something that looks very much like it, to eventually become an industry standard applicable to multiple graphics architectures and platforms.

riflen

The ideal solution would be for both to push OpenGL as hard as they can.

I agree, but I can't see things clearing up until later this year when AMD say the API will be open to scrutiny by all.

Mantle only exists because of AMD's console hardware. They saw an opportunity to use that position to their advantage in the PC space. There are only so many developers, so much time and so many titles in development at any one time. If AMD can make cross-platform development more straight-forward for devs, while also promising greater performance than DX on like hardware, that's potentially a huge plus for their Radeon line.

But, AMD need adoption for Mantle to be worthwhile and I don't think they'll see that adoption unless nVidia write a Mantle driver for Geforce GPUs. Without that, devs will have to write for two renderers if they want to sell enough copies to make money on PC. Writing a game for multiple renderers for dubious benefit is not going to be popular with many.

Studios are all ready tooled up for DirectX development and some popular engines already have OpenGL renderers. It's going to be a tough sell for AMD.

Newboi

I honestly think Nvidia's response to this will be to seriously push OpenGL and invest in making development with that platform easier.

Nvidia generally produces faster hardware, they have excellent OpenGL support, and their are already API calls inherent to OpenGL that produce similar results as Mantle.

Nvidia doesn't need a custom API as their performance is generally better anyways. Leveling the playing field with a push for OpenGL will only push things back into their favor.

Has anyone used Mantle with a Phenom II x4 965 and either a 7870 or a 7970? How big is the improvement? If I can put off getting an FX series CPU for a while I could get a much better GPU than my 6870 much sooner.

I honestly think Nvidia's response to this will be to seriously push OpenGL and invest in making development with that platform easier.

Nvidia generally produces faster hardware, they have excellent OpenGL support, and their are already API calls inherent to OpenGL that produce similar results as Mantle.

Nvidia doesn't need a custom API as their performance is generally better anyways. Leveling the playing field with a push for OpenGL will only push things back into their favor.

I see a strong push with Valve coming in the future, with a bevy of titles launching with superior Open GL performance in comparison to DX11.

If the leaks are true, Valve could be announcing Source 2 and potentially HL3 + L4D3, both of which I'd expect to have strong N-Vidia and Open GL support.

I really hope that is the case. If both Nvidia and Valve push OpenGL it will be a much better outcome for PC gaming in general. Still, kudos to AMD for getting the ball rolling on api optimization.

golem

Studios are all ready tooled up for DirectX development and some popular engines already have OpenGL renderers. It's going to be a tough sell for AMD.

With support for Cryengine (Star Citizen), Unreal (Thief) and Frostbite AMD already has a large portion of the engine market covered.

I couldn't possibly care less whether it's mantle or a more optimized OpenGL... what I want is a good solid API that allows developers to optimize games themselves (IE get past having to wait weeks or months for driver updates to do it) and have as little overhead as possible.

OpenGL has the benefit right now of being an open standard and cross platform... but the tools and enthusiasm for the API is still lack luster at best. Mantle has some good opening momentum but is currently locked down to a single platform and vendor with just a promise of it being possible to be cross platform/vendor.

AJLma

Mantle or some kind of Mantle like API will become a necessity 2-3 years down the line when console developers start making heavy use of GPU compute.

I'm sure they already are in the case of games like The Order 1886 and Quantum Break.

shandy706

Computerbase also put a "preview" article up (they'll presumably do a more in-depth one later).

capture1azuye.png
capture2r7uv2.png

Isn't the GTX 770 $100 cheaper than the 280x?

The comparisons seem off because of things like that.

Seems like for $300 you would be better off with Nvidia's card. (I'm personally a fan of the $300 price range..that's the best bang for the buck IMO) However, it definitely gives you a nice little boost if you already have an AMD card.

5fps+ boost on the mid-upper cards is a significant gain to many enthusiasts, so that's pretty cool.

Shhh... truth-facts have no business in this thread!

I don't know about truth-facts :p, but I know about common sense.

They are making an engine, they will want to use it and sell it to third parties. If they would sabotage their own Direct 3d performance (which is what most people will use from here to x years even if Mantle goes well), they would make a poor case for marketing their own engine.

With support for Cryengine (Star Citizen), Unreal (Thief) and Frostbite AMD already has a large portion of the engine market covered.

I really hope that Bethesda and Firaxis will support Mantle in the near-future too. Their games are always CPU-dependent. If I understand Mantle correctly, it would help their performance significantly with CPU-limited builds, unless I have it backwards.

Is anyone else having trouble with AMD Overdrive not working with 14.1? My GPU clock is stuck at 925mhz even though I have set it back to 1100mhz :/

belmonkey

Slightly off-topic, but will the supposed integrated ARM CPUs on Maxwell GPUs help offer any improvements similar to Mantle? I've heard that a few times, but dunno what kind of help an ARM CPU would offer.

Perkel

Banned
Slightly off-topic, but will the supposed integrated ARM CPUs on Maxwell GPUs help offer any improvements similar to Mantle? I've heard that a few times, but dunno what kind of help an ARM CPU would offer.

I think it is for compute.

GPUs are not problem here it is API which they are using. R290X under Mantle is same hardware as under DirectX.

artist

Banned
Oxide Games said:
We just deployed a new build of our Star Swarm stress test that significantly improves the demo’s performance using AMD’s Mantle API. We suggest that those of you interested in benchmarking and performance numbers re-run your Mantle scenarios; you may be surprised at the results.

Did we crack some secret code or find a crazy new optimization? No, nothing so spectacular. The truth is that we made a mistake in our haste to deploy the build that stripped out the activation process. We didn’t follow our normal release process, and missed how a minor change in that build had disabled some of the Nitrous engine’s multi-threading features when using Mantle. Unfortunately we didn’t notice that at first, as nobody was running Mantle last week due to the beta driver being delayed.

It’s all fixed now, so Mantle users should see a noticeable boost in performance on most configurations (this fix doesn’t have a huge effect on powerful-CPU/slow-GPU systems). We’ve also addressed the “gray screen” issue that was affecting some non-English Windows systems.

http://oxidegames.com/2014/02/04/new-star-swarm-build-better-mantle-performance/

Dolor

StarSwarm works fine on all GCN cards. On BF4 however, DICE did not have "time" to optimize for all cards [
~_~
].

I tried it once already on my card with the 14.1 drivers, and it failed immediately but ran fine in DX11. I will try again as I would like to see if the gains play out.

kamicowzi

Banned
I downloaded the 14.1 beat drivers yesterday, and both the StarSwarm demo and BF 4 allowed me to use Mantle. (Sapphire 7870 XT card and FX 8350 CPU)

I don't have the exact numbers, but I ran StarSwarm without the beat drivers in DX11 on extreme settings and I believe I averaged around 18 - 20 FPS. With Mantle I believe my average was just about 30. It did have a hell of a lot of slowdown when a lot of ships were on the screen which is to be assumed.

I haven't really gave BF 4 a try yet. I just popped in to the video options to see if I could change the API, and lo and behold, I could. I think it may have something to do with the fact that even though my card is a 7800 series, it uses the Tahiti chipset like the 7900 series.

mario_O

Welp..

i7 2700K
Radeon 7970
Extreme configuration

Old Star Swarm build

DirectX

== Results ================================================
Test Duration: 360 Seconds
Total Frames: 11493

Average FPS: 31.92
Average Unit Count: 4284
Maximum Unit Count: 5329
Average Batches/MS: 567.77
Maximum Batches/MS: 1402.73
Average Batch Count: 20487
Maximum Batch Count: 152402
===========================================================

Mantle

Total Frames: 17712

Average FPS: 49.20
Average Unit Count: 4496
Maximum Unit Count: 5861
Average Batches/MS: 1021.41
Maximum Batches/MS: 2589.44
Average Batch Count: 23038
Maximum Batch Count: 112083

New Star Swarm build

DirectX

Total Frames: 12442

Average FPS: 34.56
Average Unit Count: 4292
Maximum Unit Count: 5383
Average Batches/MS: 522.76
Maximum Batches/MS: 1381.26
Average Batch Count: 17846
Maximum Batch Count: 144404

Mantle

Total Frames: 16519

Average FPS: 45.88
Average Unit Count: 4370
Maximum Unit Count: 5548
Average Batches/MS: 891.14
Maximum Batches/MS: 3013.37
Average Batch Count: 21647
Maximum Batch Count: 95959

Panda Rin

Ran star swam on DX11 and Mantle just now, these are my findings:

AMD Sapphire 7950
i5 3570k @ 3.40 GHz

(Extreme - Follow)
DX11: 25.43 FPS
Mantle: 38.55 FPS

It was a very noticeable change. I don't think it ever dipped below 10-15 FPS with Mantle, while with DX11 it went as low as 5.

Guri

Nothink overclocked. First time I ran the demo.

== Hardware Configuration =================================
GPU: AMD Radeon HD 7900 Series
CPU: GenuineIntel
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2600K CPU @ 3.40GHz
Physical Cores: 4
Logical Cores: 8
Physical Memory: 17153708032
Allocatable Memory: 140737488224256

== Configuration ==========================================
API: DirectX
Scenario: ScenarioFollow.csv
User Input: Disabled
Resolution: 1920x1080
Fullscreen: True
GameCore Update: 16.6 ms
Bloom Quality: High
PointLight Quality: High
ToneCurve Quality: High
Glare Overdraw: 16
Shading Samples: 64
Shade Quality: Mid
Deferred Contexts: Disabled
Temporal AA Duration: 16
Temporal AA Time Slice: 2
Detailed Frame Info: Off

Total Frames: 11795

Average FPS: 32.76
Average Unit Count: 4208
Maximum Unit Count: 5745
Average Batches/MS: 502.30
Maximum Batches/MS: 1163.62
Average Batch Count: 17064
Maximum Batch Count: 83241

== Hardware Configuration =================================
GPU: AMD Radeon HD 7900 Series
CPU: GenuineIntel
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2600K CPU @ 3.40GHz
Physical Cores: 4
Logical Cores: 8
Physical Memory: 17153708032
Allocatable Memory: 140737488224256

== Configuration ==========================================
API: Mantle
Scenario: ScenarioFollow.csv
User Input: Disabled
Resolution: 1920x1080
Fullscreen: True
GameCore Update: 16.6 ms
Bloom Quality: High
PointLight Quality: High
ToneCurve Quality: High
Glare Overdraw: 16
Shading Samples: 64
Shade Quality: Mid
Deferred Contexts: Disabled
Temporal AA Duration: 16
Temporal AA Time Slice: 2
Detailed Frame Info: Off

Total Frames: 16324

Average FPS: 45.34
Average Unit Count: 4260
Maximum Unit Count: 5357
Average Batches/MS: 770.06
Maximum Batches/MS: 3749.29
Average Batch Count: 19853
Maximum Batch Count: 170372

Minion101

Banned
I went ahead and did another Direct X / Mantle comparison. Now that I figured out the graph command. I was originally taking screenshots in windowed mode which was lowering the Direct X FPS into the 30's (about minus 10 frames). Windowed mode seemingly has no framerate impact with mantle, which I thought was interesting. The building hadn't fallen down in these shots so there is much less fog,

Direct X
iXzc5QUd8TM2g.jpg

Mantle
iO3tQrtcTtR7u.jpg

From the other side of the map
----------------
Direct X
ibhpOsnVAKdlnX.jpg

Mantle
ibkpummuqxtvsI.jpg

Map: Siege of Shanghai 64 players
All setting on max except for "post AA"

CPU AMD FX 8120 (4.0hz)
GPU Radeon 7950 w/boost
Ram 16gigs

Does Mantel need to be 'switched on' in the settings somewhere? No matter what game I try or how many time I uninstall/reinstall the 14.1 drivers, my 7950 shows no noticeable difference in framerate compared to the old drivers.

Exuro

I went ahead and did another Direct X / Mantle comparison. Now that I figured out the graph command. I was originally taking screenshots in windowed mode which was lowering the Direct X FPS into the 30's (about minus 10 frames). Windowed mode seemingly has no framerate impact with mantle, which I thought was interesting. The building hadn't fallen down in these shots so there is much less fog,

Direct X
http://i.minus.com/iXzc5QUd8TM2g.jpg[IMG]

[B]Mantle[/B]
[IMG]http://i.minus.com/iO3tQrtcTtR7u.jpg[IMG]

From the other side of the map
----------------
[B]Direct X[/B]
[IMG]http://i.minus.com/ibhpOsnVAKdlnX.jpg[IMG]

[B]Mantle[/B]
[IMG]http://i.minus.com/ibkpummuqxtvsI.jpg[IMG]

Map: Siege of Shanghai 64 players
All setting on max except for "post AA"

CPU AMD FX 8120 (4.0hz)
GPU Radeon 7950 w/boost
Ram 16gigs[/QUOTE]What happened to the sky boxes?

Dawnblade

Banned
I'm probably going to be investing in a video card once my tax return comes in, and I was leaning towards Nvidia. Would it be wise to go AMD instead and make use of Mantle?

I'm running an i7 930 at the moment

Top Bottom